Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RobcioPL
Radeon R200

RobcioPL is still being judged by the masses

Default Two Power Supplies?

Ok, im in a pickle. My power supply is currently 300W. I want to get a X800 or a X850, but the requirement is 350W+. If I use my stock power supply to power everything but the card, can i have a another power supply that is 300W to power just the graphics card? I know that the graphics card does not use 350W, but other things do use some of it too. How much of it does the card use?
ATi X850xt
RobcioPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You could use two power supplies, but it just doesn't make sense. You first have a problem with them both having to be powered up with the same push of a button. Also, you need room for two power supplies, most cases don't have room.

Also, it isn't that expensive just to get a single more powerful power supply. And it only costs around $100 to get a higher end power supply. No reason to have a nice graphics card and not protect it with a crapola power supply.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:49 AM   #3
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristogod
You could use two power supplies, but it just doesn't make sense. You first have a problem with them both having to be powered up with the same push of a button. Also, you need room for two power supplies, most cases don't have room.

Also, it isn't that expensive just to get a single more powerful power supply. And it only costs around $100 to get a higher end power supply. No reason to have a nice graphics card and not protect it with a crapola power supply.
yeah, not sure about you but I wouldn't want to protect my graphics card with a crapola power supply
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 22, 2005, 02:30 AM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148012 i would highly recommend this PS... its what i run in my system, and its voltages are solid as a rock, great power supply, even comes with an extra 120mm fan and extra fan controller...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5
RobcioPL
Radeon R200

RobcioPL is still being judged by the masses

As cool as it might look, i dont need any lights, because my case has now windows. Wouldnt 550W be going alittle overboard?
ATi X850xt
RobcioPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

who cares about the lights? its a great psu for the price, and no, 550 is not overboard. wouldn't 2 psu's be overboard? my case doesn't have windows either, but i still have one in it(although now the back of my comp is lit up blue )
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobcioPL
Wouldnt 550W be going alittle overboard?

Having enough power is not overboard.

2 power supplies however is.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:17 PM   #8
dddibley
time well wasted

dddibley is still being judged by the masses

Installation issues aside.. you'll need a harness to chain the two together, like they have on the CM Stacker. Here's a link (typical). Haven't read it through but looks doable.

http://www.burningissues.net/how_to/power/psu.htm

ddd
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Moevan1
X800XL

Moevan1 is still being judged by the masses

its still a bit pointless to bother with 2 PSU's. I mean its better to have a solid single unit than to rig a dual PSU setup that really isn't even needed
1024MB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400Mhz running

ATI X800XL 256DDR3 radeon
Moevan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:28 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

2 PSU's make sense for server's where uptime & reliability are important. Not for a desktop rig, unless you happen to have 2 300W PSU's already, and want to use both of them. Get a high power quality unit, you won't reget it. I've got an Ultra XConnect 500, it's great - modular so you can only have the cables you need. Solid rails, too.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Moevan1
X800XL

Moevan1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim
2 PSU's make sense for server's where uptime & reliability are important. Not for a desktop rig, unless you happen to have 2 300W PSU's already, and want to use both of them. Get a high power quality unit, you won't reget it. I've got an Ultra XConnect 500, it's great - modular so you can only have the cables you need. Solid rails, too.
but, we aren't taking about a server. If we were your point would be valid
1024MB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400Mhz running

ATI X800XL 256DDR3 radeon
Moevan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:40 PM   #12
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moevan1
but, we aren't taking about a server. If we were your point would be valid

Also, servers use redundant power supplies. In other words, when one fails, the other takes over.

Two power supplies for a desktop wired together like in the stacker case only allow for both power supplies to power on at the same time. Only one actually powers the motherboard, while the other powers whatever else you connect it to. The second power supply will not take over if the main one fails. So two power supplies in this scenario won't give you any more protection.