Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Synetech
Radeon R700

Synetech is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down ! Catalyst Crew Feedback: No Longer <Free>

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure where to post this specific thread, it kind of belongs everywhere and nowhere...

The MMC has a new, annoying bug so I went to the (new and crappy) ATI site to report it using the Catalyst Crew Feedback form with which we've all become so well aquainted. Unfortunately I could not find it. The closest thing to it that I was able to find was a page which demands logging in before sumbitting a ticket. The old form where we could easily and anonymously fire off a complaint about a problem with their software is gone. In it's place is a new site where you have to create an account (where of course you have to provide all sorts of personal information) and be logged in before you can "request customer support" and track your ticket.

"Login to your personalized ATI Customer Care center" my ass.

Hey ATI, I don't want "personalized ATI Customer Care Support" or to track a ticket. I just want to tell you what you screwed up now!
(Why doesn't the image scaling stay in the final post? It would have looked really neat the way it looks in the editor.)

There's definitely been some sort of policy change at ATI; there's been all sorts of terrible changes this past month and ATI is at at an all time low. If ever there was a time to consider NVidia it's now.

I'd add a poll to see how people feel about the new system but it doesn't seem to be possible to add one to an existing post (well maybe it is but I don't feel like hacking vBulletin right now). Maybe someone else will start a thread with a poll.
VID : ati (i don't like them anymore)
MB  : back to asus (my dear epox literally broke)
MON : crt (lcds are still too expensive)
MEM : ferro rings (honestly, i swear :p)
HD  : crayons, stone tablets (from WD)
SND : 8-tracks & violin
PSU : hand–crank & hamster wheel (homemade)
BOX : has a hole in the side, and a broken foot
OS  : 7 be

Last edited by Synetech : Apr 12, 2005 at 12:14 PM.
Synetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:34 PM   #2
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I kinda remember a name and email field in the CCF form
Did you not fill it out?

You must give them, phone number, email, name and country but the site is secure too so that info won't get out, and who cares really?

It's better because
-You can view tickets from last time
-They give you status of your ticket (open, technician, resolved etc)
-Your product details are entered in once to save you retyping
-They can set up searching and things related to you or your product which will be very useful

Don't knock it until you try it I think it's much better than the old, submit: what the hell happened to it, ccf form.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/privacy/index.html
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Synetech
Radeon R700

Oh I'm all for knowing how my report is being handled; the tracking is nice but the mandatory registration is bad because it will result in a large reduction in feedback.

With the previous system hundreds, thousands, or more people would submit reports which could then be profiled with statistics to easily figure out where they should concentrate their efforts. It was easy for them to see what the biggest problems were.

With this system there will be much fewer reports which will make things a lot worse off in the long run—and maybe the short term too.

Also, I am sick and tired of registering everywhere. I've lost track of all the damned places I've had to create accounts. I hate having to register just to post a single comment or do some other activity once every few blue moons. When are we going to have a nice single central registration database?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
Don't knock it until you try it I think it's much better than the old, submit: what the hell happened to it, ccf form.
I beg to disagree. Upon filing issues, it just sends an auto-reply of completely UNRELATED nature then auto-closes the ticket.

I submitted multiple, duplicatable crash/lockup bugs and got auto-replies on how to improve performance, then AUTO CLOSE.

I guess in a way it is a little better than the old ccf form... at least it lets you see immediately your logged error is going into the trashcan versus the implied fact that it is as the same bugs exist for release after release.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It will cut down on spam reports or those that are false. It will improve things in the long run with fewer but more concise reports and the problems will be solved quicker. I am not one to tell you to register for something you don't want to but registering takes only a few minutes.

But yes Sharkfood that autoclose thing is a bit of a worry, I was hoping for a more vaired reply like "Fix in next update", "Fix in later update", "Problem lies between chair and monitor" and so forth. It's still pretty new so it's possible that it may be improved more.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:33 AM   #6
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

None of the catalyst feedback ones get a personal reply, its just the way it works. They are looked at though so no need to worry
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:53 AM   #7
Synetech
Radeon R700

I know it's got it's advantages but registering is an electronic form of commitment and most people don't like that especially for infrequent things plus the fact that everyone and their dog are requiring it for everything (even the silliest, tinyest things) these days. It's getting out of hand and being misused all over the place; like the use of ".com" it's true use has gotten lost in the ignorance and the hype. Some technologies are "too cool" for their own good.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:30 AM   #8
reholli
Radeon R420

reholli is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synetech
I know it's got it's advantages but registering is an electronic form of commitment and most people don't like that especially for infrequent things plus the fact that everyone and their dog are requiring it for everything (even the silliest, tinyest things) these days. It's getting out of hand and being misused all over the place; like the use of ".com" it's true use has gotten lost in the ignorance and the hype. Some technologies are "too cool" for their own good.
What makes you think you can equate your own preferences with "most people"?

And the thread title you chose implies monetary cost...where's that?
reholli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:57 PM   #9
Synetech
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli
What makes you think you can equate your own preferences with "most people"?
Statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli
And the thread title you chose implies monetary cost...where's that?
Actually it only implies cost. The nature of the cost is inferred by you.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:53 PM   #10
Synetech
Radeon R700

Well I just checked and found that two days ago I recieved an automated response to the ticket I submitted. Here's a breakdown of this <great new, enhanced> support that ATI is providing:

The problem is that MMC 9.06 has a defect with the transparency slider in the mini window. It is hypersensitive, so that when you try to slide it, it goes to the top or bottom way too fast. The problem is not present in 9.03 and the volume slider works in both versions.

I described this bug to them in the ticket. I then recieved this:

ATI display drivers have an automatic installation routine. Before installing
ATI software ensure that you disable all back ground applications and that
you uninstall any previously installed display driver software.
If you are experiencing a problem installing ATI display drivers you may need
to thoroughly reinstall your display drivers. For full instructions visit: https://support.ati.com/...

How does that help? It does not. ATI's new system is no better than their old one. The only difference is that like someone said in a post somewhere around here, now you get brushed off personally. You actually get a useless response instead of no response at all.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:50 PM   #11
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

You didnt report the bug correctly, you need to pick CATALYST CREW Feedback as your category

When its reported properly you dont get any faqs or whatever as they dont give auto emails but they do monitor the emails and use them for detecting bugs etc
Old Apr 8, 2005, 01:08 AM   #12
Synetech
Radeon R700

Thanks spyre, I see it now (although I had to go in circles a couple of times). It's not the most user friendly portal (the wizard is just the same as the "classic" but one field at a time). I'll check out 9.06.01 to see if it's fixed but I still think the new system is pretty bad. I'd add a poll to this thread to see how others feel but you can only add polls to new threads.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:13 PM   #13
Synetech
Radeon R700

Okay, I've reported a few bugs the proper way now and it's even worse. Submitting a ticket through the other catagories at least give you contextual automated responses. Sending it to Catalyst Feedback gives you the same automated response no matter what sub-catagory you specify:

"Thank you for submitting your Catalyst Driver Feedback. We appreciate your participation
in helping us to improve our software products.

This program is intended to gather feedback for specific driver releases and
not to solicit regular support inquiries so there will be no additional response
from ATI unless further information is required."

Basically it's the same old system as before except now there will be fewer reports.