Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Default Bought a Antec 900....

Couldnt decide between that and a Antec P180. Had a gift certificate from Best Buy so I picked it up today for less than I could have bought it for on Newegg and ZZF. I know alot of people don't like the fact that there are no filters for the front fans. My question for anyone here that owns the case is how much dust and dog hair (if you have one) do you really get in the case and how often do you have to clean it?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHecK View Post
Couldnt decide between that and a Antec P180. Had a gift certificate from Best Buy so I picked it up today for less than I could have bought it for on Newegg and ZZF. I know alot of people don't like the fact that there are no filters for the front fans. My question for anyone here that owns the case is how much dust and dog hair (if you have one) do you really get in the case and how often do you have to clean it?
I was in a similar situation and i went the opposite way. It was between the nine hundred and the p180 and I went with the tried and test p180.
Still have to open the cardboard box it came in because i'm waiting for the computer parts to come in.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:09 PM   #3
NYHecK

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
I was in a similar situation and i went the opposite way. It was between the nine hundred and the p180 and I went with the tried and test p180.
Still have to open the cardboard box it came in because i'm waiting for the computer parts to come in.
I'm waiting for my parts to come in also but I opened my box up and have a empty case sitting next to my other antec case lol
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I'm waiting for my parts to come in also but I opened my box up and have a empty case sitting next to my other antec case lol
haha! what did you get?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
NYHecK

Subscriber

Quote:
haha! what did you get?

I got a Asus PBN-E motherboard, 600w PSU, 2GB PC2-800, Evga 7950GX2 (thanks to Greasy). I actually don't have any of these things yet but they are all en route. I just need the C2D processor to finish it off but I wont get that till the end of the month.

Can't wait to see how this Antec 900 looks turned on. I just noticed...it dosen't look like it has LED's on the front for power or HDD activity. wierd.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:04 PM   #6
NYHecK

Subscriber

So nobody can answer my original question about the dust in the case?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Raged_Fanatic is still being judged by the masses

Filters block air flow anyway.
Raged_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raged_Fanatic View Post
Filters block air flow anyway.
I'll take restricted airflow over dust inside the case though.
did you build your new system yet NYheck?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

On the P180 be sure you get a PSU that uses inline fans and not a bttom feeding fan. I use the Smartpower II 500 and it is like a wind tunnel in my lower bay.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
On the P180 be sure you get a PSU that uses inline fans and not a bttom feeding fan. I use the Smartpower II 500 and it is like a wind tunnel in my lower bay.
I bought the OCZ Gamerxstream 700w, it's a bottom feeder but I wanted a Fortron based powersupply.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:39 PM   #11
NYHecK

Subscriber

Guys i've already built the system with the 900. Air flow is fantastic. 2 120mm fans in the front, 1 on the side and 1 on the back plus the 200mm fan up top. As of right now after having my pc on for about 10 hours I'm sitting at 30 degrees celcius for the cpu and 31 for the motherboard (northbridge I guess).

That's with a crazy overclock on my processor
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:41 AM   #12
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Guys i've already built the system with the 900. Air flow is fantastic. 2 120mm fans in the front, 1 on the side and 1 on the back plus the 200mm fan up top. As of right now after having my pc on for about 10 hours I'm sitting at 30 degrees celcius for the cpu and 31 for the motherboard (northbridge I guess).

I just got my Antec Nine Hundred today, upgraded from the Antec P180. I couldn't stand the P180 at all. Trust me, you made the right choice.

My CPU is at 35C and motherboard is 29C. I added a spare 120mm Antec TriCool fan from my old P180 for the side panel.

Now I am waiting on my Thermaltake TMG-AT1 for my X1900XT to cool and silence things down even more. My last replacement must is my OCZ PowerStream 520. It is much too loud for this case.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:51 AM   #13
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Wrong call man. The P180 is a POS. I don't think I've ever spoken to a satisfied P180 owner.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

I was actually considering picking up the Antec 900 case but the one thing i dont like about it is the power supply location. Sure its sweet having that big ass 200mm fan at the top but im just not too keen on where the PS sits and cable management.....

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:19 AM   #15
311Sam
look for The Light

311Sam is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
So nobody can answer my original question about the dust in the case?
I love the filters on my Lian-Li. If you don't have filters and live in a house with carpet then you are in for it.

My last house didn't have carpet. I cleaned the inside of my case like once a year. Really not dirty at all. Even the filters did not get that dirty. I cleaned them like once every 6 months. In houses with carpet I have to clean the filters like once a month. In my grandma's house I had to clean them atleast every 3 weeks (nasty)
311Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:39 AM   #16
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Wrong call man. The P180 is a POS. I don't think I've ever spoken to a satisfied P180 owner.
And what were these issues?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:17 PM   #17
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Most complaints were related to the bottom bay for the PSU and HDs, IIRC. I really don't remember what they were specifically, however. I'll have to ask a couple of friends what their issues with the P180 were again. Let me get back to you on that one
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:26 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:21 AM   #19
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
1. Front door ended up not only being far too useless/overkill but it warped.
2. Front grills + filters restricted all air flow for intake.
3. Chamber system flawed. Lower chamber power cabling prevents use of lower PCI slots and doesn't work well with longer power supplies. Lower HDD cage flawed, very cramped for ATA wiring. Fan should have been placed in front of the bay.
4. Too damn big and bulky for only supporting 6 HDDs.
5. Top vent cover very flimsy, ended up breaking on me.
6. Silicone feet fell off.
7. For 3x 120mm fans in the upper chamber, temperatures were far too high. Probably due to front grill being too restrictive.
8. Duct system worthless.

That's just too much for me to consider a case to be good. Good concept and initial impression but long term I grew quite sick and was very eager to replace it. The Antec Nine Hundred came along and I am finally pleased with a case from Antec (I also had a Sonata II that pissed me off).
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:33 AM   #20
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Hello, I am a satisfied P180 owner.

I actually bought a Nine Hundred a couple months ago but, after inspecting it and reading some reviews, returned it. Several issues convinced me that it simply wasn't to the standard I've come to expect out of Antec chassis.

Instead of reposting, I'll simply quote what I said in another forum elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine
Yeah, this is a pretty sweet deal. Unfortunately I'm passing until Antec remedies some of the issues with the case. I actually bought one last week but ended up returning it after reading the reviews. Its a great idea, but for some reason Antec went backward in some areas that have made me choose them over all others for quite some time. The filtering, or lack thereof, is certainly one of them - the review at bjorn3d details how quickly this chassis fills with dust w/ those monster fans and no filtering. Other things I appreciate about recent Antec cases include the drive rail system and easy access/removal to components. Unfortunately the 900 lacks these features as well and, according to the review as well as my inspection, makes things like installing drives a huge PITA.

There are some issues that Antec has already committed to fixing in the next version of this case. Hopefully those fixes will bring the 900 to the level of quality and ease of use that I've come to expect out of Antec. If so, I'll be first in line. But for now? I'll pass. My existing SuperLanboy and P180 are still more than adequate.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:53 AM   #21
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
HI, happy P180 user here

The bottom mount PSU and HDs has been no issues. As I stated above I use an inline cooling PSU and my HD stay super cool.

As for the other complaints listed, the dorr has worked fine for me, guess I dont kick my PC around enough

The filters are fine if you know to clean them once a month, with them in place I have NEVER had to blow out my case, nice and clean

The chamber ssytem has worked well for my and I have full use of all my slots. The lower chamber works fine with the fan in it but I took it out. The PSU fan does a good enough job pulling air for me.

The duct system is worthless and Antec has acknowledged that. As for temps my system stays very stable with only 130F under full serious load on the CPU with a stock fan setup.

Top vent cover is a bit weak but again I dont pound on my PC top much so mine has not yet broked. (Side note if you kick and beat your PC is that PC abuse?)

As for the feet falling off, I did have one fall off, but then again I have had this happen on EVERY case I have ever owned, not a biggy.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:41 AM   #22
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

True. I never put the duct system in after the initial config. Didn't look like it'd gain me much if anything, especially seeing how worthless the similar system in the Sonata2 was, and was just in the way. Yeah, few things I'd add or change (metal hooks for the side panels, fan guards, bassackward toolkit design), but overall its a fantastic chassis.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:08 AM   #23
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread TOO much but i was actually comparing the Antec 900 to this one by Thermaltake... the Armour VA8003BWS..

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...s.asp#overview

Which one is better? i kinda like the one by Thermaltake better but the case size is HUGE!!

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:27 AM   #24
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
1. Front door ended up not only being far too useless/overkill but it warped.
2. Front grills + filters restricted all air flow for intake.
3. Chamber system flawed. Lower chamber power cabling prevents use of lower PCI slots and doesn't work well with longer power supplies. Lower HDD cage flawed, very cramped for ATA wiring. Fan should have been placed in front of the bay.
4. Too damn big and bulky for only supporting 6 HDDs.
5. Top vent cover very flimsy, ended up breaking on me.
6. Silicone feet fell off.
7. For 3x 120mm fans in the upper chamber, temperatures were far too high. Probably due to front grill being too restrictive.
8. Duct system worthless.

That's just too much for me to consider a case to be good. Good concept and initial impression but long term I grew quite sick and was very eager to replace it. The Antec Nine Hundred came along and I am finally pleased with a case from Antec (I also had a Sonata II that pissed me off).
Most of these are non issues for me, and the new revision for the P180 has a aluminum front so the warping issues are gone. Besides, if you have the first revision you can contact Antec and they'll send you a whole new front panel for free. Dey be tight like dat!
But thanks for your input.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:17 PM   #25
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Most of these are non issues for me, and the new revision for the P180 has a aluminum front so the warping issues are gone. Besides, if you have the first revision you can contact Antec and they'll send you a whole new front panel for free. Dey be tight like dat!
But thanks for your input.
Wow, so they fixed the damn door which resolves 1/8th of the problems I had with the case. That's really worth me keeping it and saying it's superior to the Nine Hundred.

How are those problems non-issues for you? How do you get air intake if the fan is on low and the front vent and filter restrict it? The only way is to remove the filter and leave the vent open like I did or by putting that front fan on high, which due to the square holes and vent creates a loud whining noise. Yeah, that's effective design right there.

The entire lower chamber is flawed and I couldn't even use a fan with it when I installed my OCZ PowerStream inside.

The Nine Hundred is as quiet as the P180 yet cools more effectively and is lighter and a smaller case. It has 2x120mm fans to provide intake, the P180 cannot top that. It has a 120mm and 200mm fan for exhaust, the P180 cannot top that. The HDD cages have the fans in front and the HDDs are secured directly to the cage to help transfer heat and keep my HDDs ice cold, the P180 cannot top that. There is no poorly designed vent and filter to restrict airflow. The feet are solid rubber and I've tried ripping them off and they won't come off, the P180 cannot top that.

Of course you can't speak from experience because you've never had both the Antec Nine Hundred and P180 to compare. You don't even know what benefits you are missing.

Quote:
The bottom mount PSU and HDs has been no issues. As I stated above I use an inline cooling PSU and my HD stay super cool.
Inline cooling PSU? What is that? My PSU has 2x 80mm fans. That's not going to bring enough cool air into that lower chamber to cool 4 HDDs, especially with all the cabling that you can't really fix because of the middle fan.

The entire lower chamber is flawed, always was and always will be.

Quote:
As for the other complaints listed, the dorr has worked fine for me, guess I dont kick my PC around enough
Warping is caused by room temperature changes, colder and warmer. I didn't kick anything around. It warped on it's own.

Quote:
The filters are fine if you know to clean them once a month, with them in place I have NEVER had to blow out my case, nice and clean
Okay, put the fan on low and put the filter on and close the vent. How much air is coming inside? Maybe 10CFM at most?

Quote:
The chamber ssytem has worked well for my and I have full use of all my slots. The lower chamber works fine with the fan in it but I took it out. The PSU fan does a good enough job pulling air for me.
I couldn't use the fan with my OCZ PSU installed. It just wouldn't fit. A low RPM PSU fan at the back of the chamber really won't cool 4 hot HDDs at the front of the chamber.

Quote:
The duct system is worthless and Antec has acknowledged that. As for temps my system stays very stable with only 130F under full serious load on the CPU with a stock fan setup.
I don't do Fahrenheit. Sorry, can you give me Celsius?

Quote:
Top vent cover is a bit weak but again I dont pound on my PC top much so mine has not yet broked. (Side note if you kick and beat your PC is that PC abuse?)
It's rather poor of you to assume that I beat my case. What type of person are you?

Quote:
As for the feet falling off, I did have one fall off, but then again I have had this happen on EVERY case I have ever owned, not a biggy.
The P180 is the first case I've ever had a foot fall off of. In the end, 2 of them fell off and so I ended up ripping the other 2 off.

Guess what? I tried to rip the feet off of the Nine Hundred and no matter what they wouldn't come off! Wow, amazing concept that not only will they not fall off but I couldn't even rip them off!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:30 PM   #26
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Nit picking. I can nit pick a bunch of stuff about the Antec 900 but I'm not going to do that because I don't really care that much. The P180 looks nice, it does the job for me. I have a very minimalistic system with a single hard-drive and a single expansion card which is the videocard.
Have a good one.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:46 PM   #27
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Nit picking. I can nit pick a bunch of stuff about the Antec 900 but I'm not going to do that because I don't really care that much. The P180 looks nice, it does the job for me. I have a very minimalistic system with a single hard-drive and a single expansion card which is the videocard.
Have a good one.
So it's not nit picking because you don't even know what it's like to fill up the P180 with more than a single HDD and video card. Start adding something real to that case and you'll find out the same problems I had.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:21 PM   #28
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
So it's not nit picking because you don't even know what it's like to fill up the P180 with more than a single HDD and video card. Start adding something real to that case and you'll find out the same problems I had.
Check my siggy. My P180 chock full of yummies. Yeah, space between the bottom hdd chassis & the fan is too tight. Why Antec didn't throw a fan grill in there is beyond me, but that was an easy fix. Hopefully future revisions will remedy that. Doesn't the upper cage support 4x drives too? I don't have mine in there since all 4x of mine reside in the bottom chassis.

Last edited by Lupine : Feb 1, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:59 PM   #29
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Check my siggy. My P180 chock full of yummies. Yeah, space between the bottom hdd chassis & the fan is too tight. Why Antec didn't throw a fan grill in there is beyond me, but that was an easy fix. Hopefully future revisions will remedy that. Doesn't the upper cage support 4x drives too? I don't have mine in there since all 4x of mine reside in the bottom chassis.
The upper cage supports 2 HDDs. Of course if you put some there it will further block the mere 10CFM of airflow and also blow warmed air to the CPU and video card area, which is the exact opposite of the purpose behind the lower chamber.

I personally think that the P180 was a rushed design. It has positives, don't get me wrong, but compared to the Nine Hundred it just has too many negatives.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:20 PM   #30
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
The upper cage supports 2 HDDs. Of course if you put some there it will further block the mere 10CFM of airflow and also blow warmed air to the CPU and video card area, which is the exact opposite of the purpose behind the lower chamber.

I personally think that the P180 was a rushed design. It has positives, don't get me wrong, but compared to the Nine Hundred it just has too many negatives.
No, I think you bring up some valid complaints. No chassis is perfect and perhaps if I were using the P180 for an enthusiast box rather than a server chassis I would be more critical. But for my usage environment, it is a very nice solution.