Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:27 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This might be a bit off-topic, but it comes to mind after seeing all these 10/10 reviews coming out for this game, and most of them comparing it to OOT.

Why is OOT considered the pinnacle of the series (at least until now)? Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are very obviously (to me) better games that improve on OOT without taking steps back. They have more to explore, the gameplay is tighter, the characters are more expressive, etc.

Are people simply comparing it to other games of its era when they make this assessment? It was a 10/10 game for its time, sure. But later games in the series are more fun to play, feel more immersive, and don't have the wonky camera.

Maybe I'm just a literalist, and others aren't?
OoT came before Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and a lot of people consider something that came before to automatically have the edge in those arguments. Plus there's the nostalgia factor which is huge for a lot of people. That would be my guess.

Going even further with it, I actually think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game overall, but my favorite is the original first game on the NES.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:33 AM   #182
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
OoT came before Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and a lot of people consider something that came before to automatically have the edge in those arguments. Plus there's the nostalgia factor which is huge for a lot of people. That would be my guess.

Going even further with it, I actually think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game overall, but my favorite is the original first game on the NES.
Same my fav was a link to the past... and a link between worlds later on cause it was pretty much the same stuff.

I missed out on pretty much all the 3d Zeldas though cause I havent bought a Nintendo system since like the Nintendo 64 days. Hopefully Nintendo will release some of the older Zelda games on the switch. That will make it so much more worth getting. I definitely want to give Wind Waker a go.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:37 AM   #183
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Nintendo really should make switch editions of the good wii u stuff.

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to buy wind waker hd and skyward sword hd.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:38 AM   #184
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Same my fav was a link to the past... and a link between worlds later on cause it was pretty much the same stuff.

I missed out on pretty much all the 3d Zeldas though cause I havent bought a Nintendo system since like the Nintendo 64 days. Hopefully Nintendo will release some of the older Zelda games on the switch. That will make it so much more worth getting. I definitely want to give Wind Waker a go.
I'm sure they will be re-released in some form many, many more times.

I just recently replayed Wind Waker on the Gamecube, and playing Twilight Princess right now. Wind Waker is a wonderful little game but definitely a bit on the easy side, and the last 5 hours or so are just padding to make the game longer. My thinking is they couldn't finish everything they wanted to include by release time so just threw in a lot of repetitive busy work towards the end. Definitely worth playing though, and especially the HD version which is a huge improvement.

Twilight Princess is great and worth playing also. I've never played Skyward Sword though. I've avoided it because I never thought I'd like using motion controls for the whole game, but I may eventually play it just because I want to play every mainline Zelda game.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:40 AM   #185
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Yeah, I skipped the games cause I didnt have the system but to never play them would be a disservice to myself. Zelda games are the pinnacle of what Nintendo can do. I will definitely get every Zelda game they re-release on the switch. Hopefully they will all come.

Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:40 AM   #186
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It is a shame that the definite version of the n64 zelda games are on a platform with ghastly IQ.(the 3ds)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:48 AM   #187
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It is a shame that the definite version of the n64 zelda games are on a platform with ghastly IQ.(the 3ds)
I actually don't even know what the improvements are on the 3DS version.

What about the Master Quest version that came as a bonus with Wind Waker pre-orders on Gamecube? I'm wondering if that is basically the same content?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:51 AM   #188
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

This game seems to have a great sense of wonder and freedom but looks like someone vomited on the screen. Maybe I will play this on the emulator.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:52 AM   #189
Mangler
PC

Quote:
They have way better graphics and runs at 30 fps instead of 20.

http://kotaku.com/5793800/so-how-muc...ok-on-the-3ds/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:54 AM   #190
logical
What is my purpose?

Does Nintendo usually lock things like animation at 30fps? Is it possible to get a 60fps version of Wind Waker? Do the emulators run Wii games at 60fps?

Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:02 AM   #191
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
They have way better graphics and runs at 30 fps instead of 20.

http://kotaku.com/5793800/so-how-muc...ok-on-the-3ds/
Wow I never knew they gave the graphics such an overhaul. I'm not a handheld gamer so I wont play it anyways, but nice to know if they re-release it later on it will probably look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Does Nintendo usually lock things like animation at 30fps? Is it possible to get a 60fps version of Wind Waker? Do the emulators run Wii games at 60fps?
Wind Waker HD is 30 fps, with some dips to 20 fps at times. I have no clue about Wii emulation.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:44 AM   #192
Mangler
PC

Is there still a video embargo on zelda?

It's odd that digital foundry has not put out anything on the performance of the switch/wii u version.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:04 AM   #193
logical
What is my purpose?

Maybe they are waiting for the official release date to come and go as respect to nintendo cause they know them frames are not where they should be.

Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:51 AM   #194
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Is there still a video embargo on zelda?

It's odd that digital foundry has not put out anything on the performance of the switch/wii u version.
Giantbomb put up a huge quicklook.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:23 PM   #195
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Bleh, Everything that is out there appears to be only showing the switch version, I want a review comparing the 2. There are 13 million WiiU consoles out there, some of us want to know.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:33 PM   #196
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

What about the Master Quest version that came as a bonus with Wind Waker pre-orders on Gamecube? I'm wondering if that is basically the same content?
OoT has some better textures and the character models are improved, MM improves them a bit further.

I believe Master Quest are straight ports in regards to graphics
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:14 PM   #197
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Bleh, Everything that is out there appears to be only showing the switch version, I want a review comparing the 2. There are 13 million WiiU consoles out there, some of us want to know.
I am getting the Wii U version tomorrow. I'll be posting impressions through the weekend.

Also, didn't Mangler post some Wii U version gameplay footage videos on the previous page? I didn't watch because of spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
OoT has some better textures and the character models are improved, MM improves them a bit further.

I believe Master Quest are straight ports in regards to graphics
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:18 PM   #198
Mangler
PC

The videos I posted are just from the beginning of the game, so who knows if there are any other framerate killers hiding out there.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:19 PM   #199
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Is it uncommon for Nintendo to release performance improvement patches on Wii U?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:23 PM   #200
Mangler
PC

I don't think so, but most of their wii u titles have not really suffered from many framerate drops.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:25 PM   #201
Nascar24

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I am getting the Wii U version tomorrow. I'll be posting impressions through the weekend.

Also, didn't Mangler post some Wii U version gameplay footage videos on the previous page? I didn't watch because of spoilers.

I wanted some in depth ANALysis!
I should be getting my WiiU version tomorrow as well.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:40 PM   #202
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Don't a lot of games drop frames? I remember GTA 4 on the 360 would chug down pretty bad if a lot was going on. There seems to be people who are acting like the occasional drop to 24ish FPS is a game breaker.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:47 PM   #203
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Janitor View Post
Don't a lot of games drop frames? I remember GTA 4 on the 360 would chug down pretty bad if a lot was going on. There seems to be people who are acting like the occasional drop to 24ish FPS is a game breaker.
Reviewers didn't seem to be bothered by it and the Switch has some of the same issues that the WiiU probably does when they run the Switch in TV 900P mode from the video I saw on one of the reviews.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 02:54 PM   #204
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I'm not too concerned about the framerate. I already know what I'm dealing with here, a 30 fps console game. As long as it stays above 20 fps, and doesn't become a slide show in heavy combat it should be fine and hardly noticeable given its a 3rd person action game and not some twitch first person shooter on PC.

Of course I wish it was 60 fps solid, but its Zelda and I'll play it any way I have to.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 03:30 PM   #205
clerick
tfw

clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Framerate on the wiiu is atrocious and drops a lot if anything is going on (or if youre in an area and looking somewhere with stuff, boom drops), but the game is too fun to put down. Wish CEMU had this working though, would love to play this at a stable 30 or 60 fps in 1440p.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 03:45 PM   #206
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick View Post
Framerate on the wiiu is atrocious and drops a lot if anything is going on (or if youre in an area and looking somewhere with stuff, boom drops), but the game is too fun to put down. Wish CEMU had this working though, would love to play this at a stable 30 or 60 fps in 1440p.
It looks fine from watching Manglers videos.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 03:56 PM   #207
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick View Post
Where are you getting this info? the videos that were posted here dont look that way. Looked on par with how the Switch was playing in TV mode.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 03:59 PM   #208
Mangler
PC

He's actually playing the game, and keep in mind that those videos are all from the opening area, **** might hit the fan elsewhere.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 07:27 PM   #209
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Can't even preload on the Wii U? What is this, 1995?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 07:45 PM   #210
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Can't even preload on the Wii U? What is this, 1995?
For Nintendo it is and it isn't improving with the switch either.