Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 10, 2018, 05:54 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
According to this list, it seems that the Core series and later are affected (starting with the 45mm i series).
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60411...own/index.html

My desktop has the i7 6700K on the MSI Gaming M3 Z170a motherboard which I am expecting a firmware update. However, my laptop is 5 years old running an i5 3317u and is no longer getting driver and bios updates. Also my old system is a Q9400 (did not see any Core 2 cpus on the list).

Does this mean the Core 2 Duo and Quad are OK or are they also affected and will not get the patch?

I guess this means my laptop and old desktop are just as unsafe as running a desktop with Windows XP?

I have a feeling that this vulnerabilities will push people to upgrade from sandy bridge, ivy , haswell ... I find it improbable that mainboard manufacturers will release bioses for sandy bridge for example.People will they say they will upgrade and at least they will get bios support.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:31 AM   #182
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
I have a feeling that this vulnerabilities will push people to upgrade from sandy bridge, ivy , haswell ... I find it improbable that mainboard manufacturers will release bioses for sandy bridge for example.People will they say they will upgrade and at least they will get bios support.
Agreed. There is no way ASUS is releasing BIOS updates for my ancient Maximus V and 3570K.

But the BIOS update is only for one of the two spectre variants and also the BIOS fix is the one hurting performance the most (compared to the windows patch that fixes the other spectre variant and meltdown).
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 09:45 AM   #183
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Oh well whoever wants to hack my PC can do so. I got nothing.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:06 PM   #184
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Oh well whoever wants to hack my PC can do so. I got nothing.
I doubt you'll get hack. Don't go on shady sites and you'll be fine.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 04:23 PM   #185
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I assume the vulnerabilities are going to have to be patched on the OS level. Otherwise there will be millions of vulnerable PCs. How many people even ever upgrade their BIOS? Most don't even know how. And it's not like 10 years of computers are just going to be thrown in the trash en masse.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 04:44 PM   #186
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Out of the 6 Pc's in the office where I work I could only update two, the QuickBooks server that I built last Christmas and our office managers system. They all contain Asus boards and one is even listed on the list demo linked but the bios doesn't exist on Asus site. H170m Plus.

Windows has been all patched as well as the Qnap NAS' firmware.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:23 AM   #187
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I assume the vulnerabilities are going to have to be patched on the OS level. Otherwise there will be millions of vulnerable PCs. How many people even ever upgrade their BIOS? Most don't even know how. And it's not like 10 years of computers are just going to be thrown in the trash en masse.
Two of the three vulnerabilities are patched on OS level. The third one requires a BIOS update so basicly no one will get a fix except for people with new hardware and know how to update BIOS - and those are a minority.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 04:10 AM   #188
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Out of the 6 Pc's in the office where I work I could only update two, the QuickBooks server that I built last Christmas and our office managers system. They all contain Asus boards and one is even listed on the list demo linked but the bios doesn't exist on Asus site. H170m Plus.

Windows has been all patched as well as the Qnap NAS' firmware.
Have you run the update tool found here?

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Btw you never answered with your 4770k, and now 8700k. What's your cinebench score with your golden chip?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 05:03 AM   #189
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
What's your cinebench score with your golden sheep?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 06:18 AM   #190
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So when are the actual attacks going to be happening? All of these years/decades with these vulnerabilities and the hackers hadn't figured it out yet? I kinda wished they kept a lid on things and quietly fixed future CPUs until the first real sign of trouble that may not have actually happened anyways. A bit of a gamble but whatever.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 07:16 PM   #191
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 11, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 01:25 AM   #192
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Crashes every time I run it.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 02:47 AM   #193
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Sounds like your PC can’t be saved. Time for an upgrade mate!

You can also check your browser here.

http://xlab.tencent.com/special/spec...tre_check.html

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 12, 2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:05 AM   #194
Megaman
Packing heat!

http://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

This AMD blog provides more details on its progress in addressing the Spectre one. Meltdown doesn't affect AMD CPUs and neither vulnerability affects AMD GPUs. AMD explains that it believes the Windows patches being released should be sufficient for the most part, and is working with Microsoft to reissue problem-free Windows security updates for AMD systems by next week. AMD has also started releasing microcode updates for Ryzen and EPYC processors this week, and will do so for previous generations over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:22 AM   #195
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Sorry in advance, but I haven't read this thread and have been kinda watching this from the outside in. So forgive me if this was already discussed.

But how are companies like Facebook, Google, etc. With MASSIVE server farms not sueing intell? Performance per watt is critical and a huge cost factor on thier farms. Often they upgrade millions of dollars of equipment even over the slightest upgrade because it can save a ton in heat, cooling, etc.

I'm shocked we haven't seen anything yet.

I'm also a little annoyed because my 4690k server is going to be hit pretty good. And so is our laptop with a 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6200U is going to lose performance it needs. Which is one of the main reasons I purchased it over an AMD APU version.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:42 AM   #196
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Our enterprise A/V detected this tool as a threat/trojan.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:39 AM   #197
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

No threat found for that program with Eset Endpoint

And it shows my laptop as vulnerable to Spectre; I don't think there's anything I can do until Dell gets off their lazy asses and issues a bios update

edit: speak of the devil, just checked and they released a new BIOS update yesterday. Looks like I'm patched now.

Last edited by curio : Jan 12, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:48 PM   #198
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Intel AMT Security Issue Lets Attackers Bypass Login Credentials
https://www.techpowerup.com/240566/i...in-credentials

more

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:13 PM   #199
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Well I can confirm that overall performance has taken a big time nose dive with these patches. While I haven't ran any benchmarks, subjectively it's very noticeable. Ranging from Haswell CPU's, Broadwell, & Skylake in my office to the Kaby Lake I have at home - simply using Windows now feels like each processor is down a full gigahertz; Windows lags a lot now, file transfers are slower, and programs take much longer to open - especially on the older chips.

This is absurd, my laptop went from just fine to feeling like a dinosaur overnight. On the plus side though, I can confirm that I can't notice any difference in gaming.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:19 PM   #200
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Well I can confirm that overall performance has taken a big time nose dive with these patches. While I haven't ran any benchmarks, subjectively it's very noticeable. Ranging from Haswell CPU's, Broadwell, & Skylake in my office to the Kaby Lake I have at home - simply using Windows now feels like each processor is down a full gigahertz; Windows lags a lot now, file transfers are slower, and programs take much longer to open - especially on the older chips.

This is absurd, my laptop went from just fine to feeling like a dinosaur overnight. On the plus side though, I can confirm that I can't notice any difference in gaming.
It only affects heavy task I/O performance. Your games hardly use it at all except for some heavy DRM games it might be affected.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:44 PM   #201
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
It only affects heavy task I/O performance. Your games hardly use it at all except for some heavy DRM games it might be affected.
It affects more than heavy task I/O; like I just said it's very noticeable across the boards in using Windows - from opening a program to multitasking; the overall experience seems crippled compared to pre-patches
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:02 PM   #202
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
It affects more than heavy task I/O; like I just said it's very noticeable across the boards in using Windows - from opening a program to multitasking; the overall experience seems crippled compared to pre-patches
Interesting. I didn't know there's more than just like that. Yeah, it's bad. I surprised how articles and youtubers didn't mention like that. It depends on users who have different specs. Not everyone experiences the same thing.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:04 PM   #203
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Interesting. I didn't know there's more than just like that. Yeah, it's bad. I surprised how articles and youtubers didn't mention like that. It depends on users who have different specs. Not everyone experiences the same thing.
It has affected 6 different workstations of mine and my home computer, all have different specs and processors. The older processors seem to be crippled the most, namely Broadwell & Haswell. Kaby Lake seems to be the least affected; but I can still tell a difference on that too.

It's nothing I can't live with, but I'll probably be moving on from Intel now.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:45 PM   #204
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD is releasing Spectre firmware updates to fix CPU vulnerabilities
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/1...tes-ryzen-epyc
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:15 PM   #205
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Tried both windows 7 and 10 and no difference in my experience using windows, games or internet. Tried also running some benches. Still no difference.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:37 PM   #206
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Online is going to **** with these patches. Steam, facebook ect I get regular timeouts to dropped connections... far more lag than usual. Its like the net went back a decade or more.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:58 PM   #207
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Online is going to **** with these patches. Steam, facebook ect I get regular timeouts to dropped connections... far more lag than usual. Its like the net went back a decade or more.
YouTube as well, at least for me.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:04 PM   #208
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Gigabyte released a cpu-microcode bios update for my motherboard two days ago. I downloaded it, but haven't flashed my motherboard yet. I assume this has to be a patch to fix these exploits. considering whats been posted here - I think I will be holding off for now.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2018, 08:11 AM   #209
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So far the most annoying thing to me is my old 4770K in my server keeps ****ing rebooting. Driving me nuts, because that box has all my data on it, and also handles TV recording.

I do notice a little drop in performance on my 7700K system when dealing with file copy and compression stuff, but overall it's not too bad.

My next rig will most likely contain a ryzen CPU.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2018, 08:55 AM   #210
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
That app just crashes out for me in Win 7 x64 on my Sandy Bridge i5-2500k. My installation is nearly 7 years old and seems stable, but if I double click the app to run it, it momentarily shows in Task Manager then it's gone.

Not like I'm going to get the BIOS patches anyway for my P67 board.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote