Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 11, 2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Eight Cores At 5GHz: Intel Core i9-9900KS Review

https://techgage.com/article/intel-c...9900ks-review/

"In 2017, Intel introduced the six-core Core i7-8700K, and for the time, it was an absolute screamer. With its ability to hit 4.7GHz on a couple of cores, the chip seemed pretty impressive overall – at least until the Core i9-9900K came out. That one added two cores and four threads, and an all-core Turbo of 4.7GHz. With KS, Intel kicks things up a notch to deliver 5GHz on all eight cores. You could say that this chip is fast."

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2019, 01:49 PM   #2
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Everything being said, the original 9900K required a good cooling solution to keep temperatures under control, and even today, with our dual-rad Corsair H100i v2 setup, the 9900KS gets hotter than we’d like to see (~90°C). Fortunately, we couldn’t see any degradation in performance due to temperatures in our testing, so our Corsair AIO continues to serve its purpose – but we’d feel even better with a triple-rad cooler.
Quote:
Only includes a 1-year warranty.

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 11, 2019 at 01:55 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2019, 02:35 PM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
It'll start to throttle after that...... or flame out.

yoz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 11, 2019, 02:47 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
It'll start to throttle after that...... or flame out.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i9-9900...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

600 bucks for a 1-year warranty you got to be to buy that

or a 3-year warranty on a 3700x or 3800x for 329 or 379 with a game and 3 months of game pass

and at 4k it will not matter one bit which one you have one bit
and very little at 1440p

………

and doesn't still have all the intel security flaws ?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 02:50 PM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i9-9900...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

600 bucks for a 1-year warranty you got to be to buy that

or a 3-year warranty on a 3700x or 3800x for 329 or 379 with a game and 3 months of game pass

and at 4k it will not matter one bit which one you have one bit
and very little at 1440p
Pretty much, happy with my 8086K @5GHz.

yoz
Old Nov 11, 2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

They must be retarded if they were hitting 90c at 5Ghz

Chip makes a good difference at 1440P.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2019, 03:52 PM   #7
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Chip makes a good difference at 1440P.
Show me.

yoz
Old Nov 11, 2019, 04:35 PM   #8
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Show me.
it will turn your AIO cooler into a nice tea brewer

want a cuppa

………...

other than that at 1440p max ultra settings it might do a few (single digits)FPS more in some games
Old Nov 11, 2019, 05:59 PM   #9
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Show me.
Use Google? I don't have benches from when I had my 3770K/6700K. I ran a 3770K for years, and then went to a 6700K for only a few months before I paid for the 9900K. I've been 1440P for years now. I wouldn't have wasted money on a chip unless the 6700K was struggling, and it was. My 2080TI was being throttled by it. Assassin's Creed Oddessy and Kingdom Come Deliverance both seen massive jumps in minimums with the upgrade.

The 9900K only runs hot when you start pushing voltage. I don't see how they're hitting 90c on a 240/280mm rad unless it's using garbage fans. The auto voltage on the Mobo could be overvolting for 5Ghz, idk. What I do know is that my 9900K runs 5Ghz all core at very good temps with the pump on Quiet and the fans on Quiet.

The difference between the 8 and 9 series isn't much. The difference between the 7 and below series is massive. Those 2/4 extra cores made a world of difference. I'm also at work so unable to post benches even if I had some
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 11, 2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Need to watch the GN video that shows issues with certain boards causing insane Voltages with the 9900KS.

MSI and Gigabyte show 210w pulled for the CPU rathe then the 127w which of course is a hefty increase in power/heat.

Asus and Asrock don't have that problem.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2019, 06:41 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Need to watch the GN video that shows issues with certain boards causing insane Voltages with the 9900KS.

MSI and Gigabyte show 210w pulled for the CPU rathe then the 127w which of course is a hefty increase in power/heat.

Asus and Asrock don't have that problem.
Quote:
Intel LGA1151 Test Platform
Processors Intel Core i9-9900KS (4.0GHz, 8C/16T)
Intel Core i9-9900K (3.60GHz, 8C/16T)
Intel Core i7-8700K (3.70GHz, 8C/16T)
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU tested with BIOS 1005 (April 28, 2019) *
* 9900K and 9900KS tested with BIOS 1302 (September 20, 2019)
Memory G.SKILL Flare X (F4-3200C14-8GFX) 8GB x 4
Operates at DDR4-3200 14-14-14 (1.35V)
Graphics NVIDIA TITAN Xp (12GB; GeForce 430.86)
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB (SATA 6Gbps)
Power Supply Corsair RM650X (1200W)
Chassis NZXT S340 Elite Mid-tower
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i V2 AIO Liquid Cooler (240mm)
Et cetera Windows 10 Pro (1903, Build 18362)
this review
Old Nov 11, 2019, 07:30 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Use Google? I don't have benches from when I had my 3770K/6700K. I ran a 3770K for years, and then went to a 6700K for only a few months before I paid for the 9900K. I've been 1440P for years now. I wouldn't have wasted money on a chip unless the 6700K was struggling, and it was. My 2080TI was being throttled by it. Assassin's Creed Oddessy and Kingdom Come Deliverance both seen massive jumps in minimums with the upgrade.

The 9900K only runs hot when you start pushing voltage. I don't see how they're hitting 90c on a 240/280mm rad unless it's using garbage fans. The auto voltage on the Mobo could be overvolting for 5Ghz, idk. What I do know is that my 9900K runs 5Ghz all core at very good temps with the pump on Quiet and the fans on Quiet.

The difference between the 8 and 9 series isn't much. The difference between the 7 and below series is massive. Those 2/4 extra cores made a world of difference. I'm also at work so unable to post benches even if I had some
That's what I was after, would there be that much of a difference in my setup by spending money on this CPU.

yoz
Old Nov 11, 2019, 08:14 PM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
That's what I was after, would there be that much of a difference in my setup by spending money on this CPU.
Absolutely not. It's a big upgrade from any 4 core or older 6core CPU, but other than that, nope. If you're running an 8 series, it's a waste of money. I think in the thread I made with my build progress, you can see some of the Cinebench numbers of Demo 8 series CPU vs my 9900K @ 5Ghz and 5.1Ghz.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...php?t=34049620
Old Nov 12, 2019, 01:16 AM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I don't know what they are doing to that setup. I have my 9900k at 5.0 on all cores and don't even come close to 90c. Stress testing for 10 hours and I maxed out at 79.6c. My average was 76c. Gaming, I don't break 65c. And my fans and pump are set to quiet.

The 9900k, for me, was great. I updated from a 4770k. The extra cores and extra speed was a game changer for me. Plus that 4770k was getting LOOOONG in the tooth. I did notice a huge gain in gaming and also big increases in fps minimums. The fps minimums that I was getting with the 4770k was killing my gaming and I didn't even realize it until I upgraded. Now that isn't an issue anymore and everything runs much smoother.

I haven't regretted my purchase one second and I was really looking forward to the AMD offerings this last summer. After it was all said and done I think I came out better and at a better price point with my new Intel build when I included price for a new motherboard, Nvme, ram, and CPU.

Don't know what you'll see if anything going from a 8086k @ 5.0 to a 9900ks. I think you'd be looking at improvements well within the margin of error on most things.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2019, 06:09 AM   #15
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRavens Nest can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRavens Nest can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Everything being said, the original 9900K required a good cooling solution to keep temperatures under control, and even today, with our dual-rad Corsair H100i v2 setup, the 9900KS gets hotter than we’d like to see (~90°C). Fortunately, we couldn’t see any degradation in performance due to temperatures in our testing, so our Corsair AIO continues to serve its purpose – but we’d feel even better with a triple-rad cooler.

It needs delidding! 90°C is madness
Old Nov 12, 2019, 07:08 AM   #16
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Wtf 90c?!

Quote:
Nah, they're pretty close for gaming and there's new CPUs on the way.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 09:31 AM   #17
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Nah, they're pretty close for gaming and there's new CPUs on the way.
Agreed.

yoz
Old Nov 12, 2019, 02:57 PM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
maybe 87c here

Quote:
The core difference is TDP (Thermal Design Power) and clock speed: this chunk of silicon sees the TDP jump to 127W from 95W, with the base clock speed jumping to 4.0GHz from 3.6GHz. This leads to the core selling point of this "Special Edition" processor – the Core i9-9900KS hits a boost clock of 5.0GHz across all cores, rather than just two cores on the original 9900K.
This boost in TDP does see temperatures go up, however. Even using the NZXT X52 AIO, temperatures climbed up to 87°C during our testing

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900ks

toms it do run toasty

Quote:
We paired the chip with a beefy Noctua NH-D15S air cooler, and at stock settings, the chip often bumped against its 100C thermal limit

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...edition-review
Old Nov 12, 2019, 03:32 PM   #19
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
90C is quite reasonable considering it doesn't downclock for AVX workloads. That's an insane amount of heat to dissipate from a relatively tiny die. The situation will only get worse on future process nodes. Perhaps Intel can get creative with EMIB to spread out the hotspots on future designs.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2019, 05:38 PM   #20
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
90C is quite reasonable considering it doesn't downclock for AVX workloads. That's an insane amount of heat to dissipate from a relatively tiny die. The situation will only get worse on future process nodes. Perhaps Intel can get creative with EMIB to spread out the hotspots on future designs.
it's the same 14++++++++

they know it bad or they would not have dropped the warranty from 3 to 1 year

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68448...nty/index.html
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:33 PM   #21
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
it's the same 14++++++++

they know it bad or they would not have dropped the warranty from 3 to 1 year

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68448...nty/index.html
It's a tiny die relative to something like a GPU that pulls similar power but at much lower thermal density. AMD has the same hotspot problem with their 7nm chips.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 01:03 AM   #22
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
It's a tiny die relative to something like a GPU that pulls similar power but at much lower thermal density. AMD has the same hotspot problem with their 7nm chips.
nope
my 7nm 3800x idles at about 32c in a 80f room and never goes over 60c 100% load and less gaming
about the same as my 14nm 1800x ran with the same water cooling and block

this thing is being pushed way too hard and they know it or why the 1 year warranty on a high end 600 buck 8 core CPU
almost twice the price of a 3800x that does have a 3 year warranty

and this thing is 127 watts a 2080 ti is like 300+ watts

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 13, 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 06:41 PM   #23
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Why do you keep your room temp at 80F?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2019, 07:00 PM   #24
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Why do you keep your room temp at 80F?
most of the time I don't most of the time it is 74f but everything is off right now no heat or cool

phoenix weather mild right now

but the office can get warmer than the rest of the house

with a 55" TV and a 40" monitor and a 2080 ti