Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jun 13, 2018, 07:10 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It could be there were signs that Vega wasn't going to be up to snuff for gaming and they basically pulled the plug on it. Just finished it up for compute workloads, plus whatever gaming performance it could actually provide while knowing it wouldn't be competitive there.
Very possible.

Due to the HBM2 delays mostly I assume. Figure it'd be too late to market so get some leg work done on Navi since HBM2 is holding us back.

Still though, when it came to GPU Core design and tweaks and such.. They should have kept at least 40% on Vega to figure out power design and thermals. Instead, they pulled an American Motors Corporation and overbuilt everything to counter the shortcomings. (see AMX 390)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:15 AM   #62
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, you guys are going to hate this :

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62196...ept/index.html

Faster than a GTX1080TI, but price wise it'll be between 999$ and 1499$....Do keep in mind that the GTX1080TI launched at 799$ in January of 2017?
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:23 AM   #63
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

Faster than a GTX1080TI, but price wise it'll be between 999$ and 1499$....Do keep in mind that the GTX1080TI launched at 799$ in January of 2017?
they can keep it

waiting on the ti

but I would not pay 1499 for a 1180 ti let alone a small chip mid range card I would buy a xbox first .
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:30 AM   #64
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD Navi GPUs Will Not Use MCM Design, Feature Single Monolithic Die Instead, Reveals RTG SVP – Yet To Conclude If MCM Can Be Used in Traditional Gaming Graphics Cards
https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-gpus-n...-gaming-cards/
Old Jun 14, 2018, 01:22 PM   #65
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Even if it was a 7nm chip, and I think itll more likely be a 12 nm if launching in august, its way overpriced.

Hoping that little Navi 7nm will have a 30% bigger transistor budget than Vega at the new mid range price of 400$ (500$ CAD).

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 05:29 PM   #66
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
So it looks like Navi might be a mid-range upgrade and "next gen" might be high end. TBH I'm not really interested as Vega 64 suits my set up. I can wait till 2020 for a new card no probs.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 07:34 PM   #67
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
So it looks like Navi might be a mid-range upgrade and "next gen" might be high end. TBH I'm not really interested as Vega 64 suits my set up. I can wait till 2020 for a new card no probs.
being on 4k I would love a AMD card that can beat my 1080 ti strix even by as little as 10% and has HDMI 2.1 soonest

hell I may buy two if they get a 55" HDMI 2.1 VRR or Freesync 120Hz screen out next year
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:56 PM   #68
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD GPU Rumors: Polaris 30 12nm GPUs in Q4 2018, Navi GPU Based Mid-Range Cards Arrive Before High-End HBM2 Variants
Quote:
AMD Gaming GPU Rumors: 12nm Polaris 30 in Q4 2018, 7nm Vega 20 in Q1 2019, 7nm Navi Between 2019/2020
https://wccftech.com/amd-gpu-rumors-...eon-rx-gaming/

looks like 2 to 3 years before a high end Navi gaming card

thanks Raja
Old Jul 1, 2018, 01:52 PM   #69
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

thanks Raja

Maybe the case for Navi, but seems Vega 20 has a few tricks up it's sleeve too:

https://imgur.com/LBeMDuE

The above image shows Vega 20 to re-enable dual precision floating point and ECC, which is to be expected for a workstation card, but also have 4 stacks of HBM 2.0 so that gives it 1 TB/ sec of memory bandwidth, and configurations of 16 or 32 GB of ram become possible but also introduces a new communication protocol for GPU to GPU communication ( Dual GPU Vega 20 card anyone? ), with the single GPU version probably using 150 watts because of the 7nm process and the dual GPU card being the 300 watt beast.....Never mind the adoption of PCI-e 4.0 since no motherboard supports it yet.

Still, while it does suck that Navi may be quite a while until it's out, a gamer version of the above with 7nm allowing even higher clocks than the 14nm could while keeping power at the 300 watt limit and it being a dual GPU card, is a mighty fast card indeed.....We'll see what's up by the end of the year.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 02:20 PM   #70
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

as for Vega 20 it the same deal for me as the 1180 or no sale

first if they make a gamer Vega 20

then it needs to be faster than a 1080 ti by 15% to 20% minimum at 4k

3- it needs full hbmi 2.1 support .
Old Jul 1, 2018, 03:41 PM   #71
shadow001

Quote:
as for Vega 20 it the same deal for me as the 1180 or no sale

first if they make a gamer Vega 20

then it needs to be faster than a 1080 ti by 15% to 20% minimum at 4k

3- it needs full hbmi 2.1 support .

Indeed, if they release a gamer version, but it was mentioned that there would be a 7nm Vega for gaming in a recent AMD video.

Even if we keep it on a single GPU versus single GPU basis, the switch to 7nm and the big power savings that go with that, as well as the much easier cooling requirements, make it being 15~20% faster than the GTX1080 TI not exactly a hard thing to pull off...… a Dual GPU version makes it live in it's own universe if the performance scaling is the usual 80~90% for the second chip.

HDMI 2.1 is the big if though.....
Old Jul 1, 2018, 05:27 PM   #72
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

thanks Raja
Not sure where you are getting 2 to 3 years for Navi. between 2019/2020 is 1.5 to 2 years, as we are already half way thru 2018. The True High end Navi 20 is 2020 to 2021, so I am guessing you are talking about the Navi 20, not the Navi 10 or Navi 14.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Jul 1, 2018 at 06:07 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2018, 05:48 PM   #73
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
Not sure where you are getting 2 to 3 years for Navi. between 2019/2020 is 1.5 to 2 years, as we are already half way thru 2018.
that's midrange Navi

first vega 20

second midrange Navi

Quote:
AMD 7nm Navi For Mainstream Users First, High-End HBM2 Variants Later
then High-End HBM2 Variants Later

and it will be a year between each and they are always late

we won't see High-End HBM2 gaming Navi before Q3 or Q4 2021

…………

I think they scrapped a lot of what Raja had planed
Old Jul 1, 2018, 09:11 PM   #74
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

thanks Raja
Raja had nothing to do with this. And that source came from chiphell.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2018, 09:13 PM   #75
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I think they scrapped a lot of what Raja had planed
Just because Lisa Su wanted AMD to focus on semi-custom strategy and put massive resource on Navi than Vega.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Jul 1, 2018, 09:15 PM   #76
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
Not sure where you are getting 2 to 3 years for Navi. between 2019/2020 is 1.5 to 2 years, as we are already half way thru 2018. The True High end Navi 20 is 2020 to 2021, so I am guessing you are talking about the Navi 20, not the Navi 10 or Navi 14.
I think AMD probably will start with low-end and midrange Navi first before true high-end Navi. That is probably a good way to test those as testbed first before launch high-end Navi.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:00 AM   #77
shadow001

Well this answers it and gives a relative release date too:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62386...019/index.html

Vega 20 on 7nm with 16 GB of HBM by Q1 of 2019, so a little over 6 months away....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:20 AM   #78
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Well this answers it and gives a relative release date too:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62386...019/index.html

Vega 20 on 7nm with 16 GB of HBM by Q1 of 2019, so a little over 6 months away....
Quote:
but I truly doubt it'll be able to compete with NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce GTX 1180

it should if it beats a 1080 ti the 1180 is not going to beat the Titan V
so the small chip 1180 is only going to be 15 to 20% at most over a 1080 ti

so Vega 20 with 4 stacks of hbm2 ( if it does have a 4096bit Memory Bus )should be close to the 1180
Old Jul 2, 2018, 01:15 AM   #79
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

meh. vega isn't slow because of memory bandwidth though. vega64 has plenty of it and look what it puts out ..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:07 PM   #80
shadow001

Quote:
it should if it beats a 1080 ti the 1180 is not going to beat the Titan V
so the small chip 1180 is only going to be 15 to 20% at most over a 1080 ti

so Vega 20 with 4 stacks of hbm2 ( if it does have a 4096bit Memory Bus )should be close to the 1180

It's not so much that, but that AMD will open up the hostilities with a GPU already built at 7nm since it's the same one as what was shown a few weeks back with the Instinct version, and it wasn't an engineering sample just out of the oven, but working and final silicon and strait from global foundries.

On Nvidia's end, being that they are pretty much exclusive to TSMC as far as foundries go, and they have shown that their 12nm process is working fine with the Titan V which uses big Volta, but all that TSMC has stated just a couple of days ago and with regards to 7nm is that they're still ramping up, so with GTX1180 being launched in a little over a month from now, the odds are pretty high it's still a GPU built with the 12nm step.

AMD may be able to pack hardware and clock it quite a bit higher just because of the 7nm step when compared to 12nm, while keeping power and cooling under control and the chip remains pretty small so it's cheap to make as well......This could turn out quite interesting in a few months from now.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 05:28 PM   #81
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
meh. vega isn't slow because of memory bandwidth though. vega64 has plenty of it and look what it puts out ..
It is actually bandwidth starved over 1450-1500Mhz. At 1800Mhz core, if I bump my HBM2 up to 1150 and it gives me an 8-12% bump in FPS.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 05:49 PM   #82
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
It is actually bandwidth starved over 1450-1500Mhz. At 1800Mhz core, if I bump my HBM2 up to 1150 and it gives me an 8-12% bump in FPS.
In what games? Bumping it up to 1150 from what?

1450-1500 compared to 1800 is a wide gap. What's the increase at 1500?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:14 PM   #83
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm not sure I buy that a better process node is somehow going to make AMD's hardware competitive. Obviously Nvidia has access to that same tool, so all their stuff is going to take a step up.

Navi or whatever coming out and being as fast as a 1080 Ti isn't going to be that impressive when it's competing against the 1180 Ti. That's just focusing on the last target. By that token Vega looks great against the 980 Ti.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:43 PM   #84
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm not sure I buy that a better process node is somehow going to make AMD's hardware competitive. Obviously Nvidia has access to that same tool, so all their stuff is going to take a step up.

Navi or whatever coming out and being as fast as a 1080 Ti isn't going to be that impressive when it's competing against the 1180 Ti. That's just focusing on the last target. By that token Vega looks great against the 980 Ti.
we are not going to see the 1180 ti for a year or more

if it is 10 to 20% faster than the 1080 ti it should be close to the 1180 non ti

and the 1180 is 12nm

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...12nm-database/
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:52 PM   #85
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't see the new Vega being 10-20% faster than the 1080TI. Vega64 is a good deal slower than the 1080TI, it'd be a pretty big leap in performance increase to move to 20% faster. This isn't factoring in overclocking with NV has the lead in that department as well.

I dunno. Hopefully the new Vega is awesome but I have my reservations after disappointment Vega64 turned out to be despite all the hype.

Last edited by Nunz : Jul 2, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:00 PM   #86
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Quote:
In what games? Bumping it up to 1150 from what?

1450-1500 compared to 1800 is a wide gap. What's the increase at 1500?

At 1800Mhz Core, if I bump the HBM from 945 to 1150.. I get around an 8-10% bump in FPS in BF1.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:19 PM   #87
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
At 1800Mhz Core, if I bump the HBM from 945 to 1150.. I get around an 8-10% bump in FPS in BF1.
That's actually interesting. How are you gauging that 8-10% bump? Is this in MP where FPS could vary due to server variance and/or player count? Not discrediting, genuinely curious.

1800Mhz core is pretty high too, afaik?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:31 PM   #88
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I don't see the new Vega being 10-20% faster than the 1080TI. Vega64 is a good deal slower than the 1080TI, it'd be a pretty big leap in performance increase to move to 20% faster. This isn't factoring in overclocking with NV has the lead in that department as well.

I dunno. Hopefully the new Vega is awesome but I have my reservations after disappointment Vega64 turned out to be despite all the hype.
just a die shrink from 14nm to 7nm should get them a good bit higher clock speed plus the memory bandwidth increase

and if this is even close it is not just a die shrink

Quote:
AMD 7nm Vega 20 Benchmark Leaked, 70% Faster Per Clock vs Vega 64
https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-vega-20...-leaked-up-to/

vega 64 is the same or I bit faster than a 1080 non ti

so at this point if it does not beat a 1080 ti why build it
who is going to buy a card slower or the same speed as a 18 month old card by the time vega 20 gaming hits

unless they sell it for a lot less than a 1080 ti and with 16gb of hbm2 I don't see that happing
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:40 PM   #89
Nunz
RIP Roxen

They built Vega64 even though it barely tied the 1080 and it came out over a year after the 1080 .. I don't put it past AMD to do something like that.

Those benches aren't really conclusive of anything. If it was 70% faster then we're looking at the biggest jump in performance since the 8800GTX. I dunno about that. I'm remaining skeptical but I'm hoping it's a killer card.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:51 PM   #90
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD's new Vega 20 will support PCIe 4.0 tech
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62379...ech/index.html

there goes my ryzen & threadripper motherboards