Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Moto Droid Pro announced.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/05/m...-pro-unveiled/

Quote:
Whoa -- we knew Motorola likes to get funky with the form factors, but the new Droid Pro on Verizon might be the strangest (and best) yet: it's a portrait device (the rumored Venus) with a BlackBerry-esque keyboard below the screen. It's not the Droid 2 World Edition we were expecting, but damn -- we're in love. We don't know much specs-wise apart from Android 2.2 with Blur and global roaming support in more than 220 countries, but we're digging for as much as we can, so stay tuned.

Update: Motorola's Sanjay Jha just formally announced the Droid Pro on stage, following the typical sizzle reel of the company's business partners praising the company's business leanings. It's going to have a 5 megapixel auto-focus camera, 3.1-inch display, 1GHz processor -- and a dual-mode CDMA/GSM chip for worldwide roaming. It'll be available in the first week of November. Follow the break for the press release.

This is what the BB Torch should have been.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

That guy doesn't look like a Todd Palminteri.

Ontopic, I never understood why people liked physical keys. They're the same size or smaller than the virtual keyboard and tend to be even less forgiving. Even worse if they take away from the overall screen area. Though I do like the curvature on the back though, interesting idea for ergonomics if it works in both portrait/landscape.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
That guy doesn't look like a Todd Palminteri.

Ontopic, I never understood why people liked physical keys. They're the same size or smaller than the virtual keyboard and tend to be even less forgiving. Even worse if they take away from the overall screen area. Though I do like the curvature on the back though, interesting idea for ergonomics if it works in both portrait/landscape.
I completely understand the want for physical keys. Until they make a screen capable of raising up where the keyboard is, and allowing for the pressing feeling of keys, I'm not going to use the on screen keyboard. Haptic feedback is NOT enough for me. Considering I can blind-type on the Droid's physical keyboard because I can feel where each key is, just like I can blind-type on a computer keyboard, I'd rather have physical. I guarantee blind-typing on an iPhone will never be as accurate as I am on the Droid.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I completely understand the want for physical keys. Until they make a screen capable of raising up where the keyboard is, and allowing for the pressing feeling of keys, I'm not going to use the on screen keyboard. Haptic feedback is NOT enough for me. Considering I can blind-type on the Droid's physical keyboard because I can feel where each key is, just like I can blind-type on a computer keyboard, I'd rather have physical. I guarantee blind-typing on an iPhone will never be as accurate as I am on the Droid.
With predictive correction, it's really not bad. I don't know how to type without looking at the keys anyways so meh

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
With predictive correction, it's really not bad. I don't know how to type without looking at the keys anyways so meh
I've been blind-typing since I was a kid It's second nature on my Droid.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:44 AM   #7
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I've been blind-typing since I was a kid It's second nature on my Droid.
you (yourself) are able to actually blind type on a droid? or is that some sort of joke ??

??? ...as typing on my droid 1 requires some concentration and effort
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Maybe he just has appropriately sized Asian hands.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
you (yourself) are able to actually blind type on a droid? or is that some sort of joke ??

??? ...as typing on my droid 1 requires some concentration and effort
I've had my Droid since December, I think I've got the hang of it by now
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:22 AM   #10
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

It's amusing to know that, speaking of blind-typing, Google recently purchased BlindType and I sense this showing up in future iterations of their Android OS to compliment the native keyboard.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Blackberry Torch wanna be? Why try to be a BB when true users won't ever be duped?

If I wanted an android with keyboard, 10x rather get this style...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:46 PM   #12
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

the keyboard looks exactly like the later gen bb keyboards, i loved the physical keyboard on the bold, i could blind type almost like i did on my pc with it, on the iphone i have to look at the keyboard and still miss a lot of words because of my weird fingers
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:00 PM   #13
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Now that i got good at swype I don't use the keyboard for typing anymore its actually slower then swype.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 02:17 PM   #14
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Nowadays I have immense amounts of trouble with physical keypads on mobile devices.

When using the Galaxy S I finally just reverted to using the on-screen keyboard since the physical keys just threw me off all of the time. I suppose it just comes down to whatever I am used to is what I will prefer to use.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:36 AM   #15
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
Nowadays I have immense amounts of trouble with physical keypads on mobile devices.

When using the Galaxy S I finally just reverted to using the on-screen keyboard since the physical keys just threw me off all of the time. I suppose it just comes down to whatever I am used to is what I will prefer to use.
I don't mind touchscreen KB for typing all that (on a phone, on iPad it sucks donkey balls compared to even crappy netbook), but the one reason why I really like to have physical KB is emulation. touchscreen gaming controls are very meh. iPhone games are built around them so they work fine, but putting any games emulator on iPhone or touchscreen only Android phones makes the games bassicaly unplayable.
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:55 AM   #16
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMartigan View Post
I don't mind touchscreen KB for typing all that (on a phone, on iPad it sucks donkey balls compared to even crappy netbook), but the one reason why I really like to have physical KB is emulation. touchscreen gaming controls are very meh. iPhone games are built around them so they work fine, but putting any games emulator on iPhone or touchscreen only Android phones makes the games bassicaly unplayable.
Yeah, I don't tend to play emulators much anymore, but I agree that it is a problem for those that do. At least my PSP is there if I get the urge to play an action based snes game or something, though tbh, I am pretty loathe to carry any devices other than or larger than my iPhone.

I still haven't quite figured out the 3DS and PSP2 situations yet. I see myself not really treating those as mobile devices and just playing them at home.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:09 AM   #17
MakaylaQ

MakaylaQ is still being judged by the masses

I am definitely getting one of this! I love this phone! For every person that loves their Blackberry however wants an Android, the Droid Pro could possibly be for you. Built for the Android operating system, the Droid Pro is also something else. A built-in keyboard and enterprise possibilities make it feel more like a Blackberry. The Droid Pro is positioned to give RIM a run for its money. It may or may not actually put the Blackberry bankrupt, though.
MakaylaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

The Droid Pro looks good to me. Remember that BlackBerry is still the preferred smartphone for most businesses, and this phone presents an easy transition into Android.

There are many folks (myself included) who insist on physical keyboards. It just feels more natural to us I think.

Finally, the advantage of a keyboard like this instead of a landscape slider is that only one hand is required. Useful for quick emails while you're in meetings.

It makes sense to call it the Droid Pro... it's intended audience are corporate professionals.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote