Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:19 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Rofl
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:33 AM   #122
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The technology is brand new and just offered but one can get the monitors with a little searching and offered at nVidia's site for now.

The monitors will be available much more to more vendors as time passes as production ramps up, one may imagine.

http://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servlet...goryID=5842700

I believe a small amount of E-tailers like Comp Usa and such have them as well.

When it comes to new technology at times, it's tough to receive data from employees at local retail franchise walk-in stores or local small walk-in shops.
SIrPauly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:56 PM   #123
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Slightly related, but I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D over the weekend. I have to say the 3D effect was VERY effective and much better than the 3D crap shows you find in Disney/Universal theme parks. No color loss, no headaches, no duplicate images, ghosting, etc... It's all thanks to a new digital format, RealD Cinema, which alot more movies are being filmed in. There's now over a 1,000 "3D" ready theaters nationwide and more being converted as we speak.

Here's a complete list of upcoming movies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema

This is the direction entertainment is moving to, it's not a fad like red/blue glasses were back in the early 80's, because this time...the technology works.

PC wise, 120Hz LCD monitors solves alot of the problems that plagued earlier attempts at 3D gaming. This is the logical next step in graphics and gaming, as it was from software acceleration to hardware acceleration. It will probably be a few years before we have a single standard, just as there is a single standard for cinema, but I like this direction and look forward to new era in immersion.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:40 PM   #124
JesterOnYer6
Banned

JesterOnYer6 is still being judged by the masses

JesterOnYer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:56 PM   #125
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Slightly related, but I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D over the weekend. I have to say the 3D effect was VERY effective and much better than the 3D crap shows you find in Disney/Universal theme parks. No color loss, no headaches, no duplicate images, ghosting, etc... It's all thanks to a new digital format, RealD Cinema, which alot more movies are being filmed in. There's now over a 1,000 "3D" ready theaters nationwide and more being converted as we speak.

Here's a complete list of upcoming movies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema

This is the direction entertainment is moving to, it's not a fad like red/blue glasses were back in the early 80's, because this time...the technology works.

PC wise, 120Hz LCD monitors solves alot of the problems that plagued earlier attempts at 3D gaming. This is the logical next step in graphics and gaming, as it was from software acceleration to hardware acceleration. It will probably be a few years before we have a single standard, just as there is a single standard for cinema, but I like this direction and look forward to new era in immersion.
That's another area where I am have been investigating and why I feel the industry is moving in this direction as a whole.

Did see a little interview with Derek Perez from nVidia and mentions the 3d movie point starting to take make a dent here and to bring this to the consumer for home and for games. Nice step in immersion.

http://tv.hexus.net/show/2009/01/CES...erviews_HEXUS/

Last edited by SIrPauly : Jan 19, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 PM   #126
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I missed this article and had some nuggets in there:

Quote:
While the glasses are nothing astounding, they do deliver arguably a better 3D experience than even IMAX, and characters and enemies in some games will really look 3D. While not for everyone, some gaming enthusiast may enjoy the experience these glasses provide.
Quote:
Some games have so-called "depth effects" like Left For Dead, but other games like World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King deliver so-called "out of the screen" effects, which are even more eye catching, but harder to implement. In the WoW rendition, a dragon will appear to fly out of the screen at the gamer.
WoW is one of my favorite titles and I don't get sick of reading this and so neat.

Quote:
NVIDIA has a list of certified monitor partners, whose 120 Hz displays are guaranteed to work with the glasses. NVIDIA reps say that other uncertified true 120 Hz displays "should work", but that "there's no guarantees (without certification)."
I was curious about this about certain 120hz screens.

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Rele...ticle13892.htm
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:03 PM   #127
Creig
Radeon R100

Creig is still being judged by the masses

Until 120Hz monitors become mainstream and the 3D glasses drop to $100, I can't see this taking off. Who is going to spend $400 to replace their perfectly good current monitor simply to see 3D effects? I know I wouldn't. And I've used 3D shutter glasses before. In fact, they're still sitting up in my closet (somewhere).

Back when the ELSA Revelator glasses were released, you could purchased the wired version for $50 and the IR wireless version (like the Nvidia glasses) for $80. I find it hard to believe that the cost to produce the LCD shutter panels used as lenses in the glasses hasn't gotten cheaper over the years. Yet Nvidia is now charging $200 for them? Something tells me the same person who set the initial price of the GTX280 at $650 is also responsible for the MSRP of these glasses as well. WAAYYYY overpriced, IMO.

The technology, while nice, simply isn't worth $600 ($400 for the monitor, $200 for the glasses). In fact, if you don't currently own a fast Nvidia video card, you're looking at something closer to $900-$1,000.

As I said, I used these glasses previously and it's just not worth the entry price. If you already own a 120Hz monitor and a fast Nvidia video card, and the price of these glasses drops to $100, then I'll give it a thumbs up. But not until then.

Last edited by Creig : Jan 22, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
Creig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:23 PM   #128
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

One must exist to crawl, walk, run and then eventually take-off.

The choice exists -- let's see what it does while it matures over time.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:52 PM   #129
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Actually some owners are chiming in -- which is what I've been waiting for:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2690

Quote:
buy them bro trust me way better then any other glasses i have used, those who say they are not worth $200 are out their mind, order the set you will thanks me later for the quality
That is what is important to me -- the quality --- more than the early adoption price. Don't mind paying a bit more for this --but it must offer quality.

Quote:
these are way better then the samsung and tridef glasses, the quality is worth the price, the set up and intergration is perfect in drivers, i ran the wizard and bam instant windows 64 bit gaming
Quote:
Re ghosting i just checked out Fallout again.. none that I can see.. and there are some pretty intense lighting effects that would have been a problem with my old edimensional shutter glasses and CRT set up.
Enjoy these first hand views and using comparisons of other techs. I'm almost sold now.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:53 PM   #130
RedRyder
Radeon R100

RedRyder is still being judged by the masses

Just ran across this article.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16256
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:00 PM   #131
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
Just ran across this article.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16256
That's the writer's view but did not learn anything at all. He seems to have problems with wearing glasses and the crux of his discussion.

Quote:
The technology hasn't undergone any radical evolutions, and you're still wearing the same stupid glasses. They're just slightly different stupid glasses.
About 6 times -- it was about glasses to him.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:30 PM   #132
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

That author mentioned a Stereoscopic Kiosk but didn't define it clearly as a GeForce 3d Vision Kiosk. If it is a GeForce 3d Vision kiosk and indeed offering them right now; where? I would like to see it first-hand.

Quote:
A kiosk I continually pass by at Fry's Electronics has a monitor tweaked for stereoscopic vision, too. All you have to do is put on these crazy 3D glasses and you, too, can enjoy Hellgate: London (yes, this really is one of the games they demo it with) in stereoscopic, questionable-quality 3D! Given how well it worked, I wouldn't pay five bucks for it, much less three figures.

I hope they have them in retail outlets around New England. I will e-mail the author.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:36 PM   #133
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

E-mailed the author and curious if the author will reply and expand on my questions.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:50 PM   #134
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Man I wish they had a Fry's around here, I always hear about folks buying motherboards and crap there, we have NOTHING like that around here, especially now that CompUSA is gone. Best Buy is the closest approximation but it's selection of stuff and pricing is a joke.

In any case, my view of what we call "3d" in general is the same as the guy who wrote the Tech Report article that RR posted was. It's hokey :\ Not saying that about these fancy nvidia glasses, they might have some special new technology that changes the whole game and makes "fake 3d" look closer to "real 3d" . I hope so, I wanna see the rear end of that winged warrior chick in Sacred 2 in all it's 3d glory.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:23 PM   #135
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Man I wish they had a Fry's around here, I always hear about folks buying motherboards and crap there, we have NOTHING like that around here, especially now that CompUSA is gone. Best Buy is the closest approximation but it's selection of stuff and pricing is a joke.

In any case, my view of what we call "3d" in general is the same as the guy who wrote the Tech Report article that RR posted was. It's hokey :\ Not saying that about these fancy nvidia glasses, they might have some special new technology that changes the whole game and makes "fake 3d" look closer to "real 3d" . I hope so, I wanna see the rear end of that winged warrior chick in Sacred 2 in all it's 3d glory.

It's not hokey, it's true 3D everything has depth perception. You stand next to a wall in a game with the view of a city next to it, the wall will feel like it's right next to the monitor and the city will seem it's actually miles away when you look at it.

Depth Perception add's a lot to games, believe me it works and has worked for years, only now we have gotten to the point where there are no negative image quality factors.

The monitor essentially becomes a window rather than a flat plane.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:23 PM   #136
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:

In any case, my view of what we call "3d" in general is the same as the guy who wrote the Tech Report article that RR posted was.
That view is fair as with any view -- negative or positive. Back in the day, gamed with Wicked 3d glasses from Metabyte -- and I believe a lot of these people and tech did go to nVidia -- don't hold me to it though - not 100 percent sure. The Wicked 3d glasses were neat and all; the effect was solid but the quality and ghosting was tough to bear when the newness ran out; as did the compatible problem in games.

That's why I am clamoring for data in the compatible and quality departments. Really believe if there is real quality here -- can make a serious dent -- as time passes, drivers mature, and prices drop.

Wearing glasses is no big deal to me -- what is-is the actual effect, quality and immersion aspects -- which are indeed subjective.

The MTBS views hold some water is because they compared to what they were currently using to the new GeForce 3d vision. I tend to dismiss negative views when most of it was just wearing glasses. If it had real tangible substance -- would pay attention to it much, much more.

The hit doesn't bother me too much and understand this up-front and doing the scene twice -- which helps allow for the effect.

This isn't for everyone obviously and some may not be interested at all and understandable. But there is this push to 3d from the industry and more than welcomed by me. Was hoping for this technology to offer more quality and was wondering when? Great to see from my perspective.

Damned if you; Damned if you don't:

When gamers offer some games don't even push current 3d products, well, it's nice to see these GPU's pushed even harder to try to offer even more immersion like PhysX or Stereo3d. As hardware improves over time - so do these features as well.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Jan 22, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:47 PM   #137
RedRyder
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
It's not hokey, it's true 3D everything has depth perception. You stand next to a wall in a game with the view of a city next to it, the wall will feel like it's right next to the monitor and the city will seem it's actually miles away when you look at it.

Depth Perception add's a lot to games, believe me it works and has worked for years, only now we have gotten to the point where there are no negative image quality factors.

The monitor essentially becomes a window rather than a flat plane.
Talking about depth perception, one of the biggest problems with the militarys night vision in lets say the M1A2 or the Bradly is depth perception a small pot hole can end up being a 5 foot drop off so maybe the military should look into this technology.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:21 PM   #138
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is a stereo 3d company that deals with the military.

http://www.reald.com/index.php/page/23

Edit:

I just read the manual of GeForce3d vision:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/3dvisi...c16_Screen.pdf

Last edited by SIrPauly : Jan 22, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:47 PM   #139
RedRyder
Radeon R100

http://www.reald.com/index.php/page/28

The glasses look like the 10 dollar glasses you can buy at the checkout stand at wally world but click on the links to the displays that make it come to life.... also look at the prices make sure sitting down and don't have any type of liquid in your mouth.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:02 PM   #140
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

That's the thing -- don't go by what the glasses look like -- but how the effect looks like while wearing them -- that's the key -- and what I am trying to find out.

It's nice to have glasses that are visually appealing and not to look too nerdy and all for some -- understandable -- but for me -- I don't care at all. All that matters is the quality of the image to me and does it raise the bar of immersion and look more real?

When I see Mirror's edge as she jumps all over the place on those tall buildings -- I wanna know - will I get that feeling looking over the edge of a tall skyscraper? All nervous and know if I fall -- it's going to be not fun, hehe!

What these glasses may offer for me is "scale" to feel and judge the environments much more. I can't think of a better technology right now that offers "to feel like you're inside the game" And if it is quality -- going to pinch myself -- because I am going to have trouble actually believing it.

Getting excited again thinking about it but don't want to rush into it 'till I know for sure.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:48 PM   #141
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

So Pauly, you gonna put your money where your mouth is? Ya gonna get them as soon as they hit the stores or are you gonna hold off for awhile?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:26 AM   #142
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
So Pauly, you gonna put your money where your mouth is? Ya gonna get them as soon as they hit the stores or are you gonna hold off for awhile?
I would my self if it wasn't for the fact my company just announced they are getting rid of 1/3 of the staff.

All I know is they are the same tech as the ones I used to own, but only without the downsides, and wireless with a USB charger, which to me is worthy the price. (gotta make sure I'm not the 1/3 first )

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:28 AM   #143
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is but the key is "quality" and want to be sure before I do. The early adoption price doesn't bother me too much and would pay more to have the technology in my hands earlier.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:43 AM   #144
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

how does this differ from for example the shutters I got bundled with my ancient ASUS GF256 ?
The effect was sorta cool, for a while.. novelty wore off though.
werent very comfortable to wear or on the eyes for longer sessions.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:16 PM   #145
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I trying to gauge what top-of-the-line optics today are with optics of past shutters. Then combine this with newer monitor technologies and more modern drivers may improve this much more than past offerings.

The idea of 3d stereo never did wear off for me -- the lack of quality and compatible aspects did for me and ruined the positives for me.

I'm really pissed off if this post is true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizow
Ya, he never even tried Nvidia's latest solution, so its basically a rant on 3D in general. I think this guy is lobbying for humans to develop polarized retinas or something, as he seems to hate the notion of having to wear glasses for stereoscopic 3D from a 2D source.
The above quote was about the Stereo sucks article. If the author didn't have the common courtesy to try the product and yet blanket the GeForce 3d Vision with the rest of Stereo and how he loathes glasses drama.......you have to be kidding me?

I e-mailed that author of that article from TechReport and doubt I will receive an answer.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:21 PM   #146
RedRyder
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
I trying to gauge what top-of-the-line optics today are with optics of past shutters. Then combine this with newer monitor technologies and more modern drivers may improve this much more than past offerings.

The idea of 3d stereo never did wear off for me -- the lack of quality and compatible aspects did for me and ruined the positives for me.

I'm really pissed off if this post is true:

The above quote was about the Stereo sucks article. If the author didn't have the common courtesy to try the product and yet blanket the GeForce 3d Vision with the rest of Stereo and how he loathes glasses drama.......you have to be kidding me?

I e-mailed that author of that article from TechReport and doubt I will receive an answer.
This must really be keeping you up at night, take a grain of salt and call me in the morning.

Last edited by RedRyder : Jan 23, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:48 PM   #147
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Thanks for the concern - it's appreciated. I'll do that - thanks doc.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:38 AM   #148
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

got mine in the mail today, will be testing tonight and report, k?!
I have always loved the 3d stuff, old sega 3d, and never tried shutters, but wanted them really bad with the sega system they had.
Box looks cool.

BTW, these are previous gen models i got for 5$ off amazon so i have to use a 60hz crt,but no matter. The nvidia stero aettings are in the new nhancer so i can force it on most any game.
Will report back soon!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:35 AM   #149
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://www.stereoscopic.org/2009/program.html

Quote:
Discussion Forum 2: Wed. 4:30 to 5:30 pm

3D Gaming - What's it going to take to go big time?

3D gaming is undergoing many advancements in both display hardware and software, but how and when is 3D gaming really going to hit the big time. Hear industry leaders discuss this topic.

Moderator: Neil Scheider, Meant to Be Seen 3D
Panel: Andrew Fear, NVIDIA Corporation
Bob Eminian, iZ3D LLC
Julien Flack, Dynamic Digital Depth
Chris Ward, Lightspeed Design Inc

Going to see if I can find a transcript of this discussion above:
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:31 PM   #150
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Found this video at the CES show in Las Vegas:

http://www.bnettv.com/player.php?id=2062&title=Nvidia