Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 20, 2018, 03:02 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I need to get my grubby paws on one
Remind me what phone you have? If I had a fairly recent Android phone, instead of an iPhone, I would've probably skipped the 9+. It's an incremental upgrade for most recent 'droid phones, IMO. Unless it's free...then DO IT NAO!!!
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2018, 04:00 PM   #92
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Remind me what phone you have? If I had a fairly recent Android phone, instead of an iPhone, I would've probably skipped the 9+. It's an incremental upgrade for most recent 'droid phones, IMO. Unless it's free...then DO IT NAO!!!
I have the PH1 and am really enjoying it with Oreo 8.1. I was just talking to the better half about this and I'm skipping for now. Xfinity Mobile would save us a few $$, but their bring your own phone policy doesn't accept a fully unlocked, work on any network in the US phone like the PH1. So yeah, no go for now.

Gorgeous device for sure, but not worth getting BSd into it by a garbage policy.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 04:32 PM   #93
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I have the PH1 and am really enjoying it with Oreo 8.1. I was just talking to the better half about this and I'm skipping for now. Xfinity Mobile would save us a few $$, but their bring your own phone policy doesn't accept a fully unlocked, work on any network in the US phone like the PH1. So yeah, no go for now.

Gorgeous device for sure, but not worth getting BSd into it by a garbage policy.
Yeah, it wouldn't be it worthwhile upgrade for you. The PH1 is a sweet phone.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:06 PM   #94
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't be it worthwhile upgrade for you. The PH1 is a sweet phone.
Yeah it's pretty nice. I'd be lying if I said the note didn't catch my eye though
Old Mar 23, 2018, 07:49 AM   #95
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2018, 08:03 AM   #96
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Well that sucks. So far I haven't had that problem, but it's another black eye for Samsung if it becomes widespread.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:12 PM   #97
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Interesting to see the Snapdragon variant is faster this time than the Exynos. Guess I won't have to worry about trying to get one from overseas when the Note 9 comes out.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 08:48 PM   #98
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Interesting to see the Snapdragon variant is faster this time than the Exynos. Guess I won't have to worry about trying to get one from overseas when the Note 9 comes out.
How do feel about the in-display fingerprint rumor? Would you miss the back FP sensor?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:20 PM   #99
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
How do feel about the in-display fingerprint rumor? Would you miss the back FP sensor?
I never used one with a back sensor, but I've always hated the idea of them. I reach over and unlock my S7 Edge all the time while it's sitting on the wireless charger, I don't want to have to pick the damn phone up to do that. Under the screen is a welcome feature for me. I also find it odd that Samsung and Apple can't get this working well but some no name Chinese company did.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 05:36 AM   #100
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Pixel 2 XL, probably one of the best phones I've had, battery for 2 days. The only downside is app related. Facebook makes the bottom buttons not work sometimes, have to reboot the phone, but that's crappy FB.

Reallllly like Goog phones!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2018, 06:22 AM   #101
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Got one the other day to replace my aging LG G3. My first thought was "it's so small!" heightwise isn't... quite tall, but very narrow compared to my G3.

Usually I install Apex Launcher immediately since I'm familiar with it and know its ins and out. This time decided to give the built-in stuff a chance.

The "edge" popout I'd like better if they didn't put the control exactly where I'd scroll right/left to get to the other screens. (would also be better if it wasn't fullscreen and if you clicked anywhere else it went away so I don't have to search for the back key.) Eventually just turned it off because it was getting in the way too much... good idea, actually, but crappy implementation.

The Bixby Home screen... absolutely hated it initially, but that was more about their insistence on signing you up every time you land on that screen. Once I signed up and could start configuring it, it got a lot less obnoxious. I basically hid everything but Samsung Health (step counter, etc) and Samsung Play (music.) So essentially now I have a dedicated "tab" for playing music and checking my steps. That's not bad. Decided to keep it enabled instead of turning it off wholesale.

Bixby voice... don't often anticipate doing voice commands, it just seems weird, but assuming I can turn off the "always listening to you" feature and have it do things only when pressing the button that's fine. Need to disable Google voice too. The one thing I tested it with "Open Maps and navigate home" worked quite well... probably one of the ONLY things I'll use voice commands with as it saves a lot of typing.

As with all my phones, first thing I did was install Simple Calendar and TypeApp mail so that I can get the widgets on my home screen. Ah... so much better... my world at a glance. The tallness of the phone gives me a bit more real estate to look at. Had to bump up the font size to make it readable though.

Yes, miles away faster than my G3, not that it was causing me consternation. Better cell phone reception... can pick up the newer bands that Tmobile brought online since the manufacture of the older phone.

Overall pretty happy.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:48 PM   #102
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
The "edge" popout I'd like better if they didn't put the control exactly where I'd scroll right/left to get to the other screens. (would also be better if it wasn't fullscreen and if you clicked anywhere else it went away so I don't have to search for the back key.) Eventually just turned it off because it was getting in the way too much... good idea, actually, but crappy implementation.
You can customize the edge panel handle.

You don't have to use the back key. Just click on the screen where there's no UI.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Mar 29, 2018, 01:59 PM   #103
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Looked at an S9+ at Best Buy yesterday. These phones are too damned big.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2018, 09:35 AM   #104
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I hate Bixby because I never use it, I disabled it. They kinda messed that one up on the S8 with the position of the button, it would always get tapped, or bumped and cause Bixby to pop up.

Had the hardware implementation been better on the S8/+ it would've fared better. Now everyone hates it because it started off "in the way". But it's actually pretty smart, and the most advanced of the AI's. But alas, I'll likely never use it because it annoyed me to no end with the button placement.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:19 PM   #105
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I hate Bixby because I never use it, I disabled it. They kinda messed that one up on the S8 with the position of the button, it would always get tapped, or bumped and cause Bixby to pop up.

Had the hardware implementation been better on the S8/+ it would've fared better. Now everyone hates it because it started off "in the way". But it's actually pretty smart, and the most advanced of the AI's. But alas, I'll likely never use it because it annoyed me to no end with the button placement.
I think the problem is bixby home. You can change it to press and hold instead of a single press. I never accidentally activate Bixby since doing so.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Apr 6, 2018, 04:56 AM   #106
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
You can customize the edge panel handle.

You don't have to use the back key. Just click on the screen where there's no UI.

Both good tips and helped make things a lot more pleasant, thanks!

As for the latter one, that's not QUITE accurate, and why I didn't figure it out myself. It's not a click.. you have to press and hold to get rid of the screen. Not a huge deal, but wasn't intuitive. Now that I know, the edge screen has gotten a LOT better. Moved the handle down and have it set up for favorite contacts and music. Nice... saves a bit of fumbling in Contacts.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:15 PM   #107
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

The interesting thing is that a lot of folks, for a little while, would remap the Bixby button to something else. Maybe a camera, a specific app, whatever... So they sort of stumbled onto an accidental feature that people liked (a remapable button), but refused to let people remap it.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2018, 02:47 PM   #108
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Had my S9+ since release date, It's my first Samsung phone. Had nexus 4,6 and pixel XL before this phone.
Software is bloated, but other than that I'm really liking it. Camera is excellent, Stereo Speakers YAY (so disappointed with the pixels one effort), Screens nice and bright and sharp. Headphone socket, again another big yay as I use my phone on a portable BOSS system while having a bath.
16GB Corsair DDR4 , SSD 850 evo /480gb SSD Vertex 2/ 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote