Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DaNdo
Radeon Southern Islands

DaNdo is still being judged by the masses

Intel Rumor: Intel Says No to OCing with Sandy Bridge

Intel's new architecture, Sandy Bridge, is widely speculated to be crippled in terms of overclocking capabilities.

Information provided by Intel in its own presentations about its upcoming mainstream LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPUs appears to confirm the company has designed the CPUs to deliberately limit overclocking.

A video leaked to HKEPC and posted on YouTube (see from 2mins onwards) confirms the fact that only a 2-3 per cent OC via Base Clock adjustments will be possible. This is because Intel has tied the speed of every bus (USB, SATA, PCI, PCI-E, CPU cores, Uncore, memory etc) to a single internal clock generator issuing the basic 100MHz Base Clock.

Source: bit-tech.net

Last edited by Android1 : Jul 26, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
DaNdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

At least they aren't gimping the successor to the x58 platform.

AMD is probably going to see a lot of new business from the mid-range OC crowd because of this.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

If the proc provides enough out-of-box, than no complaint will be heard from me. However, it would be nice to get a bit more out of something you pay for than being almost completely locked down because of a chips architecture.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Intel has tried to lock overclockers out in the past and it has never worked. I'll bet we'll see mobos that can get around this on day one. Otherwise, if Intel succeeds, you can count me off the Sandy Bridge train.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:19 PM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

This is a post from Francois Piednoel an engineer at Intel.

Quote:
Albert Einstein said "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" , so, I am going to say it as simple as I can, and you guys can quote me to reply to those silly stuffs:
"Overclocking will be different on SB, but it will still be a lot of fun too, and it will be as good/high as usual, and Anybody who claim the opposite just have an agenda"

Sorry for not sharing my results ... hehehe ... but well, you guys are slow on your SuperPi results and so on .... hahahahahaha

Drwho?
More discussion here
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:25 AM   #6
DaNdo
Radeon Southern Islands

DaNdo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Intel has tried to lock overclockers out in the past and it has never worked. I'll bet we'll see mobos that can get around this on day one. Otherwise, if Intel succeeds, you can count me off the Sandy Bridge train.
yeah, Intel did try to limit OC before, but this time i doubt any MBO would be able to mess with internal clock generator. Only option to OC would be to change multiplier, which is going to be locked in all Sandy's except K-series.
DaNdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:04 PM   #7
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Big mistake Intel. Very big mistake.

However maybe the OC headroom wasn't that much in the first place. Might as well lock it down to prevent embarrassment.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:14 PM   #8
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
Big mistake Intel. Very big mistake.

However maybe the OC headroom wasn't that much in the first place. Might as well lock it down to prevent embarrassment.
Maybe you should check the link that I posted.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote