Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 23, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Default Borderlands

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/home.htm

I tried searching for a thread here and couldn't find one on it, which is surprising to me, as this game looks pretty damn good, even by my standards. A friend of mine read it in a magazine and got me looking into it, and I must say I like what I see:

Some of the features that caught my eye:

"The game will also have a unique feature similar to Diablo's random level generation system. This new system will generate more than 500,000 different guns as well as at least 500,000 different item and armor variations, according to the preview of the game in Game Informer magazine"

Plus 4 player co-op.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_(video_game)

Trailer:

Gameplay walkthrough:

There's a release date estimate of Q2 2009 but we'll see. If this game turns out like it's described I could see myself sinking in many hours of gameplay.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
john2
Radeon Southern Islands

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Looking forward to it too. Although i don't think that they will manage to release it in Q2

Last edited by john2 : Feb 23, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:57 PM   #3
coyote81
Radeon R420

coyote81 is still being judged by the masses

This game looks amazingly deep and immersive. I will be spending lots of time on this game.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

It is my opinion that more people should be interested in this game.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5
ALaz502
I listen to Slayer.

ALaz502 is still being judged by the masses

When I first saw videos of this game I kind of went, "meh." I don't know why, but nothing caught my eye.

But then I dug a little deeper and have come to the conclusion that this has the potential to be a very deep FPS/RPG. Actually looking forward to this one.

4 Player Co-Op? In an open world FPS/RPG? ****in A!!! Sign me up.
ALaz502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

I read PC Gamer US's preview a couple of months ago, and it does indeed look interesting. I want to see some reviews before I pick it up, though.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quite a radical change in it's look.
Not sure about its use of randomly generated elements though. I always feel those games end up a bit flat and unsatisfactory. Human design is much better.
John C Flett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Yeah, I'm kind of indifferent at the cell shading. I think if the game is awesome it won't detract much from it, but if the game comes off average then the cell shading won't help it any.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

I'm sort of iffy about the visuals, too, especially after this latest trailer. They don't look awful, but at the same time, they're nothing special and almost make the game look more like some sort of post-apocalyptic comic book rather than a real world that you'll be exploring (sort of similar to Fallout 3). It's a unique look, but not one I'm crazy about. I also hope the randomized weapon system will work out well. I do think it will be fun, though, never knowing which weapons you'll find because of the sheer number of them. That should add replay value and give your own experience a special feeling, knowing that you may be one of the few folks out there who have a specific gun. Ditto for armor and items.

I just hope the game turns out well and will be fun to play all the way through. Open world games are always frightening because you never know exactly how the pacing will be or whether or not you'll be trekking miles and miles just to find what you're after, but I think this one has potential to be one of the best titles of 2009 if they pull it off successfully. I actually see it being a sleeper-hit, because it doesn't seem to be up there with the likes of big-name titles such as Bioshock 2, the new Call of Duty World at War game, and so forth.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:17 PM   #11
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, just watched the trailer and the second vid in the OP. This game sounds very cool if you ask me . Plus co-op =

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:58 PM   #12
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Default October Release Date

2K Games confirms hard launch date for Gearbox's cel-shaded "role-playing shooter" in North America; game will ship in UK, EU, and AU on October 23; new trailer inside.
At last month's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Gearbox Software revealed that its eagerly anticipated "role-playing shooter" Borderlands would ship in October. Now, with retail lines being drawn in the holiday-quarter sand, 2K Games has locked down the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 title's exact launch date: October 20 in North America and October 23 in the UK, mainland Europe, Australia, and other territories.

"You have 500,000 guns in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

In an interview with GameSpot, 2K Games president Christoph Hartmann said his company is unfazed by the prospect of launching an untested IP within weeks of high-profile sequels like Uncharted 2, due October 13.
"I don't think we have to be afraid of competition or shy of what's out there," said Hartmann, confidently. "I think this holiday season is a little bit lighter in triple-A games than last year. It's actually a good holiday to put something out. ... There's always risk and opportunity. The risk is you have a hard time standing out against established IP. The opportunity is you have a lot of traffic here and it can be a much bigger product at retail than it would be otherwise."
The finalization of Borderlands' release date marks the end of the vehicle-centric, sci-fi action-RPG's windy road to release. Announced in summer 2007 as "Mad Max meets Diablo," the game was touted as having the most unique weapons ever--more than 500,000 randomly generated guns scattered in caches in the game's open world. However, anticipation turned into frustration when its initial late-2008 release date slipped into 2009. Also, concerns were (initially) raised when the game's new visual style--viewable below--was introduced this spring.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6213803...pstory%3btitle
Quote:
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Yeah, still not sure about the cell shaded stuff. But this game still has me interested.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

I'm interested in everything in this game except the 500,000 guns... you all know what that means:

Gun 1 - Superior Shotgun of Power
Gun 2 - Vicious Shotgun of Blasting
Gun 3 - Precious Shotgun of Warfare

Gun 500,000 - Awesome Pistol of Awesomeness.

Hopefully some of those 500k weapons are good, well thought out items... Hellgate: London came out claiming all sorts of great combinations and upgrades, and they were all boring.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:30 AM   #15
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Cell shaded games in general are pretty lack luster, though there are a few exceptions. The screen shots for Borderlands, showing the cell shading, look to be quite decent though, i don't think it will detract from this game...

As for the 500,000 weapons, the random generator was already mentioned and it was obvious it was not going to be 500k of unique guns. Finding a goode weapon will depend on luck, exactly the same way it did in diablo.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Sherv
Radeon R600

Sherv is still being judged by the masses

Love cell shaded games, should be alot more; Jet Set Radio (best game ever!), XII, SF IV et al. Been following Borderlands from the start, looks really interesting...
Asus Maximus VI Hero
AMD Radeon Sapphire Tri-X Crossfire R290x
Samsung 840 evo 500GB & 250GB
Sherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:00 AM   #17
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

I assume you mean XIII and that was a typo, have you seen the movie? Not cell shaded but thought you should know.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:27 PM   #18
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

the gamespot trailer is interesting. definitely tongue in cheek and spunky.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:44 PM   #19
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Is this that game where the wildlife beasts has giant vaginas in their faces?

If so I am interested. Very interested.

dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:17 PM   #20
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
Is this that game where the wildlife beasts has giant vaginas in their faces?
I don't remember seeing anything like that, what beasts are you talking about?
Quote:
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:27 PM   #21
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

trailer on youtube. i have to say, this trailer put the game back on my radar

spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:18 PM   #22
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

I am losing interest in this game, I got the impression it was just another FPS game with 4-player co-op and I didn't think this was RPS instead....
Quote:
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:46 PM   #23
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Borderlands - Video Preview:
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/957205...dp_072809.html

and detailed Hands-on article:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1008514p1.html

edit:
Executive Producer Interview:
Quote:

Last edited by nomore : Jul 28, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:01 AM   #24
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Damn it.... shouldnt have looked at the last videos.. now I want it

I made my brain think it was crap without knowing **** about it!
I dont have time to play this you bastards!

I read somewhere there are over 3 million different gun combinations possible in the game. If you found a new weapon every minut it would take you more than six years to have em all

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Don't get to excited about the guns, true there are many, but its just like the types of magic items in Diablo. Not that that is bad, but it is not as special as it sounds either.

EDIT: That Producer video... ooo... nice.

Last edited by theshadowcult : Jul 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:04 PM   #26
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Meh. It's a toon game. Looks like a multiplayer Fallout3 copy to me but in an ugly, cheap style.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:04 AM   #27
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

I think it looks interesting, I hope you can disable those cheesy damage indicators though

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:17 AM   #28
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

looks good will probably pick up after brutal legend

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:38 AM   #29
sumpwa
Radeon Sea Islands

sumpwa is still being judged by the masses

500k different variants of guns or armor?

inc. "Pointless Pea Shooter of the Mudkip"
sumpwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:56 AM   #30
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

actually its increase since then... they are now saying billions of combos...

so. "Pointless Pea Shooter of the Mudkip Mrk2"