Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 30, 2020, 08:48 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Another thing that I saw is motion artifacts do not exist. They only show their ugly head on Samsung but on this TV they never show up. Which is fantastic.

Comparing the good and the bad I believe I made the right choice to stick with it.
Honestly the motion artifacts on Samsung are horrid with anything thats not 60fps content. With 60fps content it works perfectly be it video or games, but 24fps bluray, 25fps TV (PAL land) or 30fps games it's no good.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 09:08 PM   #242
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes, I used to notice it but had to shrug it off as something that the console is doing but unfortunately now I understood that it is actually the TV. Most notable is Days Gone where there is a halo around the bike tires as you are driving around or also grass as you are running around.

In the LG this does not exist at all. However, you get this crap during night time.

As you can see the TV has gotten better over time and use but still the left hand side darkness vs middle brightness is quite visible during transition scenes such as this. However, of course I have taken the shots with high exposure settings so it looks much worse than it really is.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 06:22 AM   #243
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

did you take the photos with a potatoe? A really old potatoe that is

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 4, 2020, 06:25 AM   #244
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It’s iPhone 11
Old Aug 4, 2020, 06:50 AM   #245
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
It’s iPhone 11
awesome!

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 07:47 AM   #246
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Search for burn in fix on youtube, you will find either white static videos or colour blocks videos that should help break in your screen. Run it for a few hours and look at the difference after.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 08:48 AM   #247
KAC
That postcount though...

I would rather break in the screen with real content. Heard that those screens actually can cause damage.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 07:14 PM   #248
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Well, Best Buy delivered right on time today.

I did a quick inspection of the TV and performed a few tests. No dead pixels, no DSE, and no tint on the white screen test.
100% White:

Greyscale tests showed surprisingly little vertical banding or jail bar effect. I did have a bright spot in the top left corner. I watched two movies (Revenant/ Blade Runner 2049 and didn't notice any problems. I then turned the system off and let the pixel refresher do it's thing. Then I ran the tests again and the bright spot was nearly flush with the rest. Looks pretty good!
5% greyscale:
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 07:41 PM   #249
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Nice TV/Gaming monitor, and I’m fretting about spending $1800 on a 65” C9
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:52 PM   #250
KAC
That postcount though...

Sex bomb, can you do a close up with 5% grey and 65 brightness with 3 sec exposure on the camera.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:46 AM   #251
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

So these are with the filmmaker mode preset and the backlight set to 65. I did 0% through 20%. Tried to capture as close as possible while still keeping the entire set in frame.

Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:52 AM   #252
KAC
That postcount though...

Thanks. That’s definitely a cleaner set than mine.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:59 AM   #253
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

It's pure luck with the panel lottery. I've seen alot of sets that look worse than the one you have. LG is doing better than they were back in 2016 but they still have some issues from the looks of it. It seems like the machines they use to automate the assembly fall out of calibration after a certain number of panels are made and they either need to improve their automation line or take the time to re calibrate the machines sooner than they have been.

Back in 2016 OLED looked great in terms of color accuracy but DSE and red tint were horrible. Vertical banding has been and probably always will be a problem for OLED but they have come a long way.

I'm sure Sony's motion control has improved since then but I'm happy to report that the LG CX has better motion control than my Sony Z9D from 2016. I can't compare upscaling because my new panel is considerably larger than my last but it looks pretty good. HDR highlights are the only area where my old Sony still outperforms LG's latest OLED. That is mainly due to the Z9D being LCD and having 1800 Peak nits while the OLED is locked at 750 nit peaks. Still....the lower blacks and better contrast go a long way and I would say that the OLED still has better HDR overall due to color accuracy. It just doesn't have that light in the eyes pop that the LCD has. I'm pretty happy with the performance of this panel though. I can't wait to try out some PC gaming once the 3080TI is launched.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:14 AM   #254
KAC
That postcount though...

I agree. You got really lucky. 77 panels have horror stories all across. My panel is getting better over time as is evidenced by my newer pictures but still I haven’t hit the magical 100-200 hours usage limit and am just waiting till that time before I call it.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:10 PM   #255
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

K am installing this dell 3220 and the color banding is horrible under both sdr and hdr. At least sdr have colors that pop, hdr has washed out colors but its apparently a windows desktop streaming thing and only way to undo it is dl the media and run it locally.

Also if you cant stand the washed out colors you have to set sdr manually and when wanting to play a game or media in hdr have to manually set that when playing it. I feel like this is the kind of thing that should have been automated a decade or so ago. I know its only a 500$ mon but still. At least the native resolution isnt too bad at 1440 on 32". Vids look sharp.

https://www.dell.com/support/article...ows-10?lang=en

Quote:
Solution
In both these situations, the HDR capabilities are functioning within the design specification.

When HDR is enabled in Windows 10 Display Properties, non-HDR content, including the system background, desktop and menus will appear dull and flat. Only actual HDR content will appear normally.

It is recommended that you only enable the HDR capability in the Display Settings when you are going to watch HDR content. When done viewing content, simply return the HDR toggle to the off position and the system will return to normal appearance.

If you encounter streaming HDR content that does not appear to look like HDR content should appear (see images above) then it is recommended to download the HDR content to the system locally. When played from the local system the HDR streaming issue does not appear to occur.

Article ID: SLN308136

Last Date Modified: 09/14/2019 09:52 AM
Debating if I should send this back...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.7.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 07:51 PM   #256
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

OK gonna keep it the colors are pretty amazing and the freesync is butter. I can ignore the HDR youtube vids with color banding in sky scenes for now. Its a nice sharp picture quality not far from 4k imo. I thought the curve would annoy me but 1800r is easily overlooked at 32". Have to say some things are arcane. OSD isnt great as usual. Having to switch hdr on and off manually is not something we seem to need to do with a tv.

I imagine its something MS will figure out in a few years.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.7.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:55 PM   #257
KAC
That postcount though...

Sent an email to the shop again asking for a replacement set.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 07:32 AM   #258
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

Good luck. This will be the 3rd panel so hopefully they will send a better one than the last one. The line on the left side of the panel was pretty noticeable and everything to the left of that line had a darker tint than the rest of the screen. I'm sure the lack of uniformity was noticeable on bright scenes during camera pan. Post the results of the new panel when you get time, if you don't mind.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 07:54 AM   #259
KAC
That postcount though...

I actually sent them pictures of your panel and wrote a stinker. Last time it took them a week to replace. I am assuming the same this time. Email is already forwarded to LG support.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 08:41 AM   #260
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

I hope you get a panel that satisfies you but be careful not to get your hopes up too high. I've seen a lot of pictures posted online and none of them look as good as the one I have. I think I got extremely lucky. I wouldn't obsess over test patterns. If you see some light banding during dark scenes or minor DSE during bright camera pans, that is normal. I'll admit your last panel looked a little worse than I probably would have settled with but don't expect one to look just like mine because they are rare.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 09:27 AM   #261
KAC
That postcount though...

Look this damn thing is $2500 so I am not going to plop it down the drain. If this last panel also doesn’t satisfy my needs I may opt for a Q95T inevitably just so I don’t have this crap remorse all the time.

Meanwhile I still have the 55 which I can hook up to new consoles, PC or whatever.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 09:35 AM   #262
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

I understand, when you pay big money you shouldn't have major issues. I'm just saying, try not to get all OCD about test patterns based on pictures I posted. If you try 3 panels and all of them fail to live up to your expectations then I agree, try another brand or wait for future tech.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 03:02 PM   #263
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

KAC's set looked better than my C9.

Just way too much trouble to box up and send back in the mail. I took a chance for $1800 and I got (sorta) burned. Oh, and a dead pixel too lol

Keeping my fingers crossed mini-LED comes out in the next few months and is good enough to displace this C9 in the living room and for PC use.

ASUS ZEPHYRUS G15
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2020, 05:45 PM   #264
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
KAC's set looked better than my C9.

Just way too much trouble to box up and send back in the mail. I took a chance for $1800 and I got (sorta) burned. Oh, and a dead pixel too lol

Keeping my fingers crossed mini-LED comes out in the next few months and is good enough to displace this C9 in the living room and for PC use.
The TCL 8 wasn't bad but had issues unfortunately, and their original price was crazy for a budget brand. I'm hearing in the over 2k range for their next one. I'm talking 75" as well. 65" might be an acceptable price. And no HDMI 2.1 either. New ones I believe are suppose to have it.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:59 PM   #265
KAC
That postcount though...

My second replacement is under review. Let’s see.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 08:41 AM   #266
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
The TCL 8 wasn't bad but had issues unfortunately, and their original price was crazy for a budget brand
Yah the gen1 was most definitely not good enough. Gen2 should hopefully fix most of the shortcomings like missing HDMI 2.1 support and freesync. And improved IQ too. For the cost the gen1 commanded, it really was too much considering a 65" OLED could be had for about the same price anyway if you shopped around. While OLED has it's own issues, it's hard to justify the price of the gen1 TCL against it.

Fingers crossed that whatever the issues are with the gen2, they are minor.

ASUS ZEPHYRUS G15
Old Aug 11, 2020, 06:55 PM   #267
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Yah the gen1 was most definitely not good enough. Gen2 should hopefully fix most of the shortcomings like missing HDMI 2.1 support and freesync. And improved IQ too. For the cost the gen1 commanded, it really was too much considering a 65" OLED could be had for about the same price anyway if you shopped around. While OLED has it's own issues, it's hard to justify the price of the gen1 TCL against it.

Fingers crossed that whatever the issues are with the gen2, they are minor.
I'm guessing your waiting for the TCL 8 series refresh which isn't going to be out anytime soon? I see they just released the 6 Series and they dont have 2.1 ports, just some 2.1 features. I guess 2.1 ports must cost a lot of money to add as I dont get why they are not standard on all TV's this year.

Edit: I see they think the 8 series will release by end of year.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 02:32 PM   #268
Riptide

Yah, there is no official release date that I'm aware of at this point. Supposed to be this year, speculation is September/October. We'll see what we end up with, my hopes are up there but I do not expect a perfect experience. Good enough to justify the price, and replace this OLED as my desktop display, is what I'm looking for.

ASUS ZEPHYRUS G15
Old Aug 12, 2020, 05:30 PM   #269
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
My second replacement is under review. Let’s see.
You got it or the retailer is checking it out before they send it to you?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:02 PM   #270
KAC
That postcount though...

After creating a ruckus the dude visited yesterday evening. He is going to create a report and send it to LG factory who will dick around for 2 days before confirming if they will replace again. This time the process wasn’t smooth as the dickhead who received the request didn’t create a job card. I lost 5 days due to that nonsense and yesterday handed their ass to them.