Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nothvice
Radeon R200

nothvice is still being judged by the masses

Default A good case

Hello. I am considering upgrading my Ultra Wizard case to a better case. I have looked at the Coolmaster Stacker, Thermaltake Armor, and the Antec Nine-Hundred. Which of those, or another one, do you think is the best? Any opinions would be great. Thanks.
nothvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

As I just wrote out a detailed description in another thread I will just link to it. HERE
The entire thread HERE

And to add a correction to it...it has 92mm fans not 80mm fans.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Antec P180B, Just put it together, Very nice. Get the black one as it is a version 1.1 which fixes all the version 1 problems. Buying the silver one is a crap shot in weather your going to get the version 1.0 or 1.1.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Raged_Fanatic is still being judged by the masses

I own and highly recommend the Antec Nine Hundred. Out of all the cases I have owned (Chieftec Dragon, Antec Sonata II, Antec P180) this is the only one to make me happy. Check out a review here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
As I just wrote out a detailed description in another thread I will just link to it. HERE
The entire thread HERE

Uber, I just have one thought about your personal review...

Cons....I have yet to find one with this case.

You know, I find it hard to believe that nothing has a flaw. I looked at the TT Armor case in CompUSA and spoted many flaws.

1. The front flaps. What are they for again? They have no use?
2. 3 exhaust fans and one intake fan? Does that sound right? My Nine Hundred has 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust (one being 200mm). I think that concept is flawed, to try to cool on mostly exhaust.
3. Flipping the PSU sideways and putting an exhaust fan next to it? That makes the case taller.
4. What's with the top flap thing covering the USB/audio connectors?
5. That large of a case and it only supports 3 internal 3.5-inch bays? The Antec Nine Hundred has 6 internal.

I don't know, I just didn't like the case at all. I picked the display model up and I didn't even like the overall build quality of it. $180 for the case too? Unreal.

Last edited by Raged_Fanatic : Feb 11, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
Raged_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Hell_Razor
h3lln1nj4

Hell_Razor is still being judged by the masses

i mentioned in another thread as well that the silverstone tj09 is a nice option as well, but if you had to choose from the ones you mentioned, antec 900 is great.
Hell_Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell_Razor View Post
i mentioned in another thread as well that the silverstone tj09 is a nice option as well, but if you had to choose from the ones you mentioned, antec 900 is great.
Tack on this deal that someone found...

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=342484

It's a $140 case with 3x120mm fans and a 200mm fan for $65. You can't beat that anywhere else.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:41 AM   #7
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Antec P180B, Just put it together, Very nice. Get the black one as it is a version 1.1 which fixes all the version 1 problems. Buying the silver one is a crap shot in weather your going to get the version 1.0 or 1.1.
I have that same case and IMO it's the best PC case i have ever had and i have used and owned many cases .

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:24 AM   #8
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raged_Fanatic View Post
I own and highly recommend the Antec Nine Hundred. Out of all the cases I have owned (Chieftec Dragon, Antec Sonata II, Antec P180) this is the only one to make me happy. Check out a review here.

You know, I find it hard to believe that nothing has a flaw. I looked at the TT Armor case in CompUSA and spoted many flaws.

2. 3 exhaust fans and one intake fan? Does that sound right? My Nine Hundred has 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust (one being 200mm). I think that concept is flawed, to try to cool on mostly exhaust.
3. Flipping the PSU sideways and putting an exhaust fan next to it? That makes the case taller.
5. That large of a case and it only supports 3 internal 3.5-inch bays? The Antec Nine Hundred has 6 internal.

I don't know, I just didn't like the case at all. I picked the display model up and I didn't even like the overall build quality of it. $180 for the case too? Unreal.
I'm not sure what your talking about with the flaps....

The entire front part of the case is a grid for maximum air flow. Having 3 exhaust fans and on intake is just fine as the 3 are pulling air through the case.

Yes flipping the PSU sideways does make the case a bit taller but not to much to make it ugly or to much as it is a full tower making it already a large case, and it adds removable HD tray next to it. Keeps them out of the air flow from the front of the case and pulls the heat from the HD's straight out of the case. Great idea and easy access to the HD's.

The top flap covering the USB connections....just what it is. I see nothing wrong with it.

You have 6 3.5 bays. With the ability to add 6 more. 3 in the detachable HD tray up top and 3 more with the fan assembly.

I'm not sure what "Build quality" your actually pointing out. Cause both the Aluminum and steel versions are very sturdy and strong cases. Mine has traveled to many-o-lan party's and has been torn apart and rebuilt many-o-times.

And I didn't say the case doesn't have any flaws. I just that "I" have yet to find an issue of my own with this case. It has met my standards very well and I am a very picky person about the little details of a case. The one thing I look at when I am gazing at new cases if the freedom I will have within the case(room) and then it's the air flow and where I would hide wires. If it does not meet my standards I pass. This case IMO has met those standards plus some and I have yet to find a case that beets this one...IMO!!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:36 AM   #9
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Cons....I have yet to find one with this case.

1. Design. And they protect the front of the case.
They can be removed if so desired.

2. Airflow works fine w/ the one 120mm front fan, the one back 120mm, & the two 92mm exhausts.
If you really want, another 120mm can be added to the front if another iCage is purchased.

3. Making the case taller isn't a drawback, it allows for a decently spacious interior, unlike your beloved Antec Cramped Hundred

4. It's protective plastic cover lol, so dust, etc. doesn't fall in.

5. There are six 3.5 HDDs bays by default, eight if you count the useable floppy tray & power button tray.
Three in rear cage; three + two in front. And you can get a second or even third front iCage if wanted, allowing for a maximum of 13 HDDs!
How many did the amazing Nine Hundred fit again?

While i do think the Nine Hundred is a decent mid size case overall, it's not really in the same league as the Armor series.

Nothing you pointed out is actually a "flaw". Just dislikes of yours...

n7

n7

Last edited by -n7- : Feb 12, 2007 at 01:39 AM.
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:38 AM   #10
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

LOL Tiny, i think we both composed out posts about the same time

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:57 AM   #11
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
LOL Tiny, i think we both composed out posts about the same time
Maybe that was the error I was getting when trying to post.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I have that same case and IMO it's the best PC case i have ever had and i have used and owned many cases .
Having come from only cheap ass cases this thing is a rollsroyce. Temps are down 10c throughout as well.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:57 PM   #13
nothvice
Radeon R200

Hello. I haven't really decided yet. Although I do admit that $65 for a $130 case (Nine-Hundred) is a good deal. I like the way the nine-hundred and armor look. However, I have some thoughts on the Nine-Hundred. I don't know if any of this matters, but I will bring it up anyway. The 900 has a 200mm top fan while the armor I think only has a 92mm. I do like the fact in the 900 that is has the option of having a 120mm inside the case for intake or outake. A question on the Armor. Does it have the option of mounting fans inside it? I must say though that I am impressed by the Armors internal configuration. I don't really care where the power supply is. Does it really matter? The P180b doesn't look too bad either. Any opinions or comments on any of this are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by nothvice : Feb 12, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:04 PM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Not a big fan of the case (pun intended ), but yes that's a great deal on the 900 (see my 900 for-sale link if anyone doesn't know of this deal).

Have you looked at the Cooler Master Mystique? SVC has a great deal going on those as well. On sale for $44.99 less $15 MIR plus S&H:

Silver / Black / Black w/ window

Last edited by Lupine : Feb 12, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:34 PM   #15
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I just put together a Antec P180 also (silver one). How do I know if I go the 1.0 or 1.1 version?

Not that it matters now, but I'm curious.

Thanks

btw, it is an awesome case, lovin' it!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I just put together a Antec P180 also (silver one). How do I know if I go the 1.0 or 1.1 version?

Not that it matters now, but I'm curious.

Thanks

btw, it is an awesome case, lovin' it!
It does say it around the UPC bar code, Also door and side panels are reinforced with steel as to stop the warping that was occurring for some people as well as some people having problems breaking the door to easily. Also the Graphics card vent was removed from the 1.1 as it appeared from many reviews to not be worth much of anything or had to be removed anyways.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:45 PM   #17
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
It does say it around the UPC bar code, Also door and side panels are reinforced with steel as to stop the warping that was occurring for some people as well as some people having problems breaking the door to easily. Also the Graphics card vent was removed from the 1.1 as it appeared from many reviews to not be worth much of anything or had to be removed anyways.

In fact, I just confirmed w/ Antec that they're shipping me a replacement left side panel and front door panel because of the warping issue. Antec's customer service is yet another reason I still tend to buy their products.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:56 PM   #18
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
The entire thread HERE

I picked up the side panel with the 230mm fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:42 PM   #19
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Thermaltake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA Black/Silver Aluminum Extrusion ATX Full Tower Computer Case with liquid cooling system - Retail

$429.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133171
http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase.../vb5001sna.htm

This is one great case!
I have two of them....

Reviews:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...Chi/index.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...ke-taichi.html
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:20 PM   #20
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure what your talking about with the flaps....

The entire front part of the case is a grid for maximum air flow. Having 3 exhaust fans and on intake is just fine as the 3 are pulling air through the case.
The front flaps that flip around and do nothing. When I saw those in the store I nearly laughed.

Intake fans provide better cooling than exhaust fans do. It's good to have balance for proper air flow but intake fans are what really bring the cool air in.

Quote:
Yes flipping the PSU sideways does make the case a bit taller but not to much to make it ugly or to much as it is a full tower making it already a large case, and it adds removable HD tray next to it. Keeps them out of the air flow from the front of the case and pulls the heat from the HD's straight out of the case. Great idea and easy access to the HD's.
So putting a HDD tray next to it is going to add more heat to the CPU area?

Quote:
The top flap covering the USB connections....just what it is. I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't like flappy things. That's all. I have always preferred open access to my USB/audio connectors.

Quote:
You have 6 3.5 bays. With the ability to add 6 more. 3 in the detachable HD tray up top and 3 more with the fan assembly.
Ah, good. 3 would have been bad for a full tower.

Quote:
I'm not sure what "Build quality" your actually pointing out. Cause both the Aluminum and steel versions are very sturdy and strong cases. Mine has traveled to many-o-lan party's and has been torn apart and rebuilt many-o-times.
I don't know, it just felt very fake and weakly structured to me.

Quote:
And I didn't say the case doesn't have any flaws. I just that "I" have yet to find an issue of my own with this case. It has met my standards very well and I am a very picky person about the little details of a case. The one thing I look at when I am gazing at new cases if the freedom I will have within the case(room) and then it's the air flow and where I would hide wires. If it does not meet my standards I pass. This case IMO has met those standards plus some and I have yet to find a case that beets this one...IMO!!
Have you owned an Antec Nine Hundred?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:18 PM   #21
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
*snip*

I checked one out. Didnt like it.

I dont like the style of those cases. I dont much prefer many Antec styles.

Antec cases have some decent build quality. Not any better or worse than the Armors.

You need to make more sense when you post.
Quote:
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:32 AM   #22
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
I checked one out. Didnt like it.

I dont like the style of those cases. I dont much prefer many Antec styles.

Antec cases have some decent build quality. Not any better or worse than the Armors.

You need to make more sense when you post.*
Those style? The Armor is similar, just larger and lacking certain features. I have no complaints about the build quality at all of the Nine Hundred. Nothing was dangling on the inside when I got it. Everything fit as it should. It's sturdy and doesn't rattle. Everything is braced. The edges are rolled. Everything worked after assembly. Nothing has fallen off since assembling it.

*Save the trolling attempts for someone else.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:37 AM   #23
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Those style? The Armor is similar, just larger and lacking certain features. I have no complaints about the build quality at all of the Nine Hundred. Nothing was dangling on the inside when I got it. Everything fit as it should. It's sturdy and doesn't rattle. Everything is braced. The edges are rolled. Everything worked after assembly. Nothing has fallen off since assembling it.

*Save the trolling attempts for someone else.
Perhaps you yourself should stop trolling. Im glad that you like your Antec.
Quote:
Old Feb 13, 2007, 01:44 PM   #24
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

personally im a fan of the antec solution series.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93000

does what it's supposed to do and at a fairly decent price. ($30.00)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:26 PM   #25
nothvice
Radeon R200

Hello. Anyone have any other thoughts on the p180 series from antec. I looked at that a little bit and the interiour looks nice except I am a little concerned able the power supply area in it. It seems a little cramped, but looks like it works well if the PSU fits and after messing with the cables. Any other Coolmaster models that anyone recommends? I also say a Thermaltake Armor Junior. It looks like a smaller version, but does anyone have one of those? Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:28 PM   #26
Lupine
Administrator

Speaking of Antec, the Solo is on sale for $40 AR w/ free shipping right now at Frys:

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op...06&sku=4895610

Rebate: http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/reba...610_020907.pdf

Should work at Frys physical locations too.

EDIT: hold on a sec! I'm hearing now that the Solo is already on sale for $59.99 at the B&M stores and, since the rebate is valid at B&Ms as well, you could conceivably get this case for $19.99 AR at the B&Ms!

Last edited by Lupine : Feb 13, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:53 PM   #27
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
The front flaps that flip around and do nothing. When I saw those in the store I nearly laughed.
Yes those flaps....I removed mine and plan on replacing the empty spots with an acrylic tube with lights on either end. I'll get around to it some time.

Quote:
Intake fans provide better cooling than exhaust fans do. It's good to have balance for proper air flow but intake fans are what really bring the cool air in.
Your wrong actually. Either do just as much work. It's all about negative and positive air pressure. With all the fans pulling there is a negative pressure build meaning it is pulling air through. If there were more fans in the front than back it is a positive pressure meaning it is pushing air through. Like making all the fans blow in would most likely give you an equal pressure making the flow of air almost nothing and not properly cooling the system.

Quote:
So putting a HDD tray next to it is going to add more heat to the CPU area?
Umm...heat rises!!

That and the fan right behing the HD's pull the heat straight off the Hd's and out of the case. No heat soaking anything plus it is good for the HD's by keeping them cooler.

Quote:
I don't like flappy things. That's all. I have always preferred open access to my USB/audio connectors.
Well...duno what to tell you then.
Remove the flap.

Quote:
I don't know, it just felt very fake and weakly structured to me.
This case is by far a week or poorly put together case. But that is your personal opinion!

Quote:
No...But I have owned and worked on other Antec cases and I do not like them.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:41 PM   #28
nothvice
Radeon R200

Hello. Well CompUSA is out of the case and the rebate ends today. I don't know if they $89 will stick, but its sold out none the less. So now since the 900 and armor and others are all about the same price, I just have to keep looking and them and eventually decide. So many different cases to choose from.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:42 PM   #29
Raged_Fanatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Perhaps you yourself should stop trolling. Im glad that you like your Antec.
I'm not trolling. I'm merely posting my opinions on a case. I'm not insulting anyone, like saying that their posts make no sense. Nobody said that we had to agree on anything but no need to judge the "sense making" of someone's posting when it's in plain English.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:55 PM   #30
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
I'm not trolling. I'm merely posting my opinions on a case. I'm not insulting anyone, like saying that their posts make no sense. Nobody said that we had to agree on anything but no need to judge the "sense making" of someone's posting when it's in plain English.
ok.
Quote: