Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default Running 2133 DDR4 at 2166?

Back in the beginning of 2016 I've built a computer for my wife using Asus B150 mother board, i5-6500, 16gb of DDR4 and 256gb SSD. The RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GVR.

She is running out of space on the SSD, and instead of upgrading her to a new SSD, I want to get her a 1gb M.2 NVME drive. Problem is, her motherboard does not have M.2 slots, so I have to upgrade her motherboard and CPU as well in the process.

I already ordered new CPU and motherboard - Asus Z390 and i5-9400F. However I see intel specs 2666 memory for this CPU. So the question is, if I reuse the old ram, what are the chances that it will overclock to 2666? And if I just leave it stock at 2133, are there any adverse effects?

Last edited by Och : Jun 1, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Och
ATI Champion

Also, whats the best way to migrate data from SATA SSD to M.2 NVME so I don't have to reinstall everything?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Usually the SSD/HDD makers have a data migration software you can download. It will only work if you have a drive from them in the system, but if you're buying from one of the bigger names (Samsung, Seagate, etc) that's not an issue. Otherwise if both SSDs are from a small time manufacturer you may have to find a program to do it. They do exist, but it's obviously more of a pain in the ass to find/use them since they're not supplied by the manufacturer (might have to pay for a license).

As far as the memory goes, there's a decent chance you can overclock it to 2666 MHz. You might have to relax the timings and up the voltage though. Faster memory kits usually run at 1.35v vs 1.2v standard, although you can go as high as 1.5v if necessary (generally try to keep it to 1.4v or 1.45v if possible).

If I were you I'd first try just setting the memory frequency at 2666 MHz with 1.45v memory voltage, while leaving the primary timings at stock (maybe enter them in manually to make sure the board doesn't change them). If it boots into BIOS you can then try reducing the voltage and/or increasing memory frequency further. Once you've done that you need to load into Windows and run a memory testing program to make sure the memory is stable. Personally I recommend RAM Test.

Lower memory speed will just mean somewhat lower performance. Depending what the machine is used for, frankly it may not make much difference.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 4, 2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Only in gaming are you going to notice a difference. Why are you going intel? You were already replacing the motherboard. I'd just throw in there a 2600x and call it a day, as that chip is faster than that i5. I don't get why people buy into intel's bs. Why wouldn't you want faster system performance, as with ryzen multitasking will be way faster, especially if the system isn't going to do any heavy gaming.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Last edited by Evileh : Jun 4, 2019 at 08:58 AM.
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Only in gaming are you going to notice a difference. Why are you going intel? You were already replacing the motherboard. I'd just throw in there a 2600x and call it a day, as that chip is faster than that i5. I don't get why people buy into intel's bs. Why wouldn't you want faster system performance, as with ryzen multitasking will be way faster, especially if the system isn't going to do any heavy gaming.
Its a 95 watt chip, I'm going with a 65 watt chip. Its a Micro ATX slim case with only 350 watt power supply. She only uses it for office work, so as long as all the apps are snappy thats all she needs.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm not sure you really needed a Z390 for that. You probably should have saved some money by going with a cheaper chipset board since it doesn't look like the processor is even capable of being overclocked.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2019, 08:29 AM   #7
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Its a 95 watt chip, I'm going with a 65 watt chip. Its a Micro ATX slim case with only 350 watt power supply. She only uses it for office work, so as long as all the apps are snappy thats all she needs.
Ah ok, I get it. Poor i5 though is being held back from it's full potential lol. Still think that ryzen (or even a ryzen 5) would be a tad bit snappier.

(also, a 200 dollar motherboard seems to be overkill for that)
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote