Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Other Discussions » PC Gaming Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Support The Rage3D community looks forward to helping you find a solution to the problems you're having with PC games, old and new.

Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Default Borderlands oddness... >.>

Ok, so after fighting with a piece of hardware, and finding out my PSU plugs are just worn out a bit and not making good contact in the the video card receptacles.. I started playing some Borderlands after the Steam sale.

Everything runs great.

However, it seems to randomly occur. The video will freeze. Sound continues. The machine is still responsive. So I went to bring up the Task Manager to kill the game, and restart it. In the 2 seconds to get out to TM and such. The game snatched back focus, and continued to run like nothing had happened.

It seems random, but it will only begin happening after 20 to 30 mins of gameplay or so.

Some googling brings up other people (I assume kids) who describe similar problems, however the n00bs seem to solve it by hitting the reset button on the machine mistaking the issue for a hardlocked PC. Usually blaming video drivers or something. Which is of no help to me.

Anyone else experience this and how did you solve it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

just had to steal my thread title didn't you
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
spajdr
Bankrupt

spajdr is still being judged by the masses

I cant even start it, always getting same errors as this guy
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1342928
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:52 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

VW, I have the same issue with Borderlands on my main system, though my secondary PC is unaffected despite having similar hardware and running the same graphics driver. Have you noticed when this happens if the framerate drops at all? Seems when this problem occurs the FPS drops like in half and it's rather tough on the eyes. Still playable, but immediately perceptible as less smooth.

Edit: after some digging, someone reported fixing this problem by downloading and applying EVGA's latest SLI enhancement patch, for which one need not use SLI. Unfortunately I can't test this until this weekend, but I can't wait to try!

Last edited by ShaidarHaran : Jul 6, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

I was having a similar problem, but I solved mine by upping the fan speed to 100% while playing games.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:05 PM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
I was having a similar problem, but I solved mine by upping the fan speed to 100% while playing games.
I don't think that'll be necessary in my case. I played Borderlands this weekend at a LAN I hosted and the exhaust coming out of my graphics card was cooler than that of all the other systems present.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:33 PM   #7
spajdr
Bankrupt

spajdr is still being judged by the masses

Ok, got problem fixed, needed to install physx package (for some weird reason i needed to download older physx 9.10.0222 first to upgrade it to 0224).
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9...24-driver.html
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:40 PM   #8
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The EVGA patches are a quickie to fill the gaps until NV gets a full patch out. On a new game this would make sense but Border has been out a long time.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Ok, so after fighting with a piece of hardware, and finding out my PSU plugs are just worn out a bit and not making good contact in the the video card receptacles.. I started playing some Borderlands after the Steam sale.

Everything runs great.

However, it seems to randomly occur. The video will freeze. Sound continues. The machine is still responsive. So I went to bring up the Task Manager to kill the game, and restart it. In the 2 seconds to get out to TM and such. The game snatched back focus, and continued to run like nothing had happened.

It seems random, but it will only begin happening after 20 to 30 mins of gameplay or so.

Anyone else experience this and how did you solve it?
What's your hardware setup? Something in the eventlog? The only friend i know of, got something similar and fixed it with the enhancement patch.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:45 AM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I'm d/ling Borderlands on the system I keep @ my G/F's right now and am going to try it out. If the issue arises I'll apply the SLI enhancement patch and see if that solves it. If I'm unable to reproduce the issue here I'll have to wait until I get back to my place this weekend to try the patch on the system which exhibits the issue.

I'll report results here when I have them.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:17 PM   #11
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Problem with the SLI stuff here guys.

Im no longer running SLI.

Im using Crossfire.

At any rate. Disabling it had no effect.

@SH, yes I have noticed that frames will take a small hit right before it happens. I think Im going to do the same thing and load it on a couple other machines around here, and see if the same thing happens.

I still have an SLI rig here to test with, and a single nV setup in teh office. I had thought about removing the PhysX drivers however @ that point Dragon Age refused to load w/o the PhysX drivers installed.

I have thought about dropping an 8800 back into this rig and using those beta drivers that allowed PhysX processing even when ATI hardware is present. However I am unsure if my PSU would handle the extra load.

@Silent. No nothing in the event log. As far as Windows is concerned, nothing ever happened.

I will report results with the other rigs as well.
Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:47 PM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I did a few things yesterday to try and address the low FPS issue that can occur after playing the game for some length of time.

1) updated to 258.69 driver
2) applied EVGA SLI Enhancement Patch
3) switched Nhancer to AA compatibility mode for UE3 ...c5

I can't say the issue is definitely fixed as I didn't play for hours but the FPS was noticeably higher after performing these steps.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:00 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Was the game installed with nV hardware present and now you're using ATI card? Might need to reinstall / delete a hardware config file.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:22 PM   #14
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Was the game installed with nV hardware present and now you're using ATI card? Might need to reinstall / delete a hardware config file.
Nope. it was freshly installed on the new OS install along with the ATI hardware.
Quote:
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:19 AM   #15
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I had a problem like this with some catalyst drivers. Try renaming the game .exe to something else, like bioshock.exe for example. (not sure its possible with steam though). It worked for me.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus