Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
david
Radeon R700

david is still being judged by the masses

Angry Well some bad news and some worse news (VERY IMPORTANT TO R9700 BUYERS (Please read)

While I was at my distubutor *cough*imgram micro*cough* today getting my customers cards. "Retail" radeon 9700`s PRO is what they clearly stated to me before i made my order.
So they bring out my cards along with my other orders. I Look down inside the craete, what do I see? 40 "Retail" PowerColor Radeon 9700 PRO`s. So several other resellers and I got extremely mad, and demanded that an ATi rep responded. So they called ATI. and this is how my story ends explaining everything. What I am having to write to my customers.

Dear Customer,
Congratulations on your purchase of the ATI Radeon 9700. Due to miscommunications at the distributor level the product I received, to send to you, is a PowerColor Retail 9700 pro .This is due to a policy change on the part of ATI.
According to Mr. Mike Thomaston of ATI (ATI sales rep), ATI will no longer be selling their cards through traditional retail channels. Only ATI's website will carry these.
Instead, through a process of re-badging, ATI will sell their cards through distribution channels
Let me assure you - this is the ATI Radeon 9700. It carries the same clock speeds, manual, software that the ATI Radeon Retail box carries. The only difference, in fact, is the box.
I want you to be happy with your purchase and rest assured that you indeed received the product advertised. This card was manufactured by ATI, not a third-party. If you would like an instant refund please contact me before as soon as you possibly can. We at HardwareHeaven want you to have the best shopping experience possible. We will discount the item $10 usd, if you choose to keep the item.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

David (Owner)
www.hardwareheaven.net

*Note* Gigabyte ,Hercules and Creative are the only non made buy ati boards.

Last edited by david : Sep 3, 2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Braham
Radeon R700

Braham is still being judged by the masses

does the "traditoinal retail channels" refer to online stores only or store fronts as well, like best buy, compusa, etc, etc. ?? This is very interesting to me, even though I already have my ATI retail 9700.

--Braham
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

I don't think I clearly understand? You wanted the ATI box?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:54 PM   #4
SciDoctor
Radeon Northern Islands

SciDoctor is still being judged by the masses

Odd.......and mysterious...
I wonder if ATI will make an official anouncement.
Hopefuly the forum members will not flame if ATI respond here
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:55 PM   #5
Braham
Radeon R700

Braham is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasef
I don't think I clearly understand? You wanted the ATI box?
In the eyes of most consumers, a different box means different hardware inside the box. Its not different hardware in this case, but the fact that they were mislead about what they would be recieving is big. Also just the little difference of the box is huge to consumers (especially in the US), because all you can see on the shelves is the box, not whats inside.

--Braham
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:57 PM   #6
david
Radeon R700

No I do not want a flame war. The ATI rep clearly stated that
"channel partners" from now on will not get "Retail" cards . Insted they will be rebadged built by ati cards .
Old Sep 3, 2002, 01:58 PM   #7
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Are we saying then that ATI is gonna be like Nvidia now? That they are gonna not make their own cards at all, but rather make the GPU only?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:01 PM   #8
Bolthead
Radeon R300

Bolthead is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
Are we saying then that ATI is gonna be like Nvidia now? That they are gonna not make their own cards at all, but rather make the GPU only?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
i think the gist of it is that the ati website is the ONLY place consumers will be able to purchase ati-made and ati-branded video cards going forward. retailers will no longer have access to ati-branded products, but rather ati technology video cards with third-party branding (i.e., powercolor, creative, etc.).

kind of like nvidia in that third parties will serve as the primary distribution channels to consumers, but, unlike nvidia, ati will continue to produce their own cards but they will only be sold through ati itself.
2 Maxtor 80GB ATA-133 HDs (RAID 0 Array)
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
16x DVD
24x10x40 CDRW
3Com NIC (3CR990-TX-97)
Audigy Platinum
this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule

Last edited by Bolthead : Sep 3, 2002 at 02:04 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:14 PM   #9
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

ChrisW is still being judged by the masses

Question

So, these PowerColor cards are "Built by ATI" instead of "Powered by ATI"? Same parts, etc.? They use the same drivers without hacking them?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:15 PM   #10
david
Radeon R700

I dont want people thinking this is the fault of ati. It isnt. Its the distubotors that cant seem to get thier storys strieght.

lol best part of all what do I recieve for the goof up.......

A free segate barracuda 40 gig 7200 rpm drive for the troubles. A FREAKEN $79 HDD! heh they just cost me about $6000 in business and give me a $79 hdd lol . What has this world come too
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:16 PM   #11
david
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
So, these PowerColor cards are "Built by ATI" instead of "Powered by ATI"? Same parts, etc.? They use the same drivers without hacking them?
Yes they are built buy ATI, just rebadged. Thier isnt even a power color sticker on the card. Only the box is different.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:18 PM   #12
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

How about the white box version? You can understand lots of people don't want the card just because of the box.

That's not too bad though. If people are assured they are getting the right card this time instead of some inferior product, they would probably get the cheaper 3rd party board.

Last edited by ChrisW : Sep 3, 2002 at 02:21 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:19 PM   #13
sireric
ATI Guru

sireric is still being judged by the masses

From the ATI website, you will get the ATI labeled box. From large consummer outlets (i.e. BestBuy), you will also get ATI labeled boxes. From channel distributors, such as Ingram Micro, you will get AiB labeled boxes, and the boards inside those boxes will be either manufactured by the AiB or ATI. However, for the 9700Pro, all clock frequencies will be the same, weither manufactured by AiB or ATI.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:22 PM   #14
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally posted by sireric
From the ATI website, you will get the ATI labeled box. From large consummer outlets (i.e. BestBuy), you will also get ATI labeled boxes. From channel distributors, such as Ingram Micro, you will get AiB labeled boxes, and the boards inside those boxes will be either manufactured by the AiB or ATI. However, for the 9700Pro, all clock frequencies will be the same, weither manufactured by AiB or ATI.
I think that makes this thread deserve a sticky!
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:23 PM   #15
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
I think that makes this thread deserve a sticky!
it dont need it! people are replying like crazy and its keeping the thread uptop! LOL
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:31 PM   #16
Caleb
Radeon Arctic Islands

Caleb is still being judged by the masses

Actually this is pretty interesting. So are all PowerColor cards build by ATI, or is it just some of them? Last time I checked PowerColor was a board manufacturer, seems a bit wierd they are now reduced to a box designer.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:32 PM   #17
david
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by sireric
Thankyou for replying, Though i do feel that you guys need to slap around your disubutors for causing such a big confusion. This is putting a big hurt on us resellers pockets.

Last edited by david : Sep 3, 2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:34 PM   #18
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

For now, all 9700 boards sold under any name are effectively built by ATI. There will be AiB partner modified designs being released in the coming weeks from a few manufacturers though.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:40 PM   #19
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands

euan is still being judged by the masses

This is the reply I got on the same matter regarding my order of an "ATI Radeon 9700 Pro" from www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk

Quote:
Hi
the card is a connect 3d card, the reason for the description not saying
this is that we cannot guarantee the brand of the card, however all
current 9700 cards being shipped are built by ati.
On the other hand it's actually good news for now. Because all the cards are real ATI cards!
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:48 PM   #20
david
Radeon R700

As I said I do not want anyone thinking this is ATI`s fault in anyway. They are a great company (whom I have delt with many times IE : phone , person to person etc for many different reasons...) ,who truly do care about thier customers.
I just want this issue to be cleared off the table, so everyone knows the real deal. Not just what some rumors say etc....

EVERYONE GIVE A BIG HAND TO ATI FOR A WONDERFUL CARD!!!
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:54 PM   #21
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Default Powercolor cards looks fine..

In fact its looks identical to ATI's reference design right down to the metal heat spreader ..not a big deal..same clock speeds.

The only bad issue is the terrible box art, but who plays with a box anyways..I'd be happy with a antistatic bag
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:57 PM   #22
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

So, can ATI confirm if the third party boards made by ATI are the exact same boards?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 02:59 PM   #23
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

Humm... I placed an order through ENPC a few days ago for an ATI retail 9700pro, it sounds like I might be receiving one with a fancy-boy box.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:00 PM   #24
DDM_Reaper20
Radeon R600

DDM_Reaper20 is still being judged by the masses

Guys, don't shoot me for chiming in (flames are O.K., though ):

The BOX is not the deciding factor, now is it? I got a Radeon 8500 128MB DDR from Powercolor some time back. Sure, the box looked stupid, but who cares? It's bloody packaging material. As long as the card itself is good, I couldn't probably care less. My Powercolor *8500* was an LE (clocked at 250/250), but according to Powercolor's website, the ONLY Radeon 9700 PRO they currently sell is identical to the Retail as far the speed is concerned (325/310 (620)).

I'm not going to get a Retail, since I live in Germany. Heck, I'll be glad to get ANY Radeon 9700 Pro, as long as it works, and works well . . .
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:01 PM   #25
killrose
late nite gammer

killrose is still being judged by the masses

I guess as long as it is a "Built By Ati" card you actually get, with same core/mem clocks/ramdacs,ect., the box really does'nt matter. But the dealers/Distributors need to be more up front.

I'm affraid that there could be a lot of abuse by some card distributors with these practices.
[email protected], AMD Heatpipe Cooler, Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H, 2Gig Dual Channel Lovin HP w/Micron Chips, Saphire 3850 512mb W/Zalman [email protected]/985, HDaudio, WD 80gig, TDK 16x10x40, 4x DVD, LanBoy Case, Nortel DSL Modem and a wiff of something burning.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:03 PM   #26
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally posted by DDM_Reaper20
The BOX is not the deciding factor, now is it?
Absolutely not! The box may look stupid, but it's the card that makes the difference. If I can save $40 and the only difference is the box, I'll take the cheaper card with the stupid box.

Now, someone needs to release an AIW 9700 with a real sucky box so I can get it much cheaper!

Last edited by ChrisW : Sep 3, 2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:07 PM   #27
Xp2000
Banned

Xp2000 is still being judged by the masses

David.
I will tell you this dude and you take it for what you want.
The company that you delt with to get the cards and mention in your sickness and cough SUCKS. I mean A root. I speak from past dealings and having spent alot of money with them.
I cant believe you have to buy the ati card from the web site but I guess that part is true enough. I think ill just wait on the hercules or gigabyte one.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:07 PM   #28
Kowan
Older than dirt

Kowan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by killrose
I guess as long as it is a "Built By Ati" card you actually get, with same core/mem clocks/ramdacs,ect., the box really does'nt matter.
I think that will be what most will question. Are the same quality components used?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:07 PM   #29
DDM_Reaper20
Radeon R600

DDM_Reaper20 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Absolutely not! The box may look stupid, but it's the card that makes the difference. If I can save $40 and the only difference is the box, I'll take the cheaper card with the stupid box.

Now, someone needs to release an AIW 9700 with a real sucky box so I can get it much cheaper!
You got it.

Powercolor makes good cards, BTW. I bought a Powercolor Radeon 8500 LE (64MB DDR) for my father, and he's been VERY happy with it.

An AIW 9700 would be neat . . . provided they don't butcher the clock speed.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:12 PM   #30
david
Radeon R700

For the people that requested a refund they have been sent. Sorry about the confusion.