Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber
Default Game Collecting

Any console game collectors here?

I've recently started collecting and playing the older games again now that my schedule is clearing up as we get closer to the colder months. While searching for specific games, I'm seeing a lot of questionable stuff and there appears to be a LOT of fakes out there since I was buying these a LONG time ago.

Do any of you have resources for legit cartridges?

Does anyone know if DKOldies verifies that their games are original?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:30 PM   #2
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Console King

I watch MetalJesusRocks youtube channel> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF...FCo_AchSpxwyrg

they just put one up on how to spot Nintendo fakes the other day...
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
I watch MetalJesusRocks youtube channel> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF...FCo_AchSpxwyrg

they just put one up on how to spot Nintendo fakes the other day...
Thanks!

I've read a lot on how to spot the fakes, so hopefully I don't ever run into that. But, I'd really like to avoid having to deal with it altogether.

I sent an email to DKOldies and talked with them a bit. They guarantee everything they sell is 100% original, no reproductions or counterfeits. Will probably buy from them unless I can verify something is original on my own in person before buying.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 28, 2016, 03:45 AM   #4
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

China and Russia make tons of fake or reproduction cartridges and CD-ROMs...

Some ppl in North America also do however the bastards have high asking prices nearly matching the price of what the game sells for.

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpgl01brpo It'll Blow!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqrAKNv-Z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah I guess I would consider myself a retro game collector. You may remember my thread from last month about restoring my NES to perfect working order.

I have been focusing mostly on the NES and SNES in recent years, and apparently lots of other folks have too as the prices are out of control. Some of the more popular games in loose cart form are fetching current AAA game pricing. Its insane, and very frustrating if you just want the games to play them.

As for spotting repro/bootlegs, yeah it can be tricky especially when looking at Ebay listings which is your biggest resource for retro games. I recently noticed my Final Fantasy VI on GBA was a repro. You will just learn how to recognize a fake after enough time of looking at listings on Ebay. Tell tale signs are usually in the label not fitting perfectly straight, not having the right coloring and plastic, and in situations like with SNES carts they will use plastic screws and the back will be missing the Nintendo logo. Stuff like that. Also, its usually the more expensive games that get faked. Like your Dracula X, or Earthbound carts. If you ever come across something you are unsure of you can ask folks over at the NintendoAge forums.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:48 AM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Thanks, bought my first game a couple weeks ago to start adding to the collection of games I originally bought when the consoles were actually released. Bought Super Mario All Stars for SNES from DKOldies. Will probably buy most of the stuff through them just to avoid the hassle of eliminating reproductions.

Working through the Mario Games right now when I get the chance to play. Super Mario Bros was cake...so much easier than I remember when I was young. Cranked through every level, and whipped through worlds 1 through 7 in about 1hr15min. World 8 took a little longer, but had the game beat in less than 2 hours. Lost Levels is ridiculous, but fun. Not a big fan of Mario 2, but slowly slogging through it.

Fairly set on purchasing Bubble Bobble and Punch Out next month, possibly along with Super C. All for NES. Then, either all of the Ninja Gaiden or a Double Dragon games are next on the radar.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:22 PM   #7
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Glad you're getting back into it! There's really nothing like the old retro games. Something about putting a physical game cart into a console and playing it like the old days just can't be replicated by playing with emulators, and I am often dumbfounded at how much more fun I still have with these old classics compared to the modern games that are for the most part all filler no killer.

Yeah Lost Levels is tough. It was originally intended to be the actual Super Mario Bros 2 but Nintendo ultimately decided it was too difficult for western gamers to handle. The Super Mario 2 that we actually got is based on a completely different game - Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic. Look it up some time its interesting to see how similar they are.

As for worrying about repros, like I said its really only risky when you're trying to acquire the more expensive games, and even then the tell tale signs to look out for are well documented. Worst case, Ebay buyers are protected 100% these days. The seller takes all the risk. You will end up easily paying double in most cases buying from that DKOldies website, as opposed to Ebay.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 03:00 PM   #8
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

I bought up several repros over the last year. Mostly for very expensive games, like Little Samson and the like. I try to buy them in the red cart, so they're properly differentiated. People who try to pass off counterfeit games as real deserve a special place in hell.

I have a pretty sizable collection these days, but I'm not really a "Collector"... I don't keep boxes or manuals, etc., and I don't mind having repros on my shelf, as long as it's easy to tell which is a repro and which is authentic.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I bought up several repros over the last year. Mostly for very expensive games, like Little Samson and the like. I try to buy them in the red cart, so they're properly differentiated. People who try to pass off counterfeit games as real deserve a special place in hell.

I have a pretty sizable collection these days, but I'm not really a "Collector"... I don't keep boxes or manuals, etc., and I don't mind having repros on my shelf, as long as it's easy to tell which is a repro and which is authentic.
I'm pretty much of the same mind, except I prefer to have all official releases. Repros just kill the magic of the nostalgia a bit for me. Way I see it if I'm going to consider repros, I might as well just play on an emulator.

I do have a few complete in box games, but I have been making the move to sell them off for the profits to just buy more loose carts of the games I still want. Having the original boxes is cool but I've found they are a pain to keep in nice condition over the years unless you commit to shelf them and never lay a finger on them. I'm more a player than a collector so I'd rather just have the loose game to play.

My next task is I am going to build a custom wall mounted shelf to display all my games. I have too many now and no more existing shelf space. A lot of my games are just sitting in cardboard boxes because I have no place to put them.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:48 AM   #10
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm pretty much of the same mind, except I prefer to have all official releases. Repros just kill the magic of the nostalgia a bit for me. Way I see it if I'm going to consider repros, I might as well just play on an emulator.

I do have a few complete in box games, but I have been making the move to sell them off for the profits to just buy more loose carts of the games I still want. Having the original boxes is cool but I've found they are a pain to keep in nice condition over the years unless you commit to shelf them and never lay a finger on them. I'm more a player than a collector so I'd rather just have the loose game to play.

My next task is I am going to build a custom wall mounted shelf to display all my games. I have too many now and no more existing shelf space. A lot of my games are just sitting in cardboard boxes because I have no place to put them.
One thing I've noticed with my friends is that whether someone collects boxes and manuals is partially based on whether they bought new games as a kid. Lots of people have this experience where they buy a game from the store, open it and read through the manual in the car on the way home, and savor the anticipation... this becomes a major part of the experience for them.

My family was too poor to buy new consoles or games. We got an NES from a friend who had upgraded to an SNES. The box he gave us had a dozen loose games. This was pretty typical for how we acquired consoles and games, so I don't have much nostalgia for boxes and manuals.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
One thing I've noticed with my friends is that whether someone collects boxes and manuals is partially based on whether they bought new games as a kid. Lots of people have this experience where they buy a game from the store, open it and read through the manual in the car on the way home, and savor the anticipation... this becomes a major part of the experience for them.

My family was too poor to buy new consoles or games. We got an NES from a friend who had upgraded to an SNES. The box he gave us had a dozen loose games. This was pretty typical for how we acquired consoles and games, so I don't have much nostalgia for boxes and manuals.
You can count me out of that demographic I guess then. I actually did buy most of my games as a kid new at retail, with saved up allowance or chore earned money, or got them new as birthday/holiday gifts. I just simply didn't care enough to save the boxes in most situations. I only did in the later years when I started to think maybe they would be collectible someday.

I honestly don't really regret it though, probably due to the fact I am more a game player than game collector and I don't think I will ever sell them for the most part. The games themselves are what I really care about, and I only seek out and acquire the ones I am actually interested in playing. So many collectors out there these days scooping up every piece of retro game item to resell for profit or display as a museum in their house.

In the years 1985 to the mid 90's when they were the current video games of the day I amassed about 100 NES/SNES/N64 games, along with some SEGA stuff thrown in the mix. Now I have a bit more than that of course, since getting back into it in the past few years. My goal is basically just to get my hands on all the rest of the games I always wanted as a kid, but never managed to get for whatever reason. Its fun, but at times frustrating as the prices have gotten pretty damn out of control compared to what they were 5-10 years ago, and there's a lot of scumbags and scammers out there.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:31 AM   #12
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:

I think that sounds pretty accurate. We got all the consoles as christmas presents, but never really got that many games. We had a video game rental place a couple blocks away called Rapid Fire. I'm fairly certain my brother and I were the primary reason they managed to stay open as long as they did.

I have a grand total of 6 NES games and 12 SNES from when I was a kid. After that, I wanted a Nintendo 64...so I busted my ass with 2 paper routes and detassled corn on a farm for a summer. Took that money and bought myself a shiny new Nintendo 64 after 2 months. After that, I asked for games for christmas and bought what I could with my paper route and then various jobs once I was old enough. I have 15 N64 games, all bought back in the day.

Still have the original GameBoy, which I fired up a few weeks back and it still works. No idea how I was able to play it back then, since I can barely even see the screen now. It's damn near unplayable. Old man eyes??

Just beat all of Lost Levels tonight (all 13 worlds!) and started on Mario Bros 3. Now that the schedule is opening up a bit as winter gets closer, the retro games will be a nice time filler.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 01:48 PM   #13
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Sell the orginal Game Boy for a healthy profit and buy a Game Boy Advance SP. Its backwards compatible with the original GB games plus the screen is color and back lit. Just make sure to get the SP version as I don't think any of the Nintendo DS versions play the original GB games.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:07 PM   #14
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Sell the orginal Game Boy for a healthy profit and buy a Game Boy Advance SP. Its backwards compatible with the original GB games plus the screen is color and back lit. Just make sure to get the SP version as I don't think any of the Nintendo DS versions play the original GB games.
Look for the ags-101 model, as that one has the backlit screen. the ags-001 just has a front-lit screen... still loads better than no light at all.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:18 AM   #15
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I have a regular DS and a black Advance SP as well. Haven't been able to find the silver original DS, but it's around here somewhere. Looks like my SP is a USG-001? No idea how it compares to the models listed by Subcog.

I'd like to get one of the newer 3DS XL's, but not sure how often I'd use it. The Advance SP is tiny in my hands and not easy to play.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:21 AM   #16
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

meteor, wanna buy my vintage copy of baseball stars lol?
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
meteor, wanna buy my vintage copy of baseball stars lol?
Thanks but I've got that one. I'd be interested if it was the baseball stars 2 by Romstar. Pretty much the same great game with some tweaks and enhancements.

What else do you have that you're willing to part with?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 07:45 PM   #18
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

OverclockN does your GBA SP play original GB games?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:49 PM   #19
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
OverclockN does your GBA SP play original GB games?
Had it confused with the DS Lite I took pictures of. I have a blue advance SP, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have the original box and packaging, but the actual handheld is nowhere to be found.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:58 PM   #20
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Had it confused with the DS Lite I took pictures of. I have a blue advance SP, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have the original box and packaging, but the actual handheld is nowhere to be found.
OK I understand now. Yeah it kind of stinks the DS doesn't play original GB games. Hope you find your SP.

Personally I don't care much for the handhelds anymore. Just no real opportunities to use them. Only time i can game is when I'm home and there I'd rather just play the consoles. Gave my handhelds to my son.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 09:08 PM   #21
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
OK I understand now. Yeah it kind of stinks the DS doesn't play original GB games. Hope you find your SP.

Personally I don't care much for the handhelds anymore. Just no real opportunities to use them. Only time i can game is when I'm home and there I'd rather just play the consoles. Gave my handhelds to my son.
I agree. I've only recently taken them out of storage. The 3DS XL certainly looks tempting, but it goes back to what you said...no idea when I would actually play the thing.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:42 AM   #22
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Thanks but I've got that one. I'd be interested if it was the baseball stars 2 by Romstar. Pretty much the same great game with some tweaks and enhancements.

What else do you have that you're willing to part with?
Im hoarding my leftovers lol. I still have final fantasy 1, dragon quest
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 08:24 AM   #23
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Im hoarding my leftovers lol. I still have final fantasy 1, dragon quest
I hear you. I'm not really selling any of mine either. Most of the good must have games have become rare commodities and with all the collectors emerging in the last handful of years they will someday be completely gone and their prices will shoot up even more than they already have. I am curious to see what the release of the NES Classic will do to prices of the original physical games.

I've got a short list of the remaining titles I am trying to acquire. Hopefully I can get them all before prices really get out of control.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 02:59 PM   #24
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

I went through a phase of buying games that were nostalgic to me, games that I owned or played as a kid. A few years ago I sold it all and I don't really have any regrets. It was just sitting there unplayed and I didn't want to have to buy a large CRT TV like I had originally planned.

My focus was on complete-in-box games. The Sega Genesis CIB games are pretty affordable, but once you got into Nintendo land it got very expensive. Thankfully, the Genesis is my favorite console.

Here's what I had for Genesis

Unrelated to Consoles, but I have been starting a collection of Steelbooks for PC games, new & old.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 03:59 PM   #25
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I think complete in box games is a tough focus to have when collecting. I am not serious enough to go that route with it. Not only can it be really expensive depending on the platform, but its just plain tough to find what you're looking for especially when getting into the more rare titles, and if you are wanting the best condition.

The trick as you eluded to is to go with an affordable and less sought after platform. I think right now the original Xbox is a good example of a platform that's easy to collect for because its just not very hot with collectors at the moment. Most of the games in the Xbox library can be had for less than $5 a piece and that's even for the better games on the platform.

Personally though I am not going to focus on collecting a specific platform just because its easy to obtain. I want what I want, and that's the stuff that is sentimental and nostalgic to me. Unfortunately that happens to be the NES/SNES/N64 which is the hot stuff everyone wants. Due to that, I wont bother trying to complete the library, or get everything complete in box and great condition. I just want the games I have a personal connection to in some form from my childhood, be it games I used to play but either never owned or lost along the way, or just games I always wanted.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:24 PM   #26
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I think complete in box games is a tough focus to have when collecting. I am not serious enough to go that route with it. Not only can it be really expensive depending on the platform, but its just plain tough to find what you're looking for especially when getting into the more rare titles, and if you are wanting the best condition.

The trick as you eluded to is to go with an affordable and less sought after platform. I think right now the original Xbox is a good example of a platform that's easy to collect for because its just not very hot with collectors at the moment. Most of the games in the Xbox library can be had for less than $5 a piece and that's even for the better games on the platform.

Personally though I am not going to focus on collecting a specific platform just because its easy to obtain. I want what I want, and that's the stuff that is sentimental and nostalgic to me. Unfortunately that happens to be the NES/SNES/N64 which is the hot stuff everyone wants. Due to that, I wont bother trying to complete the library, or get everything complete in box and great condition. I just want the games I have a personal connection to in some form from my childhood, be it games I used to play but either never owned or lost along the way, or just games I always wanted.
You know, I eventually discarded the boxes and manuals that I had. They end up becoming just another layer between me and my games. I found that I was less likely to play a game if I had to open the box and get it out, and then put it away after. I really prefer just to have my carts on the shelf.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Oct 3, 2016, 09:53 PM   #27
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I definitely get the box thing, it's tough and incredibly expensive to find everything with a box. Then, to hunt around for good quality loose boxes and manuals by themselves if needed.

I'd really like to get the boxes and manuals only for my favorite franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Otherwise, I'll likely not try to find the boxes unless I come across a deal I can't refuse.

Quote:
Unrelated to Consoles, but I have been starting a collection of Steelbooks for PC games, new & old.
What are Steelbooks?

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 3, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2016, 09:35 AM   #28
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
You know, I eventually discarded the boxes and manuals that I had. They end up becoming just another layer between me and my games. I found that I was less likely to play a game if I had to open the box and get it out, and then put it away after. I really prefer just to have my carts on the shelf.
I agree fully. Like I said earlier in the thread, I am more a gamer than a collector. I just want the games to play them, and not too interested in the cool looking museum in my house display factor. That, and the boxes are just tough to keep in good condition. You have to go out and also buy those clear protective cases for them and that just inflates the overall cost even more.

I actually only have 3 more CIB NES games and I just completed a trade transaction for one of them last night. Dragon Warrior CIB for Kung Fu, Ghosts N Goblins, and RC Pro AM loose carts. Three more titles I had as a kid but lost, regained again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
What are Steelbooks?
These kinds of cases:

Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:59 AM   #29
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Got overwhelmed on where I wanted to start on the games, so I'm focusing on finding the best deals on my childhood favorites only. Started with N64, and just bought Body Harvest. Trying to find a great deal on Blast Corps next, and probably Killer Instinct Gold after that.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:18 AM   #30
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

N64 prices are still pretty reasonable, so its good to focus on that platform right now.

This year is the console's 20th anniversary so I was wondering if it would spike prices but so far not really. I think most people still just want NES/SNES for the most part. Maybe in another 5-10 years when people who started with the N64 are well into their 30's and want to rebuy then the prices will move.

Maybe the N64 was just not a very popular console overall for various reasons, and its affected its collectibility. Sometimes it has an opposite effect I guess.