Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:53 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

Supposedly, Nvidia will release a refresh part in august, as it's features will be discussed in a developers conference that I can't even remember the name of it, but it could be anything from a Pascal made at 12nm and clocked even faster while packing GDDR6 memory, or an actual new architecture.

2019 will be interesting in that AMD bypassed the 12nm step altogether and will go for 7nm when it comes to GPU's as shown with Vega, so the question is if Nvidia ( specifically TSMC ) will be ready for high volume 7nm production the way Global foundries seems to be gearing up for.

This could an interesting situation in a year's time....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:55 AM   #32
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I like the talk about finally using infinity fabric with 2 or more gpus. But will it allow seemless crossfire support in games whether coded for it or not...

We'll have to wait and see...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2018, 01:01 PM   #33
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I like the talk about finally using infinity fabric with 2 or more gpus. But will it allow seemless crossfire support in games whether coded for it or not...

We'll have to wait and see...
depends on how they do it but I do think that is the goal and why they are using on chip HBM

if say two or more GPU's working on one 32gb+ memory pool all at once I don't see why not
windows would probably need to know about it thru a driver but not the games hopefully
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 7, 2018, 01:07 PM   #34
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Supposedly, Nvidia will release a refresh part in august, as it's features will be discussed in a developers conference that I can't even remember the name of it, but it could be anything from a Pascal made at 12nm and clocked even faster while packing GDDR6 memory, or an actual new architecture.

2019 will be interesting in that AMD bypassed the 12nm step altogether and will go for 7nm when it comes to GPU's as shown with Vega, so the question is if Nvidia ( specifically TSMC ) will be ready for high volume 7nm production the way Global foundries seems to be gearing up for.

This could an interesting situation in a year's time....
Quote:
NVIDIA’s CEO, Jensen Huang, Says Next Generation GeForce Graphics Cards Are Still A Long Way Away
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ceo-jens...-geforce-gpus/

they got wind of AMD skipping 12nm and taking longer and they are going to milk 1080 & 1080 ti's till AMD puts out a gaming card .
Old Jun 7, 2018, 04:37 PM   #35
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Radeon Graphics Chief: We Lost Gaming Momentum Chasing AI

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#458ad78c29fd
Old Jun 7, 2018, 05:37 PM   #36
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ceo-jens...-geforce-gpus/

they got wind of AMD skipping 12nm and taking longer and they are going to milk 1080 & 1080 ti's till AMD puts out a gaming card .
Quote:

The disadvantage of being with just 2 major brands to choose from unfortunately.....It's one of those situations where you miss the old days with more brands to chose from, be it Nvidia, ATI, Matrox, 3dfx, S3, power VR.....The majority are all gone and we're down to just 2.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 06:10 PM   #37
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The disadvantage of being with just 2 major brands to choose from unfortunately.....It's one of those situations where you miss the old days with more brands to chose from, be it Nvidia, ATI, Matrox, 3dfx, S3, power VR.....The majority are all gone and we're down to just 2.
for a year and a half maybe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#528b3dbb3578

if Raja does nof **** up another one

and intel does not end up with more patent lawsuits from both NVidia and AMD than video cards

and then AMD will go after Raja and Intel if he uses anything that even looks like AMD stuf
Old Jun 7, 2018, 06:30 PM   #38
shadow001

Quote:
and then AMD will go after Raja and Intel if he uses anything that even looks like AMD stuf

They already are with some Intel chips having a Vega die in the same package, which for 1080p gaming is not exactly crappy by any standard.

Will they aim higher and if so, just how much higher is the question.....Intel and AMD have so many cross licensing agreements at this point, that it's hard to even know who developed what first.

It's no secret that Intel is for instance going to use the same multi die strategy that tread ripper does as a short and medium term solution, given how hard it is becoming to keep on shrinking the process node, and their latest joke with their 28 core CPU being aimed at the HEDT market, where said chip is normally clocked at 2.5 Ghz for a 200 watt TDP, but they got it to 5Ghz using a chilled water that cools the chip to -10*C and can dissipate 1700 watts of heat.....Picture follows :

https://imgur.com/CEeFky7

Seems that the chip was pushing nearly 1000 watts of power at 5Ghz.....They're scared stupid of AMD's 32 core thread ripper cooled with nothing more than this:

https://imgur.com/kjppWKw

Still running an all core turbo of 3.4Ghz, with a single core maximum of 3.7 Ghz at a 250 watt TDP......I can't wait to get my hands on this puppy in early august and double my current CPU power, while still using the same motherboard.....
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:37 PM   #39
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

http://www.legitreviews.com/cooler-m...dripper_205969

that's one big cooler

i'll stick to a little waterblock
Old Jun 8, 2018, 05:16 AM   #40
shadow001

Quote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/cooler-m...dripper_205969

that's one big cooler

i'll stick to a little waterblock

Same here, with an EK block and a pair of 240 mm radiators and push pull noctuas just for the CPU alone in it's own loop...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 09:42 PM   #41
shadow001

This had to come up of course, it's a oldie but funny as hell :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ozcEel1rNKM

I couldn't stop laughing.....
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:55 AM   #42
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Nvidia and AMD graphics card foundry ramps up 7nm production

https://www.pcgamesn.com/tsmc-7nm-production-increase
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:52 PM   #43
shadow001

Quote:

Indeed, but AMD showed a working GPU at 7nm as well as the first working samples of a 7nm Zen at this latest show, even though it's only being released next year....

What has Nvidia shown in terms of actual working silicon at 7nm?....You guessed it, nothing.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 01:51 PM   #44
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Indeed, but AMD showed a working GPU at 7nm as well as the first working samples of a 7nm Zen at this latest show, even though it's only being released next year....

What has Nvidia shown in terms of actual working silicon at 7nm?....You guessed it, nothing.
oh they have it and I honestly believe they could release the 1180 now or within a month or two if they needed to but will milk the 1080 and 1080 ti for as long as they can
Old Jun 9, 2018, 02:08 PM   #45
shadow001

Quote:
oh they have it and I honestly believe they could release the 1180 now or within a month or two if they needed to but will milk the 1080 and 1080 ti for as long as they can

Even those updates likely would still be 12nm parts, which they have Volta to prove it their using that process, but i haven't heard heard anything on the 7nm front?.....
Old Jun 9, 2018, 02:55 PM   #46
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

The only way they could release it in a month or two is if they have the chips already made and stock piled. Which is something they would not do unless they where planning on releasing such cards, which they have already stated they do not plan on doing. It takes 90 days (3 months) just to fabricate/manufactor the chips, which does not include assembling the actual cards. So, no, they could not release the 1180 in a month or two at this current point and time.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 03:32 PM   #47
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
The only way they could release it in a month or two is if they have the chips already made and stock piled. Which is something they would not do unless they where planning on releasing such cards, which they have already stated they do not plan on doing. It takes 90 days (3 months) just to fabricate/manufactor the chips, which does not include assembling the actual cards. So, no, they could not release the 1180 in a month or two at this current point and time.
I was talking about their normal gaming card release

look at this new card today running on our test system

and 25 review samples are on the way to hand picked reviewers soon and then you can have the cards in 3 months or so after reviews

…….
but I think they have had working and ready samples for months and most likely before AMD had Vega 7nm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 04:29 PM   #48
shadow001

Quote:
I was talking about their normal gaming card release

look at this new card today running on our test system

and 25 review samples are on the way to hand picked reviewers soon and then you can have the cards in 3 months or so after reviews

…….
but I think they have had working and ready samples for months and most likely before AMD had Vega 7nm

They could also apply the same trick they've done a few times already......initial release cards are " founders " editions, directly from Nvidia and are sold at a hefty price premium, and cards from the major brands that carry Nvidia cards, only be released a couple of months later.....

The review cards could be the above scenario.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:35 PM   #49
shadow001

Well, well....It seems there will be gaming version of the 7nm Vega after all according to hardware unboxed.....See just past the 4M20sec mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGRASKMCMXk

So it's not just radeon instinct compute cards using this chip..... And here's Nvidia still on 12nm as far as we know, so this could be an interesting 2nd half of the year after all.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:39 PM   #50
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

It wasnt clear whether it would be a 7nm vega or whenever navi comes out on 7nm. We'll have to wait and see but if its navi its a long way away. Probably end of 2019...

I get the impression from the presentation that AMD isnt sure what it will do next in regards to the vega to navi timeframe. Maybe they are waiting on what Nvidia will do and see if they bring out a new core or just another update to 7nm and when...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:59 PM   #51
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
It wasnt clear whether it would be a 7nm vega or whenever navi comes out on 7nm. We'll have to wait and see but if its navi its a long way away. Probably end of 2019...

I get the impression from the presentation that AMD isnt sure what it will do next in regards to the vega to navi timeframe. Maybe they are waiting on what Nvidia will do and see if they bring out a new core or just another update to 7nm and when...
there is some fud that navi is a 250 buck 1080 non ti

https://hothardware.com/news/amds-7n...nstream-prices

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-...s-performance/

if it is just a 580 replacement

or if both I do hope they don't do the mainstream first
Old Jun 10, 2018, 01:10 PM   #52
pax
Rage3D Spammer

We'll with Infinity fabric I get that they dont want to design huge chips anymore. Its too expensive. They dont need to *if* IF works as well on gpus as cpus. The high end navi will be a dual chip solution and the midrange a single.

I think they can easily fit, and with good tdp, dual 7nm gpus on one card.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 10, 2018, 01:49 PM   #53
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
We'll with Infinity fabric I get that they dont want to design huge chips anymore. Its too expensive. They dont need to *if* IF works as well on gpus as cpus. The high end navi will be a dual chip solution and the midrange a single.

I think they can easily fit, and with good tdp, dual 7nm gpus on one card.
hopefully if they are ready for that this time I know the "next gen 7nm" was planed for that I think

maybe navi since they moved vega to 7nm early as a pipe cleaner

we can hope I would buy a "2 core gpu on a chip" that is 2x faster than 1080 non ti in a heartbeat, the thing would blow away my 1080 ti strix at 4k

if games only see one big gpu and cf profiles of game programing is not needed

and if the navi single core is 250 the duel core would be what 550 to 650 ?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:28 PM   #54
pax
Rage3D Spammer

We might find out something cool on wed:

https://twitter.com/AMDGaming/status...96544994349058

Quote:
Tune in Wednesday, June 13 at 10AM PT/12PM CT when AMD takes to the #E3Coliseum stage to discuss all things gaming. http://bit.ly/2Lz7DcN

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 11, 2018, 01:43 PM   #55
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Doubt it... probably just the 580X launch.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 03:48 PM   #56
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Feels like amd needs to launch a card to accompany all those upcoming hdr/freesync monitors though.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 01:13 PM   #57
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Feels like amd needs to launch a card to accompany all those upcoming hdr/freesync monitors though.
And something beefy enough to drive the new 1440p and 4k FreeSync 2 panels 100fps+. Another RX480 rebadge ain't gonna cut it.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 AM   #58
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

No real announcement?

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit
jesdals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 06:48 PM   #59
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
"Allegedly, Koduri saw up to a massive 2/3 of his engineering team devoted exclusively to Navi against his wishes, which resulted in a final RX Vega product Koduri was displeased with as resources and engineering hours were much lower than anticipated. As I mention in my companion report, the implication is that AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su wanted to devote more energy into its semi-custom business than its desktop graphics division."
Sourcey McSourcey Source

If that's true... I don't blame Raja one bit. You NEVER throw all your eggs in one basket. EVER. You shift resources as needed to get things done. Vega is an amazing product for what it is and based on that article.. how low on the totem pole it was placed. I'd love to hear Lisa Su's reasoning behind it all though.

HOWEVER...

I can see why she did it from a stability standpoint. She wants to get AMD to STABLE and debt free footing. Semi-Custom is one of the best ways to get a stable and steady cash flow. One that they can depend on for consoles. So its not like I am mad at her for doing what she did there if true.

Don't get me wrong, I am loving AMD's share prices right now. I bought in at under $7.20 at 1000 direct shares and at $1.82 with 250 direct shares. Its above $16 right now.. Still, I don't like disgruntled employees leaving. If Raja wasn't given a fair shot, Lisa should address these stories imho.

Last edited by Flyordie : Jun 13, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 07:00 PM   #60
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Sourcey McSourcey Source

If that's true... I don't blame Raja one bit. You NEVER throw all your eggs in one basket. EVER. You shift resources as needed to get things done. Vega is an amazing product for what it is and based on that article.. how low on the totem pole it was placed. I'd love to hear Lisa Su's reasoning behind it all though.
It could be there were signs that Vega wasn't going to be up to snuff for gaming and they basically pulled the plug on it. Just finished it up for compute workloads, plus whatever gaming performance it could actually provide while knowing it wouldn't be competitive there.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote