Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 7, 2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Rajas final words

How Raja arrived at the decision to leave for pastures new

Quote:

'To my AMD family,
Forty is a significant number in history. It is a number representing transition, testing and change. I have just spent forty days away from the office going through such a transition. It was an important time with my family, and it also offered me a rare space for reflection. During this time I have come to the extremely difficult conclusion that it is time for me to leave RTG and AMD.

I have no question in my mind that RTG, and AMD, are marching firmly in the right direction as high-performance computing becomes ever-more-important in every aspect of our lives. I believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Vega, Navi and beyond, and I am incredibly proud of how far we have come and where we are going. The whole industry has stood up and taken notice of what we are doing. As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions.

I want to thank Lisa and the AET for enabling me to pursue my passion during the last four years at AMD, and especially the last two years with RTG. Lisa has my utmost respect for exhibiting the courage to enable me with RTG, for believing in me and for going out of her way to support me. I would also like to call out Mark Papermaster who brought me into AMD, for his huge passion for technology and for his relentless support through many difficult phases. And of course, I want to thank each and every one of my direct staff and my indirect staff who have worked so hard with me to build what we have now got. I am very proud of the strong leaders we have and I'm fully confident that they can execute on the compelling roadmap ahead.

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.
As I mentioned, leaving AMD and RTG has been an extremely difficult decision for me. But I felt it is the right one for me personally at this point. Time will tell. I will be following with great interest the progress you will make over the next several years.

On a final note, I have asked a lot of you in the last two years. You've always delivered. You've made me successful both personally and professionally, for which I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I have these final requests from you as I leave:
. Stay focused on the roadmap!
. Deliver on your commitments!
. Continue the culture of Passion, Persistence and Play!
. Make AMD proud!
. Make me proud!

Yours,
Raja
Is this the end of cringe worthy showcases and presentations?

Last edited by Megaman : Nov 7, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 04:12 PM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

40 days of last paid vacation lol.
After Vega, he deserved to be fired.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
40 days of last paid vacation lol.
After RX480, he deserved to be fired.
Fixed.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:23 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Exclusive: Raja Koduri Will Be Seeking New Horizons At Intel

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-...orizons-intel/

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

WCCF exclusive. “The sun revolves around the Earth”
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:32 PM   #6
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

just hope he takes the bad gpu mojo with him

and the next amd cards are much more gaming cards and not pro cards
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Intel fans brace yourself for product delays.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:08 PM   #8
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm not sure I see it as much of a loss. Vega was a disaster... I'm skeptical whether or not this was purely a personal decision. I think there was probably some pressure on him to step aside.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:12 PM   #9
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Definitely screwed up going all in on Vega when the project was significantly behind schedule and it was clear HBM2 would be scarce and expensive. Would have been a much better idea to build a big Polaris 490 as a stopgap.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:27 PM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Well this tells me Navi is gonna flop pretty bad then. Navi being the GPU designed complete under Raja's hand. With him leaving before its release doesn't bode well for him.

He'll flourish at Intel though, no Lisa Su cracking the whip and breathing down his neck.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:45 PM   #11
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Well this tells me Navi is gonna flop pretty bad then. Navi being the GPU designed complete under Raja's hand. With him leaving before its release doesn't bode well for him.
Nothing wrong with his designs, the problem is he aimed too high gotta pick your battles.
Quote:
He'll flourish at Intel though, no Lisa Su cracking the whip and breathing down his neck.
So that's all he needed, less pressure. I dunno..... also that image.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 08:04 PM   #12
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Vega didn't really fail. Its a success at what it does. GPGPU. It is a great FP machine. If games can leverage that, then it will do great. 1080Ti level performance if done right.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 09:28 PM   #13
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Ya this is no scandal and I think well planned. Raja going to intel the same week intel and amd cooperate? Raja is gonna work on the same tech to integrate and push an amd/intel compute solution to go against nvidias. AMD hw with intel's ecosystem.

Vega will be fine once they get the bins up or maybe the 12nm versions out. But by then maybe navi is so close itll be worth waiting for a solid 4k solution.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:18 AM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Now the puzzle just have the pieces fit in for me at least

In this article it says that Intel will write the drivers for AMD gpu ... I was surprised a bit ... Now the piece fell in place...Raja joining intel knows his gpu .... Hahah ...

Intel GPUs officially don’t work, AMD to the rescue

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/11...rk-amd-rescue/
Old Nov 8, 2017, 01:12 AM   #15
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
Now the puzzle just have the pieces fit in for me at least

In this article it says that Intel will write the drivers for AMD gpu ... I was surprised a bit ... Now the piece fell in place...Raja joining intel knows his gpu .... Hahah ...

Intel GPUs officially don’t work, AMD to the rescue

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/11...rk-amd-rescue/
Quote:
The agreement between AMD and Intel is that Intel is buying chips from AMD, and AMD is providing a driver support package like they do with consoles.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003...bm2-using-emib
Old Nov 8, 2017, 02:05 AM   #16
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thx bill
Old Nov 8, 2017, 03:57 AM   #17
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

AMD providing drivers for anything means future Intel platforms will be ****ed for good.

Back to Raja. I am expecting Intel to go to shite after his arrival there.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 04:09 AM   #18
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD providing drivers for anything means future Intel platforms will be ****ed for good.

1080ti performance is not needed in intel laptops ... The performance needs for Intel for their VGA are met with what amd have now.
It's not like Nvidia don't release hotfixes and also have a much bigger budget to pay more devs for drivers.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:42 AM   #19
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Bias much? AMD has no more and no less problems than anyone else. In fact, I have had more issues with NVIDIA driver's than I ever have with AMD.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 04:46 PM   #20
Skynet
Banned

Quote:
Enjoy.
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...i-joins-intel/
Old Nov 8, 2017, 07:21 PM   #21
KAC
That postcount though...

Nothing to enjoy. I expect POS products coming out of Intel now.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 07:27 PM   #22
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Nothing to enjoy. I expect POS products coming out of Intel now.
Something big your forgetting. Raga will have a much bigger budget with Intel and will be able to attract a bigger team of very talented people than he ever could at AMD.

I see this as a good move for Intel and their desire to become a major force in graphics.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 07:42 PM   #23
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I look forward to more competition in the GPU markets!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 09:08 PM   #24
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
Something big your forgetting. Raga will have a much bigger budget with Intel and will be able to attract a bigger team of very talented people than he ever could at AMD.

I see this as a good move for Intel and their desire to become a major force in graphics.
So in 20 years intel couldnt get the talent or the money to do a proper gpu? Its the IP they dont have. So unless either nvidia (we know they havent) or amd sells them a rich IP license they wont be able to produce a gpu imo.

But my take is AMD is or soon will give them enough IP to work from. Its why Raja went to intel he has experience with amd ip.

Question is what did amd get for this. I mean in a normal high tech world non compete contracts would prevent your top gpu guy from going to work for the competition...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 8, 2017, 09:21 PM   #25
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
So in 20 years intel couldnt get the talent or the money to do a proper gpu? Its the IP they dont have. So unless either nvidia (we know they havent) or amd sells them a rich IP license they wont be able to produce a gpu imo.

But my take is AMD is or soon will give them enough IP to work from. Its why Raja went to intel he has experience with amd ip.

Question is what did amd get for this. I mean in a normal high tech world non compete contracts would prevent your top gpu guy from going to work for the competition...
No...

What will happen is this:

1.) Raja starts early December.

2.) Intel probably already has a discrete GPU in house ala something like the Larabee again that its been sitting on. Not ready for prime time that Raja can tweak, etc etc.

3.) Over the next year you will see a mass exodus from RTG going towards Intel.

4.) Within 2 years possibly 3 you will see a discrete GPU released by Intel.

That is unless AMD sues them by finding some loop hole in the licensing agreement with the GPU+CPU agreement they have now with Intel. This is where the do no compete clause comes in.

AMD licenses its mobility GPU to Intel, Intel pilfers the RTG team, AMD sues for damages because you know there will be a conflict of interest or accusations of stolen tech/patents ( think of Carmack/ID/Occulus fiasco ).

Worst case for AMD they are forced to sell the Graphics division to Intel who has deep coffers and money to spend on R&D. Then we won't get trash like Polaris and Vega.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 09:22 PM   #26
Skynet
Banned

Intel has thrown billions around trying to make a competent GPU and repeatedly fell on their face. Raja is not going to be some magic bullet.
Quote:
No...

2.) Intel probably already has a discrete GPU in house ala something like the Larabee again that its been sitting on. Not ready for prime time that Raja can tweak, etc etc.

That is unless AMD sues them by finding some loop hole in the licensing agreement with the GPU+CPU agreement they have now with Intel. This is where the do no compete clause comes in.

AMD licenses its mobility GPU to Intel, Intel pilfers the RTG team, AMD sues for damages because you know there will be a conflict of interest or accusations of stolen tech/patents ( think of Carmack/ID/Occulus fiasco ).

Worst case for AMD they are forced to sell the Graphics division to Intel who has deep coffers and money to spend on R&D. Then we won't get trash like Polaris and Vega.
This is pure fiction.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:04 PM   #27
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
No...

The only thing intel can do without a license is double down on massive parallel larrabee x86 and that would still be a heat and power hog. Itd make vega looks good.

Why risk another loss in court to amd and for billions this time and a stop order on sale and production when they can simply pay enough for license and pay a royalty on sales to amd. Its not like amd charges an arm and a leg to the console makers.

BTW Polaris isnt trash. Im playing wolf at 4k butter max graphics on an rx 480...

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Nov 9, 2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:05 PM   #28
Skynet
Banned

To accept that scenario would mean Raja Koduri is the most powerful person not only in graphics but the entire tech industry. Where he goes, the best and the brightest minds follow. He is the pied piper of graphics. And he is able to bring the necessary IP to Intel just because he is Raja Koduri.

One person, that's all Intel ever needed to pull their graphics tech out of the toilet. One guy. That's it.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 08:04 AM   #29
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hopefully AMD got something good out of the deal... like Navi built in Intel fabs and/or licensing Intel's MCM tech.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:40 AM   #30
pax
Rage3D Spammer

So much consolidation going on rumor is Intel wants to buy RTG and Nvidia AMD for its x86 license.

https://www.techpowerup.com/238620/i...-time-for-real

Quote:
Intel could have one of three approaches to build a discrete GPU from scratch. The first and most obvious one would be to scale up its current gen 9.5 architecture. The trouble is, that Intel's SIMD parallelism is more transistor-heavy than even NVIDIA. It takes roughly 400-500 million transistors (coarse estimate) on the "Kaby Lake" die to build a GPU with 24 execution units. With 10 billion transistors, we're looking at around 480 execution units, if not more.

The second approach would be to build a new graphics architecture from scratch. Something like this, even with Intel's deep R&D pockets, could take a team led by Koduri 3-4 years. The resulting architecture has to relevant to the market of the time, or end up missing the bus like Larrabee. The third approach would be to either license or acquire GPU IP from AMD. Koduri has the reputation of a tech business strategist as much as an IP guru to effect such a change.

These are strange times in the vale, as silicon giants Broadcom and Qualcomm look to coalesce into the world's third largest chipmaker, and Marvell with Cavium follow on. Stranger things are currently happening between past industry rivals, than the possibility of Intel acquiring RTG from AMD in exchange for cash, and allowing AMD's merger with another chipmaker without affecting its x86 license. This is just a really audacious theory.
HFS 10 billion trannies for just 480 shader units? Intel needs that IP.

www.realitysandwich.com