Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Creator of Parallel Processing wins A.M. Turing Award

On Wednesday, Frances Allen, an IBM Fellow Emeritus, became the first woman to win the A.M. Turing Award--the Nobel Prize-equivalent for computer science.

Allen started at IBM in 1957 as a teacher of the Fortran (Formula Translation) programming language, but went on to develop parallel computational computing. Her development of parallel processing--the ability for programs to run simultaneously on multiple microprocessors--enables today's high-speed computing. The Big Blue veteran recently shared her insights on the future of computer science and what work was like for a "Greatest Generation" woman of technology.

Read more on what it was like to be woman in the burgeoning Computer Science industry in the 60's, and other fun insights at CNet News.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Pfft... and yet its so rare for a girl to hit the same heights of knowledge when it comes to computers.

Its the same way with mechanics and engineering.

Something to do with the way boys and girls think differently. Good on her for winning.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Scorched

Scorched is still being judged by the masses

As long as she has dinner ready when I get home, she can do whatever she wants with her free time when she's not cooking my dinner.

Last edited by Scorched : Feb 27, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
Scorched is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad