Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Default 1st time DS recommendations please

hey people

i'm buying a ds lite this saturday and i thought i would pick up a couple of games to start off. i have absolutely no idea about ds games except that i've heard of nintendogs and thats about it. i'd appreciate recommendations for a first timer. i've heard of:

nintendogs
mario kart ds
metroid prime hunters
castlevania

which of these (or any others) would you pick and why?

note that i am looking for better singleplayer experiences because none of my friends have a ds for multiplayer.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 04:24 PM   #2
KMax
I'm Just a Typical

KMax is still being judged by the masses

Metroid Prime Hunters is fun, but it's more a multiplayer game IMO.

I would recommend both Castlevania's for Singleplayer, they are great!

I love Final Fantasy III, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, New Super Mario Bros., Contact, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Kirby Canvas Curse, Megaman ZX, Nanostray, Sonic Rush, and Yoshi's Island 2.

Those are my favorites right now.

::Heatware:: 69-0-0 // ::Wii Friend Code:: 1304 0169 4539 7606 // ::PS3 & Xbox 360 Tag:: Rezeph
KMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Dodongo77
Radeon Evergreen

Dodongo77 is still being judged by the masses

Elite Beat Agents. Not a "deep" game but very, very fun.
Dodongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:51 AM   #4
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Phoenix Wright! Awesome game, being a lawyer was never so much fun!

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5
bearxor
IT STINKS!!!

bearxor is still being judged by the masses

It's nearly impossible to get a hold of a copy of Phoneix Wright retail so that's usually out.

Elite Beat agents provides hours of fun.

Castlevania is Castlevania - you either like it or you don't. I don't.
Same with Mario Kart, franchise has been around enough where you know if you're going to like it. I've heard that PoR is an excellent entry in to the Castlevania series and Mario Kart DS is definitely an excellent entry in to the series.

MPH is OK but is a little boring. I've heard good thing about nintendogs but never picked it up.

Brain Age is nice for the sudoku puzzles. That will keep you occupied for a while.

Mario 64 is an excellent play, as always, but the DS Lite does not come with the thumb strap that is essential to play the game, IMHO. You can always buy one third party though.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
gmontem
Rage3D Veteran

gmontem is still being judged by the masses

Elite Beat Agents FTW! Giving rep points to those who recommend EBA. YMMV but I have never replayed a recent game as much as EBA... with the exception of Guitar Hero 2. I'm currently in the last half of the final level of EBA as the Elite Beat Divas (4-star difficulty).
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:07 PM   #7
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

I would add Final Fantasy III and Animal Crossing: Wild World to that list.

New Super Mario Brothers is a lot of fun as well.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:21 AM   #8
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

thanks for the tips guys. it feels really bad when i don't know anything about anything related to these games. i guess it'll be an on the spot decision when i'm picking up the ds.

edit: just to mention, i am interested in the games which offer an innovative/interesting/different type of gameplay from what is normal. that would be nice.

Last edited by spindoctor : Dec 28, 2006 at 12:23 AM.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
thanks for the tips guys. it feels really bad when i don't know anything about anything related to these games. i guess it'll be an on the spot decision when i'm picking up the ds.

edit: just to mention, i am interested in the games which offer an innovative/interesting/different type of gameplay from what is normal. that would be nice.
might wanna try
Phoenix Wright, ace attourney
Elite Beat Agents
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
any wario ware game
Kirby Canvas Course
hmm, what else
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:45 AM   #10
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

It should be stated that the castlevaina games are the quality, 2d ones and not the 3d ones

Meteos is also fun for a good puzzler that makes good use of the stylus, Tetris ds as well if your in a tetrisy mood (with online play)

Metriod prime hunters..well it's not bad for a quick fps fix on the go, but has a habit of cramping my hand (oringal ds here)

I've also heard good things about yoshi's island 2 as well

tetris, mario kart, animal crossing, and mp:h all have online play, so who needs friends? Wireless internet ftw! (animal crossing requires tradeing friend codes with other players however..that can be done over plain ol' im-ing or whatever for distant friends who might have it)
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:38 AM   #11
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

i love the wario series ... i love it i love it i love it ... very very unique ; very very fun

kinda reminds me of the jackass movies

gonna have to give this EBA game a try
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:35 PM   #12
Crash_Site
Radeon R420

Crash_Site is still being judged by the masses

I have never played Animal Crossing... on the GC or DS, which is why I am thinking of getting it since so many people are recommending it. I keep thinking of it as a game for children, yet people keep saying the opposite.

I am personally looking for games that are big time wasters. Games that I can play for awhile and play them over and over again. Anyone have any insane games like that they like and would recommend?
CPU: I5 3570K - Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 - RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1833Mhz - GPU: Sapphire 7950 HD OC - HD: Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB SSD - 1 TB WD Cavier Black - PSU: Corsair 650W TX 80+ Bronze - OS: Windows 8 64-Bit
Crash_Site is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am currently enjoying Trace Memory.
If you like graphic adventure and mystery you would like this game.

The nice anime graphics are cool as well!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Badaro is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I am currently enjoying Trace Memory.
If you like graphic adventure and mystery you would like this game.

The nice anime graphics are cool as well!!
Trace Memory is alright, buy waaaayyy too short. I beat 6 or 7 hours the first time I played.

[]s Badaro
Badaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:46 AM   #15
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaro View Post
Trace Memory is alright, buy waaaayyy too short. I beat 6 or 7 hours the first time I played.

[]s Badaro
Wow I could never look at that small screen for that long. I like to play in like 5 to 15 min sittings.

Any why what other games did you like that where graphic adventure? The DS seems to be the perfect machine for hand held graphic adventure games.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:23 PM   #16
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Quote:
Wow I could never look at that small screen for that long. I like to play in like 5 to 15 min sittings.
Bad choice of words on my part, I meant to say that my first playthrought took a total of 6-7 hours. I didn't play it for six straight hours.

The only games that I can stand playing for that long nowadays are the Super Robot Taisen games.

Quote:
Any why what other games did you like that where graphic adventure? The DS seems to be the perfect machine for hand held graphic adventure games.
Both Phoenix Wright games are awesome.

[]s Badaro
Old Apr 6, 2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

Another vote from me for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

I thought it looked silly but then my GFs mom bought it, so I decided to give it a try. I was hooked immediately.....Just wish I could find the first one.

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 08:04 PM   #18
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig39 View Post
I thought it looked silly but then my GFs mom bought it, so I decided to give it a try. I was hooked immediately.....Just wish I could find the first one.
Is the first one that rare? Guess I got lucky than, I bought mine brand-new last december.

[]s Badaro
Old Apr 7, 2007, 08:23 PM   #19
bearxor
IT STINKS!!!

bearxor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaro View Post
Is the first one that rare? Guess I got lucky than, I bought mine brand-new last december.

[]s Badaro
Yes. They didn't make very many because they didn't know how successful it would be and sometime in August/Sept they made a second bathc of about 10k, IIRC. I checked everywhere and couldn't find one then.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Suggestion for anyone who isn't afraid of playing games in japanese: Get Super Robot Taisen W. This game rocks.

[]s Badaro
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:14 PM   #21
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Damn didn't know Phoenix Wright was that rare

Good thing i got it then . Got 1 and 2, both awesome games.

Castlevania however is my fav games on the DS, both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin kick ass!

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Good thing i got it then . Got 1 and 2, both awesome games.
And they just announced the 3rd game for September.

[]s Badaro
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:51 PM   #23
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Mario Kart = awesome multiplayer action
Both Castlevanias are great!
Brain Age and the other mind training game is quite fun
Tetris
Final Fantasy III
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
I enjoy Nintendogs too it's my gf's.....really
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote