Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber
Default Windows 8 or Windows 7 from a gaming perspective

So helping to build a new system,

i5 4670k
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
8Gb DDR3
120Gb Samsung 840
Geforce 650 Ti Boost
Corsair CX750w
all wrapped into a Bitfenix Survivor

Anyway, what are benefits or downsides to going Windows 8? Anything SSD specific? Or is the Metro interface really the biggest annoyance on a desktop?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
So helping to build a new system,

i5 4670k
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
8Gb DDR3
120Gb Samsung 840
Geforce 650 Ti Boost
Corsair CX750w
all wrapped into a Bitfenix Survivor

Anyway, what are benefits or downsides to going Windows 8? Anything SSD specific? Or is the Metro interface really the biggest annoyance on a desktop?
8/8.1 is faster, Metro is only an annoyance if you refuse to learn some of the basic UI changes.

If you are more comfortable with 7 on the other hand, stick with it.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I haven't noticed any significant difference between the 2.

One is a desktop, FX-6300 with GTX 760, 16Gb ram and Samsung 840.

Other is an Asus G74SX i7 2760 QM, 560m 3Gb, 16Gb ram and Intel 330 SSD.

Both machines went from win7 to win 8.

Games played include:

Skyrim
Dark Souls
Witcher 2
Outlast
Fallout NV
Deux EX HR

Couple of others...Haven't run benches for a while, but when I did FPS differences were 2-3 FPS give or take. Nothing that definitively says either OS is faster or better for gaming.

EDIT: I went completely from the gaming perspective, but as a whole, 8 is faster. "Metro" while not as bad as some make it, has it's pros and cons. It isn't hard to learn tips and tricks that make the experience much smoother, but some, like myself, never seem to be able to shake the knowledge that we are using a mobile interface tweaked for non touch use. RE: Apps, I've uninstalled everything I could and replaced them with other versions not tied to the app interface.

largely a personal call on that one.

Last edited by Lazy8s : Sep 11, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

For gaming, no difference between the 2. It just depends on what Windows environment you want to work with.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Litennörd
Radeon R420

Litennörd is still being judged by the masses

Windows 8 has full support for DX11.1(and upgrading to 8.1 will bring DX11.2). Dice has said DX11.1 will improve CPU performance in BF4
Litennörd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
lukilla
Radeon Northern Islands

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

I often see people with glitches on games and drivers specific to win8, windows 7 is the one to get full testing support from devs for years to come. Even microsoft was using windows 7 to demo xbox one games

Ps.- For me, f1 2011 ran like crap on highest settings on windows 8 and some guys were reporting slightly lower performance in cpu limited games.

Ps2.- Don´t believe dice a bit, a year ago they said their future games were going to be 64bit exclusive (bf4 I guess) because it was soo much better, but bf4 still is 32bit.

Last edited by lukilla : Sep 11, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:43 AM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Heres a list of Games I've played since I upgraded my computer and installed windows 8.

Torchlight 2: No problems
Skyrim: No problems beyond occasional crashing from tons of mods
Borderlands 2: No problems
Bioshock Infinite: No problems
Crysis 3: No problems
Far Cry 3: No problems
FC3: Blood Dragon: No problems
Divinity 2: Map glitch
Hard Reset: No problems
Battlefield 3: No problems
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: No problems beyond known issues (sound glitching/quest bugs)
Hawken: No problems
Painkiller Hell and Damnation: No problems
Deus Ex 3: No problems
Splinter Cell: Blacklist: No problems
Inquisitor: No problems
Limbo: No problems
Metro 2033: No problems
Mortal Kombat: No problems
Neverwinter MMO: No problems
Path of Exile: No problems
Portal 2: No problems
Retrovirus: No problems
Rise of the Triad: No problems
STALKER Call of Pripyat: No problems
NFS Most Wanted: No problems
Strike Suit Zero: No problems
Terarria: No problems
The Witcher 2: No problems
X3 Reunion: No problems, but it did crash once
Castlevania: Lord of Shadows: No problems
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:25 AM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Personally, I won't install Windows 8 until MS gets their act together. I was one of those whose windows completely crashed after a windows update run. Guess what I couldn't recover anything either so all my settings/documents were lost requiring a fresh install. Not doing that crap again. Only reason I installed Windows 8 was to play Halo 2 and Halo Spartan Assault. But now I know it isn't worth it.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:39 AM   #9
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Personally, I won't install Windows 8 until MS gets their act together. I was one of those whose windows completely crashed after a windows update run. Guess what I couldn't recover anything either so all my settings/documents were lost requiring a fresh install. Not doing that crap again. Only reason I installed Windows 8 was to play Halo 2 and Halo Spartan Assault. But now I know it isn't worth it.
I also had the windows update crash which forced me to reinstall everything.
However, for me at least, Win8 feels faster, not necessarily when gaming, but in day to day use; the UI feels more fluid, and general actions are smoother.
Then again, it may very well be the "windows phone syndrome", which masks everything in fluent and smooth animations which makes the whole OS feel faster than it really is

One thing is for sure though: I will no longer update my OS just because there's a new one available. For some years now Windows works fine, and unless Microsoft can convince me Win9 will bathe my PC in angel dust, I'll just keep using what I have.
That, or a really low price, such was the case with Win8
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Using Start8 so my Windows 8 is about as 7ish as it gets. No gaming reasons, but things I like are the Microsoft accounts (where you can have a central account for machines in the cloud, not unlike a domain), the new task manager and some of the new file folder options.

If you are choosing between 7 and 8 to buy, go 8 because it isn't worse in gaming (same or better) and metro can be eliminated with apps (free or paid). It has DX11.1, and is the latest offering. If you already own 7 though, sticking with it is not a loss - wouldn't spend extra money on 8 if you have an OS already.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:08 AM   #11
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

even tweakguides.com is bashing win 8 now. He has a recent article on why win8 is a step back. and this guy even stood behind Vista.

Its not a bad OS, but its not in the same league as XP and win7 were/are in their prime.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:18 AM   #12
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

from the quick test I made, it not faster, but problematic. On the same system I build, Windows 8 had issues like stutters and bad consistency, and on some supplement added like sweetFX and FRAPS, whereas there was none in Windows 7. And with all the annoyances that Windows came with, the lack of intuitive UI that make no sense at all, I decided to stay with Win 7 until I'm being forced to. The only advantage I have seen, is it very much quicker to load the OS and that's about it.

Last edited by JonZ : Sep 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Win 8 on an ssd and new motherboards boot crazy fast. Literally seconds. Like 5.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #14
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

No major difference so stick with Win 7 if you have it. We'll have to wait and see about DX11...I imagine its mostly market talk.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:56 PM   #15
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

I guess I'm the odd one out here.

There really isn't much reason to upgrade if you have a well established 7 setup. If you're starting fresh, I would go Win8, for me its been fast and responsive. I took 99% of the default tiles on the Start screen and replaced them with the stuff I use most frequently. The only issue that really stands out was my WLAN card stopped working and I had to reinstall the driver. Thats all I can think of.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'm sticking to W7, mostly due to productivity apps. Even if this were not the case, the metro UI doesn't appeal to me at all. It looks like a hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #17
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
even tweakguides.com is bashing win 8 now. He has a recent article on why win8 is a step back. and this guy even stood behind Vista.

Its not a bad OS, but its not in the same league as XP and win7 were/are in their prime.
He had a couple of valid points. The rest indicate he went out of his way to over-complicate things in order to put the OS in a bad light. When folks do that, it is difficult to view their opinions objectively.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
He had a couple of valid points. The rest indicate he went out of his way to over-complicate things in order to put the OS in a bad light. When folks do that, it is difficult to view their opinions objectively.
I'd say just the opposite. Windows 8 is going out of the way to complicate certain tasks that were much simpler in earlier Windows versions. He was a big fan of MS up until the Win 8 release.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
I'd say just the opposite. Windows 8 is going out of the way to complicate certain tasks that were much simpler in earlier Windows versions. He was a big fan of MS up until the Win 8 release.
Complicate tasks such as?

His specific examples were bordering on the same kind of "fraud" he was accusing Microsoft of committing.

I get the privacy concerns, but he can turn all that crap off. Most of the features are off by default, something you sure as hell don't get in most other platforms.

I haven't had issues with 8 or 8.1 with regards to gaming or opening apps. Most issues I have seen are a result of Nvidia, Intel and AMD not having updated drivers. Don't forget that the number 1 cause of crashes in Vista was shitty Nvidia drivers.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/nvidia...vista-crashes/

These things happen, but overall, the OS is more stable and as fast as or faster than the previous generations.

Last edited by Sazar : Sep 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:51 PM   #20
bittermann
I didn't do it

Quote:
Complicate tasks such as?

His specific examples were bordering on the same kind of "fraud" he was accusing Microsoft of committing.

I get the privacy concerns, but he can turn all that crap off. Most of the features are off by default, something you sure as hell don't get in most other platforms.

I haven't had issues with 8 or 8.1 with regards to gaming or opening apps. Most issues I have seen are a result of Nvidia, Intel and AMD not having updated drivers.
I can see there isn't going to be a reasonable debate with you sooooo good luck with that....
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I can see there isn't going to be a reasonable debate with you sooooo good luck with that....
/me shrugs

I asked for examples because there are GENUINE issues, and there are daft ones that are user issues more than product issues.

It helps to know what one means when they say "hey, this thing sucks..." and you have more than a "coz I said so".

If this is the response you give folks who ask for data points, yah... good luck to you too
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
bittermann
I didn't do it

Quote:
/me shrugs

I asked for examples because there are GENUINE issues, and there are daft ones that are user issues more than product issues.

It helps to know what one means when they say "hey, this thing sucks..." and you have more than a "coz I said so".

If this is the response you give folks who ask for data points, yah... good luck to you too
Like I said I'm not going to get into a debate with you over useability issues that are subjective dependent on how a person uses their OS. He has points that I and many, many others agree with and its quite obvious you don't. If you don't like it too bad.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Like I said I'm not going to get into a debate with you over useability issues that are subjective dependent on how a person uses their OS. He has points that I and many, many others agree with and its quite obvious you don't. If you don't like it too bad.
You may want to take this into the 8.1 thread, because his issues were specifically with that operating system, and I have addressed his points there in there.

It's not a question of me liking it, it's a question of him purposefully being obtuse within the framework of 8.1 and misrepresenting how it works to whatever end. I keep saying there are GENUINE problems with the OS, it is not perfect and I have gone out of my way to help people who have problems and have not been able to find solutions. I have also gone out of my way to tell folks who are happy with one OS or another to continue using that.

But for the OP, there is no reason for him not to move to 8 or 8.1 (especially the latter, many improvements), and I would prefer him to make an educated decision on facts rather than FUD.

Hope that clarifies things.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Win 8 on an ssd and new motherboards boot crazy fast. Literally seconds. Like 5.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
same with win 7. All i see after bios is a black screen for 1 second then win7 welcome. the logo never even shows up on boot time.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM   #25
Arioch
Radeon Northern Islands

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I wasn't too keen on going to Windows 8 but decided to install it on the new system. I have classic shell installed and it take me straight to my old look desktop. I have yet to see an issue come up since I started using it that was due to me being on Windows 8 instead of 7.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:04 PM   #26
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
I wasn't too keen on going to Windows 8 but decided to install it on the new system. I have classic shell installed and it take me straight to my old look desktop. I have yet to see an issue come up since I started using it that was due to me being on Windows 8 instead of 7.
Yeah same here. No regrets.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:32 AM   #27
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have using Windows 8 since beta for system testing and gaming. With the exception of the cludgy way the metro and desktop interfaces interact I have zero complaints, everything has worked fine.

If you do not want to use the Metro interface there are quite a few different ways to get a START menu and go fully desktop. My current choice personally is START8.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

I don't like Win8 at all, seems to be 100% made for touch screens, and even with metro turned off and start8 installed, Win8 will still go totally full screen in some of the menus and settings screens, and that is a no, no for me
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Squeaky_shoes
Rage3D Veteran

Squeaky_shoes is still being judged by the masses

Everything I've read has basically said that gaming in Win 7-8 is virtually identical. I've seen no reason to switch over to Win 8. Why would I want to waste time learning a new Op system when I get nothing out of it? I've piddled with win 8 on a few computers I've fixed before, and I didn't like it. If you like it, fine, go for it...but from a gaming perspective, there's no reason to go over to it unless you really have to have the latest.
Squeaky_shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:37 PM   #30
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky_shoes View Post
Everything I've read has basically said that gaming in Win 7-8 is virtually identical. I've seen no reason to switch over to Win 8. Why would I want to waste time learning a new Op system when I get nothing out of it? I've piddled with win 8 on a few computers I've fixed before, and I didn't like it. If you like it, fine, go for it...but from a gaming perspective, there's no reason to go over to it unless you really have to have the latest.
If you want to play Halo 2 or Halo Spartan Assault then only way to play without installing Vista (Halo 2) is Windows 8.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote