Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Nov 16, 2002, 08:43 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
skeater
Radeon R200

skeater is still being judged by the masses

Default help! opengl 60hz lock.

I am now a proud owner of a 9700 pro. Great card however I do have an issue with opengl games and the 60hz refresh rate lock. Installed the latest Catalyst 2.4 Drivers and control panel. I’ve tried reforce which work fine for my old GF 3 card but it does not work for the Radeon. The Rage3D tweak works but that annoying sound it makes when a game starts is going to drive me up the wall. Not to mention that games do not always load properly when R3D tweak/GameUTIL is running in the background. Also I can’t seem to uninstall it. Click on the remove button within the Win control panel and nothing happens.

Does anyone know of a tweak/patch that can be applied to cure the 60hz problem in opengl, or at least turn off the sound for R3D tweak.

WinXP home SP1
Athlon 1600XP
768 megs Ram
Old Nov 16, 2002, 09:03 PM   #2
skeater
Radeon R200

Well I guess with over 30 views and no replies, no one in this forum has an answer. I figured someone would at least come up with an answer on how to disable the sounds in R3D Tweak.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:10 PM   #3
camrymans
Rage3D Veteran

camrymans is still being judged by the masses

To fix the problem with 60Hz, use Rage3D tweak or RefreshFix or any number of other utilities to lock your refresh rates. You can also do it by editing the registry, just do a search on this forum and you will see many threads about it.
Radeon 9700 Pro (Sapphire) 365/340
Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:10 AM   #4
RKone
Radeon R420

RKone is still being judged by the masses

The only reason for reforce to not work is if you applied the settings to the wrong monitor. I've noticed it doesn't necessarily default to the correct monitor settings that are currently being used.

Make sure you go through your list of monitors and set the refresh rates for all of them.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 07:58 AM   #5
skeater
Radeon R200

Thanks for the replies. Tried what you suggested but still doesn’t work. There are 5 modes within reforce, one for the default monitor and 4 for my Viewsonic. They all have the same ID and refresh rates with the 5th one saying that it is active. This work fine for my G Force card. Is there a registry string that has to be removed when changing vid cards? If so where?
Old Nov 17, 2002, 08:34 AM   #6
convert
Radeon R700

convert is still being judged by the masses

Download RefreshForce here

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/reforce.zip

Unzip to a dir, run it. Click on autopopulate. It's smart enough to detect the latest drivers and PnP monitor. Apply. OK. Quit and reboot machine.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:01 AM   #7
MasterBates

MasterBates is still being judged by the masses

powerstrip is the answer.

best tweak utility on the market.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 01:02 PM   #8
skeater
Radeon R200

Got it…. Finally found something that works. You can download it here http://kiamo.com/junk/refresh_fix.zip Many thanks to Justin who wrote this small utility.
Rumor is that ATI will fix both D3D and OpenGl refresh problems in their next release of drivers. We hope….

Now, only if I can uninstall R3D Tweak.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 04:26 PM   #9
Ollo
Radeon R300

Ollo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by convert
Download RefreshForce here

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/reforce.zip

Indeed, this not only fixed the 60 Hz problem, it also cured windows from popping to 60 Hz after changing AA or AF settings under the DX9 drivers.

Thanks Convert!
Old Nov 17, 2002, 07:50 PM   #10
skeater
Radeon R200

Sorry to report that my earlier post on refresh_fix didn’t quite work for me. Some D3D games, namely Spiderman and NHL 2002 would just show a blank screen with sound. However I did manage to get RefreshForce to work. It turns out that you have to have the “Hide modes that this monitor can’t display” within your display properties checked or it won’t work. Funny I don’t remember that being a problem with Nvidia cards.

Thanks to all for the advice