Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 18, 2019, 04:58 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I'm an IT project manager.

So guess what. About an hour after I received the first job offer, a second one - from the company who I thought had ghosted me - came in. It's for much less than the first, but I'm shocked that they offered anything.

Two job offers in one day.
This is how it happens. It took me about 5 months to find my new job which I too just started about 5 weeks ago, and I'm STILL getting job offers . I went from a dead end job where I was treated like **** and bored out of my mind while sweating my ass off in a dirty warehouse only to be chewed out for doing EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO (all for piss pay), to a job that actually wants my feedback and the manager is actually a pretty cool guy.

I am now learning Enterprise level IT for a corporate world and I had no idea how much of a different animal it is from small level IT hardware work. But these guys are training me and I'm learning a lot and there is a TON of room to grow. Full insurance, 401k, profit sharing, FLM benefits, the works.

Hell my first week there, the Director of IT (my bosses boss) invited me to join him and the IT team at a shooting range. Got to fire a fully automatic gun for the first time and get more familiar with who my new coworkers are.

My first few weeks at this job were stressful and gut-wrenching because you feel like you want to learn everything at once and it sucks being the new guy and knowing nothing. As I'm approaching my 6th week however, I'm starting to get the hang of it. There is still a ton of stuff I don't know how to do yet, but there is lots of learning potential, and the job certainly isn't boring.

All in all, I made the right decision leaving my other job (I'm sure you saw some of my posts on how badly we were treated there, though not quite to Hapinsk level of rage) and I now wish I got out years ago.

From a dead end job to a job with lots of potential room for growth (they are even about to hire another 100 people on top of the 700 we already have), I hope I found a home at this place.

Wow I went off on a tangent there, but it appears a ton of us ragers are finding new jobs right around the same time but for different reasons. Good luck in your adventures regardless!

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 07:39 AM   #32
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Update: Just heard back from the recruiter at a the company where I had the in-person interview this past Monday. They are moving forward with a formal job offer. It's about 2/3 what I was making before, but still MUCH better than unemployment. Plus they have a bonus plan and 50% 401K matching, so that helps. They sent me the benefits package today so I can see how much it will cost for health insurance.

I'm going to accept the offer, of course, but I'll keep looking. Being the sole income earner means I need more Benjamins. Still...great news!

You'll get Benjamin's? Lucky, wish I could be a hundredaire

Congrats, that is one less stresser for the ole ticker.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 08:53 AM   #33
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
This is how it happens. It took me about 5 months to find my new job which I too just started about 5 weeks ago, and I'm STILL getting job offers . I went from a dead end job where I was treated like **** and bored out of my mind while sweating my ass off in a dirty warehouse only to be chewed out for doing EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO (all for piss pay), to a job that actually wants my feedback and the manager is actually a pretty cool guy.

I am now learning Enterprise level IT for a corporate world and I had no idea how much of a different animal it is from small level IT hardware work. But these guys are training me and I'm learning a lot and there is a TON of room to grow. Full insurance, 401k, profit sharing, FLM benefits, the works.

Hell my first week there, the Director of IT (my bosses boss) invited me to join him and the IT team at a shooting range. Got to fire a fully automatic gun for the first time and get more familiar with who my new coworkers are.

My first few weeks at this job were stressful and gut-wrenching because you feel like you want to learn everything at once and it sucks being the new guy and knowing nothing. As I'm approaching my 6th week however, I'm starting to get the hang of it. There is still a ton of stuff I don't know how to do yet, but there is lots of learning potential, and the job certainly isn't boring.

All in all, I made the right decision leaving my other job (I'm sure you saw some of my posts on how badly we were treated there, though not quite to Hapinsk level of rage) and I now wish I got out years ago.

From a dead end job to a job with lots of potential room for growth (they are even about to hire another 100 people on top of the 700 we already have), I hope I found a home at this place.

Wow I went off on a tangent there, but it appears a ton of us ragers are finding new jobs right around the same time but for different reasons. Good luck in your adventures regardless!
Awesome! Sounds like you landed a great job.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 19, 2019, 12:39 AM   #34
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

Awesome, glad this particular rough patch will be coming to an end soon!
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 08:42 AM   #35
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

More good news.

Thanks in large part to many awesome, generous Ragers, we've received enough in donations to cover the majority of Brendan's hospital bill.

Like I mentioned a few posts back, the hospital wrote off $100K of the bill, which left only $30K for us to pay back. As of right now, we've received $26K in donations!!

Thanks again, everyone.
Old May 19, 2019, 09:10 AM   #36
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wow that is amazing.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 09:28 AM   #37
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
More good news.

Thanks in large part to many awesome, generous Ragers, we've received enough in donations to cover the majority of Brendan's hospital bill.

Like I mentioned a few posts back, the hospital wrote off $100K of the bill, which left only $30K for us to pay back. As of right now, we've received $26K in donations!!

Thanks again, everyone.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 11:04 AM   #38
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Still wish I could have done more, but I’m super glad everything is working out for you. Hoping for even more blessings in the days to come!

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 10:31 PM   #39
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Best of luck to you, Munkus. Glad to hear about the hospital bills too, that's awesome. I'm going into my third week at my new job and it's going well, can't wait to get a few paychecks under my belt. I got one week's pay last week because I started in the middle of a pay period and it was almost what I made at my last job in two weeks. Just cements the fact that my old gig was a total shithole.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 01:57 AM   #40
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You get paid weekly?
Old May 20, 2019, 08:15 AM   #41
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
You get paid weekly?
Nah, he gets up on a stage with a pole and peeps throw money his way daily.

yoz
Old May 20, 2019, 08:17 AM   #42
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
You get paid weekly?
Yep. This is standard in the US and Canada.

Either every week, every 2 weeks or in some cases, twice a month (24 vs 26 pays per year).
The vast majority of the time, pay is on Thursday.

I was surprised that is it monthly in most of Europe and ME.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 08:16 PM   #43
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
You get paid weekly?
No, bi-weekly. I started in the middle of the pay period so when it was pay day I only got one week's pay.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 02:03 PM   #44
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Just signed my offer letter and read through the benefits fine print. The health insurance premiums are highly subsidized. To insure my whole family at the $1500 deductible level is only $450/mo. Not bad considering what I used to pay at my last company that offered benefits. I think it was like $800/mo for $5000 deductible with that company.
Old May 21, 2019, 02:06 PM   #45
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Just signed my offer letter and read through the benefits fine print. The health insurance premiums are highly subsidized. To insure my whole family at the $1500 deductible level is only $450/mo. Not bad considering what I used to pay at my last company that offered benefits. I think it was like $800/mo for $5000 deductible with that company.
Nice! Goes to offset the lesser pay.

yoz
Old May 21, 2019, 11:21 PM   #46
KAC
That postcount though...

Wow, didn't know US paid weekly or bi weekly. I get paid monthly. Hence, the need for credit cards and stuff.
Old May 26, 2019, 07:32 AM   #47
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Wow, didn't know US paid weekly or bi weekly. I get paid monthly. Hence, the need for credit cards and stuff.
one or two week pay periods are the norm for north america. Very few places pay salaries or hourly workers monthly
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019, 11:43 AM   #48
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I get paid bi-weekly. Three check months are great.
Old May 27, 2019, 02:04 AM   #49
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
No, bi-weekly. I started in the middle of the pay period so when it was pay day I only got one week's pay.
That's how it was when I first started my new job too.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 08:40 AM   #50
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
I get paid bi-weekly. Three check months are great.
I didn't like getting paid that way. I got more paychecks, but that meant each one was a little smaller. For example, at $100K, each paycheck would be $3846 gross instead of $4166. Sure it felt nice to get that extra paycheck twice a year, but the months leading up to it were tighter. I prefer semi-monthly. Luckily that's how my new job pays.
Old May 27, 2019, 08:58 AM   #51
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

A year ago in August I was looking for a job remotely and applied to dozens of jobs. Of those jobs minimum half I heard nothing back from. No rejection letter nothing. Of the remainder I got rejection e-mails. I was applying for anything I could get that would pay my bills at the new location even entry level helpdesk jobs.

To say it was disheartening would be an understatement. I did eventually get the job I'm in now, was interviewing for another, and had taken an offer for a helpdesk job at a hospital. 9 months later and I am seeing a lot of openings and have recruiters emailing and calling me every couple weeks. Most of the jobs aren't great yet still it gives me confidence that if I had to get something in a hurry I probably could.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 08:55 PM   #52
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
The more interesting is the twice a month, usually on the 1st and 15th.
So it does not matter which day of the week
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 09:53 PM   #53
KAC
That postcount though...

I get paid every 26th. Is the norm here. My loans also come due on 26th. It is like hey I thought I had more money and bam.