Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jul 24, 2019, 06:49 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Well 18% oc for a 7% uplift tells me theres something else going on. You def dont need watercooling to get to 2.1 ghz as some have gotten to 2.2 ghz on the blower cooler alone.

AIB's will easily get to 2.0-2.2 depending on silicon lottery.

Looking forward to future driver updates but I really hope its not a ram bottleneck issue as it doesnt look like GDDR6 oc's at all. Maybe some AIBs can use 16 gbps instead of the 14 gbps the standard card uses.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:26 PM   #212
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Affordable cooler for navi:

60$ US plus free ship to CAD.

Not bad but wonder if it works on vega...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:28 PM   #213
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

So Lisa Su announces high end GPUs (RX 5800?) are coming .

Quote:
AMD CEO Lisa Su confirmed as much during AMD’s recent financial reports, answering questions from investors over the future of their high-end graphics cards. High-end GPUs utilising the 7nm Navi architecture are absolutely on the way.

“I would say they are coming,” Su said, somewhat cryptically. “You should expect that our execution on those are on track and we have a rich 7nm portfolio beyond the products that we have currently announced in the upcoming quarters.”

So this should compete with the 2080/S?
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:04 AM   #214
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Itd be easy to design a slightly bigger 7nm chip that could handle up to 2080ti perf. Current is 250 mm2 but if they went to just 350mm2 it would be enough to catch up to what little perf the 5700xt cant reach up to using a slightly bigger mem bus like 384 bit with more rop's, TU's and shaders... But being first out the gate with 7m means high cost and low yields.

If they dont announce by end of sept they wont make the holidays imo.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:51 AM   #215
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Itd be easy to design a slightly bigger 7nm chip that could handle up to 2080ti perf. Current is 250 mm2 but if they went to just 350mm2 it would be enough to catch up to what little perf the 5700xt cant reach up to using a slightly bigger mem bus like 384 bit with more rop's, TU's and shaders... But being first out the gate with 7m means high cost and low yields.

If they dont announce by end of sept they wont make the holidays imo.
they need to beat the 2080 ti at this point and it would need 12gb+ memory also so don't expect cheap
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:18 PM   #216
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why would it need 12gb+ memory .. 11gb is still overkill. as long as it has 10 it's fine
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 02:22 PM   #217
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Why would it need 12gb+ memory .. 11gb is still overkill. as long as it has 10 it's fine
they won't go less than a ti for a top card and they most always use even numbers memory amounts
so most likely 12gb or 16gb

if they do go for a top card
Old Aug 1, 2019, 03:27 PM   #218
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Serious question: when's the last time AMD had a top end contender?

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 04:52 PM   #219
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Serious question: when's the last time AMD had a top end contender?
They had that dual chip card a while back.
Single chip, maybe 9700 Pro and derivatives.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 05:28 PM   #220
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
They had that dual chip card a while back.
Single chip, maybe 9700 Pro and derivatives.
well the 4870 made NV drop prices and do refunds

the 7970 was a top card

and the fury x was close to the 980 ti

after fury x nothing
Old Aug 1, 2019, 05:48 PM   #221
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks, been a while.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 06:23 PM   #222
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Cant come soon enough, Here's hoping it competes at the 2080 Ti speed for a much better price. If its the same price or close to the same price I still wouldn't see it as a win. If the price were equal I would probably still buy Nvidia.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 07:15 PM   #223
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If it can keep up with the 2080 Super it will be a win for AMD.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 07:25 PM   #224
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
If it can keep up with the 2080 Super it will be a win for AMD.
Only if its priced right. The problem being I think they would charge the same as the 2080S which I dont think would be a win.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 08:31 PM   #225
Megaman
Packing heat!

You'll find that if AMD can get the 5800 to 2080 Super performance, that'll be a win by itself but yes a lot rides on the price. If the price matches, it'll still be good.

The problem is getting AMD to release a product that'll match a high end NV GPU.

Forget the 2080 Ti. That's just a Titan card in disguise. All consumers have done is prove to Nvidia they have the $$$ to blow on a Titan disguised flagship card. Now, they'll rape us on MSRP from here on.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 08:50 PM   #226
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You'll find that if AMD can get the 5800 to 2080 Super performance, that'll be a win by itself but yes a lot rides on the price. If the price matches, it'll still be good.

The problem is getting AMD to release a product that'll match a high end NV GPU.

Forget the 2080 Ti. That's just a Titan card in disguise. All consumers have done is prove to Nvidia they have the $$$ to blow on a Titan disguised flagship card. Now, they'll rape us on MSRP from here on.
nope

there is a RTX Titan

AMD needs to beat the 2080 ti .
even if it is without RT
Old Aug 1, 2019, 08:56 PM   #227
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Meh... 2080 Ti is a Titan GPU. The performance gap between it and the 2080 is too big.
nope about the same as the 1080 and 1080 ti and 980 vs 980 ti

only the prices gap has changed

I want a non RT AMD card faster than the 2080 ti and I don't care if it is 799 to 999
because it has to be between the 7nm 3080 and 3080 ti

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 1, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 09:51 PM   #228
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
well the 4870 made NV drop prices and do refunds

the 7970 was a top card

and the fury x was close to the 980 ti

after fury x nothing
Yeah I would also say the Fury X was the last. Maybe slightly slower than 980 Ti, and certainly didn't overclock as well, but at least it was in the same ballpark and would win in some games. 290X actually was pretty competitive too, probably even more so than the Fury, even though it was criticized for running hot upon release.

It's really only the Nvidia 1000 series/AMD Vega series where AMD fell completely out of competition. But that's still more than three years now, counting from when the 1080 was released (Vega was delayed and didn't come out for over a year later and even then it didn't beat the 1080).
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:43 PM   #229
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Fury X was the last good crossfire card also

I had Fury X CFX and 980 SLI and Fury X

and Fury X CFX did much better at 4k

and decided me on never buying a non ti card again I regretted not waiting on the 980 ti's

……..

people bitch about the 2080 ti price

but i paid $1,279.98 for two 980 Poseidon's and 1379.96 for two Fury x's

the 2080 ti strix was 1,349.99 and is faster than both setups at 4k even when SLI/CFX was working good

and uses a lot less power and puts out a lot less heat than those SLI/CFX setups

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 1, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 02:40 AM   #230
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I agree, the only non-top tier chip I bought was GTX680 SLI and regretted it.

I don't mind going for a 2nd tier card, as long as it's still the top chip, albeit cutdown. For longevity I try to stay away from GX-104 etc.

Bill, people complained about 2080TI price because it's also the smallest performance increase in history. If it was faster I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Geez I hope AMD deliver. I'll end up buying one and 3 weeks later Nv will drop something better.. whatever, I wouldn't mind a change to AMD GPU.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 05:28 AM   #231
Nascar24

Quote:
Fury X was the last good crossfire card also

I had Fury X CFX and 980 SLI and Fury X

and Fury X CFX did much better at 4k

and decided me on never buying a non ti card again I regretted not waiting on the 980 ti's

……..

people bitch about the 2080 ti price

but i paid $1,279.98 for two 980 Poseidon's and 1379.96 for two Fury x's

the 2080 ti strix was 1,349.99 and is faster than both setups at 4k even when SLI/CFX was working good

and uses a lot less power and puts out a lot less heat than those SLI/CFX setups
Come on Bill, you bought 2 for that price, I don't care about the speed back then tech is suppose to advance as time goes on, this is about Nvidia not wanting to give up their crypto prices and passing that bs onto you.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:14 AM   #232
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Come on Bill, you bought 2 for that price, I don't care about the speed back then tech is suppose to advance as time goes on, this is about Nvidia not wanting to give up their crypto prices and passing that bs onto you.
I'm not saying NV is not being ass hats and that it was the 1080 ti's selling for 2x it's MSRP to miners is the main reason the RTX's are priced high it is

just saying i'm still paying about the same for more performance or really half as much since I didn't buy 4 cards, two cards from both AMD & NV
since AMD has no top card

and since the 2080 ti can do 4k with a single card AMD needs the same or faster to beat it and get a 4k card
since CFX is dead

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:52 AM   #233
Nascar24

Quote:
I'm not saying NV is not being ass hats and that it was the 1080 ti's selling for 2x it's MSRP to miners is the main reason the RTX's are priced high it is

just saying i'm still paying about the same for more performance or really half as much since I didn't buy 4 cards, two cards from both AMD & NV
since AMD has no top card

and since the 2080 ti can do 4k with a single card AMD needs the same or faster to beat it and get a 4k card
since CFX is dead
Yes for AMD to be successful I agree they need to bypass the 2080 Ti because it probably wont have raytracing and have it at a reasonable price. Otherwise I wouldn't see a reason to buy their product, I would just go with Nvidia if they are equal priced and same performance.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:19 PM   #234
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

I hope for a RX 5900 XT that is faster than the 2080 ti without RT

and 800 bucks or less but it will most likely be 2x the price of the 5700 xt
Old Aug 2, 2019, 06:31 PM   #235
Megaman
Packing heat!

Isn’t AMD doing Ray tracing via drivers/software without the need for RT cores?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 06:35 PM   #236
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Isn’t AMD doing Ray tracing via drivers/software without the need for RT cores?
so far yes

and another reason they need to be faster than the 2080 ti
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:25 AM   #237
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

I can't see another GPU from AMD until Q2/Q3 2020 as next EPYC 2 is on the way and that will be followed in 2020 by Zen 3. Also bear in mind AMD will be gearing up for the new Xbox and Playstation next year so not too much time/cash for another GPU launch. Just my 2p's worth.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:11 PM   #238
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
I can't see another GPU from AMD until Q2/Q3 2020 as next EPYC 2 is on the way and that will be followed in 2020 by Zen 3. Also bear in mind AMD will be gearing up for the new Xbox and Playstation next year so not too much time/cash for another GPU launch. Just my 2p's worth.
no if they planed Navi from the start to be two chips one a high end then Q4 this year is very possible

and there has been rumors about a high end Navi for months

this would be just what NV did with the 680 two chip lines a small chip and a big full chip
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:55 PM   #239
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
no if they planed Navi from the start to be two chips one a high end then Q4 this year is very possible

and there has been rumors about a high end Navi for months

this would be just what NV did with the 680 two chip lines a small chip and a big full chip
If you look at AMD's future guidance at last weeks results they are looking at single digit growth in 2H 2019 which tanked the shares about 12% since. That really doesn't look like an imminent new GPU launch to me. Lisa Su mentioned 7nm releases which as I've said will include EPYC 2 and Zen 3 for sure. Plus will AMD p**s of both Sony and M$ by releasing a high-end GPU before the next consoles?
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 01:05 PM   #240
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
If you look at AMD's future guidance at last weeks results they are looking at single digit growth in 2H 2019 which tanked the shares about 12% since. That really doesn't look like an imminent new GPU launch to me. Lisa Su mentioned 7nm releases which as I've said will include EPYC 2 and Zen 3 for sure. Plus will AMD p**s of both Sony and M$ by releasing a high-end GPU before the next consoles?
sure why not different market

and the next consoles are likely to be November or December 2020 they say

and 7nm is also navi

……….

Quote:
Impatient to see how, or if, AMD challenges Nvida in the high-end graphics card market? It could happen sooner rather than later, as team red’s CEO and president, Lisa Su, has confirmed 7nm Navi GPUs that could compete against the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti are coming.
https://www.techspot.com/news/81265-...rds-track.html

I really don't think she would say that now if it was next year .

maybe December before X-mass is always a good time for a release

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 4, 2019 at 02:00 PM.