Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Rail Grinder
Radeon R300

Rail Grinder is still being judged by the masses

Question dual monitors w/ supported and non-supported radeons + cat 6.6

just how would i deal with my system that's got an aiw 9700pro (supported) and a sapphire 9250 (non-supported) pci card? would i have to install a previous cat version first THEN install 6.6?

i don't have the time and patience to be juggling two different versions of the catalyst drivers just so i can have dual-monitor support (for those who don't know, aiw's except the x800xl/xt version, only have a single dvi output and you'll need a separate pci card for dual/multi-monitors).

i COULD just install 6.5 and lower, but i'm just curious as to how this particular situation should be handled.

SERVER || Barton 2500+ XP OC'd @ 3200+ :: 1Gb Geil DDR3200 (512x2) :: ASRock K7S41-GX :: ATI AIW 9700 Pro :: Sapphire 9250 256MB PCI :: 1.36TB [400GB, 300GBx2, 120GBx3] :: Lite-On LTC-48161S :: BenQ DW-1640
Rail Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:10 PM   #2
mad_arab
Radeon R300

mad_arab is still being judged by the masses

What's up with them dropping support for older cards anyway? Seems like pure laziness to me... Not everyone upgrades that frequently. And what about Vista, will these older cards even work? Not just lazy when I'm thinking of it... arrogant too.
mad_arab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

I'm extremely unhappy about this also.

I use an X1900XT + PCI 7000 for my quad display, & now with ATi deciding to so kindly quit supporting my 7000, i will have to stay stuck with the 6.5 for ages.

As for the older cards being out of production, sure, but have you ever noticed how the 7000, 7500, 9200, 9250 are still being sold pretty much everywhere?

I'm disappointed, but i'm not surprised.

I used to consider ATi's drivers superior to nVidia's due to regular updates & fewer issues, but then they created the Catalyst Bloat Centre & now this, amongst a few other issues...

Certainly making my decision to buy an SLI motherboard seem smarter

n7

n7

Last edited by -n7- : Jun 26, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7-
Certainly making my decision to buy an SLI motherboard seem smarter
Old Jun 27, 2006, 06:35 AM   #5
tstewart

tstewart is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre
Apparently I may have been wrong before, you should be able to install the R200 type card drivers 6.5 and earlier and then install the 6.6 or later for anything higher if you have a dual card setup. This works as both cards have independent device ID's. Worth a try anyway.

Reasons why its discontinued:

The cards are no longer in production, haven't been for years. Fairly ancient in computer terms (7000 was brought out in 2000 and the 8500 in 2001)

Hardly anyone reports any driver issues for them. Can you remember the last time a R200 or R100 issue was fixed in the release notes? (not counting onboard video that is)

There haven't been any speed boosts for them in years either since they appear to be at the limit already. So no real need for a new driver every month.

ATI having to support 20+ desktop cards is getting a bit much, especially when the ones being dropped are DX7 and DX8.1 which fewer and fewer games are supporting these days.

Lets not forget financial and resource reasons, low market share for those products means its increasingly harder to justify the cost of new drivers.

I'm sure I am no doubt missing a few other reasons.

There may or may not be a new driver for those products if a critical bug arises.
Spyre,
Is what your saying, if I already have the Cat 6.5's installed, just run the cat 6.6's. I have an X1900XtX and an PCI 7000 that I use for a second monitor. If I uninstall drivers as usual and reinstall 6.5's it will install for both cards and I will be right back to where I am now. Then if I run the Cat 6.6's it will load only for the X1900XTX. Is this correct or is there a better way to do this?
Thank-You for the help.
tstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstewart
Spyre,
Is what your saying, if I already have the Cat 6.5's installed, just run the cat 6.6's. I have an X1900XtX and an PCI 7000 that I use for a second monitor. If I uninstall drivers as usual and reinstall 6.5's it will install for both cards and I will be right back to where I am now. Then if I run the Cat 6.6's it will load only for the X1900XTX. Is this correct or is there a better way to do this?
Thank-You for the help.

You should still be able to manually chose drivers through the device manager in windows. So I would think that you could install Cats 6.6, and then find the 7000 in the device manager and set it's driver manually. You'll just have to keep a copy of the driver around to install when necessary.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Tolo

Tolo is still being judged by the masses

Ok this may sound like a silly question but - when they say they've stopped supporting those older cards did they actually take them out of the install ini and not let them install or did they take the old code that would support them out? What would make the greatest sense to me would be that the older code for these cards would be INCLUDED in the latest software release but no longer developed?!? So the Catalyst suite would still install for older cards - just that anything being developed for them would stop at the 6.5 revision of code.

Now if ATI totally took the code and install ability for the older cards out - that's whacked!!
Tolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 03:48 PM   #8
jmscott42
Radeon R520

jmscott42 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolo
Ok this may sound like a silly question but - when they say they've stopped supporting those older cards did they actually take them out of the install ini and not let them install or did they take the old code that would support them out? What would make the greatest sense to me would be that the older code for these cards would be INCLUDED in the latest software release but no longer developed?!? So the Catalyst suite would still install for older cards - just that anything being developed for them would stop at the 6.5 revision of code.

Now if ATI totally took the code and install ability for the older cards out - that's whacked!!
Especially because the webpage doesn't really reflect this change very well and what to do about it if you only have an older model. Imagine going and buying a Radeon 9550 today, going to ATI, and seeing your card isn't supported-- they really need to break the links from just saying "Radeon" to "Radeon 9700 and newer" and "Radeon 9500 and lower". Or at least provide a link for users of older cards on the Cat 6.6 (and future) download pages back to 6.5!

(is there an easy link that doesn't require 5 pages of registration to use to write ATI about this?)
jmscott42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:32 AM   #9
tstewart

I spent 2 hours last night working with the 6.6 drivers and this is what I found out. If you uninstall your existing drivers and load the 6.6 drivers they will load fine for my X1900xtx. Now when I go into device manager and point to the 6.5 drivers they do load and detect the 7000 pci card. Now when you reboot the second monitor with the 7000 does work but the CCC does not work any more for the 1900. I tried this on 2 different machines. It doesn't make sense. Now if you leave the 6.5 drivers on machine and do not uninstall and just run the 6.6 drivers, it will update the X1900xtx to the 6.6 drivers and the CCC will work and retain the settings you had prior to updating. Is this method ok to use the newer drivers or if you do not uninstall the prior drivers will you still have reminants of the 6.5's carry over to the 6.6's. I always uninstalled the drivers and ran drivercleaner before updating to new drivers.
Thank-You for the help
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:51 PM   #10
ArchAngelCD
Radeon R700

ArchAngelCD is still being judged by the masses

Rail Grinder and tstewart,
I know this will sound like a lot of work but it really isn't that much work to fix.

All you need to do is open the .inf file from the CAT 6.5 drivers, find the line(s) in the .inf file that referances your card under the [Manufacturer] section, copy the line(s) into the .inf file for the CAT 6.6 drivers and they will install correctly with your older card.

The drivers are stored in the ATI\Support\6-5_xp-2k_xxxxxx folder.

Good luck and please let me know if you get it to work. (you will)
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:03 PM   #11
tstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD
Rail Grinder and tstewart,
I know this will sound like a lot of work but it really isn't that much work to fix.

All you need to do is open the .inf file from the CAT 6.5 drivers, find the line(s) in the .inf file that referances your card under the [Manufacturer] section, copy the line(s) into the .inf file for the CAT 6.6 drivers and they will install correctly with your older card.

The drivers are stored in the ATI\Support\6-5_xp-2k_xxxxxx folder.

Good luck and please let me know if you get it to work. (you will)
Just copied the 6.5 reference lines(7200) and pasted into 6.6 inf. and cat 6.6 would get to the 7200 and say driver is not certified and I loaded it anyway. When I restarted the computer the 1900 was there but the 7200 had VGA card instead of the 7200. I tried to update the driver within device manager and driver stated no XP compatible driver available. I dug deeper into the 6.5 inf that I copied the manufacturer - 7200 files and there is all types of references to the RV100 which is the chip that is used in the 7200. I looked into the 6.6 and no reference to the RV100. I guess you would have to copy all the references to get the new drivers to work with older cards if that would even work.