Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:12 AM   #1471
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
i'm a sucker for those boxes, i always kept all of them.
Me too, but they were the least of my concerns when I moved out when I was 20.

But even if I had them, I certainly wouldn't keep the games in the actual boxes. It just makes zero sense at all. Unless you want to display them and never actually play the games. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to display the actual boxes. I just wouldn't have the games in them.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:19 AM   #1472
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Me too, but they were the least of my concerns when I moved out when I was 20.

But even if I had them, I certainly wouldn't keep the games in the actual boxes. It just makes zero sense at all. Unless you want to display them and never actually play the games. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to display the actual boxes. I just wouldn't have the games in them.
that's what i do

I have a friend who bought all his games as boxed versions, stepped out of the store, ripped the box open, took the cd/dvd and put the rest into the next trashbin. I was horrified

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:43 AM   #1473
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
that's what i do

I have a friend who bought all his games as boxed versions, stepped out of the store, ripped the box open, took the cd/dvd and put the rest into the next trashbin. I was horrified
I never imagined "collecting" any of this when I was 15yrs old and getting these games for christmas/birthdays...but I could never bear to throw any of the stuff out.

But as someone who actually plays the games AND being a collector...pulling the game out of the box every time I want to play it and risk tearing up the box? Hell no, not to mention just a pain in the ass over walking across the room and pulling it off the shelf.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:17 PM   #1474
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
that's what i do

That's what I always did for my console and big box PC games. I never kept the boxes, just never valued them at all. Figured its cardboard and not meant to be saved. Growing up in a family of five sharing everything with two younger brothers I knew it would have been futile trying to keep cardboard in good condition anyways. Maybe if I was an only child would have been a different story. I lost so much over the years though because my brothers and I just tore through everything, and lived in a small 4 room urban city apartment.

But yeah any games that came in a hard case, like Sega or disc based games with CD/DVD cases I would of course keep. We were a bit older by that point anyways.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2020, 03:08 PM   #1475
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

I had kept all my boxes until the 90's sometime and then tossed them out Why would it be worth keeping this cardboard I figured.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2020, 03:28 PM   #1476
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

And that is the secret to investment collecting.

Find what people think is garbage now, and hold onto it. Decades later it might be worth some $.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 09:46 PM   #1477
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Some new additions for NES: Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Master Blaster, and Adventures of Lolo.

Decided Contra would be the first game I play to start beating some of them, and beat it tonight. It's a lot easier than I remember, and was the first time I played it since around 9 or 10yrs old. I had maybe 2-3hrs into it tops, and pretty much remembered where everything was and was making it to levels 5 and 6 without dying once. I remember it being so dang hard. Guess my pattern recognition skills have improved a little since then.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:17 AM   #1478
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Cool games.

Yeah Contra was a tough game as a kid, until the Konami code became a thing. Got lots of practice on all the levels with 30 lives, so after a while I got so good I could beat the game with no deaths. Still can, and now I always try to do it as fast as possible. Its like a 20 minute romp through whenever I'm feeling like blasting 8-bit aliens. Must have beat it over 100 times.

Blaster Master is a great game too, but really tough on the NES with no save or password system. You essentially need to beat the game in one sitting, and it can get hard. I much rather play the game on emulator with save states. Less hardcore but more enjoyable.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:27 AM   #1479
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Awesome, I hear a lot of good things about Blaster Master so decided to give it a shot. It's on the vast majority of the top NES games list I've looked over and I just remember seeing a lot of ads for it when I was a kid.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Sep 9, 2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:42 AM   #1480
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Blaster Master is one of my all-time favs.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:46 AM   #1481
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Blaster Master is one of my all-time favs.
i've never heard of this game

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Old Sep 9, 2020, 01:14 PM   #1482
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Sep 9, 2020, 01:19 PM   #1483
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I love Beyond Thunderdome.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 08:23 PM   #1484
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Got my first reproduction game today. Final Fantasy II with English translation. Checked it out briefly, just the starting sequence of the story where you get full control and can explore. Seems decent, and the English translation is perfect so far.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Sep 28, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:47 PM   #1485
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Cool. Where you get it from? Ebay seller, or a specific online store?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:57 PM   #1486
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Bought it firsthand straight from OCDreproductions. I did some searching online to vet them out a bit and it seemed legit. Price was a bit high to me, but I didn't see a good alternative for this kind of option.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:56 AM   #1487
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

The stuff you find while searching for something completely different.. (sorry for the potatoe quality..)

need to clean that stuff, it sat in a garage for i dunno how long....maybe 30 years or longer?

Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:09 AM   #1488
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

You dug up some relics there man, awesome!

Have to say, discovering your actual owned stuff from childhood is far better than re-buying it. Feels so good like a warm blanket.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:07 PM   #1489
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

the stuff actually still works, i'm surprised

Old Nov 16, 2020, 01:54 PM   #1490
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
No surprise here. All the older cartridge based stuff will probably outlive us. Very simple tech that was built like a tank. As long as everything is clean, and capacitors are good.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 03:45 PM   #1491
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Nice!! That's awesome. I've been trying to do the same from my parents in the house I grew up in. I grabbed all the games a long time ago, and now just trying to get all the boxes and strategy guides I kept when I was little. I'll get them some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
No surprise here. All the older cartridge based stuff will probably outlive us. Very simple tech that was built like a tank. As long as everything is clean, and capacitors are good.
Yeah, no kidding. I have no doubt most of this stuff will be around longer than us.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 23, 2020, 03:39 PM   #1492
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Default funny to see what people throw away

Some findings

And yes, all of them are complete and fully functional. The box of the steering wheel is in bad shape, no wonder, it sat on the street for 2 days

Old Jan 8, 2021, 04:32 PM   #1493
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Nearly finished with the Nintendo shelves. Just need to make up a few more backstops to stick on the shelves to keep the games straight and organized. Then also hang a couple brackets for the bottom shelf.

The Nintendo side of my game collection looks tiny when it's all out on the shelves. Plenty of room to grow! Second shelf is for more NES, 4th shelf is for more SNES. My favorites. I don't think I'll grow past a single shelf for N64, and I made that one tall enough to display as is, or lay the games on the sides so the labels face out like all the others. Will also be ordering the top labels soon. Intention was to have Gamecube on its own shelf, with Wii/WiiU/Switch on the bottom shelf. We'll see.

Might put some Nintendo figures or something on top, don't know yet. I really wanted to display the console systems themselves. So...maybe I'll get longer brackets/deeper shelves for the bottom and do that. I was also thinking about making LED lights somehow to light up the labels, but I'm not sure how to do that just yet without it looking all funky since the games are set up to the ege of the shelf.

Any thoughts or advice?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 9, 2021, 09:25 AM   #1494
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Your power outlet is upside down.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 09:35 AM   #1495
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I don't really have any suggestions, looks good! Will definitely look sweet if you can fill them someday.

Only advice i ever really give about game shelves is try to estimate your needed future space for your planned collection as well as you can, or just have enough free wall space to expand. I know you are not a huge collector but you never know. When i started getting serious into collecting and hitting garage sales and thrift stores a lot i quickly amassed more games than i had shelving for and had to rethink it.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:53 PM   #1496
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's a coded message to his fellow Satan worshippers.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 02:48 PM   #1497
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Courtesy of the previous home owners. This was a 2nd spare bedroom that I rarely used or had guests that's now my office. I just haven't bothered with swapping it around yet.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 11, 2021, 08:56 AM   #1498
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

ain't looking bad, but as open as it is it will collect dust like mad.

Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:20 AM   #1499
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

So I've been waiting for the Super NT Analogue to become available for 8mo to a year now. I'm not confident they'll ever be in stock.

Any of you guys run into another FPGA based SNES console that runs 720P or 1080P?

The only other one I've come across so far is the open source MiSTer, but it doesn't appear to do any higher resolution stuff and takes a bit of tweaking to get it to work. Not really interested in something like that though either.

Just looking to see what else might be out there that I've missed.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:54 AM   #1500
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I was only ever aware of Analogue's products as being good quality FPGA based. Which is probably why they are constantly out of stock. But they really are the best company for quality SNES HD retro gaming.