Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

Default In the market for a new phone, need some suggestions

The girlie and I are wanting new phones. She's set to get an iphone, she really wants one so cool. One of us is set. But I'm looking toward something android.

I have an ipad, so the iphone is kinda irrelevant unless I'm razeus

I like the droid x. Mind you we have Verizon, so my options are whatever is on their site.

Droid 2 has a faster cpu but a smaller screen. The droid x sticks out to me because of its bigger screen ..that is ideal for web surfing and movie watching when on the road and at lunch at work.

Then there's the newly release thunderbird 4g phone, that also has a big screen and well..4G, but I dunno if the speed warrants the cost as I've read a lot of conflicting reports about verizons 4G right now.

Is droid x a decent phone to go with? How are the games and apps @ the droid market place?
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I only hear good things about the Droid X, from both people I know and reviews online. Personally I like having the option of a physical keyboard for email which is why I got the Droid 2 Global, but at least Droid X has a huge screen so I suspect typing on it is easy compared to smaller phones. I hear the the swipe keyboard works really well too once you get used to it.

Games: You have many of the same offerings as iPhone such as Angry Birds, EA games like Need for Speed, but as an added bonus you can download console emulators. With the emulators you can run tons of games for NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, SMS, GG, PS1, Atari, etc, all for free

As for my own choice, I like the Droid 2 Global, but I miss the form factor of the Droid Pro (I returned it for various technical issues). My other complaint about Droid 2 Global is the thinkness, something you won't have to worry about with Droid X.

Last edited by Gator : Mar 20, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

I forgot to address the Thunderbolt. 4G aside the phone looks like a solid buy based on it's specs, and the HTC implementation of Android is more appealing than the Motorola from what I can tell. That 8MP camera looks VERY enticing, it has 768MB RAM, dual cameras, and a nice big screen.

As for 4G, don't make the reason to buy the Thunderbolt. 4G is all well and good I'm sure, but they have the nerve to charge extra for it, meanwhile it's still limited availability. And since Thunderbolt is the first Verizon 4G phone, I suspect it will need a lot of updates over time. So again, I do not recommend buying the Thunderbolt for the 4G, buy it if you like the specs. You owe it to yourself to compare the HTC Incredible though, some the specs are similar and you can have it for less, just make sure you if you get a better battery for it if you go this route.

Here are the technical specs of all 3 phones side by side:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...4985,4412,4659
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Droid X and Droid 2 have the same cpu...
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Unless he's talking about the Global which does have a slightly faster CPU.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Thunderbolt.

Renew with a one year too, pay a little more for the phone.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
Unless he's talking about the Global which does have a slightly faster CPU.
Droid 2 is not sold anymore in favor of Droid 2 Global, and yes the cpu is slightly faster.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:05 PM   #8
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I ways find it Funny when people talk about android they always throw emulators in there as an added bonus like they don't exist on other platforms.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I ways find it Funny when people talk about android they always throw emulators in there as an added bonus like they don't exist on other platforms.
Don't iPhone users haave to jailbreak for that? Also, we've got an N64 emulator now
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

If you're buying new and don't mind signing up for a new 2yr agreement, Thunderbolt is the only way to go. Messed with one in the Verizon store on Friday and ...

If you don't want a new contract, or are thinking about waiting for the Bionic or other next-gen multi-core phones, consider going the used route. That's what I did Friday, after prematurely killing my Droid1 early last week - bought a Droid 2 Global for $175. No new contract means I'm free to buy a new phone at any time, and should be able to recoup most if not all of what I spent on the D2G ... assuming I don't kill the damn thing.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:29 PM   #11
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Don't iPhone users haave to jailbreak for that? Also, we've got an N64 emulator now
Yeah, if you're savvy enough for an emulator jailbreaking is nothing. Besides jailbreaking is stupid proof... One button these days.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Serotonin
Lacking details

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'm gonna suck it up and get the thunderbolt.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'm gonna suck it up and get the thunderbolt.
Not a bad choice, by any means, especially if you can't wait. I have heard rumblings that it's battery life is pretty bad though. This, for instance, has not happened before, at least for Android, an official double sized battery:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/v...-give-your-ph/
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:22 PM   #14
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I believe the R2D2 edition is still sold and it's a regular Droid 2 with various R2D2 stuff on it. I my R2 edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Droid 2 is not sold anymore in favor of Droid 2 Global, and yes the cpu is slightly faster.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Serotonin
Lacking details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Not a bad choice, by any means, especially if you can't wait. I have heard rumblings that it's battery life is pretty bad though. This, for instance, has not happened before, at least for Android, an official double sized battery:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/v...-give-your-ph/
Well I don't care for this, not one bit. Wasn't aware of the battery life.

How is the droid x battery life? Guess I'll have to do some research. And no, I can't wait, the woman's contract ends this week, so we have to renew this weekend. I'd wait if I could. Thanks for the info on the battery life.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:01 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
Well I don't care for this, not one bit. Wasn't aware of the battery life.

How is the droid x battery life? Guess I'll have to do some research. And no, I can't wait, the woman's contract ends this week, so we have to renew this weekend. I'd wait if I could. Thanks for the info on the battery life.
I loved my Droid X, it got way better battery life than my Droid. Of the choices, id easily pi k the X because its made by Motorola and its a great performer, battery-wise and otherwise.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:24 AM   #17
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

The X is kinda testy regarding battery life, wife's is relativly new and it's battery can't go 24 hours without a charge and frequently dies overnight (midnight to 9 or so am). This is very light use. If you look up all the various issues the X has it will have you hoping and praying that you get one without. I've seen things about flaky wifi as well as piss poor battery life.

My Droid 2 however can go a day and a half without a charge due to how much crap I've turned off and got rid of Blur in trade for a new launcher. This is with light to moderate use.

bounty hunter
Quote:
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
The X is kinda testy regarding battery life, wife's is relativly new and it's battery can't go 24 hours without a charge and frequently dies overnight (midnight to 9 or so am). This is very light use. If you look up all the various issues the X has it will have you hoping and praying that you get one without. I've seen things about flaky wifi as well as piss poor battery life.

My Droid 2 however can go a day and a half without a charge due to how much crap I've turned off and got rid of Blur in trade for a new launcher. This is with light to moderate use.
Droid dies overnight without use? That is the worst thing I have ever heard, I had no idea how much better my Droid 2 Global is then. I charge frequently to play safe, but like you on very light use I thinkit could go over 36 hours. I used it as an MP3 play for ever 3 hours the other day and it report 10% battery used (90 remaining). The display is obviously the power culprit on Droid X I assume.

Does HTC phones typically use more power than Moro? I know the HTC Incredible is a power hog too.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:31 AM   #19
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Does HTC phones typically use more power than Moro? I know the HTC Incredible is a power hog too.
I think their HTC Sense UI does drain the battery down more on their devices. Most people who root their phones will not run Sense (as well as remove a few other items) which extends their battery life decently.

I've found with my Evo that a 30-40 minute charge while eating lunch will take care of my use for a day (6AM - Midnight). If I'm not really using the phone at all, the midday charge isn't needed. I've seen this behavior with HTC phones since the Touch Pro which was Windows Mobile.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:50 AM   #20
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

Wifey uses her phone LESS than I do. The screen is in the off position, in theory few apps are dealing with data. I sit here and try to figure out any kind of logical reason for her phone doing this so shortly into it's life. My guess is she's got some crap on there that's still doing a bunch at night cause mine did something similar a couple times too, afterward I logged out of everything but gmail, and told it no updates unless I do them. I also removed everything data intensive except my weather widget from my launcher.

Quote:
Droid dies overnight without use? That is the worst thing I have ever heard, I had no idea how much better my Droid 2 Global is then. I charge frequently to play safe, but like you on very light use I thinkit could go over 36 hours. I used it as an MP3 play for ever 3 hours the other day and it report 10% battery used (90 remaining). The display is obviously the power culprit on Droid X I assume.

bounty hunter
Quote:
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:52 AM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My Droid X got a LOT better battery life than my OG Droid...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Part of it, I would imagine, is that LTE being turned on consumes a substantial amount of battery life. While LTE itself is a relatively new technology, it's even newer tech for the chipset makers and more so HTC's SW implementation. I'm guessing it's got a way to go before battery life is optimized with LTE turned on. Just like the EVO with 3G & 4G turned on will use more juice than 3G alone (though not near as much as the Thunderbolt by comparison).
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote