Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Any chemists out there?

Is there something in this that I can believe will help me stop drinking?

http://www.declinol.com
If you're at a Thanksgiving dinner, but you don't like the stuffing or the cranberry sauce or anything else, just pretend like you're eating it, but instead, put it all in your lap and form it into a big mushy ball. Then, later, when you're out back having cigars with the boys, let out a big fake cough and throw the ball to the ground. Then say, "Boy, these are good cigars!" ~ Jack Handey
efin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by efin View Post

Not speaking as a chemist, but just remember that alcoholism is often both a physical and a psychological addiction. Getting rid of the physical addiction alone won't necessarily help you quit. Trust me.

Your best bet is to join an AA group.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Be a man and MAN UP!

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Be a man and MAN UP!

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Please tell me you are just trying to cut the urge to drink and haven't started drinking again!

If you refuse to attend group meetings, look at some online communities..
The stopdrinking/ subreddit has been helpful to me. Request a badge, post your story, live chat with others..

This documentary is worth watching:

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.

Last edited by Quickstrike : Feb 28, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
mullet

mullet once held a door open for a complete strangermullet once held a door open for a complete strangermullet once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Not speaking as a chemist, but just remember that alcoholism is often both a physical and a psychological addiction. Getting rid of the physical addiction alone won't necessarily help you quit. Trust me.

Your best bet is to join an AA group.

+1 I have seen many people with drinking problems and it's not pretty.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

If you think you have a problem, it's simple, put the bottle down.

I stopped drinking soda's a couple of years ago and I went without any alcohol for a year and a half. It's not complicated.

When you have that urge to drink, don't bite. It's not rocket science.

I don't recommend AA apart from the support network. If you find someone who can help you, go with it. I stopped drinking in response to one of my friends going into AA as a result of a DUI, never missed it. He hated AA but had to put up with it as a result of his program, got a sponsor and basically stopped going once he was done with the program but kept in touch with the sponsor. That bit helped him a lot.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

I stopped drinking soda's a couple of years ago and I went without any alcohol for a year and a half. It's not complicated.

I don't recommend AA apart from the support network. If you find someone who can help you, go with it. I stopped drinking in response to one of my friends going into AA as a result of a DUI, never missed it. He hated AA but had to put up with it as a result of his program, got a sponsor and basically stopped going once he was done with the program but kept in touch with the sponsor. That bit helped him a lot.
Alcohol has a residual chemical effect on the brain that once the trigger is switched you can never turn it off. In AA they have a saying that 'Once you are a pickle you stay a pickle, there is no going back to a cucumber. Saying it is just about putting the bottle down kinda demonstrates a little ignorance on the subject. My uncle almost drank himself to death, only thing that stopped him was a coma. He still struggles with this booze everyday, my brother is an alcoholic and a addict. I have watched while idiots in my family said those words, 'just put the bottle down'. It take a life changing event to get the strength to quit. And even then, it is hard...
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9
mullet

mullet once held a door open for a complete strangermullet once held a door open for a complete strangermullet once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Daddy_Cool View Post
Alcohol has a residual chemical effect on the brain that once the trigger is switched you can never turn it off. In AA they have a saying that 'Once you are a pickle you stay a pickle, there is no going back to a cucumber. Saying it is just about putting the bottle down kinda demonstrates a little ignorance on the subject. My uncle almost drank himself to death, only thing that stopped him was a coma. He still struggles with this booze everyday, my brother is an alcoholic and a addict. I have watched while idiots in my family said those words, 'just put the bottle down'. It take a life changing event to get the strength to quit. And even then, it is hard...
Well said, I battled this with my dad and it was tuff, He tried many times and fell off the wagon many times. He told me once one drink is to much and 10 isn't enough. He almost died from cirrhosis of the liver and this why I moved back home to help him, he went from 2 weeks to live to 2 years, which cancer finally took his life in April. It was a hard life for dad and the family. This is why I refuse to drink.

Jumps off soap box.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I love how people who have never been addicted to something just say "so quit".

If you can "just man up and quit" more power to you... you probably weren't in the grip of an addiction, so it was easy to quit. Happy for ya. Trust me, for true alcoholics it's not nearly so easy. It CAN be done, as I can attest, but it's a long road and requires outside help.

That's all I'm gonna say about it. Efin, I wish you all the luck in the world. Ignore the elitists on here and do what you gotta do to get off the stuff. Your life depends on it.

Last edited by Munkus : Feb 28, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Ignorance? How?

He is a young kid. He's had a bunch of stuff happen just recently in his life.

He clearly knows he may have a problem. When you see your trigger, you KNOW you have 2 choices, drink or don't. Addiction is a terrible thing, but you are not powerless, regardless of the crap they tell you at AA.

Hang out with the right crowd (get a sponsor, they help a lot more than the "program") and since you KNOW what is wrong, just don't do it, or don't over-do it.

Drinking isn't the problem. Drinking too much is.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:23 AM   #12
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I appreciate the feedback, guys. My mother went ahead and purchased this for me. At this point, I'm willing to give anything a go.
If you're at a Thanksgiving dinner, but you don't like the stuffing or the cranberry sauce or anything else, just pretend like you're eating it, but instead, put it all in your lap and form it into a big mushy ball. Then, later, when you're out back having cigars with the boys, let out a big fake cough and throw the ball to the ground. Then say, "Boy, these are good cigars!" ~ Jack Handey
efin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:39 AM   #13
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
since you KNOW what is wrong, just don't do it
Holy ****. Thousands of people have been searching for the answer for years and years, and to think it's just been revealed, right here, at Rage3d!!!

I'll alert the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:39 AM   #14
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Good luck efin. I hope it helps.

Speaking as someone who doesn't "get" addiction because I don't have an addictive personality, I find it hard to understand addiction. I understand the biochemical effects alcohol and other drugs have on the body, and I also know that you can restabilise the body in many ways by quitting said abuse.

However the mental trap is where I see most addicts come undone. It's easy for me to decide one day that I don't need something even if I like it a lot (like chocolate). If I feel I'm getting too heavy, I self-condition myself into believing I don't need it, and I don't touch it. It's like a light-switch for me. I can also turn off ticklishness in the same way, not that that's exactly addictive, but it's handy to go from giggly school girl to seriouscat in a split second. But I digress.

90% of the battle is mental. The physical withdrawal symptoms are nothing compared to conditioning the mind to believe you no longer need it. For what I've seen, for addicts, the mental battle is hard... but not impossible. If a life-changing episode can "shock" a brain into thinking in a new way, then it's possible for the brain to do so without the shock, as long as it has the right motivation and guidance. I read a great short by Stephen King called "The quitter's club" where people quit smoking by having people follow them around and if they slipped up the agency monitoring them would kidnap a member of their family, torture them, and post the addict videos and pictures of the torture, and then return them home, sometimes missing fingers or other body parts . You could condition yourself to believe such could happen as a motivator, but I wouldn't recommend it as it probably would add an additional unneccesary level of anxiety on top of everything else.

Good luck!
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:40 AM   #15
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Start smoking ice, then you wont care about booze.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:54 AM   #16
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Start smoking ice

Unfamiliar with that particular therapy, but obviously worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:51 AM   #17
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post

Unfamiliar with that particular therapy, but obviously worth trying.
isn't ice = meth?
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Im pretty sure court ordered rehab isnt AA(not in canada at least), mom has a been a member for 15 odd years now and its saved her life and marriage. So i would wholeheartedly recommend it. Bottom line to me tho is there is no magic pill to cure an addiction, its something you really have to want to do and most ppl will need help on top of that.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
Holy ****. Thousands of people have been searching for the answer for years and years, and to think it's just been revealed, right here, at Rage3d!!!

I'll alert the media.
It's not complicated.

Looking for crutches or magic pills reveals a continued reliance on the substance that is the root of addiction. The forced abstinence is a further example of that substance still controlling you.

The hundreds of millions of alcoholics the world over have different things that will work for them. Recognizing you have a problem and having a good support network, if possible, is a great start.

Efin, good luck, but at the end of the day, it's on you, not a magic pill.

http://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...ism-72630.html

First hit apart from direct declinol PR materials.

More information about a similar product:

http://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...zin-58070.html

Basically, it all seems hunky-dory the first few weeks of using this expensive stuff, and then you go back to your original levels of consumption. If you are looking to cut out alcohol, go through a program. Not going through a program with an admitted problem is going to lead you right back to where you were when you started, except you will be out of a lot of money.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:33 AM   #20
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I have watched while idiots in my family said those words, 'just put the bottle down'. It take a life changing event to get the strength to quit. And even then, it is hard...
But, it can be done. That's the point, isn't it? It's about self-control and willpower. Sure, the biology may give you the urge, but ultimately it's your brain that reaches for the bottle. The brain can refuse the body if it really wants to. The problem is deciding to really want to.

edit: If it weren't about willpower then AA couldn't work at all. The support group is designed to help the members maintain their resolve. It's not absolutely neccessary, but can be helpful.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Mar 1, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:38 AM   #21
mullet

You can tell by the post of people that have dealt with this situation and people that have not.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I agree with Sazar. I use to be a daily 2 shot of scotch a day person which I guess is reasonable but I use to always smoke near 2 packs a day. I quit both cold turkey when I said to myself it's been enough. No matter what support program or whatever it may be. Your own willpower is really what it comes down to. Fighting addiction is all about willpower and determination much like everything else hard in life.

Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:01 AM   #23
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

It will already fail because you have already decided that you need an outside factor
to stop drinking.

Drinking is your choice.

It is a bad choice brought on by anxiety and your reaction to it.

After a short while, you whole body chemistry will adapt
to the regular intake of alcohol and make it so that stopping
is very difficult.

This is why you simply need to fool your body into thinking
that you are simply changing a habit, instead of "stopping to drink".

However, it is imperative that YOU BELIEVE you can stop.
If not, your own brain will fool you so that your beliefs come true.

All you need to stop drinking is a mirror and a calendar.

Every time you look yourself in the mirror, remind yourself that life
is full of possibilities and that alcohol is of no use to you.
Not only does it not help you with your goal, it prevents them.
This will slowly change your relationship with alcohol.

On the calendar, take note, for a month, of when and how much you drink.
After that month, plan your next month by already setting up times you can drink.

Month after month, space out these times and reduce your quantities.

This will highly reduce the stress of stopping on your system.

So by changing your relationship with alcohol and almost eliminating the physical
stress of stopping, you will have all you need to make the right choice.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:04 AM   #24
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

If you do not have an addictive personality it is extremely easy to tell a person to simply stop what they are doing.

Imagine if someone told you to stop eating or stop sleeping -- that is how it is for some that struggle with addictions. It is a complex disease that takes much more than simply a strong will and good intentions.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:14 AM   #25
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchWRX View Post
If you do not have an addictive personality it is extremely easy to tell a person to simply stop what they are doing.

Imagine if someone told you to stop eating or stop sleeping -- that is how it is for some that struggle with addictions. It is a complex disease that takes much more than simply a strong will and good intentions.
[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/27953243.jpg[/IMG]

Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:16 AM   #26
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/27953243.jpg[/IMG]
**** you, I am bulletproof -- lucky enough to not have an addictive personality.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:22 AM   #27
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchWRX View Post
I had considerable arguments with my mental health med school teachers over this - I always considered, and still do, people who succumb to med/alcohol misuse as people who are wonderful at coming up with excuses but rarely having the backbone to actually do anything about it.

No wonder they told me I shouldn't go for mental health
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

You don't need to have an addictive personality to understand addiction. Just like you don't need to have schizophrenia to understand someone who does. The mental component of addiction isn't rational or something you can just fix with "more willpower". I'm always amazed at how ignorant the public is about psychology an mental well being... No wonder there's so much stigma and reluctance for addicts to get help.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:25 AM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

btw you're all addicted to the internet

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
You don't need to have an addictive personality to understand addiction. Just like you don't need to have schizophrenia to understand someone who does. The mental component of addiction isn't rational or something you can just fix with "more willpower". I'm always amazed at how ignorant the public is about psychology an mental well being... No wonder there's so much stigma and reluctance for addicts to get help.
What stigma is being shown here?

He is looking at an expensive product that seems to be an off-shoot of something else that didn't work beyond a few weeks (see threads I posted, top hits for said products). The recommendation is he works through a program, gets a sponsor or something like that to help him.

If his reliance on alcohol is reduced because of the pill, what is to say he will not be dependent on the pill to lead a normal life? An addictive personality will simply transfer the addiction to something else, especially with a crutch such as a magic pill.