Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 24, 2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Intel 2500K OC Weirdness

My BIOS is no longer retaining the multiplier/max ratio I set. (Asrock Extreme 4 Z77)

I've had this rig watercooled and OC'ed to 4.2-4.4 GHz for years. I got new carpet and had to pick it up and move it 15-20 feet then back again, and now it won't overclock.

I flashed to a new BIOS (supports NVMe) and it's doing the same thing.

In the setting for "All Cores" (the multiplier in this board's EUFA), if I type in say 42 or 44 (or anything), as soon as I click on another setting (including Save & Exit), the multiplier setting "reverts to" 37. (The default is 33, 37 is the turbo)

It's possible this was happening before I moved the computer,I just happened to check the core freq in Windows (CoreTemp and CPUID) after I'd moved it back.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Unplug power, hit power button 4-5 times to get residual current out of the PC, and clear the CMOS.

Mobo could just be going bad due to age.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2019, 05:43 PM   #3
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Unplug power, hit power button 4-5 times to get residual current out of the PC, and clear the CMOS.

Mobo could just be going bad due to age.
I cleared the CMOS using the I/O button, but haven't tried it with the jumper on the mobo.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I/O button does the same thing. I'd try pulling the battery for 30-45min.

Could try reseating the CPU, though I doubt that's the problem. Old age on electronics can cause whacky stuff.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 24, 2019, 07:07 PM   #5
JZL
Starship Trooper

It seems like there's some obvious BIOS setting I need to tick or untick to enable overclocking.

FWIW, the pre-established overclocks (4.0 to 4.8 GHz) don't work, either.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Post pics of your BIOS and I might be able to help. I've never owned an ASROCK so I'm unsure of the layout..
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:47 PM   #7
JZL
Starship Trooper

For starters, this is the guide I've used for years to OC this board. It hasn't been updated and a few of the settings have changed, but it's largely valid.

Main page for informational purposes.

---
The "OC Tweaker" page . . .

The multiplier is set to 42.
The Base Clock (aka FSB) stays at 100.
The top two settings are pre-established OC profiles.
Most of those wattage power limits had been set to 500 but they revert to Auto.
---
All I have to do is merely click on one of these other settings, and the multiplier goes to 37.

This though the default is 3.3 Ghz. The turbo boost is 3.7
In windows the frequency seems to bounce between 3700 and 3600 at idle.
Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 08:06 AM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I've forgotten how OCing these older chips work. What happens if you set the multiplier to 42 after setting Turbo mode to disabled? I could have sworn with my 3770K I used to disable turbo mode. It's only on the newer chips that you leave turbo mode enabled, if I remember correctly.

The board still recognizes the chip as an unlocked 2500K. Very strange that it keeps reverting the multiplier to it's max turbo mode. It may be worth reseating the chip, but if that doesn't work, I'd lean towards the board has gone bad and/or the chip.

Honestly, you'd see quite a large performance increase even with a 1070. The 2500K is a bottleneck in pretty much every game for you.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:38 AM   #9
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

replace your cmos battery. I know, sounds like an odd thing to cause your problem, but there are people who have had the same problem, and it turned out to be the battery. Even though it isn't throwing the typical error a bad/dead battery usually does on boot.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:38 PM   #10
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
I've forgotten how OCing these older chips work. What happens if you set the multiplier to 42 after setting Turbo mode to disabled?
You are correct. "The Turbo 30 setting" (at least now), sets the multiplier to 48(!?) That's disabled if overclocking "by hand." So is "Load optimized CPU OC Setting," which contains pre-set OC's going in 2 gig intervals from 3.8 to 4.8. I gave that a try, but that doesn't stick, either.

Quote:
Honestly, you'd see quite a large performance increase even with a 1070. The 2500K is a bottleneck in pretty much every game for you.
I've been considering a new comp for three years but hadn't really felt the need, esp. after going from a Radeon 9590 to the 1070. It's probably time, but I don't play that many new games. Prepar3D (flightsim) is still a hawg, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
replace your cmos battery. I know, sounds like an odd thing to cause your problem, but there are people who have had the same problem, and it turned out to be the battery. Even though it isn't throwing the typical error a bad/dead battery usually does on boot.
I'll probably try that soon. It's hard to get at. I'd nearly forgotten I had a similar issue two years ago when I couldn't lower the clock down from 4.6. Clearing the CMOS worked back then. Sigh.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I'm referring to the Intel turbo boost technology setting under the speedstep serting
Old Dec 25, 2019, 02:37 PM   #12
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Say, I’ve still got an OC’d 2500K too! MSI motherboard though. I remember that physical auto overlock buttons were somewhat common in this era so check for one of those and make sure it’s not activated. That would definitely cause the multiplier to appear stuck. There may be a bios option buried somewhere but since you’ve already cleared bios that seems unlikely.

I’ve found that for best results you should disable turbo boost and any other speedstep features you can. Speedstep kinda worked with OC with Windows 7 but Windows 10 does not like it at all. You’ll be running at the OC speed all the time which won’t be great for power consumption but it will be much more stable with speedstep disabled.
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2019, 02:09 AM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

With my 2500K system I always overclocked it by setting the turbo multipliers instead of setting a straight OC. That had the advantage of still allowing the CPU to clock down.

Anyway, if for some reason your bios isn't accepting a straight OC, see if you can override the turbo ratios instead, which should accomplish the same thing.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2019, 01:47 PM   #14
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
With my 2500K system I always overclocked it by setting the turbo multipliers instead of setting a straight OC. That had the advantage of still allowing the CPU to clock down.

Anyway, if for some reason your bios isn't accepting a straight OC, see if you can override the turbo ratios instead, which should accomplish the same thing.
I'm afraid that isn't working, either. I used that to set 4.4 and it stuck in BIOS, but CoreTemp and CPUID show it pegged at 3.4.

When I get the new parts and tear this rig down (incl. the H2o loop), I will probably stick these in the HTPC, and take those parts and stick them in the grandkids' PC, which is dead, at which point I'll replace the CMOS batt. I've had this sub-system seven years and had it clocked at 4.6 or 4.4 the whole time, so that ain't bad. I actually got the proc used from a friend of mine.