Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Fobinator
Rage3D Veteran

Fobinator is still being judged by the masses

Default PSP Battery

FromGamespot

"Q: How long does the PSP's battery last?

A: The short answer is that it depends on what you're doing. The longer answer is that Sony has stated that the battery should last around six hours. With simpler-looking games, like Lumines or Mahjong Fight Club, that definitely seems to be the case. But with more graphically intensive games, like Ridge Racers, the battery doesn't last quite as long. Based on our estimates and a few battery-draining tests, Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours. Playing with the wireless networking switch flipped on will also further reduce your battery life. The system has an auto-sleep function that stops the wireless drain, but that switch is there for a reason. Turn it off when you're not using it.

Video and audio will likely drain the battery differently, depending on where the content is coming from. It's less power-intensive to read from the memory stick slot than the universal media disc drive, though without any audio discs and only one demo video disc full of short games and movie trailers available now, it's difficult to actually put a number on this. Considering that the screen will black out if left unattended, it seems reasonable that you should get a good amount of battery power out of the system when listening to audio. "

In my opinion thats a big turn off, 1.5-3 hours is nothing at all. I spend about 4-5 hours on the bus a day so this wouldn't help at all.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:39 PM   #2
quietfool
Custom User Title

quietfool is still being judged by the masses

1.5 - 3hours is very short. Im often flying from coast to coast which is 5-6hours depending on which direction. I usually play my gba almost the entire flight. 1.5-3hrs is just not enough. Until they fix the power problem its just a big waste of money.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:40 PM   #3
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Get an extra battery. Oh and as they said if you are playing graphically less intense games the battery will last longer.

Last edited by painkiller : Dec 13, 2004 at 04:43 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:55 PM   #4
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

And umm. How much are these "Batteries" why should you have to buy more of them and play less intensive games? If I buy the thing I want it to work properly and play graphic intensive games. Also have you guys read about the amount of PSPs that have dead pixels =/
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Fobinator
Rage3D Veteran

Fobinator is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed
And umm. How much are these "Batteries" why should you have to buy more of them and play less intensive games? If I buy the thing I want it to work properly and play graphic intensive games. Also have you guys read about the amount of PSPs that have dead pixels =/
Very true. If i were to buy a PSP, the only games that interest me are the high graphical ones (from the current lineup)
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:03 PM   #6
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

my genesis nomad only gets 2-3 hours and it eats up 6 aa batteries. however it really isn't a big deal as long as you just bring extra batteries. and in fact the psp uses a cell phone type battery so it is sooo easy to pull off and exchange. sure you may have to recharge it a whole lot and long vacations it may not make it. however how many people play your portable systems for more than 2 hours at a time. very few. the only time i could see this being a real problem is if you were watchign a movie and had to turn the psp off to put another battery in.(now that would be fricking annoying)
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:22 PM   #7
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Oh well, not like the Game Gear days when you had to shell out for 6AAs all the time. Frankly, with the cheapness and availability of rechargable batteries these days i don't even know why bettery life is an issue at all. Case in point, i've been using the same 4 NiMH AA batteries for almost 2 years now (used between my GBA and CD player mostly). Yup, four batteries.

Oh well, i'm not planning on buying a new handheld anytime soon anyways
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:04 PM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancarton
my genesis nomad only gets 2-3 hours and it eats up 6 aa batteries. however it really isn't a big deal as long as you just bring extra batteries. and in fact the psp uses a cell phone type battery so it is sooo easy to pull off and exchange. sure you may have to recharge it a whole lot and long vacations it may not make it. however how many people play your portable systems for more than 2 hours at a time. very few. the only time i could see this being a real problem is if you were watchign a movie and had to turn the psp off to put another battery in.(now that would be fricking annoying)
Did you read what you said? When people go traveling they tend to play the whole trip that is the whole reason of portables. Not so you can play it for partial of the trip
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:04 PM   #9
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
um, it does 'work properly' and it does play graphic intensive games. it was known that battery life would be poor on the first gen of these. so either wait till 2nd gen or buy an extra battery. simple as that.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:18 PM   #10
chew
no

chew is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Did you read what you said? When people go traveling they tend to play the whole trip that is the whole reason of portables. Not so you can play it for partial of the trip
i'm pretty sure you can buy an ac adapter for long trips that can plug into the cigarette lighter or somewhere on the plane.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:23 PM   #11
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So the lack of backlight of the original GBA was a big deal (OH NOES!! I CANT SEE SH!T!!!), but the low power consumption of the PSP is "Oh just bring a new set of batteries...no big deal"?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:27 PM   #12
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach
So the lack of backlight of the original GBA was a big deal (OH NOES!! I CANT SEE SH!T!!!), but the low power consumption of the PSP is "Oh just bring a new set of batteries...no big deal"?

To be fair, i'd say lack of a backlight would effect gameplay far more than a 2 hour battery life. At least it does for me (i have the original GBA ).
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:28 PM   #13
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

radE8 is still being judged by the masses

This reminds me of the bonus DVD that came with Halo 2.

At one part, someone exclaims "damn the framerate, throw everything onto the screen"... or something like that.

That's how I feel about this whole PSP battery thing... "damn the battery life, throw everything into the system".

I am curious about something though. What was the battery life of the very first gameboy? Nintendo has had an eternity to perfect it with their system barely changing over all these years. I expect nothing less than stellar battery life for a DS.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:34 PM   #14
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Because of the ****ing limitations of modern technology. Or would you prefer to pay 10x the price of that console just to get it run for few more hours or get a less powerfull console and then complain because it isn't fast enough.

Last edited by painkiller : Dec 13, 2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:34 PM   #15
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radE8

At one part, someone exclaims "damn the framerate, throw everything onto the screen"... or something like that.

That's how I feel about this whole PSP battery thing... "damn the battery life, throw everything into the system".

I am curious about something though. What was the battery life of the very first gameboy? Nintendo has had an eternity to perfect it with their system barely changing over all these years. I expect nothing less than stellar battery life for a DS.
Damn, i don't remember too well... it'd say about 4-6 hours on 4 AA's. If only they had affordable rechargables back then
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:42 PM   #16
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

i think the psp's problem is it has an optical type media that requires a motorized drive.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:02 PM   #17
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
i think the psp's problem is it has an optical type media that requires a motorized drive.
How long does a portable cd player last? I've forgotten since it's been so long since I've used one. How long does a portable dvd player last? I don't have one, so I have no idea. It would be interesting to compare (strictly on drive power draw alone of course).
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:08 PM   #18
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Damn, i don't remember too well... it'd say about 4-6 hours on 4 AA's. If only they had affordable rechargables back then
A monochrome portable game system lasted 4-6 hours with no motorized parts, and had a single function? Really? And we're complaining about PSP
(a system notably doing far more) battery life? wow.

Ton of pics here by the way...
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...6395&start=300
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:23 PM   #19
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
How long does a portable cd player last? I've forgotten since it's been so long since I've used one. How long does a portable dvd player last? I don't have one, so I have no idea. It would be interesting to compare (strictly on drive power draw alone of course).
something like 12 hrs on 2 AA's....
and all it does it read the disk and spin it...
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:35 PM   #20
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
something like 12 hrs on 2 AA's....
Good. Now is the time the same with a rechargeable battery pack rather than 2 AA's? Now we need a portable DVD player bench for comparison (if what you gave me was the portable cd player figure).
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:00 PM   #21
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Good. Now is the time the same with a rechargeable battery pack rather than 2 AA's?
Umm, that comparison's going to be tough to make, but i do know that NiMH batteries last longer than their disposable equivalents fully charged. The PSP uses lithium-ion though.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:20 PM   #22
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

Yeah, just trying to work through power enhancements with PSP rather than any poor design philosphies. There is a lot going on there in one little system. Getting all that to work at all on the battery life being quoted here isn't something to be taken lightly.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:26 PM   #23
Fox5
Radeon Northern Islands

Fox5 is still being judged by the masses

What? 90 minutes to 3 hours? This completely goes against what we've been hearing as the battery life for ridge racer...at first I though this would be with wifi on, but the article says it's off.

BTW, on a plane and some buses don't they have a power plug to plug into? If not, you can buy a 2nd battery for psp possibly.

Quote:
Wow, you beat out my nomad's battery life. I get around 1 hour on 6 AA batteries, and around 2 hours on the nimh battery that is like twice the size of the external battery pack.
The nomad's battery life is barely enough for a typical 1 way trip on a bus for me, and won't last round trip, plus the screen blurs fairly heavily(it seems to have increased as the system has gotten older), and the system is freaking huge and heavy. It was also expensive for a handheld when it was released.
PSP doesn't have most of those problems though.
The psp's battery is internal, and rechargable.
The psp is not huge compared to the DS, though it may be heavy.
The psp screen is great.(nomad's isn't bad for the games it plays though...when the sonic games actually move fast enough to turn the screen into a blurry mess they're usually not giving you any control over sonic anyhow)
PSP appears to have longer battery life.
PSP's price isn't much more than DS's, though it does lack the metroid hunters demo, which doesn't seem to be anything special.

Quote:
I believe it was something like 20-30 hours on 4 AA batteries.(not sure if the initial gameboys were this good, or if the later rereleases were, which were slightly smaller and had other fixes despite carrying the same name...I think initial gameboy may have been 10-15)
Gameboy Pocket I think was 15-20 hours on 2AA batteries.
GBA was 10-20 on 2AA batteries.
GBA SP was like 15-20 with backlit off on 1 charge, and 8-12 with light on.

I think portable dvd players get about 2-4 hours.

Ah, I left out gameboy color...I know it's battery life was worse than gb and probably worse than gb pocket, and not sure how it compared to gb light.(japan only release I believe, it was a backlit gameboy pocket)

Last edited by Fox5 : Dec 13, 2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Fox5
Radeon Northern Islands

Wasn't able to find official times, but I found some times for the handhelds for battery life from an independent source.(btw, all gameboys came with batteries)

Original Gameboy-
21 hours on 4AA batteries.

GameBoy Pocket- 10 hours on 2AAA(!) batteries.

Gameboy Light uses 2 AA batteries, no time listed for battery life.

Gameboy Color-
7-10 hours on 2AA batteries.

GBA-
15 hours on 2AA batteries.

Game Gear-
6AA batteries, 3.5-5 hours.

NEC TurboGrafx Express-
6AA batteries, 2-3 hours.

Atari Lynx and Lynx II
5 hours and 6 hours on 6 AAs.

Sega Nomad
6AA batteries 1.5-4 hours.(~3 hours for the rechargable nimh battery...which is within the range of what's listed for the batteries so it's pretty meaningless as we don't know if it's a min, max, or average)

Virtual Boy, the one nintendo "handheld" that doesn't come with batteries
6AA batteries last 7 hours.

Tiger's Game.Com
4AA batteries and battery life less than the gameboy...it appears to have battery life around 3-7 hours, which is disappointing considering it offers crappier than gameboy graphics and was released much later.(it has a rechargable battery in the system used to save games and time, maybe that effects battery life?)

Tiger's Game.Com Pocket Pro
2AA batteries for 8-10 hours

Neo Geo Pocket
2AAA batteries and 20 hours of battery life, has the same rechargable battery as the game.coms and with the same purpose.(battery doesn't come preinstalled though)

Neo Geo Pocket Color
2AA batteries, battery life is worse but it doesn't say by how much. It estimates it to be about the same or slightly less(sort of like gameboy pocket versus gameboy color) since it uses bigger batteries.

Bandai Wonderswan
On a single AA battery is lasts 30 hours.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:53 PM   #25
_leech_
Banned

No way the original Gameboy lasted 20 hours.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:55 PM   #26
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I can confirm the Gameboy pockets battery life, thing lasts forever on 2 triple a's

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:58 PM   #27
Fox5
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by _leech_
No way the original Gameboy lasted 20 hours.
I don't know about the old 1989 gameboy, but the rerelease play it loud series(slightly smaller, colored cases, maybe some other things?) for me always lasted over 20 hours, and the site I went to also had a play it loud series gameboy and said it lasted for 21. I'd imagine the original 1989 gameboy wasn't much worse, it certainly wasn't below 10 and probably not below 15.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:18 PM   #28
typoEDR
Radeon Caribbean Islands

typoEDR is still being judged by the masses

I wish I could give an estimate on the original GB, but the most I've ever played on a handheld was an hour. 21 hours on the original Game Boy sounds too much, but it definitely wasn't four to six hours either. I'd make a guestimate at around 10-15 hrs.

I'm not very impressed with the PSP's battery life. Not at all. And I love Sony's systems. The only way I would purchase the system is if they had subsequent revisions that would improve battery life by at least double. Rechargable, yes, but very, very annoying.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:53 PM   #29
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

From what I can remember the battery life of the original Gameboy (I had it for years) was around 12-15hours

now that's just using regular Alkaline AA's...none of these newer Lithium Ion or NiMh batteries.

It's too bad the PSP didn't take AA batteries...you can get a set of Energizer 2500mAh NiMh batteries that would last quite a bit longer than the 1800mAh Lithium Ion battery that comes with it.

I already have about 16 or so 2300Mah AA's lying around the house
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:31 PM   #30
ManicDVLN
Radeon R520

ManicDVLN is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobinator
FromGamespot

"Q: How long does the PSP's battery last?

A: The short answer is that it depends on what you're doing. The longer answer is that Sony has stated that the battery should last around six hours. With simpler-looking games, like Lumines or Mahjong Fight Club, that definitely seems to be the case. But with more graphically intensive games, like Ridge Racers, the battery doesn't last quite as long. Based on our estimates and a few battery-draining tests, Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours. Playing with the wireless networking switch flipped on will also further reduce your battery life. The system has an auto-sleep function that stops the wireless drain, but that switch is there for a reason. Turn it off when you're not using it.

Video and audio will likely drain the battery differently, depending on where the content is coming from. It's less power-intensive to read from the memory stick slot than the universal media disc drive, though without any audio discs and only one demo video disc full of short games and movie trailers available now, it's difficult to actually put a number on this. Considering that the screen will black out if left unattended, it seems reasonable that you should get a good amount of battery power out of the system when listening to audio. "

In my opinion thats a big turn off, 1.5-3 hours is nothing at all. I spend about 4-5 hours on the bus a day so this wouldn't help at all.
Ridge Racer with LAN play lasts only 55 minutes. I guess my friend, PSP is not your answer.

Nintendo DS is what you are looking for, 10 hours of play with no fuss.
1 Gb 400mhz DDR memory
DFI K8M800-MLVF
Seagate 80GIG 7200RPM ATA 100
NEC DVD Writer ND-2500A
Creative Audigy 2 "OEM"
Belkin 54g wireless pci
Closed Thread