Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:28 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Deathwish2000
Radeon R420

Deathwish2000 is still being judged by the masses

Around the ram, it looks a lot busier on the R350 than the R300 board...wonder why that is?
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:42 AM   #62
ArconX
Radeon R520

ArconX is still being judged by the masses

Yep, if you look arround the entire board, it is far more complex then the R300 board. Makes me wonder why the drastic redisign of the board layout? Dont see a reason sinds the current layout can have gpu's running at 400+. Unless this has been done for the memory to scale higher?
ArconX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:46 AM   #63
Crash7
Radeon R700

Crash7 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Nice... but... an intermediate card?

Quote:
Originally posted by skrybe
Why wouldn't they bring out a faster card if they can? Those of us who've already bought a 9700 Pro can skip it but there are a lot of people who were waiting for the release of GFFX before buying a card. So it's perfect timing - those people who haven't already bought now have the choice of a lower cost but still awesome ATI card (the 9700) or they can go the whole hog and buy the 9900. I'd hazard a guess that proportionately speaking Radeon 9700 owners are a tiny percentage of the market at the moment.
Bingo! I'm still running my 8500 here. That R350 is what I have my eye on. If I had a 9700pro, I doubt I'd be looking at an R350.
Crash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:55 AM   #64
R-U-KrayZZ

R-U-KrayZZ is still being judged by the masses

Default umm

Whats a computer?
R-U-KrayZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 09:46 AM   #65
koneill
Radeon R100

koneill is still being judged by the masses

R350 does not = 9900 Pro
koneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 09:58 AM   #66
ArconX
Radeon R520

ArconX is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Re: Nice... but... an intermediate card?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash7
Bingo! I'm still running my 8500 here. That R350 is what I have my eye on. If I had a 9700pro, I doubt I'd be looking at an R350.
That all depends. If you run a TFT, so you need to run at default resolution (what is 1280*1024), that alone is a large hit on your R300. When you enable 4* AA & 16*AF, you are stressing your card very hard. Dont bother running 6 * AA becouse it cripls your system at those settings, i know.

I for one like all the eye candy, and also like a constand high fps. Ive run doom III widout the 1GB footprint (take's a while to find the rigth command's to do it), and i can tell you, that max AA & AF are gone cripple my R300 with doom III (and some other games also).

So i'm looking also at the R350. Ofcourse i'm in a good position becouse a friend of mine want to buy my R300 when i get a R350...

But a R350 is still intresting for people how like to run everything on max settings... even when they have a R300 ..
ArconX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:02 AM   #67
Vanadium
Rage3D Veteran

Vanadium is still being judged by the masses

Hey !
Guys....
Guys , pipe it down. I can't even hear myself think over in the Forum.
Kay.

My AIW ownz you all , by the way
Vanadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:01 AM   #68
MuFu
should be at a lecture

MuFu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratchet
that's a feature connector for daughterboards. Manufacturers can put it there on the R300 if they want, but so far no one has ... which is likely due to the complete lack of R300 daughtercards
There are R300 daughtercards. The FireGL line uses one of them them (SI DVI DC), but I must admit the uptake from AIBs has been disappointing. The RV250 DC's are out there - seen more than one DC-based VIVO solution on pcpop etc.

That DC header on the R350 will probably be removed for production - it's is obviously being used for qualification/verification purposes only because an I/O DC would need component changes and a different backplate.

Quote:
Originally posted by ArconX
Yep, if you look arround the entire board, it is far more complex then the R300 board. Makes me wonder why the drastic redisign of the board layout?
What?! It's not a drastic redesign at all. The board is very similar to the current 942 PCB.

MuFu.
MuFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 01:21 PM   #69
SsP45
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

SsP45 is still being judged by the masses

I really hope they ditch the molex adapter in favour of a 4-pin floppy connector. I don't have an extra molex, but I do have an extra floppy connector since I have no floppy drive.
Radeon 4850s in Crossfire
SsP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 01:27 PM   #70
Hallowed_Point
Radeon R300

Hallowed_Point is still being judged by the masses

I seriously doubt they wont ship this card with a molex extender if this is the case.

I myself prefer the 4-pin molex, more reliable and much easier to *hide* (case modders et. al)

Anyone know if this card has anything other that just higher clockspeed and a teeny bit more DX functionality?
512MB Corsair XMS 3500
Twin Raptors in RAID0
20,020 3DMark2k1
Hallowed_Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 01:43 PM   #71
{Sniping}Waste
Most hated DOD player.

{Sniping}Waste is still being judged by the masses

The heatsink on the R350 is the same on my 9500 non pro. I found out that this heatsink is no good so I replaced it with a AXP cooler. with the old heat sink the max the core would get was 345 but after a hour I would get artifacts. I haven't tested the new heatsink yet but will post in here when I do.
{Sniping}Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:06 PM   #72
hoju22

hey, the r350 doesn't look that much different from the r300. close enough to do a *cough cough* switcheroo at fry's electronics. got myself a 9700p for $150 by "trading" in a 9500np. Guess i'll be making the "upgrade" again for free! muahaahahahahaah!
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:48 PM   #73
Piddyful
Radeon R520

Piddyful is still being judged by the masses

This card should actually use less voltage per mhz than the R300 due to the smaller .13 micron technology. Therefore, they can clock it higher and still have basically the same voltage output I would think. Or even slightly higher if they're going to take it to 400mhz. It'll probably be 375core stock I would guess. You don't want to make less room for a newer and sooner released upgrade card now. More $$$$$ for ATI. .13 micron would be better o/c though. I think they put that wimpy ass hsf on there so you want to change it out and void the warranty. Think of all the RMA's they get out of liability on? Big $$$$$$$$.
ATI Radeon 9800pro(R)
Piddyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 05:00 PM   #74
Deathwish2000
Radeon R420

Deathwish2000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Piddyful
This card should actually use less voltage per mhz than the R300 due to the smaller .13 micron technology. Therefore, they can clock it higher and still have basically the same voltage output I would think. Or even slightly higher if they're going to take it to 400mhz. It'll probably be 375core stock I would guess. You don't want to make less room for a newer and sooner released upgrade card now. More $$$$$ for ATI. .13 micron would be better o/c though. I think they put that wimpy ass hsf on there so you want to change it out and void the warranty. Think of all the RMA's they get out of liability on? Big $$$$$$$$.
Yeah but the R350 is supposed to be 0.15 mn again whereas the RV350 will be 0.13mn
Old Feb 16, 2003, 05:35 PM   #75
R300King!
I want to be R600King!

R300King! is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Lodercom
...My AIW ownz you all , by the way
nope..minez 0wns jours!!
Old Feb 16, 2003, 05:56 PM   #76
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by hoju22
hey, the r350 doesn't look that much different from the r300. close enough to do a *cough cough* switcheroo at fry's electronics. got myself a 9700p for $150 by "trading" in a 9500np. Guess i'll be making the "upgrade" again for free! muahaahahahahaah!
Ever wonder it would be like for the person that would buy your traded in card as a 9700, go home and have to go through all the hassle to return it being a 9500...*******.

*******s that pull these stunts shouldn't be proud of what you do, ya you rockzorz baby
Doomtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:12 PM   #77
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

no big deal.. he'll get caught

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:31 PM   #78
hoju22

unless you guys have absolutely no pirated software on your computer than you are in no position to speak. the $250 that i took is no different from the countless games, apps, mp3s , and movies that you all have on your computer. if you are really are as humble and honest as you speak then this doesn't apply to you, otherwise don't be a hypocrite. i applaud your integrity and i'll see you in heaven...from hell.

Last edited by hoju22 : Feb 16, 2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:38 PM   #79
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
unless you guys have absolutely no pirated software on your computer than you are in no position to speak. the $250 that i took is no different from the countless games, apps, mp3s , and movies that you all have on your computer. if you are really are as humble and honest as you speak then this doesn't apply to you, otherwise don't be a hypocrite.
blahblahblhablah..

what you're doing is wrong because someone is going to spend money on the card, get whatever you put in the fcking box and not be able to do a damn thing about it.. you're not only hurting ATi and Besbuy but you're also fcking up the little guy who probably had to work 40hrs to pay for that video card..

oh and another thing.. When I download an MP3 or a game it doesnt cost anyone (except myself/my ISP) a damn thing.. in all reality software devs/musicians dont lose money from you downloading their shiet.. ATi and bestbuy do lose money when you do that.. it costs them money (and quite a bit) to manufactuar the shiet you stole.. if they only had to make back money from the R&D then fine, it wouldnt be such a big deal.. but they also have to make back the money they spent putting out the real concrete ****ing product

whatever.. like i said, you WILL get caught.. so who cares?

edit: oh yea and i use to do what you're doing (when i was an idiot) .. manufactuars/retailers know people are doing this and they're starting to crack down on it.. you will get caught and when you do you'll regret you ever did it..

www.eve-online.com

Last edited by ErrorS : Feb 16, 2003 at 06:42 PM.
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:51 PM   #80
hoju22

you are seriously in denial if you think software piracy and intellectual theft is a victimless crime. just because it costs next to nothing to reproduce the software, those copies of win xp or ms office that gets passed around among friends cost companies hundreds everytime and the industry billions every year. i'm not saying what i'm doing is right cuz it sure as hell ain't but you look ridiculuos sitting on your perch pretending your version of stealing is any better. stealing is stealing but at the end of the day the value of the stuff that we've taken are not that much different. you have thousands in software on your computer and so do the rest of us.

and as for poor joe blue collar, he's not gonna buy that open box package on the shelf anyway. those just sit on the shelf while people buy the new unopened ones first. my card is like one that never got sold and ends up being sent back to ATI.

Last edited by hoju22 : Feb 16, 2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:54 PM   #81
ewitte
Radeon R100

ewitte is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Doomtrooper
Ever wonder it would be like for the person that would buy your traded in card as a 9700, go home and have to go through all the hassle to return it being a 9500...*******.

*******s that pull these stunts shouldn't be proud of what you do, ya you rockzorz baby
I wonder why I never buy open products and detest refurbished (broken) equipment.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:54 PM   #82
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
you are seriously in denial if you think software piracy and intellectual theft is a victimless crime. just because it costs next to nothing to reproduce the software, those copies of win xp or ms office that gets passed around among friends cost companies hundres everytime and the industry billions everywhere. i'm not saying what i'm doing is right cuz it sure as hell ain't but you look ridiculuos sitting on your perch pretending your version of stealing is ok.
The difference is that the mp3 he just downloaded wont hurt anyone as much as the 9500 someone is going to recive when they paid for a 9700.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 06:58 PM   #83
SsP45
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

If you were never going to buy the software in the first place, the company wouldn't have gotten your money anyway.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 07:05 PM   #84
hoju22

but if you were never gonna buy it in the first place, then keep it off your computer. that fact that you use it without paying for it is still stealing
Old Feb 16, 2003, 07:12 PM   #85
Piddyful
Radeon R520

Piddyful is still being judged by the masses

All my software and hardware is completetly legal and I paid pretty much top dollar for all of it. Even paid a few 2 day Express delivery charges on top of it all. So does that mean I can clown all you now? Just kidding.

It's too bad the next R350 wasn't based on .13 micron. I think it would be a better card if it was. Mabye R400 will.
ATI Radeon 9800pro(R)
Piddyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 07:24 PM   #86
SsP45
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

Quote:
but if you were never gonna buy it in the first place, then keep it off your computer. that fact that you use it without paying for it is still stealing
I never said it wasn't stealing.

Last edited by SsP45 : Feb 16, 2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:12 PM   #87
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Wow, idiots never cease to amaze me..goes into great detail about software piracy now...go away.
Doomtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:15 PM   #88
BryanR
Radeon R300

BryanR is still being judged by the masses

Why doesn't ATI put cheap RAM-sinks at least?
You most likely can get them from another manufacturer but it would be nice to see change in their design
BryanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:18 PM   #89
david
Radeon R700

david is still being judged by the masses

Cause they really dont need it. They dont bulid thier cards for overclocking in mind. Also they unclock the memory alittle. So it really dont need ram shinks
Old Feb 16, 2003, 08:38 PM   #90
hoju22

doomtrooper, you can resort to petty name calling if you want but i'll be the idiot with a free r350 come march. i'm amazed that you consider my simple analogies as great detail. end of discussion.