Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default A Look Back At DirectX: Which games pushed each API to its limits?

As gaming years go by so does the DirectX API version that gets new features like improved performance, and better graphics.

So starting with DirectX 7 and ending with DirectX 10, which games pushed each DX API to its limit graphically. (Please post a screen shot of each game listed.) You may list up to five games per each DX API. For the hell of it you can list some OpenGL and Glide (3DFX) games also.

For ex: (DX 7 GM1, GM2, GM3, GM4, GM5, DX8 GM1, GM2,.. and so on.)

Lastly, Which DX version was your favorite and why?
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post

Lastly, Which DX version was your favorite and why?
Mine was DX9 because it brought HDR lighting and improved shadows.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

DirectX 8 was one of the most significant IMO, because it introduced pixel shaders.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:58 PM   #4
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

That's pretty tough. DX didn't really shine until DX7 IMO. DX5 is going to have to be G-Police and Jedi Knight. I'd say Unreal Tournament with DX6 was pretty pinnacle for that API, possibly Glide as well. DX7 I'd have to go with UT2003/2004. Cube mapped water, hardware T&L was a must. 8 would have been the most significant if it hadn't been for the dreaded Geforce 2 era, it felt like games skipped it and went to 9. I'm going to hand the DX8 title to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The big daddy, by far the most important and still dominant: DirectX 9. I have the feeling this won't go away for at least another 2 years, making it 10 years old. The support and updates for it have been nothing short of amazing, much like the features it brought.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:01 AM   #5
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

DirectX 10.

It meant we didn't have to deal with DX9.0c and other variants and worrying whether we had SM3 or SM2.5 or whatever and it unified the pixel and vertex shader. While it was probably one of the least useful API improvements for new graphics features, but it standardized a lot of hardware and demanded a certain level of flexibility in hardware which has grown into CUDA and physics applications as well as throwing the vertex vs. pixel shader performance problems relating to some games and applications (though we've still got them pesky ROPs and enough difference in bandwidth to make similar symptoms depending on the card and architecture).

9.0c with SM3 and HDR was visually the biggest leap towards 'realism' in graphics, though probably not the biggest leap in quality, which I'd give to 7 or 8 (DX7 came a long way but had some pretty fundamental things which it struggled to do because the features weren't in huge demand). A lot was also possible in earlier DX9 variants, but I don't think the difference between 8 and 9 were fundamentally very different, but the later additions to DX9 could have been their own version easily.

But in the end from a flexibility of design and of function I'd give the cake to DX10 and unified shaders.... despite the flop of an OS that it launched with
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

DX9 games can run really well and delivery some great graphics.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Notable Direct X games I remember graphically from 7 and 8

DX7 - Giants: Citizen Kabuto, MechWarrior 4, NOLF
DX8 - AquaNox, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, Serious Sam, NOLF2

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:56 AM   #8
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

DX9, everything since is a dissapointment so far.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:28 AM   #9
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Crysis pushed everythang... yo!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:51 AM   #10
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

Mechwarrior 4 for dx7
DX8, aquanox, serious sam 2nd encounter.

Last time I checked Unreal Tournament 2003 was dx7 with some dx8 instructions, that game was absolutely head and shoulders above the rest.

dx9 ....dx9 is a bit different, there's been so many different generations of dx9 with sm2.0 then 3.0, dx9, dx9c, etc.

DX9 first gen - FarCry and Halflife2, second gen Oblivion and F.E.A.R, current gen, GTA4, Gears of War, Batman Arkham Asylum

DX10 - Crysis.

dx9 has lasted WAAAAAAY too long. It was introduced in 2002 and thanks to consoles, will no doubt be around strong throughout 2010 and even 2011 - that will be almost 10 years on one damn api.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:49 AM   #11
icecold1983
Radeon Arctic Islands

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

dx7 - giants
dx8 - no clear standout
dx9 - crysis
dx10 - n/a
dx11 - well see

fav dx 9 because of crysis

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise...ed-to-suppress

AHAHAHAH WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??????????
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:02 AM   #12
The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH is still being judged by the masses

MDK - using Glide
UT99 - using OpenGL
Quake /Hexen/Doom - openGL

Not really a fan of Direct3D as the primary goal is about peak framerates rather than developing within a framerate lock as it used to be.

Last edited by The_KELRaTH : Dec 22, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:07 AM   #13
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
DX8 - AquaNox, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, Serious Sam, NOLF2
Dont forget Max Payne 2. At the time I remember being very impressed by the details it could render at decent fps.

I dont quite see why you got Dungeon Siege there though, I dont recall it being anything special engine wise.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:17 AM   #14
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

It'd probably be better to use the word Direct3D, since thats what you are mostly referring to. DirectX was the entire group of instructions to reach sound, network, and input hardware besides graphics. OT, I'd say serious sam was the dx7 game by design. It's interesting to compare the recent re-release of that game in HD and see the graphical differences. I dont really know much from other dx releases besides 9.0c since that's the one I've been gaming on for the most part. Dx10 failed because microsoft made it vista-only, 10.1 is only available if you are playing Assasins Creed, have an ATI card and the drivers that were pulled off by Nvidia. I think the lifespan of a Dx release is conditioned by the popularity of the windows release that supports it. XP is still going strong, that's why dx9 has been so popular. Now new computers are coming with win7 installed, there might finally be a dx switch to dx11.
02:55 Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Steam's Logic on currency: $1 =€1
The euro is just a european version of the dollar! ITS TEH SAME THING!!
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:12 AM   #15
poohbear
Radeon Evergreen

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

dx 8 & 9 where the real big ones i think, one added pixel shaders and the other HDR and pushed pixel shaders further.

as for games that pushed the envelope, there's really only one, crysis.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:15 AM   #16
poohbear
Radeon Evergreen

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
Mechwarrior 4 for dx7

Last time I checked Unreal Tournament 2003 was dx7 with some dx8 instructions, that game was absolutely head and shoulders above the rest.

dx9 ....dx9 is a bit different, there's been so many different generations of dx9 with sm2.0 then 3.0, dx9, dx9c, etc.

DX9 first gen - FarCry and Halflife2, second gen Oblivion and F.E.A.R, current gen, GTA4, Gears of War, Batman Arkham Asylum

DX10 - Crysis.

dx9 has lasted WAAAAAAY too long. It was introduced in 2002 and thanks to consoles, will no doubt be around strong throughout 2010 and even 2011 - that will be almost 10 years on one damn api.
QFT. next gen consoles in 2012 will have DX13, that's when we'll see the graphics get better by leaps and bounds.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:27 AM   #17
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

DirectX 7 - Sacrifice. First game to fully showcase the new GeForce 2's.

• Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:08 PM   #18
col200
Radeon R700

col200 is still being judged by the masses

I think "Monster Truck Madness" was one of the very first Direct3D games I played. I was coming from Glide at the time so I wasn't very impressed with what Direct3d could do. At that time, Glide was far prettier and much faster than what Direct3d could do. Unreal was one of the last great Glide games. Quality suffered for a bit while 3dfx was getting out and NVidia and ATI were rising up. Eventually, Direct3D started to really take off and stuff like Sacrifice and Giants were mind blowing for the time.
Battlezone was one of the first DX8 games that really blew me away.

Edit: I meant "Unreal" and not Unreal Tournament...which looked fine with Direct3d.
col200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:45 PM   #19
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
DirectX 7 - Sacrifice. First game to fully showcase the new GeForce 2's.

Yeah, that game fully benefits from directx7, that much so, that it wont run on any modern card which doesnt have dx7 compatibility. I bought this game recently, and it just crashes when launching it.
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:10 PM   #20
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Its on GoG
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:17 PM   #21
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Its on GoG
I know. That's where i got it from.

Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:26 PM   #22
yoz
The Garbage Man

Hm that sucks, i was planning on replaying the game sometime..
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:42 PM   #23
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
Mechwarrior 4 for dx7

DX10 - Crysis.

I would not go bashing consoles for dx9 longevity, as dx10 was only available via vista, which pretty much crippled PC gaming graphics development
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

now with DX11 i can finally forget about all above
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:50 AM   #25
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Unreal was originally a glide game that had an opengl and direct3d render driver as an after thought. It wasn't for UT that Unreal received official support for Direct3d with S3TC and that was in GOLD version or if you ran Unreal for UT.

As for DirectX I think Audio was the first thing it did very well. Even ID used combo OpenGL for graphics and DirectX audio for sound.
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote