Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jun 5, 2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Question "Kid Safe" browser

Does anyone know of a browser that you can lock into a particular set of domains? For example, I'd like to be able to set up a PC for my little guy where I can put a link to TVO Kids or Disney, PBS kids or whatnot, but he can not surf to another site with a search or clicking on external links, only to specifically allowed sites. Does something like this exist out there?

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:56 PM   #2
citywok
Radeon Caribbean Islands

citywok is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: "Kid Safe" browser

Quote:
Originally posted by cbsboyer
Does anyone know of a browser that you can lock into a particular set of domains? For example, I'd like to be able to set up a PC for my little guy where I can put a link to TVO Kids or Disney, PBS kids or whatnot, but he can not surf to another site with a search or clicking on external links, only to specifically allowed sites. Does something like this exist out there?

cbsboyer
not that i've ever seen as a standalone browser. the problem is on a windows machine you cant prevent anybody from opening IE
citywok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 04:52 AM   #3
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

The intent isn't really for a secure system, more just to keep an autistic four year old in the right spot to play his online games. There are a few of the games on TVO Kids that really seem to help his fine motor skills like the one where you match the ingredients to make a sandwich, but he tends to get a little...click happy...at times.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:46 AM   #4
nextbillgates

I don't know of any way to limit a browser to just specific web sites. However, in Internet Explorer, you can turn on the content advisor, and it will only display pages that have been rated. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

you can use third party programs to strict access to some websites like www.cyberpatrol.com/ or www.netnanny.com/.....a good site for kids is http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:58 PM   #6
movieman
Radeon Northern Islands

movieman is still being judged by the masses

I think Junkbuster can be set up to 'whitelist' sites so that it will only allow access to sites you specify in the config files. You'd then have to set their normal browser to use Junkbuster as a proxy.

I'm sure there must be other proxy programs like that available too.
movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 06:31 PM   #7
Liuke
Fuzzy Bunnies go BOIIING!

Liuke is still being judged by the masses

If you already have firewall software installed, you might be able to do it w/o installing any more stuff. I would imagine any current firewall that supports multiple users/settings would be able to do this. For example, I helped my dad set up Norton Internet Security at his office so that the secretaries can only access medical-related sites relevant to his practice. It's essentially an allowed domain list. That way they can't spend/waste time browsing on office time.
A64 X2 3800+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | 2 x BFG 6800 GT OC | BFG 550W PSU | WD Raptor 74GB | WD 160GB SE | Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW + 16X DVD-ROM | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers | Logitech G15 | G5 | MX1000 | Ideazon Zboard | 3DMark03 = 20963 | 3DMark05 = 9645

P4 2.8C | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2x256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 and 2x512MB Corsair Value DDR400 | ATI X800 XL | Antec TrueBlue 480W | WD 40GB | Saitek Eclipse KB | Razer Diamondback Plasma LE

Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Abit NF7-S | 2 x 256MB Corsair Value PC3200 and 1 x 512MB Simpletech Nitro PC3500 | AIW 9600 Pro | Enermax Noisetaker 470W PSU | WD 100GB SE | WD 80GB | WD 40GB | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 1 | Logitech Cordless MX Duo + MX518
Liuke is offline   Reply With Quote