Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 23, 2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Any Gigabyte / Aorus RMA experiences?

So, was doing what we all do in these fun times while being stuck at home and had my FPS absolutely crater out at about 10 down from the usual 144 I'm used to. Look about various things and find out that my 1080tis water pump is dead and I'm hitting throttling temps resulting in the low performance. It is one of the aorus waterforce cards that have the closed loop cooler already attached. I've submitted an RMA ticket with them as I still have another year and a half of warranty left, but haven't gotten a number back yet (been about 3 days so far) and was wondering if this usual, or a result of the fun times we are currently living in. Also, if anyone has had experience, what would normal turn around look like after shipping the card? How well did they take care of you, etc.

Wondering if I shouldn't get a cheap interim card or wait it out...

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2020, 03:55 PM   #2
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

RMA's are painfully slow right slow.

I have my dead G.Skill kit, that I'm sitting on because of all the goings on.

Asrock has told me 6-8 weeks for turn around and that is their normal turn around, so I may be looking at twice that because of the reduced hours/staff numbers and they have to pull a replacement from their US offices if they decide to actually honour the warranty.

I'd get a basic card and ride it out.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
RMA's are painfully slow right slow.

I have my dead G.Skill kit, that I'm sitting on because of all the goings on.

Asrock has told me 6-8 weeks for turn around and that is their normal turn around, so I may be looking at twice that because of the reduced hours/staff numbers and they have to pull a replacement from their US offices if they decide to actually honour the warranty.

I'd get a basic card and ride it out.
Been looking at the 5700xt or 2070 super...

Think I'll be able to get an upgrade once RMA does come through as it seems the pumps have failed on a bit of these and if the internet is to be believed, they've been giving 2080 Supers as a replacement since there are no parts to fix these.... If that happens then I could give whatever I buy now to my brother for a rig for him and his kid since he is quite a little gamer right now at the ripe old age of 4, sailing the seas as a pirate in sea of thieves and even doing all right for himself in destiny 2. Would be way better than the R9 390 they've got now though they are primarily on Xbox, gotta get him into PC matter race early....

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 9, 2020, 06:35 AM   #4
Jay20016

Update:

Well, after 3 months of having my card and having the status of the RMA cycle between nothing, being repaired, being replaced, nothing, being repaired, no RMA in the system for this serial number, etc. I finally got an email last night about a replacement. They've offered me an Aorus 2080 Super Waterforce in place of the Aorus 1080ti Waterforce XTREME EDITION!!!!!! that I had before.

Lose out on a bit of video ram (11GB vs 8GB) but I doubt that will be that noticeable. Also have to figure out where the 240mm radiator is going so I might have to get a new CPU cooler since I'm not sure about the top clearances with the radiator + fans.

Upside, RTX and DLSS for free just as the 3000 series is on the horizon

Old Jul 9, 2020, 06:58 AM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That’s a decent upgrade.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 06:29 AM   #6
Jay20016

Got the card two days ago. UPS driver left it on the door while we were having a ****ing monsoon with hail and horizontal rain. Surprised they were still making deliveries to be honest, but still... no knock, no doorbell, no nothing. Lucky it wasn't more wet when I saw the email pop up of a delivery.

Didn't have time yesterday to get it going, but did prep the system for it, and after waking up today a bit early it is installed. May buy a new air cooler for the CPU, looking at one of the Noctua DH-15s in black, but no one has them in stock or anywhere close to normal pricing, so may be a bit. Ended up removing two of the three sound proofing on the top panel and there is ample room to have the 240mm radiator if it is installed closer to the door and not the motherboard. These fans are loud as **** when it kicks on at 100% for the first few seconds, but.... I typically game with my headset so shouldn't be too bad.

Installed easily. No issues thus far. Going to start off with some Metro Exodus to see what all the fuss is about with this RTX stuff.

Old Aug 6, 2020, 08:49 AM   #7
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So how you like that buttsechs?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Jay20016

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So how you like that buttsechs?
Fans aren't that loud except for on start up where it sounds like I'm on an aircraft carrier with something taking off, though in the bits of gaming I did do, I wasn't able to hear anything all that bad through the headset, so.... that isn't too much of a problem.... However, I can't for the life of me get dual monitors working. Have always had the monitor on the desk through DP and a TV through HDMI via a receiver. I can only get one to work, if I put both in, it defaults to the TV. If it is just DP it works fine. I don't get a second monitor to show up through either if I plug it in after using one or the other, Windows or Nvidia CP will just not find it.

Pretty frustrating since it worked flawlessly on my 1080ti and my 5700xt, but not this....

As for Exodus, might need to tweak some of the settings since it just seemed overly dark for the 20 or so minutes I played.

Old Aug 7, 2020, 08:00 PM   #9
Jay20016

Got the multi-monitor bit sorted, didn't see that there were restrictions which DP and HDMI can be used together, until I looked at their user manual on their website. Would've been nice to have something in the box about that... *cough* *cough*

Played a bit of Sea of Thieves with the brother and nephew. They've now got the 5700xt and the little guy is using the XBox1X, so he was pretty happy about maxing out his monitor's refresh rate for the first time.