Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 19, 2022, 08:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Default 911 emergency. How to recover a disk drive?

I have an 8TB (only about 2TB of files) that are very sensitive files, that I need to recover. (kiddos pictures, etc).

This was a Seagate Backup Plus Hub (it uses a desktop Seagate Barracude Compute SMR drive), only about 7 months old. It already failed. I removed the drive from the enclosure to verify it wasn't the enclosure/power device, and it is in-fact the disk drive.

What'll happen is when it's plugged in, after bios screen, very often the PC will not boot, it'll hang in a black screen. If I unplug the drive, the PC boots fine (it's not a windows operating disk, it's just storage).

So if I unplug the drive, get into windows, and then plug in the drive, windows will see the drive, it populates like normal, but either A.) the drive will shut itself down after about 30 seconds~, or b.) the second I try to access any file on it, the drive goes unresponsive.

From what I can tell the partitions are healthy when it boots, or so disk management says so. I just can't get to any of the files. The second I click any file it goes unresponsive.

Is there anyway for me to recoop the sensitive pictures without having to pay alot of $? If I have to, I will, just kinda the sole reason I bought this 'exceptional backup drive'.

Also, it shows up in device manager aswell, but then goes away after about 45 seconds-a minute. If I unplug and plug it back in, it'll work for a few seconds, but happens again.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 09:04 AM   #2
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundDeathKnight can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Subscriber

Seagate's Rescue Data Recovery service comes with that drive's warranty.

https://www.seagate.com/products/rescue-data-recovery/
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox One S
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 09:12 AM   #3
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
So if I unplug the drive, get into windows, and then plug in the drive, windows will see the drive, it populates like normal, but either A.) the drive will shut itself down after about 30 seconds~, or b.) the second I try to access any file on it, the drive goes unresponsive.
Looks like drive is losing power? Have you tried plugging a different power cable from PSU to it?
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 19, 2022, 09:17 AM   #4
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Looks like drive is losing power? Have you tried plugging a different power cable from PSU to it?
Originally it was an external drive, I suspected the devices power adapater/board, that's why I took it from the enclosure, and directly installed it into the PC (since it's just a standard 3.5" drive).

There was no change in habit.

As far as warranty, I'm currently arguing with Seagate as they are refusing to even accept it as warranty due to me removing it from the enclosure, despite me living in a right to repair state.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : May 19, 2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 19, 2022, 09:55 AM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally it was an external drive, I suspected the devices power adapater/board, that's why I took it from the enclosure, and directly installed it into the PC (since it's just a standard 3.5" drive).

There was no change in habit.

As far as warranty, I'm currently arguing with Seagate as they are refusing to even accept it as warranty due to me removing it from the enclosure, despite me living in a right to repair state.
Ah I see, crap.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 09:59 AM   #6
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Ah I see, crap.
It's such bullshit. I really was expecting this to be the enclosure failure, not the hard drive with the way it was responding. I really didn't want to send off the hard drive as it has the only copies of 90% of our kids pictures. My fear is, could get lost, damaged, unsuccesful recovery, whatever, just alot of variables, so if I could have just removed it from the enclosure, and clone it I'd just write off the hard drive loss and move on. But I can't get the damn thing to stay on.

Still making the right to repair argument with Seagate, we will see. I have the enclosure, and it was taken apart carefully, but there are some obvious signs. (there is no warranty void if remove sticker either). So I should have probably just buttoned it back up and sent it in.

In hindsight, I should just have had this external backup cloning an internal drive, that way there was 2 sources of security. But this enclosure was rated really good and I needed something easy for the wife to access. It's great for her to dump photos off her phone onto as it has a front USB hub that she can plug directly into the drive.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old May 19, 2022, 11:10 AM   #7
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I would try a separate enclosure, I can send you my Vantec Nexstar dual USB 3.0 dock and give you my recuva key and you can give it a shot.

PM your ****.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 01:18 PM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I would try a separate enclosure, I can send you my Vantec Nexstar dual USB 3.0 dock and give you my recuva key and you can give it a shot.

PM your ****.
Thank you for the offer Hapa, but unfortunately I dont think it's the enclosure as I have removed it and installed it directly into the PC (since it's a standard 3.5" drive), and it acts the exact same.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old May 19, 2022, 02:54 PM   #9
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
This was a Seagate Backup Plus Hub (it uses a desktop Seagate Barracude Compute SMR drive), only about 7 months old
SMR drives are the devil. Some are bad, others are HOORRIBLE. There are basically two classes... one the drive takes care of a certain amount of the "paperwork" to make it mostly seem like a regular drive, albeit slow.

Others are designed to operate in sequential mode and need a system, enclosure, etc to handle all of the logic in open and closing regions, etc.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this drive is of the latter variety. As a "backup" drive, sequential access is expected. Basically, it's a really complicated tape drive. However, you won't be able to use them just plugged into a normal system.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 02:19 AM   #10
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
It's such bullshit. I really was expecting this to be the enclosure failure, not the hard drive with the way it was responding. I really didn't want to send off the hard drive as it has the only copies of 90% of our kids pictures. My fear is, could get lost, damaged, unsuccesful recovery, whatever, just alot of variables, so if I could have just removed it from the enclosure, and clone it I'd just write off the hard drive loss and move on. But I can't get the damn thing to stay on.

Still making the right to repair argument with Seagate, we will see. I have the enclosure, and it was taken apart carefully, but there are some obvious signs. (there is no warranty void if remove sticker either). So I should have probably just buttoned it back up and sent it in.

In hindsight, I should just have had this external backup cloning an internal drive, that way there was 2 sources of security. But this enclosure was rated really good and I needed something easy for the wife to access. It's great for her to dump photos off her phone onto as it has a front USB hub that she can plug directly into the drive.

Legally, they can't deny warranty just because you opened it up. The onus is on seagate to prove you broke it. Thats federal law. Missouri has no right-to-repair laws sadly. Basically, just re-assemble, plug it in, make sure it powers up and acts just like it did before you disassembled it.

On a side note- If they do say send it in and deny it- they SHOULD give you the option to pay for the recovery. If they go that route- you could maybe pay but note you intend to fight the warranty denial and file a complaint with the FTC?