Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 20, 2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies Buying AMD 2700 so which mobo should I buy.

Unfortunately my son has got his patience from me which means he has none. He want his new PC for his birthday (tomorrow) or as soon as possible after. He's already told his mum, the boss, I'm getting him one I'm giving him my CPU, mobo and my old 16gb ram and I've just ordered an AMD 2700 CPU for myself. The big question is which mobo should I buy. I know it's a side grade for me but I'm happy with that TBH. The 2700 is only £30 dearer than the 2600X so is a bit of a no brainer at 1440p.

I'm looking at the Asus Prime X470 Pro at £140 or the Asrock Master SLI X470 at £125. The price isn't an issue and I do prefer Asus boards if I'm honest, however I have owned an Asrock board that was excellent. If anyone has experience of these boards or manufacturers please let me know.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 03:40 PM   #2
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I had an ok experience with my GB x370 and I think the x470 were better from what Ive read, but if I were to buy today Id go with the asrock or asus... Asus has a huge lineup price wise.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Don't get any Gigabyte or Asrock mobo. I'd get an ASUS mobo like Prime X470-Pro or ASUS Crosshair. I have a very good experience with my X370-Pro. Its never giving me any issue at all.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:50 AM   #4
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Asus crosshair bios releases are a mess.

They have released several that randomly turn off cpu fans and water pump headers... just check the ROG forums quite a few pissed of users.

I have moved my water pump to a molex adapter after several incidents myself.

I will not be buying asus for a long time after this ****
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:56 AM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Asus X470's are a bitch to find. I went with a Gigabyte cause it's all that was available at time of purchase. I have had good luck with Asrock in the past and MSI too.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:31 AM   #6
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've been liking the ASRock Taichi boards. Good solid no-nosense boards with minimal fluff.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 06:04 PM   #7
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

When I strayed from Asus it almost took me down. Had an XFX and an MSI board that were just complete ****.

I'll be whoring out Asus 4 LIFE!
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:25 AM   #9
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Don't get any Gigabyte or Asrock mobo. I'd get an ASUS mobo like Prime X470-Pro or ASUS Crosshair. I have a very good experience with my X370-Pro. Its never giving me any issue at all.
No problem with asrock b450 gaming k4 here. In fact in testing done asrock has one of the better VRM cooling even among better brands.
I got a 2600x in it right now and will throw in a ryzen3 into it when that comes out.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 05:13 PM   #10
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

A bit too expensive for what I need. More than the CPU

Quote:
Prime x470 pro looks like a winner for me TBH.

Well I've had Asus Boards for a few years now so will stick with that I know.

Ordered the 2700 arriving tomorrow at work. Will be ordering the mobo tomorrow just have to decide which one.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Apr 24, 2019, 06:03 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD 2700X 50th Anniversary Ed

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7...ry-edition-cpu
Old Apr 24, 2019, 06:11 PM   #12
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
This release boggles my mind, why would you release a special edition chip at the end of its cycle when you would be much better off releasing a special chip of the new release Zen 2.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2019, 06:23 AM   #13
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

lol why are you buying a 2700?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2019, 02:41 PM   #14
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
lol why are you buying a 2700?
Numerous reasons; firstly to rid myself of Intel, Spectre, Meltdown and the fact I have no upgrade path as intel screwed the Z270 series. Secondly, I'm going from 4c/8t to 8c/16t for less than two thirds of the price it cost me for the 7700K. Also I'll have at least Zen 2 and probably Zen 3 to upgrade to using the same motherboard so it makes updating a whole lot cheaper than with Intel. Simples.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 04:30 PM   #15
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

sorry still seems nuts not to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a much faster zen 2 and MB with PCIE 4.0 as all the next new video cards will be 4.0
Old Apr 26, 2019, 07:37 PM   #16
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
sorry still seems nuts not to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a much faster zen 2 and MB with PCIE 4.0 as all the next new video cards will be 4.0

7700K owner here, and I'm waiting on these new Ryzen cpus. I really hope they can at least turbo into the 4.5Ghz+ range.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2019, 01:56 PM   #17
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Probably nearer 3 to 4 months until retail but to be honest I'm not bothered. By getting an X470 mobo I can still upgrade to Zen 2 and probably Zen 3 (if it comes out in 2020) and still be good to go. PCIE 4.0 meh as I'm sure at 1440p I'm no where near saturating PCIE 3 and as PCIE 4 will be new it will take some time for everything else to catch up. An Nvidia 2080ti won't become defunct overnight just because PCIE 4 comes out.

As the saying goes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Old Apr 27, 2019, 01:59 PM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Probably nearer 3 to 4 months until retail but to be honest I'm not bothered. By getting an X470 mobo I can still upgrade to Zen 2 and probably Zen 3 (if it comes out in 2020) and still be good to go. PCIE 4.0 meh as I'm sure at 1440p I'm no where near saturating PCIE 3 and as PCIE 4 will be new it will take some time for everything else to catch up. An Nvidia 2080ti won't become defunct overnight just because PCIE 4 comes out.

As the saying goes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Quote:

Biostar announces its AMD Ryzen 3000 motherboards will launch at Computex
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3...-computex-2019

may 28 to june 1

5 weeks at most
Old Apr 27, 2019, 02:49 PM   #19
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Bill as we know launch to retail can take several months and Zen 2 is slated to come out in July so probably August in retail in UK. Sorry but I'll never buy a Biostar motherboard but that's just me.

My Ryzen 7 2700 arrived yesterday cost £205 :check: My Asus prime X470 Pro arrives Monday cost £160 :check: Using existing Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 cooler and 3000hz ram and all drives :check: My son gets my 7700K, Z270 motherboard and I've bought him 16gb DDR4 ram to replace his ancient 2500K CPU, Asrock motherboard and DDR3 ram. Tell me what's not to like.

I'm 59 next Friday and PC gaming is no longer my main hobby, it's well behind golf and TBH I game more on my XboneX than on the PC these days. But I'm not ready to give up yet and see this upgrade as something positive that works out well for me and my 20 year old son who's become a very good PC gamer. This is a win win for both of us.

I've given up on buying the latest and greatest PC equipment as it's not where I'm at anymore. Sad but a fact I'm afraid.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:16 AM   #20
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Maybe you should wait for ASUS Prime X570-Pro.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Apr 29, 2019, 01:16 PM   #21
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

PCI-E 4 will be quickly replaced by PCIE-5. Im waiting for 600 gen or later mobo with at least 3 full nvme slots and PCIE-5 and DDR5...That will be a godless 5-8 year monster like my old phenom 2 was.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Apr 29, 2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:51 PM   #22
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Maybe you should wait for ASUS Prime X570-Pro.
Why?? I can upgrade to Zen 2 anytime I want on my X470 mobo (maybe Zen 3) and if in 2 years I want to buy an X570 they'll probably be half the price Time waits for no man so do it while you can. I've actually gone back to stock on my 2700 because I just can't see any difference from my 7700K @ 4.8/5.0 except in synthetic benchmarks (< 3%/5%). TBH don't need the heat or power of an overclock when I can't tell the difference. Loving this CPU.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:01 AM   #23
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
Why?? I can upgrade to Zen 2 anytime I want on my X470 mobo (maybe Zen 3) and if in 2 years I want to buy an X570 they'll probably be half the price Time waits for no man so do it while you can. I've actually gone back to stock on my 2700 because I just can't see any difference from my 7700K @ 4.8/5.0 except in synthetic benchmarks (< 3%/5%). TBH don't need the heat or power of an overclock when I can't tell the difference. Loving this CPU.
If you're looking for a long term, then yeah X470-Pro should be fine too as well as you just simply update the bios to support Zen 2 CPU compatibility. I won't replace my X370-Pro until 2021 or 2022. Maybe ASUS Prime X670-Pro with PCIE5.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old May 27, 2019, 05:38 AM   #24
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

You may notice a difference with faster GPU [lowered settings, or combination of both]. That's when CPU performance will be exposed.

Yeh I agree, x470 is fine with its upgrade path. It's not as if 16x pcie 3 will bottleneck with any GPU in the next few years, plus you have the option for faster CPU. Seems OK to me.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:42 PM   #25
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Damn MSI not supporting ryzen 3k on any of its first gen mobos. Asus and GB are tho.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 27, 2019, 12:54 PM   #26
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Damn MSI not supporting ryzen 3k on any of its first gen mobos. Asus and GB are tho.
Wait I thought they were nuking 1st gen Ryzen in the uefi to make room for Zen 2?

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019, 10:59 PM   #27
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

My motherboard already has the bios support out
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 12:06 AM   #28
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Wait I thought they were nuking 1st gen Ryzen in the uefi to make room for Zen 2?
Story is GB nuked the igp cpus models to make room for 3k ryzen. But buildzoid has done a runup of what mobos can run what 3k cpus... and its looking iffy for a few first gen mobos. GB doesnt have enough cooling for the 12 core. A320 is complete no go but thats no surprise.

B350 and x370 varies from one maker to another. VRM and cooling them being a much bigger issue than bios. Im seriously considering taking the dremel to the stock HS on the GB K7 then tacking or ziptying on a 120mm fan.

B450 and x470 seem all fine...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 31, 2019, 01:50 AM   #29
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well duh, AMD have just done what Intel did concerning VRM heat and power delivery. Old mobos can't handle them. It's not a conspiracy.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:18 PM   #30
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Depends on the cpu you want to run. If its a 6 or 8 core so far seems its not a problem across the entire B350 x370 lineup and up as long as vendor provides the bios. The 12 core is the one thats causing concerns.

For gaming and casual use putting in even a 'lowly' 6 core over my old 8 core in my x370 would be a huge perf gain.

www.realitysandwich.com