Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 21, 2019, 05:53 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Maybe they are extremely conservative, like the VW GTI and Golf R’s in terms of tuning. The only problem I can see going forward is that the car appears to be quite light, which is going to cause problems as the power ramps up. Putting down 340 to the wheels out of the factory with no tune would be pretty damn good, all things considered.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 06:01 PM   #152
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

It's not terribly far off from the Z4 specs, which is what the motor is from. Not sure why it's much of a surprise. A little under rated, like most BMW's.

If the 1/4 mile times Car and Driver quoted are true ([email protected] 3350lbs), then it lines up exactly with the dyno numbers. Dyno's can be quite a bit off depending on calibration and settings, but the drag pass numbers don't lie. If the 1/4mi pass is true, the power numbers are spot on.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:52 PM   #153
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Only two things are keeping this from an insta buy for me. First, I do want to see what the C8 will look like as well as specs and pricing. Second, lack of manual. I already have the Jag in flappy paddles. If I get another flappy paddle car while I have the Jag, the 4C is at the top of the list.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2019, 08:27 AM   #154
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Old May 22, 2019, 11:08 AM   #155
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Not surprised its power is underrated, BMW has been doing that for years, especially on turbo cars.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 09:19 PM   #156
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

So happy to see Rory doing his thing...
Old May 23, 2019, 09:45 PM   #157
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Hmmmm....
Old May 27, 2019, 11:43 AM   #158
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 07:50 AM   #159
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
We won’t waste words further explaining the Supra’s similarities to the Z4. Earlier this year we learned the 2.0-liter turbo-four shared between the entry-level Supra and Z4 overseas earned emissions certification in the United States. At the time, Toyota told us that BMW sought certification to explore a “variety of uses” but the Japanese automaker wasn’t planning on offering a four-cylinder in the Supra here—at least not initially. Given the evidence we have for an inline-four Supra potentially coming to the U.S., and the fact that the four-cylinder Z4 is getting the aforementioned six-speed manual in Europe, we had to wonder if a row-your-own-option might be in the A90’s future.

We asked Toyota if BMW’s announcement meant anything for the Supra, and a spokesperson had this to say:

“We may have heard a time or two (or more) that there’s a desire for a manual transmission in the Supra. However, we’re confident in the performance of the current setup . . . We feel it’s the optimal combination for the U.S. market at this time and we’re anxious for customers to drive the new Supra and experience it for themselves. We’ll be sure to check back into the conversation at that time and see what people have to say.”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...-transmission/
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:36 AM   #160
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 9, 2019, 02:39 PM   #161
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

the battle we've been waiting for

Last edited by Payne3d : Jul 9, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Payne3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:20 AM   #162
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

12s 1/4 is pretty damn solid.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:14 AM   #163
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AS much flak as this car gets for being a "BMW with a Toyota skin" all the reviews seem to indicate its a very well executed sports car.

So unless you're a brand snob or Supra loyalist (the irony is that I think the Supra has never really been an all out sports car, it was more a GT car. It just happened to be one of like 3 sports car names Toyota owns), it sounds like a good choice for that sports car experience.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:31 AM   #164
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I just don't like it because it's ugly as ****.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:00 AM   #165
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I actually really like it. If I didn't already own a F-Type, I'd grab this in a heartbeat. It's not a car I would get rid of my F-Type for, and it's too similar to own one along side my F-Type.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:21 PM   #166
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:44 PM   #167
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

They’ve sold quite well. I’ve seen 4-5 roaming around base and every single time I’ve snapped my neck watching it go by. Gorgeous car out in the wild. I wasn’t a fan of it from photos but after seeing it ... yeah she’s a looker.

There’s a red one that nearly made me crash because it caught my eye for so long!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Aug 1, 2019, 08:06 AM   #168
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I really do like it. Yes, it's disappointing that it's mostly comprised of BMW parts, but it appears that Toyota has used them in a way that it's different than it's sister car. It's just not a different cover.

I said it earlier and I did mean it. If I didn't have my Jaguar, I'd buy one right away. IMO, it hits the sweet spot of fun and sporty. Yes, I would buy this before the C8, probably because it reminds me some of my favorite sports car the TVR Sagaris (that we never got in North America).
Old Aug 1, 2019, 09:25 AM   #169
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Impressive lap times, the thing moves. It ran a 1:58.92 at Button Willow Raceway.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/01/...-buttonwillow/

Quote:
The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) track record at Buttonwillow for a Spec Miata stands at 2:05.02. According to Fastestlaps.com, a 997 Porsche 911 GT3 ran a 2:01.50 on the circuit and a 997 Porsche 911 GT2 put down a 1:59.70.
Edit: The article says the conditions of the Porsche lap times aren't known. Still pretty decent.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 09:29 AM   #170
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Yep, basically Toyota built exactly what I wanted in a car (a good streetable track car). Had this been made 4 years go, I'd have it instead of the Jag.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:33 AM   #171
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I wish I was a richer man. It's the perfect mix between daily and sporty.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:55 AM   #172
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

If only i were single
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:36 PM   #173
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Impressive lap times, the thing moves. It ran a 1:58.92 at Button Willow Raceway.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/01/...-buttonwillow/

Edit: The article says the conditions of the Porsche lap times aren't known. Still pretty decent.
looks slick with that black paint and white led headlights.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 02:17 PM   #174
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Wonder how it would handle a Montana winter.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2019, 06:33 PM   #175
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Instead of a wing, fit one of these.
Of get someone with one of these to precede you everywhere you go.

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 09:21 AM   #176
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Stradman (YouTuber) picked up his Supra the other day for $10k over sticker. He bought it in New York and is driving it back to Utah. By time he gets home he believes it will be the highest mileage 2020 Supra in existance.

https://youtu.be/sYQpx5Q5p0Y

https://youtu.be/EJpNGstSQ_0
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 09:50 AM   #177
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That car looks like it would be a blast to drive. I like the black on red he got, and the exhaust doesn't sound that bad in sport mode.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 06:21 PM   #178
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Probably fine. My Golf TDi and GTI have done just fine every winter.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 07:21 PM   #179
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Probably fine. My Golf TDi and GTI have done just fine every winter.
FWD vs RWD, and the Supra is quite short in the rear ..

I expect the Supra to be like the BRZ/FRS/Toyota 86 in the winter - awful.

the dealer near me has one. i wonder how much they'd give me for my WRX in trade-in

Last edited by Nunz : Aug 5, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 08:31 PM   #180
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
FWD vs RWD, and the Supra is quite short in the rear ..

I expect the Supra to be like the BRZ/FRS/Toyota 86 in the winter - awful.

the dealer near me has one. i wonder how much they'd give me for my WRX in trade-in
I thought my 350z did just fine in the snow with some Blizzaks.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote