Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
tgg
Radeon R600

tgg is still being judged by the masses

Default question about shimmering, jittering, combing with some ps3 games.....

I have a ps3 and have a handfull of demos for now, I did have full version of call of duty 4 and I'll get to that game soon.

Issue or question maybe its not an issue just a natural occurance. How come some games have shimmering/jitter/combing effect and or artifacts?

I say all those words because i'm not sure what you truly call the issue right now. The way i can describe the way those words look like ingame is like for example resistance fall of man, when moving the screen left and right "horizontaly" what I see is whatever still image/object in the back ground like a rock, pole, buildings, window celings, parked cars, statues whatever even moving things. What I see it go out of focus, its not still kinda like vibrates, its just not a clear still image.

Games that have this issue are: Stuntman Ignition, Folklore, Uncharted, TimeShift, EA NHL 2008, EA NBA, Virtual tennis 3, PS2 Code veronica, pS2 Hitman 2 silent assasins might be more forgot....

But theres some games that dont have that like, ninja gaiden sigma, ridge racer 7, ps2 game god of war 1, Ratchet clank, Call of duty 4.

Anyone know whats going on?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Its called Vsync.

Most games that run with 30fps cap use this method to stabilize frame rate and to reduce image tearing when Vsync is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_synchronization
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:57 AM   #3
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

NEODARK is still being judged by the masses

it could also be that you are seeing interlacing artifacts when panning around... (is your display 1080i)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:49 AM   #4
SpeckledJim
Radeon Northern Islands

SpeckledJim is still being judged by the masses

I'm guessing he's seeing afterimage artefacts, not interlace ones, from games that are running at 30fps or below. The ones that don't exhibit it are running at 60fps.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:52 PM   #5
tgg
Radeon R600

Ok for everyone that replyed, I'n not talking about tearing I know what that looks like because from being a pc tech, pc gamer, and god of war 1 and 2 gamer heheh, as you know god of war tears alot. But i'm not a tv or interlace, progresive expert right now.

You know i'm waiting for someone to try one of those demos that I said I see the issues to see for themselfs .

I have a sony wega high scan crt hdtv widescreen 30 inch. the ps3 is connected via hdmi cable running at 1080i. 1080i is running at the main ps3 screen it doesnt mean all games run at 1080i. It does all resolutions except 1080p, and I heard some of these crt hdtvs dont do 720p it'll upconvert it or something like that. So i'm not sure if this tv really does full do 720p.

What I see in games is objects will blur, shimmer, combing, jitter, twitter, vibrate, fuzzy. I'm say all those words because I dont know what its really called and those words will give you an idea what i'm trying to say.

Just please load up resistance demo not full version and when you start the first mission, just stand still basically and move the camera left and right while looking/staring at an object like a pole, rock, enemies etc and you'll see it get out of focus, it doesnt stay still.

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:56 PM   #6
tgg
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgg View Post
Ok for everyone that replyed, I'n not talking about tearing I know what that looks like because from being a pc tech, pc gamer, and god of war 1 and 2 gamer heheh, as you know god of war tears alot. But i'm not a tv or interlace, progresive expert right now.

You know i'm waiting for someone to try one of those demos that I said I see the issues to see for themselfs .

I have a sony wega high scan crt hdtv widescreen 30 inch. the ps3 is connected via hdmi cable running at 1080i. 1080i is running at the main ps3 screen it doesnt mean all games run at 1080i. It does all resolutions except 1080p, and I heard some of these crt hdtvs dont do 720p it'll upconvert it or something like that. So i'm not sure if this tv really does full do 720p.

What I see in games is objects will blur, shimmer, combing, jitter, twitter, vibrate, fuzzy. I'm say all those words because I dont know what its really called and those words will give you an idea what i'm trying to say.

Just please load up resistance demo not full version and when you start the first mission, just stand still basically and move the camera left and right while looking/staring at an object like a pole, rock, enemies etc and you'll see it get out of focus, it doesnt stay still.

Thanks
I said above that i'm not sure if my tv supports 720p, I dont know maybe it does because when i go into the advance service menu of the tv to adjust things like geometry, the service menu displays what video mode i'm currently running at. So when i load a game like like ninja gaiden sigma, resisntance, motorstorm it says its at 720p.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Closed. See here.
Closed Thread