Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Need Verizon Droid phone recommendation

My old Razr finally died. I'm ready to move up to a Android phone. I use Verizon so I need to stick with one of their phones. I was checking out their website and realized there is a bunch of different versions of the Droid.

Droid
Droid 2
Droid 2 Global
Droid Incredible
Droid R2D2
Droid Pro
Droid X

I'm a phone noob. I was kind of leaning towards the Droid X, but could use some direction. I don't really care about fold out or slideout keyboards and I like the slim design.

Few questions I have for you guys:
Would I be foolish to get a certified preowned phone for roughly $50 less than the cost of new?
Should I be concerned that the Droid X is not "Global ready" or no "Quadband GSM/ 3G UMTS"? (whatever that is)
Are the same Droid apps available for all of these (Android OS, but is the hardware any different between models?)
Anything else I should know or be considering here?

Any recommendations? I need to order a phone today or tomorrow.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
My old Razr finally died. I'm ready to move up to a Android phone. I use Verizon so I need to stick with one of their phones. I was checking out their website and realized there is a bunch of different versions of the Droid.

Droid
Droid 2
Droid 2 Global
Droid Incredible
Droid R2D2
Droid Pro
Droid X

I'm a phone noob. I was kind of leaning towards the Droid X, but could use some direction. I don't really care about fold out or slideout keyboards and I like the slim design.

Few questions I have for you guys:
Would I be foolish to get a certified preowned phone for roughly $50 less than the cost of new?
Should I be concerned that the Droid X is not "Global ready" or no "Quadband GSM/ 3G UMTS"? (whatever that is)
Are the same Droid apps available for all of these (Android OS, but is the hardware any different between models?)

Any recommendations? I need to order a phone today or tomorrow.
Do you travel outside of the US? If not, then don't worry about global phones. The Droid X is a phenomenal phone, easily the best of the bunch, but also consider the Samsung Fascinate, it's a pretty great phone as well. I'd choose between one of those 2.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

In this order.

Droid Incredible
Droid X
Samsung Facinate (as the best screen S-AMOLED)
Droid 2

All phones have the latest sofware (Froyo 2.2) except the Facinate.

Not really a fan of the Motorola UI, but you can download differnt launchers to fix that issue.

If you can I'd go through Amazon.com wireless all the phones I listed are free.

If you are out of contract, start a new one and port your number over, when your phone comes cancel the old plan.

All are good to be honest. Just pick one

Last edited by shoman24v : Nov 21, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I prefer buying brand new electronics, I would spend the extra $50.

Quote:
Do you travel outside of the country? If no then don't worry about a "Global ready" phone.

Quote:
  • The Droid is the original model, don't buy it.
  • The Droid R2D2 is just a skinned Droid 2, while the Droid 2 Global is just a CDMA/GSM version of the Droid 2.
  • The Droid Pro is has the same hardware as teh Droid 2, but has it's keyboard configured like a BB bold.
  • The Droid X is slate device with a 4.3" screen, similiar to the HTC EVO (minus the 4G and kickstand)
  • Droid Incredible is basically the same as the Nexus One, same screen and processor.

Quote:
Verizon uses the name Droid on all of their Android phones, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.

Also the Samsung Fascinate is on Verizon and is a Galaxy S phone, it has a 4" screen, I have the Sprint version and love it. The Super AMOLED is absolutely gorgeous.

Basically if you don't want a physical keyboard look a the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate. If the 4.3" or 4" screens are to large for you then there is the Samsung Continuum with a 3.7" screen and a ticker screen at the bottom.
Debello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
In this order.

Droid Incredible
Droid X
Samsung Facinate (as the best screen S-AMOLED)
Droid 2

All phones have the latest sofware (Froyo 2.2) except the Facinate.

Not really a fan of the Motorola UI, but you can download differnt launchers to fix that issue.

If you can I'd go through Amazon.com wireless all the phones I listed are free.

If you are out of contract, start a new one and port your number over, when your phone comes cancel the old plan.

All are good to be honest. Just pick one
I'd put the Droid Incredible on the bottom... Unless you have a Sense fetish, it's not even as good of a performer as the Droid 2... Not to mention the Droid 2, being based on the Droid, is one of the most rugged and well-built phones in the bunch.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'd put the Droid Incredible on the bottom... Unless you have a Sense fetish, it's not even as good of a performer as the Droid 2... Not to mention the Droid 2, being based on the Droid, is one of the most rugged and well-built phones in the bunch.
I am running AOSP on my Incredible so I don't have Sense

It really comes down to what UI skin you like. Sense was oook, motoblur is ook too, but I prefer neither...

I had the Droid 2 for a short while. I really enjoyed my Incredible a lot more.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have had my Droid X for awhile now, love the phone. For me it came down between the Droid X & Incredible. The X had the better specs but I liked the Incredibles ui and thought the X moto blur ui was crap. I found a few sites read about Launcher Pro Plus, ADW and a few other launchers. I ended up getting the X loaded it with Launcher Pro Plus along with Beautiful Widgets and a few other awesome apps. Customized the phone just to my liking
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:31 PM   #8
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going with the Droid X. Played around with it for an hour now and so far loving it Its like rediscovering the intraweb. I don't want to make any phone calls, I just want to push buttons and watch the magic

Time to start reading up on customizing now