Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

View Poll Results: Which car would you pick?
2016 Audi R8 V10 Plus 13 68.42%
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default 2016 Audi R8 V10 Plus vs. 2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Which car would you pick? I'd most likely go for the new R8 V10 Plus for the following reasons:

1. N/A V10 with a high rpm redline.
2. Mid-engine instead of rear-engine.
3. Much better sound.
4. More "visceral" (the 911 Turbo S is bit of a softy in most ways).
5. Faster or at least as fast.

I'm sure there are more than I am not thinking of right now.

Note: I'm talking about the 991.2 Turbo S (facelifted) that has 580 hp.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

probably an Audi R8, cuz it it gots a more exotic supercar look to it.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:34 AM   #3
Xplode
Radeon Northern Islands

Xplode is still being judged by the masses

Well the Porsche is a better car just about in every way. I doubt the R8 would be faster then even the current 911 Turbo let alone the new one. Sound is debatable but I'd give a slight edge to the R8. But the R8 is one of the prettiest cars ever made IMO so this wouldn't even be close, R8 all day every day.

Now the only problem is the new R8 is coming out in the next 6 months. Although I happen to see it at the Auto Show a month back and it just wasn't as nice. The back end is very nice but the front end looks all squished up and out of proportion.
Hamixda, a top-secret pc-loving-console-hating fanboy bot that spams websites with 50 posts a day. He took 3 years to develop, but they're still working out alot of bugs, since there still seems to be serious issues with his logic and common sense A.I.
Quote:
Well, it's been a LOOOONNNNNGGGG waiT.... - Chubz
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 21, 2015, 02:52 AM   #4
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

not bad, but also not droolworthy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

What do you plan to do with the car? If the car will never see a race track, Audi without a doubt. It's a much better "around the town" car. The Porsche is the better handling car out of the box, but it won't matter if you aren't at a track. Even "canyon driving" as some do won't show the differences.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:49 AM   #6
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
What do you plan to do with the car? If the car will never see a race track, Audi without a doubt. It's a much better "around the town" car. The Porsche is the better handling car out of the box, but it won't matter if you aren't at a track. Even "canyon driving" as some do won't show the differences.
IMHO, The Porsche is more practical as a daily driver, having more cargo capacity and a 2+2 configuration that makes it possible to carry two adults or a couple kids in the back.

With the right tires, I would take the 911 over the R8 in winter as well.

And why not pick the one that is not only faster but handles better? who cares if you never take it to the track.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If I were able to afford either car I'd probably want the Porsche.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:54 AM   #8
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

(also extremely biased)

I have driven both cars, R8 was fun just not my thing.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
IMHO, The Porsche is more practical as a daily driver, having more cargo capacity and a 2+2 configuration that makes it possible to carry two adults or a couple kids in the back.
2 adults in the back? Maybe for a quick trip, but it's anything but practical. That's obviously not something he's looking for as if he was, neither car is a good option.

Quote:
With the right tires, I would take the 911 over the R8 in winter as well.
You are really smoking something here... Nothing beats Audi's AWD system. I've seen the Porsche guys in my area as they used to have a winter Auto-X event for the first snow (with the AWD guys).

Quote:
And why not pick the one that is not only faster but handles better? who cares if you never take it to the track.
The ride quality is more comfortable in the Audi. It's more of a touring type car than a pure sports car. That, and the interior is better...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:28 PM   #10
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
2 adults in the back? Maybe for a quick trip, but it's anything but practical. That's obviously not something he's looking for as if he was, neither car is a good option.
I defined "around the town" car as having "some" practical abilities. At least with the 911 you have the option.

Quote:
You are really smoking something here... Nothing beats Audi's AWD system. I've seen the Porsche guys in my area as they used to have a winter Auto-X event for the first snow (with the AWD guys).
I knew this as I wrote it BUT like your track example, in day to day experience the driver wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I drove a Carrera 4S for a week last winter, in terrible Canadian winter conditions -- it was great.

Quote:
The ride quality is more comfortable in the Audi. It's more of a touring type car than a pure sports car. That, and the interior is better...
Its all personal preference I guess.

Also, I would like to ask Kain, have you driven both cars? (on a track) to get a feel for them?

My guess is the average person, if they had to pick one car for their garage, and drove the two they would mostly pick the 911. The R8 just not as fast or as talented as the Porsche and it will force you to become a better driver.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
The R8 just not as fast or as talented as the Porsche and it will force you to become a better driver.
The R8, as I mentioned, is more of a touring car (GT as they are called today). It's not as nimble as a pure sports car, and it's not supposed to be. However, these are also the things that make it nicer to daily drive (in the same vain as your MB being much more "practical" for everyday use).

As far as an ill handling car making people a better driver, that is an old wise tale..
Old Dec 22, 2015, 01:03 AM   #12
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Audi, but I'd want to compare the Acura NSX as well at that price.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 02:12 AM   #13
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
....but I'd want to compare the Acura NSX as well at that price.
"Pricing has yet to be finalized but is expected to start in the “mid-$150K range,” according to Fini, with production starting this fall and deliveries to follow later in the year. "

While it looks kinda [email protected], 150k is a hefty pricetag. But, as usual, that might just be me

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:17 AM   #14
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Why do you guys ask questions about cars I'll never be able to afford? Bastards.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:38 AM   #15
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
The R8, as I mentioned, is more of a touring car (GT as they are called today). It's not as nimble as a pure sports car, and it's not supposed to be. However, these are also the things that make it nicer to daily drive (in the same vain as your MB being much more "practical" for everyday use).

As far as an ill handling car making people a better driver, that is an old wise tale..
The R8 is classified as a Touring car but its a Supercar -- I have driven the car twice, once on a track and once on a 3 hour road trip, awesome car but was I feeling, "Wow, this is so much more comfortable than my 911." -- not even a little bit.

Don't agree, owning a 911 fundamentally and completely changed how I viewed driving. And I never said ill handling -- it is just different.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:39 AM   #16
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Why do you guys ask questions about cars I'll never be able to afford? Bastards.
You and me both.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 01:44 PM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
And I never said ill handling -- it is just different.
There is a reason the Cayman is limited on power and that no one else puts the engine in the same spot as the 911.

Don't get me wrong, I love 911's but they are fundamentally flawed by design. That doesn't produce a great driver just from driving 911's. A great driver can learn the traits of any car.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 03:58 PM   #18
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Voted 911, because that one interests me more. I haven't driven either one yet.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 04:19 PM   #19
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
There is a reason the Cayman is limited on power and that no one else puts the engine in the same spot as the 911.

Don't get me wrong, I love 911's but they are fundamentally flawed by design. That doesn't produce a great driver just from driving 911's. A great driver can learn the traits of any car.
The Cayman is limited on power because it is an entry level Porsche, and it outperforming a 911 would look bad -- that is the one and only reason. That said, the engine placement is superior on the Cayman versus the 911 -- superior sports car platform IMO, which is why I want one.

The flawed design theory was true in the early 60's, since then with wider wheels, tires, a longer wheelbase and technology has changed that. Longer and wider over time making it easier to move and much more stable -- particularly when more power was injected. No other car has ever shown a production life 50+ years without an entire re-style or re-engineering of its basic foundation -- pretty sure if it was flawed they would have made a change...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 04:25 PM   #20
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
The flawed design theory was true in the early 60's, since then with wider wheels, tires, a longer wheelbase and technology has changed that. Longer and wider over time making it easier to move and much more stable -- particularly when more power was injected. No other car has ever shown a production life 50+ years without an entire re-style or re-engineering of its basic foundation -- pretty sure if it was flawed they would have made a change...

I don't see how it could be anything but a flawed design, the weight is entirely in the wrong place. But, after 50 years of engineering...they simply made it work. The evidence of this is in the Cayman, as already mentioned.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 05:02 PM   #21
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I don't see how it could be anything but a flawed design, the weight is entirely in the wrong place. But, after 50 years of engineering...they simply made it work. The evidence of this is in the Cayman, as already mentioned.
Go spend a weekend driving one and let me know if the word flawed is the first thing comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:07 PM   #22
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Go spend a weekend driving one and let me know if the word flawed is the first thing comes to mind.
People like driving Porsche's because they are sheep. Pure and simple. Again, I am one of those sheep, but there is nothing technically ground breaking with their design and no one is following it. They've kept it that way as that's what the heritage expects. Just like we'll never see a mid-engine Corvette as that's not what the owners expect. They add more electronics to make it "better", but that's just putting more lipstick on a pig.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:46 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Which car would you pick? I'd most likely go for the new R8 V10 Plus for the following reasons:

1. N/A V10 with a high rpm redline.
2. Mid-engine instead of rear-engine.
3. Much better sound.
4. More "visceral" (the 911 Turbo S is bit of a softy in most ways).
5. Faster or at least as fast.

I'm sure there are more than I am not thinking of right now.

Note: I'm talking about the 991.2 Turbo S (facelifted) that has 580 hp.
Seems like you like the Audi better. Go with whatever gives you the fizz
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 07:42 PM   #24
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:

You're missing the point. As Mahjik mentioned, the design itself is fundamentally flawed. After 50 years of engineering and redesigning the car around the PROBLEM, they finally got it under control.

You basically said it yourself:
Quote:
The flawed design theory was true in the early 60's, since then with wider wheels, tires, a longer wheelbase and technology has changed that. Longer and wider over time making it easier to move and much more stable
Other cars may have also had design changes, but not with the problems inherent in the early Porsche's. The other cars didn't have the reputation that the early 70's Turbos did when hustled around turns.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 08:07 PM   #25
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

They had the issue figured out by 1968. I didn't miss the point.

Old Dec 22, 2015, 08:09 PM   #26
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
People like driving Porsche's because they are sheep. Pure and simple. Again, I am one of those sheep, but there is nothing technically ground breaking with their design and no one is following it. They've kept it that way as that's what the heritage expects. Just like we'll never see a mid-engine Corvette as that's not what the owners expect. They add more electronics to make it "better", but that's just putting more lipstick on a pig.
Ba Ba

Old Dec 23, 2015, 09:24 AM   #27
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

If AWD is not a requirement (but it might be), the McLaren is what I would do before either of the other two listed.

Quote:
Ba Ba
lol...

I do like 911's.. I'm thinking about building a race car for a German racing series using a 996 (since they can be found cheap).
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:17 AM   #28
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I don't really like how the 570S looks. Might grow on me though.

By the way...

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:47 AM   #29
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
By the way...
Sounds like you are still favoring the Audi. FWIW, while I'm too cheap to buy a new one, I do wish I had went ahead an gotten a slightly used one instead of my Jaguar.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:37 AM   #30
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Any thoughts of adding in the MB into your possible choices?