Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:56 PM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
_mulder
Radeon R100

_mulder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Wow! Great lurker, 30 posts in 10 years.
lol! I know, I know. just don't have much time for posting. But still love the info (and the drama sometimes) happening here. And that's going to be 2 posts in a day. A record
_mulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2019, 04:34 PM   #272
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
My Sapphire Pulse cost £439.99 but the Pulse in the UK should be £425 whereas in the US it's only $409. So $409/£1.21 = £338 x $1.63 Cad = $550 Cad so not far off. Unfortunately we get ripped off in the UK and we also have to pay 20% VAT. So I've paid a premium of about 4% which I can live with TBH.

Talking of costs I found the receipt for my Fury Pro for £435.16 dated 7 Sept 2015 and my Vega 64 cost £449 on launch day in September 2017. As I only paid £439.99 for my Pulse card the prices have stayed pretty reasonable for my last three AMD Cards.

So the prices of the AMD 'high-end' (or mid-range if you prefer) cards have stayed within inflation (I'm ignoring Radeon VII because that's essentially an Instinct card) which quite surprised me TBH.

12/4/2002

lasted 9 years in about 6 systems

……..

have you got the Sapphire Pulse yet ?
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2019, 07:40 PM   #273
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
12/4/2002

lasted 9 years in about 6 systems

……..

have you got the Sapphire Pulse yet ?
Not yet it's supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 24, 2019, 01:57 PM   #274
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Arrived and installed yesterday afternoon. Running everything at stock and it's whisper quiet which is exactly what I wanted. It's about 15/20% faster than Vega 64 which is exactly where I thought it would be. I'll start tweaking it next week but ATM I'm happy with the stock performance.

Here's a pre-install picture..https://imgur.com/QRZBuJw
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Aug 24, 2019, 02:57 PM   #275
_mulder
Radeon R100

Congrats on receiving it.
I really wonder why there is next to nothing out there (regarding AIB)...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 07:49 PM   #276
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mulder View Post
Congrats on receiving it.
I really wonder why there is next to nothing out there (regarding AIB)...
You are going to exceed your 3 posts a year limit!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:14 PM   #277
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You are going to exceed your 3 posts a year limit!
He has one more for the year so make sure you ask the right question!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 03:28 PM   #278
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8E_pmKKcU
Old Aug 25, 2019, 04:57 PM   #279
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Quote:
ROFL!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2019, 05:38 PM   #280
_mulder
Radeon R100

You guys are killing me! And because of that, my limit is exceeded. I think I'll be expelled soon!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 06:39 AM   #281
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mulder View Post
You guys are killing me! And because of that, my limit is exceeded. I think I'll be expelled soon!
ive put in the paperwork
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:10 AM   #282
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD GPU Rumors: Navi 12 ‘Radeon RX 5800 Series’ With 256-bit Bus & Navi 14 ‘Radeon RX 5600 Series’ With 128-bit Bus
https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-12-rad...pecs-detailed/
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:50 AM   #283
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Be nice to see big navi before year end. While it seems to say it has a 256 bit bus some think it could also be using HBM as prices have dropped a lot lately.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:06 AM   #284
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The 350-400 mm² "Navi 12" is a whole different beast, with an estimated 64 compute units (4,096 stream processors). The big news in the 3DCenter.org report concerns its memory interface. AMD will stick to 256-bit GDDR6 memory with the "Navi 12," and probably dial up memory clocks compared to the 14 Gbps speed the "Navi 10" uses. This design choice is influenced by NVIDIA's decision to stick to 256-bit bus width with its "TU104" silicon. AMD appears to have had enough of expensive memory solutions such as HBM2, at least in this market segment.

https://www.techpowerup.com/259651/a...iled-some-more

500 to 700 for a 2080 super

keep it at 500 and make CFX work I might buy two

or hopefully it is closer to the 2080 ti
Old Sep 30, 2019, 03:41 PM   #285
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:

https://www.techpowerup.com/259651/a...iled-some-more

500 to 700 for a 2080 super

keep it at 500 and make CFX work I might buy two

or hopefully it is closer to the 2080 ti
If it's not as fast as the 2080ti I don't know what market AMD are aiming this card at. I would imagine the 2080/super is the worst selling of the RTX cards given it's poor price to performance metric compared to its lesser siblings and the big gap to the ti version.

At best it might be 25% faster than the 5700XT but more likely 50% more expensive so really not a great purchase IMHO. Personally I'm happy with my 5700XT so I won't be buying a '5800' for just a few extra FPS at 1440p. If it can only compete with the 2080/s it's another 1440p card, sub 4K card so who's gonna buy it.

Obviously it's a replacement for Vega VII so I would imagine it will cost around $650 or nearer $700 if it does use HBM. You can buy my Sapphire Pulse for $410 at new egg so who in their right mind would pay 50% more when the 2080s is about 20% faster than the 5700XT in most games. Even if it beats the 2080s by 10% it's still isn't worth buying over a 5700XT.

Although we don't know the price we do know it's replacing the VII so it will most likely cost the same or even more and be close to the 2080s price ($700) if that's the RTX card it's competing with. I seriously looked at buying a 2080 but that price/performance to the 5700XT just doesn't stack up.

Of course AMD could price it lower at launch like they did with the 5700/XT's but it would need to be $550 AT MOST and be able to beat the 2080s by 10 to 20%. Can't see that happening but who knows.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 08:44 PM   #286
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Has to be more than 25% faster for the full fat navi 12 chip. Maybe a cut down ver is in the 25% only added perf area but I expect the full navi12 to be at least 50% faster than navi10. Wouldnt make sense to have it otherwise as a faster chip has to be able to run 4k across the line.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 16, 2019, 01:16 PM   #287
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Grab XFX Radeon RX 5700 With Raise The Game Bundle Today For Only $289.99
https://wccftech.com/grab-xfx-radeon...r-only-289-99/
Old Oct 20, 2019, 05:46 AM   #288
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Be nice to see big navi before year end. While it seems to say it has a 256 bit bus some think it could also be using HBM as prices have dropped a lot lately.
I hope HBM prices continue to come down. I feel like there is potential for the APUs to include HBM, but for that to work HBM has to be relatively inexpensive. As it stands now, the APUs are running into bandwidth limits that is going to significantly limit any further increases in performance.

Obviously for serious gaming, a discrete GPU is a must, but there are some situations where it would be nice to have a compact computer that is capable of a somewhat decent gaming experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
If it's not as fast as the 2080ti I don't know what market AMD are aiming this card at. I would imagine the 2080/super is the worst selling of the RTX cards given it's poor price to performance metric compared to its lesser siblings and the big gap to the ti version.
Honestly, I'd guess the 2080 Ti is the worst selling. It's simply too expensive for 99% of the gaming populace.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:00 PM   #289
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Nagorak I was talking about the worst selling in their respective segment. If you're an enthusiast the 2080ti is the only card available so you don't have a choice. The 2080 on the other hand is in the high end segment where their is lots of competition from NVidia with it's 2070S and belatedly AMD with the 5700XT. Given it's price/performance ratio the 2080/S is a bit of a dead duck in that segment. Too expensive for the performance delta.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:39 PM   #290
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Variable Rate Shading, A Possible Addition To The AMD Strategy?
https://wccftech.com/variable-rate-s...-amd-strategy/
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:59 AM   #291
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Not sure how Nvidia implemented it but can it be done via driver or is it only a HW feature?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Oct 28, 2019, 01:12 PM   #292
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD ‘Big’ Navi GPU Passes RRA Certification – Powerful New High-End Radeon Flagship?

https://wccftech.com/new-amd-gpu-spotted-rra-big-navi/
Old Oct 28, 2019, 04:17 PM   #293
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I mean if they are still using GDDR6 for the card and it can do 2080-2080 super perf for 600-650 if they can get it at 600 with AIBs coming in at 650ish that would be the sweet spot for them at this point imo

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 07:17 PM   #294
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
I mean if they are still using GDDR6 for the card and it can do 2080-2080 super perf for 600-650 if they can get it at 600 with AIBs coming in at 650ish that would be the sweet spot for them at this point imo
Ampere is hitting at about the same time so hopping on it beating a 2080 ti by 20% even if at a higher price 650-800

nv's 3080 ti will most likely be 1200 again if not more
Old Oct 29, 2019, 03:11 AM   #295
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yeah and that is the rub for AMD they are a generation behind right now in performance and I dont think big Navi will cover the current gap. I would be happy to see 2080 super performance as an upgrade path over my vega 64

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2019, 03:18 PM   #296
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
yeah and that is the rub for AMD they are a generation behind right now in performance and I dont think big Navi will cover the current gap. I would be happy to see 2080 super performance as an upgrade path over my vega 64
well if they get the power draw way down and the price to 500 to 550

and CFX works at all on these new cards I might buy two for the few games that it does work
I got a TR system just itching for two cards

other than that it has to be a little faster than the 2080 ti strix I have now to buy a single card
Old Nov 1, 2019, 06:23 AM   #297
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeh I'd really like CFX again too, it's nice to be able to crank exotic AA modes or stupid resolutions but I think those days are gone. TAA and DX12/Vulkan have killed it imho.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:17 AM   #298
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Any new news/leaks on the 5500 series Navi's?

Im thinking about upgrading my GPU and I think I can realisticly go this route without being too bottlenecked by my tried and true Phenom II.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:42 AM   #299
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Ampere is hitting at about the same time so hopping on it beating a 2080 ti by 20% even if at a higher price 650-800

nv's 3080 ti will most likely be 1200 again if not more
If they can even meet the 2080 Ti's performance, I'd probably convert my VR computer back over to AMD. That computer is connected to a television with Freesync support, but Nvidia doesn't support adaptive sync over HDMI. It's not hugely important, as I don't game much on the TV, but all things being equal it would be nice to have.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2019, 04:46 AM   #300
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
If they can even meet the 2080 Ti's performance, I'd probably convert my VR computer back over to AMD. That computer is connected to a television with Freesync support, but Nvidia doesn't support adaptive sync over HDMI. It's not hugely important, as I don't game much on the TV, but all things being equal it would be nice to have.
Quote:
Game Ready Driver 441.08 Out Now, Adds ReShade Filters, HDMI 2.1 VRR
https://wccftech.com/game-ready-driv...ncy-rendering/

some tv's they do

but won't get full HDMI 2.1 till the RTX 3000's
so it is 4k/60 max for now

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 2, 2019 at 04:51 AM.