Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 19, 2017, 03:56 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

i'll probably hold off on the switch, and just get the game for the wii-u. just not enough titles that would interest me are in the immediate future pipeline.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2017, 04:27 PM   #152
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Launch lineup sucks, with the main game being a WiiU port.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2017, 04:45 PM   #153
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
i'll probably hold off on the switch, and just get the game for the wii-u. just not enough titles that would interest me are in the immediate future pipeline.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:12 PM   #154
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's looking more and more likely that I have to settle for the wii u version.

I guess I could also just play horizon instead and wait until you can easily get a switch+zelda, but that would be the reasonable thing to do, and I don't do reasonable.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 02:19 PM   #155
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It looks like zelda is smoother in the handheld mode.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 03:00 PM   #156
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

You dont say? A lower resolution runs at a higher frame rate in a demanding area?! How did they ever figure it out???

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 03:04 PM   #157
Mangler
PC

Well, it's not like the console is as powerful in the handheld mode, so one would have hoped that they had optimized the docked mode to run the same as the handheld mode.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 03:19 PM   #158
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Did Nintendo ever give stats on the percentage of power being used while not in docked mode?

Old Feb 24, 2017, 03:29 PM   #159
Mangler
PC

The cpu runs at the same clock, the gpu runs at 307,2mhz in handheld mode, and 768mhz while docked.

Quote:
Where Switch remains consistent is in CPU power - the cores run at 1020MHz regardless of whether the machine is docked or undocked. This ensures that running game logic won't be compromised while gaming on the go: the game simulation itself will remain entirely consistent. The machine's embedded memory controller runs at 1600MHz while docked (on par with a standard Tegra X1), but the default power mode undocked sees this drop to 1331MHz. However, developers can opt to retain full memory bandwidth in their titles should they choose to do so.

As things stand, CPU clocks are halved compared to the standard Tegra X1, but it's the GPU aspect of the equation that will prove more controversial. Even while docked, Switch doesn't run at Tegra X1's full potential. Clock-speeds are locked here at 768MHz, considerably lower than the 1GHz found in Shield Android TV, but the big surprise from our perspective was the extent to which Nintendo has down-clocked the GPU to hit its thermal and battery life targets. That's not a typo: it really is 307.2MHz - meaning that in portable mode, Switch runs at exactly 40 per cent of the clock-speed of the fully docked device. And yes, the table below does indeed confirm that developers can choose to hobble Switch performance when plugged in to match the handheld profile should they so choose.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-spec-analysis
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:33 PM   #160
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post

It looks like zelda is smoother in the handheld mode.
People are going to have a field day with the Wii-U version of it now lol.
I'm guessing its going to run pretty similar to the TV mode on switch, but with more jaggies.

I'm not surprised mother*********!!
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:01 PM   #161
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Man this game is ugly. That LOD is Bethesda Engine bad.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:52 PM   #162
Nascar24

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
People are going to have a field day with the Wii-U version of it now lol.
I'm guessing its going to run pretty similar to the TV mode on switch, but with more jaggies.

I'm not surprised mother*********!!
We shall see, game was written for the WiiU, so quite possibly not as far as how it runs. The switch version is just a port.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 03:09 AM   #163
Mangler
PC

I don't think nintendo is dumb enough to ship zelda in a state where the less powerful system runs it better.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:46 AM   #164
Mangler
PC

Quote:
All right I'll read it.

I get the impression it is incredibly dense, you'll roam around and get distracted by dozens of different things "an absolute, and unremitting pleasure to get lost in". There's over 100 shrines and they are multi purpose. The world feels well realised despite game like speed potions.

The main quest set up sounds quite fun. Four beasts must be exorcised, with a couple sub missions a final dungeon and a boss fight for each. I imagine that each beasts curse will change the lands each one resides in so that's quite an interesting prospect. I wonder if you can return to new areas once the curse has been lifted and get some new secrets? That's just speculation on my part. They say if you focus on just the main quest you're looking at about 20 hours but I think the real draw is the open world stuff.

In terms of introduction you'll have all the tools you need after playing 4 shrines (opening hour). Defeating beasts will net you RPG like stat boosts and a new power with a big cool down that breaks the game in ways they wouldn't spoil.

Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects. Rarely when it matters. Nuts and bolts combat is a little unpredictable at times but that encourages you to the many other tools and powers at your disposal.

Really sounds like my cup of tea, especially with the way they are doling out equipment that breaks and most abilities up front. If you're struggling just turn around and go do something else. Sounds like a real treat.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...513&page=8#380

Sounds like I will avoid the wii u version even if I can't get my hands on a switch day one, at least if digital foundry can back those claims up with hard facts.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 06:12 AM   #165
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have read on reddit that in retail, the Switch version is smooth.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:56 PM   #166
Nascar24

So finally some word on the WiiU version, as long as it isn't an all the time thing which it doesn't sound like it is, that review gave the game a 10/10 and didn't seem very bothered by the drop in frames at times on the WiiU version.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:58 PM   #167
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...513&page=8#380

Sounds like I will avoid the wii u version even if I can't get my hands on a switch day one, at least if digital foundry can back those claims up with hard facts.
That's too bad, and I definitely look forward to Digital Foundry's analysis of (hopefully) both verisons to confirm/refute this report.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:03 PM   #168
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

I'm not sure how anyone would have expected good performance from the WiiU version. Good looking open world games, and even not so good looking open world games run at low fps or have other issues on WiiU. See e.g. Lego City: Undercover and Xenoblade Chronicles X. There's no magical non-used power hidden in the system that only Nintendo itself can harness
Old Feb 26, 2017, 04:01 AM   #169
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

also heard the switch version has superior draw distances.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2017, 09:33 AM   #170
Mangler
PC

Well, looks like I will not be able to secure a switch this week, I guess I better prepare myself by playing some bloodborne so I can stomach the performance of the wii u version.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 09:39 AM   #171
logical
What is my purpose?

Why not just wait for a switch? Im sure you have other stuff to play in the mean time?

You could stand in line during a midnight release at some big box to get it

Old Feb 28, 2017, 09:40 AM   #172
clerick
tfw

clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

It leaked early if you have a softmodded wiiu.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2017, 02:54 PM   #173
Mangler
PC

The wii u version.

I guess I can live with that kind of performance if I cannot find a switch locally on friday.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 03:08 PM   #174
Nascar24

Looks and runs pretty dam good to me on the WiiU.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:37 AM   #175
Mangler
PC

More wii u gameplay.

There are some instances where the framerate does tank, but for the most parts the game seems to run decently.

Seems like you want to avoid playing with fire in the wii u version.

No rain in any of these vids though, so I guess the risk that the game runs like garbage under those conditions still exists.

Last edited by Mangler : Mar 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 02:35 PM   #176
clerick
tfw

clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'clerick once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Playing it, I haven't enjoyed a Zelda this much since oot
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2017, 06:36 PM   #177
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
I'm not sure how anyone would have expected good performance from the WiiU version. Good looking open world games, and even not so good looking open world games run at low fps or have other issues on WiiU. See e.g. Lego City: Undercover and Xenoblade Chronicles X. There's no magical non-used power hidden in the system that only Nintendo itself can harness
After seeing a quick preview of the Switch running it at 900P on the big screen it also suffers the same performance problems as I'm sure the WiiU does in certain circumstances. At this point not at all impressed with the switch as a Home console. Nice Hand held but surly not a home console.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 08:57 AM   #178
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

This might be a bit off-topic, but it comes to mind after seeing all these 10/10 reviews coming out for this game, and most of them comparing it to OOT.

Why is OOT considered the pinnacle of the series (at least until now)? Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are very obviously (to me) better games that improve on OOT without taking steps back. They have more to explore, the gameplay is tighter, the characters are more expressive, etc.

Are people simply comparing it to other games of its era when they make this assessment? It was a 10/10 game for its time, sure. But later games in the series are more fun to play, feel more immersive, and don't have the wonky camera.

Maybe I'm just a literalist, and others aren't?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 08:59 AM   #179
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
After seeing a quick preview of the Switch running it at 900P on the big screen it also suffers the same performance problems as I'm sure the WiiU does in certain circumstances. At this point not at all impressed with the switch as a Home console. Nice Hand held but surly not a home console.
I still use an old 720p TV. I wonder if I'll get the nicer handheld frame-rate when using it with the Switch. Hmm.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:25 AM   #180
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I've been hearing some pretty crazy claims from long time Zelda fans saying its amazing and now their favorite Zelda game of all time.

Not sure if that will hold in the long term but just happy to hear at least initially its looking really good. I'm actually going to break my rule of buying new games at release and will try to pick up a copy tomorrow morning.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote