Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 25, 2019, 05:23 AM   #6001
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Yeah, just to be clear, I didn't mean the literal sound, I meant what it's doing to the turbo. Compressor surge is bad.

But, that aside, bet it feels good to have the job done! Sometimes projects can be such a pain in the ass, but feels so worth it in the end.
Old May 25, 2019, 05:32 AM   #6002
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yeah it’s awesome finally being done. Also I somehow managed to do it all properly zero leaks from any of the connections from downpipe->2nd half of downpipe (the Invidia catless is a 2piece)->midpipe->axleback. Hell yeah! The Grimmspeed 2X thick gaskets are awesome too, well worth the price.

If I have to grab the Boomba BOV that’ll be the last thing I purchase for a long while. I was viewing the injectors duty cycle and it’s much lower than I expected, so won’t have to worry about injectors this year either.

Only thing I would still like to do is take it to a body shop to get the hood and front bumper resprayed and coated to protect from rock chips
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 12:04 AM   #6003
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

First revision of the tune and turbo flutter is completely gone at all stages of power/RPM. Sweet! Exhaust smell has toned down a little, likely from not running super rich anymore. Definitely notice the exhaust smell starting to creep into the interior, so I’ll make sure to spray it weekly with some freshener. I know Chemical Guys made that “Stripper scent” as a joke but it actually smells amazing not like a strip club at all, very easy on the nose and it seems to overwhelm any other smell in the interior.

Loving the car right now. Also says I got 35mpg on my way home from NY. No clue how as the car usually reads 30-31 on that drive. Maybe making some more power is allowing the car an easier time doing 70-75 in 6th gear. I need to get one of those fuel apps so I can track it better.

Car is a load of fun. I went WOT in first gear and I hit the rev limiter so fast I bounced the tach. My face was simply “woah” and my stomach went into my throat from how hard the car pulled. Felt more nuts than the Golf R lol.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 27, 2019, 09:20 AM   #6004
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Awesome, good to hear!
Old May 27, 2019, 10:29 AM   #6005
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Been sitting in the garage for two weeks now. Won't stop raining.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 07:17 PM   #6006
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Finally got around to refinishing the headlights. I posted before about fitment issues with aftermarket lights on my car.

Before:

After:

Used the 3M heavy duty kit with clearcoat. I wet sanded through all the grits too.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H50 | ASRock P67 Pro3 | 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 (9-10-9-28) | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 08:42 PM   #6007
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Looks great!
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2019, 08:39 AM   #6008
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Rounded off the stud nut after 2 days of soaking in PB Blaster. Convinced that those products are all just a marketing sham and don’t actually help
i find them best for light duty stuff... like if you have a hood latch that is sticking or a rusty bike chain

for stuck fasteners the classic ATF+acetone DIY mix is the best short of applying heat
Old Jun 3, 2019, 09:58 PM   #6009
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

New wheel Monday! O.Z. Leggera HLT. Also some new flappy paddle shifter thingies.

Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2019, 08:49 AM   #6010
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Finally got a laptop from a buddy at work for $20. Beat up POS but it's enough for uploading data logs. Finally get this tune sorted out and the car running properly in the near future. I've been running the second revision of the tune for the past week. I left the car idling for 15minutes while I ran back into my shop to grab something .. came out and the smoke coming out of the exhaust was pretty bad lol. When I finally drove off I left a sick cloud

Car hopefully will be running properly in the coming week or so. Now with a laptop I can do a revision or more per day through the week.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 08:23 PM   #6011
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
New wheel Monday! O.Z. Leggera HLT. Also some new flappy paddle shifter thingies.

Very nice mix of class and aggression
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2019, 01:42 AM   #6012
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Started prepping the car for Wednesday .. downpipe is here, waiting on the new bolts/studs and EBCS to come in on Wednesday.

I have the Golf R to drive so started dismantling the car today. After 3 hours still don’t have the stock downpipe off. So many of the bolts are completely seized due to corrosion/rust and it’s an absolute nightmare. I’m worried about putting too much torque on the stud nuts because I might snap the stud in place and have to drill it out. I don’t have the tools to drill it out, which means I’d have to put the car back together half-ass and take it to a shop. This job is sort of too much for me without lifting the car. Working under it with the front end on jackstands just doesn’t give you enough room. Also, maybe I’m just a bitch but I do not like putting so much force on the bolts w/ cheater bars etc while the rear brakes are all that’s holding the car from sliding backwards.

I’m past the point of no return so it is what it is. I can’t get one of the O2 sensors out so after work tomorrow I’m going to Harbor Freight to grab a couple wrenches. I snapped 3 different ratchets today trying to get some of the bolts to break..

What a nightmare. If I had known it would be like this I would have just waited until I was taking to the car for the protune and let them do the install+tune in one shot. Not even enjoyable right now. I sliced my hand open in 3 different places from the wrench slipping .. blood all over the garage and on random spots underneath the car

Back at it tomorrow ..
Dude.. if you lived close.. I'd have let you use my shop and tools.

I don't go cheap on what I have either. I don't mean Snap-On but it is USA made and proven quality. :-)

My tool chest... clicky

I have gotten more tools added since I posted this but its 85% of what I have atm.. lol.

*The Craftsman RP ratchets are the first ratchets I ever bought.. I don't use them anymore... I upgraded to the 84T Craftsman Premium ratchets... sooo much better.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 04:44 PM   #6013
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Not today but 2 days ago.

First track day event. I wasn't out for lap times; I just wanted safe fun with some corners, and I got it.

The car is amazingly predictable, stable and pretty grippy. The brakes got pretty cooked and now squeal a bunch but still work. Leather seats are slippery and car feels like its leaning a bunch in the turns but footage seems to say otherwise.

2 Mustangs wrecked pretty bad but most everyone was well mannered and enthusiastic. Good times.
My GPS said max speed of the night was 132mph.