Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 10, 2019, 09:17 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
There's also the "too many front-ends" argument but let's be honest - Blizzard, Ubisoft, Microsoft and EA already require their own launchers (3/4 of those are already completely exclusive from Steam).
Why should Epic also not want a piece of the pie?

I don't think anyone hates launchers more than me, I absolutely abhor being forced to install new storefronts that require being run in the background.
But it's not going to change, it's the nature of the beast that is Digital Distribution.
This, 100%. +rep

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2019, 09:39 AM   #62
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
How *SNIP*re of the beast that is Digital Distribution.
Really don't think steam has to do anything at all.

As for exclusives, the way epic is doing it, absolutely is bad for the customer, there is a big difference from ea/ubisoft/etc games being exclusive on their own stores to starting a console war on pc.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:01 AM   #63
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post

As for exclusives, the way epic is doing it, absolutely is bad for the customer, there is a big difference from ea/ubisoft/etc games being exclusive on their own stores to starting a console war on pc.
Tell me more, how do you see this issue?

yoz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:37 PM   #64
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I hate exclusives, but that's a pretty brutal comparison. Consoles cost money and they're made by the same corporations that own the rights to their exclusives (in large part.) Your 2 examples are actually kinda similar.
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2019, 04:56 AM   #65
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
I hate exclusives, but that's a pretty brutal comparison. Consoles cost money and they're made by the same corporations that own the rights to their exclusives (in large part.) Your 2 examples are actually kinda similar.
While PS and Microbox definitely buy out games and publish them often enough, its only a portion of the exclusives. the majority of exclusives on consoles are not owned by either company. They do the exact thing that epic is doing. Paying a substantial fee to convince other publishers or indie devs to release solely on their console.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 04:35 AM   #66
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

If the higher-ups at Steam aren't on Orange Alert right now then they are stupid.

Epic exclusives aren't bad for the customer at all.
In this particular case the normies who do not care what launcher they have to use very much have it right, as this doesn't hurt us and so shouldn't concern us.

This is capitalism working as intended; big publishers competing with each other to guarantee game delivery to the consumer by offering a hand-up to the developer.

The only cardinal sin being committed here is that the elite PC gamer enthusiast is being inconvenienced.

Quote:
While PS and Microbox definitely buy out games and publish them often enough, its only a portion of the exclusives. the majority of exclusives on consoles are not owned by either company. They do the exact thing that epic is doing. Paying a substantial fee to convince other publishers or indie devs to release solely on their console.
If the situation is to be compared to console wars, then it's definitely taking all the best parts of it without being held back by the bad ones like being forced to buy an entirely new device to have access to all the games out there.

Hell, aren't some console exclusives now planning a PC release thanks to Epic throwing money their way, exactly how Sony and Microsoft do for their respective platforms?
And all we as the consumer has to do is install a different launcher.

Last edited by saumilsingh : Apr 12, 2019 at 05:44 AM.
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2019, 06:23 AM   #67
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

The issues this creates and the detriment on gamers and consumers a like is not something i am capable of explaining in a forum post.

However, in an obtuse kind of way it is akin to killing criminals so there are less criminals in the world to commit crimes. A positive outcome does NOT indicate a positive execution or way of thinking/belief. While it IS capitalism as intended, it is NOT capitalism as a benefit to society.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 01:44 PM   #68
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
While it IS capitalism as intended, it is NOT capitalism as a benefit to society.
Capitalism, as I know it, does not exist for the benefit of anyone except owners/shareholders.

yoz
Old Apr 12, 2019, 05:51 PM   #69
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
While PS and Microbox definitely buy out games and publish them often enough, its only a portion of the exclusives. the majority of exclusives on consoles are not owned by either company.
If Sony is the pub doesn't that mean they own it?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 06:19 PM   #70
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
If Sony is the pub doesn't that mean they own it?
No

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2019, 07:27 PM   #71
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I support more front ends,more stores, more launchers, more competition.

Steam needs to get off their lazy (non-making new Half Life) ,smug,complacent backsides and do something.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 07:52 PM   #72
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
I support more front ends,more stores, more launchers, more competition.

Steam needs to get off their lazy (non-making new Half Life) ,smug,complacent backsides and do something.
My concern about more launchers is that they all cannot succeed and stay forever. What happens to our licenses once these launchers go down? Can we still download? Can we even install without an operable launcher? I realise we don't really own games anymore at all, but I would rather not risk them to every fly-by-night that decides to make a new storefront launcher.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2019, 03:18 AM   #73
borat
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
No
My mistake then, shadowcult. Still I'd rather install a new launcher then buy a new console.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 04:32 AM   #74
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
My concern about more launchers is that they all cannot succeed and stay forever. What happens to our licenses once these launchers go down? Can we still download? Can we even install without an operable launcher? I realise we don't really own games anymore at all, but I would rather not risk them to every fly-by-night that decides to make a new storefront launcher.
This is why I only buy on big named company launchers.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 03:57 PM   #75
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Welcome to digital distribution.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 05:43 PM   #76
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Welcome to digital distribution.
Back in my day I could buy a game online and it would be a self-installing archive that you would have to backup yourself. That's how I bought Witcher 1 from Atari - but I lost the .zips and re-bought it on GoG
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 12:09 AM   #77
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Worldwide live streaming game play reveal tomorrow May 1, starting at 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 01:31 PM   #78
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

looks great
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 01:38 PM   #79
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The cell shading of Borderland games just doesn't do it for me.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 02:12 PM   #80
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wow they changed absolutely nothing in the game. Would be a 5 dolla purchase.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:17 PM   #81
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I dont know why they needed to do a whole gameplay stream reveal. Its Borderlands with a new story and more guns made by Gearbox. Its what everyone wanted and we didnt need some stream to confirm that.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 08:00 PM   #82
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hopefully we can still remove the black line shader like in the best - game looks a lot better to me without out.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 10:48 PM   #83
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Watched 5 minutes of game play. Not quiet sure what has changed from the originals? Or at least from "Pre Sequel" which I'm playing at the moment. Slide into cover and some taunts before death from AI?

Do I need to watch more to see something new?
Old May 1, 2019, 11:04 PM   #84
KAC
That postcount though...

There is nothing new.
Old May 2, 2019, 09:02 AM   #85
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
There is nothing new.
New sliding mechanic
New mantling (wall climbing) mechanic
Weapons with dual fire modes which include different types of ammo
Oil barrels/surrounding oils can be set on fire for AOE
New melee mechanics, looks more powerful and you can punch barrels towards enemies

Those are some really good changes, but I stopped watching there since I didn't want the 4 hours worth of spoilers
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019, 06:02 PM   #86
Megaman
Packing heat!

The only thing new about Borderlands 3 is Epic exclusivity!
Old May 2, 2019, 06:54 PM   #87
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
New sliding mechanic
New mantling (wall climbing) mechanic
Weapons with dual fire modes which include different types of ammo
Oil barrels/surrounding oils can be set on fire for AOE
New melee mechanics, looks more powerful and you can punch barrels towards enemies

Those are some really good changes, but I stopped watching there since I didn't want the 4 hours worth of spoilers
That’s like saying my turd is now dark brown.
Old May 2, 2019, 09:32 PM   #88
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not sure what people are expecting....top-down strategy game?
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 12:39 AM   #89
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Super special awesome spoiler warning. Shows some cool new stuff though.

Old May 3, 2019, 11:09 PM   #90
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Launcher only matters to me if the game uses two launchers aka steam then Uplay. Rather just have a Uplay copy (ac ody I opted for Uplay over steam less drm too). Other than that it doesn't bother me. No duel launcher rather have it on steam as that's where most of my library is at.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote