Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
complete

complete is still being judged by the masses

Default Virtualization

Virtual PC does not work without hardware virtualization. If I run Windows Virtual PC and click to “Create Virtual Machine” I get an error. The error message has a link which takes me to where I can download and run the Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool. When I run this tool, I am warned that the hardware-assisted virtualization is not enabled and it give me another link.

This takes me to an intranet page with this warning:

Although OEMs have been shipping hardware virtualization in PCs for three years, hardware virtualization is not available in all PCs—so even if your PC is new, it may not have hardware virtualization.

And this seems to be the case with this machine. After doing the steps go into the BIOS during startup, I did not find any mention in the BIOS settings for selecting the Virtualization Technology.

The computer I am using is a HP COMPAQ DC 7800. What computers have Virtulaization and which ones do not? Is there a list somewhere?
complete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:56 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

CPU's that feature Virtualization hardware assist are denoted AMD-V or Intel-VT, for the processor. IOMMU virtualization is also now becoming a hardware feature, although no client hypervisors support it.

Your HP might have a capable processor, you can look up the features on the Intel processor spec finder.

Look in your BIOS for Intel-VT or similar option, to be enabled. Make sure you've got the latest BIOS from HP's site.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:56 PM   #3
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you're running windows 7 and trying to run the XP compatibility mode, the 'step 4' on their site lists a hotfix (included with SP1 apparently) which is supposed to let you run XP Mode on a CPU that doesn't support VT.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Hardware virtualization is determined by the CPU - so what CPU do you have.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:50 AM   #4
theevilsharpie
Radeon R520

theevilsharpie is still being judged by the masses

The dc7800 series should support Intel VT. On their business PC's, HP tends to put that feature in the security section of their BIOS menu.
theevilsharpie is offline   Reply With Quote