Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Maze
Bazinga!

Maze is still being judged by the masses

Default xbox live silver members to get content later than gold members

Already happening with the Gears of Wars trailer, but it will become a trend.

MajorNelson "So here is the deal..Silver members WILL get access to this..probably in about a week. This is going to happen more and more (Gold getting things before Silver) so you may want to think about upgrading if you want all the latest and greatest trailers, demos etc."

link: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...ar-Ad.aspx#229

who is major nelson?
Quote:
Major Nelson is the Xbox Live gamertag of Larry Hryb. I work at Microsoft under the title of ‘Xbox Live Director of Programming’ in the Xbox Live product group and use this blog as a method to communicate to anyone interested in Xbox and Xbox Live.
It seems to be the next logical step and I think sony will do the same thing (but more extreme) with their ps3 online features. If it's only a week I don't think it will affect silver members that much. But if something gets exclusive and STAYS exclusive for gold members only (demo's or gamevideo's) I think microsoft is doing the wrong thing. But in the end we shouldn't complain. With the xbox1 we payed $60 for only 1 year of online gaming and with the xbox360 we get online gaming + A LOT of things for free. so....

Last edited by Maze : Oct 26, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

While it's not nice that silver accounts have to wait, they sure need more incentives for Gold then just simply playing online . Getting stuff earlier (or later for free accounts, depending how you look at it) is one incentive i suppose.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Last edited by SirBaron : Oct 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:50 AM   #3
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

As long as it is still free for silver members it is fine in my book. Anyone that pays for the service should get first dibs on the new stuff. They are not denying silver members from getting the material, they are just making them wait a bit before they can get it.

Subscription comes with the privledges and if one chooses to not get gold they have to wait a few days I don't see the big deal. It isn't like the vids won't be on the net somwhere anyway.

Everyone wants something for nothing and if having it the day it's released is important then maybe they should actually pay for the service like the rest of the gold members do.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4
KMax
I'm Just a Typical

KMax is still being judged by the masses

I'm a silver member, and I don't have a problem with it. TBH, I don't ever try the demos until a week or so after their released anyways.

::Heatware:: 69-0-0 // ::Wii Friend Code:: 1304 0169 4539 7606 // ::PS3 & Xbox 360 Tag:: Rezeph
KMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:10 AM   #5
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Yes! This is on the right track. Just a few more features and I'll finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth with Gold membership.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Dragex is still being judged by the masses

Thats quite lame. Demo's and videos let the users try them and then go and buy the games...

Fallout3, Mirror's Edge, HL2:Ep2, Braid, CoD4, Crysis WH.

Upcoming games I'm going to play:

FF7 PSOneEmulator, FarCry2, NWN2, BioShockPc, Finish Assassin's Creed,
SW:Force Unleashed, Trine, The Witcher, Finish Doom3.
Dragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:29 PM   #7
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

Sometimes I tire of being right...

Instead of increasing the value for gold subscribers, they simply lower that of silver.

Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:43 PM   #8
aop
Radeon Caribbean Islands

aop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete stranger

LOL.

Have nice time paying for demos and videos.

PC Gaming.
aop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:55 PM   #9
SpeckledJim
Radeon Northern Islands

SpeckledJim is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
Sometimes I tire of being right...

Instead of increasing the value for gold subscribers, they simply lower that of silver.

Exactly. This isn't about getting extra stuff if you have gold, just delaying stuff for silver. As someone with a gold sub, I feel no need to deprive anyone else just to feel better.

You'd think with the battle ahead against Sony, they'd be doing a little more to ensure Live remains attractive.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:59 PM   #10
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I never download anything through there anyway. I'm content with playing offline and downloading trailers on my computer. I get shitty speeds through the 360.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:14 PM   #11
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So thats what the new "cool" stuff being added to Live was? lame.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Dandingo
Momma says I'm big boned.

Dandingo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post
LOL.

Have nice time paying for demos and videos.

PC Gaming.
.....do you have free internet? Because if you don't, you still have to pay to gain access to the net where those "free" demo's are. I pay $50 a month for 15 meg's up/2 meg's down cable......$600 a year.

Also, You can't use the same PC to play new demo's for the next 3-4 years.....at some point you would have to upgrade the PC which will cost at least $1500 over a 4 year span..........

Also try playing a game like Alan Wake(when it's released) on the PC you currently have and tell me how it goes.

I am by no means a console lover/PC hater....Infact, I will be building a Core2Duo rig when Vista is released and it will be costly but I understand the benefits of a PC over a Console, that doesn't mean I don't have the common sense to know that PC gaming is more expensive than console gaming.

I can't believe people complain about $5 a month for service like Live!
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 (648/1476/2484)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

[XBOX 360 250GB Slim + Kinect] [PS3 Slim 160GB]
Dandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:16 PM   #13
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandingo View Post
I agree, I was actually one of those complainers, till I got a 360 and actually started using Live, it really is quite phenomenal, just the ease of connecting with friends and seeing when they are online, and inviting them to games etc. with no hassle is well worth the $5 a month to me. All the other stuff is just gravy.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Dandingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
I agree, I was actually one of those complainers, till I got a 360 and actually started using Live, it really is quite phenomenal, just the ease of connecting with friends and seeing when they are online, and inviting them to games etc. with no hassle is well worth the $5 a month to me. All the other stuff is just gravy.
I am extremely interested to see what it offered by Sony and Nintendo seeing as their online is "supposedly" free.
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:38 PM   #15
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

Most of us have no issue paying 5 bucks a month. It's the 'For what, exactly?' that's the problem. At least in my case, there are no servers anywhere near me, I've never had ping under 180ms, and downloading takes ages. I am simply not paying 5 dollars for the very lock-out mechanism that prevents me from getting the good online experience I would be having without it.

5 dollars a month is not the problem. The problem is that MS is supposed to to earn it. An illusion of special treatment by getting things early is not going to change that.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:57 PM   #16
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I don't complain about Live Gold make me pay it...I can do buy 12-months live gold for just $50...doesn't matter.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:53 PM   #17
Dandingo

Quote:
Most of us have no issue paying 5 bucks a month. It's the 'For what, exactly?' that's the problem. At least in my case, there are no servers anywhere near me, I've never had ping under 180ms, and downloading takes ages. I am simply not paying 5 dollars for the very lock-out mechanism that prevents me from getting the good online experience I would be having without it.

5 dollars a month is not the problem. The problem is that MS is supposed to to earn it. An illusion of special treatment by getting things early is not going to change that.
You don't think MS earns that $5 with what they offer in Live!? Though, if you have connection issues because you live in Iceland then I can understand your comments.
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:32 PM   #18
Waqas
lurker

Waqas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWing View Post

It seems to be the next logical step and I think sony will do the same thing (but more extreme) with their ps3 online features. If it's only a week I don't think it will affect silver members that much. But if something gets exclusive and STAYS exclusive for gold members only (demo's or gamevideo's) I think microsoft is doing the wrong thing. But in the end we shouldn't complain. With the xbox1 we payed $60 for only 1 year of online gaming and with the xbox360 we get online gaming + A LOT of things for free. so....
Not true, sony's online service will be free, there is no equivalent of silver/gold.
Waqas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:11 PM   #19
Dandingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqas View Post
Not true, sony's online service will be free, there is no equivalent of silver/gold.
For now.........also, nobody has seen what the PS network will be capable of(hands-on) and how stable it will be.

Wait till after the PS3 is out and I want to see if all these people think free is really worth it.
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:29 PM   #20
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

Quote:
You don't think MS earns that $5 with what they offer in Live!? Though, if you have connection issues because you live in Iceland then I can understand your comments.
Yes and no. I'm not saying that a paid-for Live doesn't have it's merits. It certainly does. My issue is that charging everyone for something that is only of benefit to some is just plain bad business.

If they only charged for access to their own ranked/Trueskill servers, I'd be perfectly fine with it. They are of no use to me (since they're too far away), so I don't need to be paying for them. But asking me to pay 100$ a year (which is what a gold subscription costs here), when the only servers within 500 miles are some 14 year olds hosting the game for 16 people on their parents' 256/128 connection, is just asking too much. Asking me to pay for something that they won't even properly implement so that I can benefit from it is absurd.

I have a few other issues with it, but I don't want to go through all that again. In short, aside from MS hosted and maintained servers, Live doesn't really offer anything that Steam doesn't for free.

Last edited by hordaktheman : Oct 26, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:31 PM   #21
ThorsHamburger
Radeon Sea Islands

ThorsHamburger is still being judged by the masses

Remember people,these trailers are ADVERTISEMENTS. Nice ads,ads you want to watch but ads nontheless. You should not pay to be advertised to.
Imagine walking into a Block Buster and them offering you two version of a DVD rental. One for $8,and another for $8.25 that includes trailers for other movies.
I can just imagine what most people would tell the person to do with the more expensive version,yet this is essentially what Xbot's line up to defend everyday.
For the love of all that is good and decent in the world,save an XBOT today. Take them under your wing and educate them. Let them know that if they just have some pateince and backbone and don't pay for XBL Gold,MS WILL without a doubt give it for free.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:16 PM   #22
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Microsoft- "Degrading your playing experience to make others feel better!"

Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:38 AM   #23
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

5 dollars a month is not the problem. The problem is that MS is supposed to to earn it.
Indeed. It sucks we have to pay for something that PC users get for free. And on top of that I've experienced more lag and time it takes to find games on Live than on free multiplayer PC games. And I live in Long Beach, California, not Iceland. I know I'm not alone on this either. For the money I'm paying I expect lag free gaming, quickly joining games in seconds not minutes, and downloads to max out my 10Mbps connection.

Last edited by vazel : Oct 27, 2006 at 08:55 AM.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:21 AM   #24
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Yeah the joining game time fcking sucks... badly.

Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:30 AM   #25
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I am extremely interested to see what it offered by Sony and Nintendo seeing as their online is "supposedly" free.
nothing is free in the world
definantly not anything from sony

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:33 AM   #26
UDHA
Clbuttic

UDHA is still being judged by the masses

I think doing this is fine, If I were on (and I plan to be) the Gold plan, I'd expect to get things first and faster than those on a free account, they can wait until the rush has abaited.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
By the late 1980s, Stallman had refined it to a more simple mnemonic:
"Don't think free as in free beer; think free as in [freedom]."
UDHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:34 AM   #27
aop
Radeon Caribbean Islands

aop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
.....do you have free internet? Because if you don't, you still have to pay to gain access to the net where those "free" demo's are. I pay $50 a month for 15 meg's up/2 meg's down cable......$600 a year.

Also, You can't use the same PC to play new demo's for the next 3-4 years.....at some point you would have to upgrade the PC which will cost at least $1500 over a 4 year span..........

Also try playing a game like Alan Wake(when it's released) on the PC you currently have and tell me how it goes.

I am by no means a console lover/PC hater....Infact, I will be building a Core2Duo rig when Vista is released and it will be costly but I understand the benefits of a PC over a Console, that doesn't mean I don't have the common sense to know that PC gaming is more expensive than console gaming.

It's not like you don't need an internet connection if you want to use Xbox Live .

People also use PCs for other stuff than gaming. The graphics quality of console games doesn't increase like in PC games because you can't upgrade a console. Yeah, they do optimize games better but it doesn't do any wonders if you compare to what upgrading PC offers.

$5/month for a service that only offers videos, demos and online gaming is a rip off. I wonder what PS3 will offer if Linux can be installed in it.
aop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:16 AM   #28
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Well Nintendo already has WFC and it will build on that for the Wii, so the experiance will be near identical to the DS. I'm still hoping for lobbys :'(
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:44 AM   #29
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post

$5/month for a service that only offers videos, demos and online gaming is a rip off.
Get over it. Goddamn some of you are cheap bastards. I spend just that much (if not more) on lunch at work if I don't bring my own, and that is just for one day.

EDIT: S***, I mean..I go out with my gf to eat at a restaurant and it's around ~$50 bucks (give or take depending where we go/what we have). That's for one meal! For the same amount you get a year subscription to Live. How is that a ripoff???

Last edited by Clockwork : Oct 27, 2006 at 10:48 AM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:48 AM   #30
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

^Seriously. $5 a month is fine, considering the reliability of Live and all the cool stuff it gives access to. Not to mention that its $50 yearly that you might otherwise spend in one night of partying

EDIT: My point exactly, at exactly the same time

Last edited by Hidavi : Oct 27, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote