Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Windows 8 Pro Gaming? What up?

So which guys be playin' on Windows 8?
Is it worth the update? I want to check before I invest any time in the installation of the windows 8 pro edition on my SSD. If there are too many gaming issues, then I don't want that crap.

Can we please list games that are tested to work on Windows 8 Pro.
Secondly, can we also talk about SLI or CFX results if any.

Thanks!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

I'm playing on Win 8 pro atm. No issues with games not working so far, though performance in planetside 2 is 20-30 fps lower than it was in 7. The recent patch has made things better however.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Plan on using it for anything other than gaming? If not, why bother?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Haven't noticed any difference tbh. Only bothered with it because of the low low introductory price
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Absolutely not. I'll stay with Windows 7. Windows 8 has bad news written all over it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

If I wanted to play games on a cell phone OS I'd buy an iphone.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
So which guys be playin' on Windows 8?
Is it worth the update? I want to check before I invest any time in the installation of the windows 8 pro edition on my SSD. If there are too many gaming issues, then I don't want that crap.

Can we please list games that are tested to work on Windows 8 Pro.
Secondly, can we also talk about SLI or CFX results if any.

Thanks!
I reckon all of them should work.

Games I have played so far include:

CS : GO
TF2
Crysis 2
Civ 5
Batman: AC
Borderlands 2
Rage
Max Payne 3
Bastion
Witcher 2

<--- System specs under my name on left.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
lukilla
Radeon Northern Islands

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I'm playing on Win 8 pro atm. No issues with games not working so far, though performance in planetside 2 is 20-30 fps lower than it was in 7. The recent patch has made things better however.
No surprise, a cpu limited game. Windows 8 suffers a 30% cpu performance hit in cpu limited games/situations in my experience. F1 2011 is severely cpu limited in my pc and I went from 47fps to 35fps in win8. 99% repeatable scenario, back of the grid in Melbourne

Ps.- Clean installation and all
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I got a key for cheap just in case that I want to try it out later on down the road. I'm in no rush at the moment.

I do know that Nvidia's drivers were a mess the first few months after Windows 7 was released. I would be shocked to find out that their or AMD's windows 8 driver is as stable as their windows 7 driver at the moment.

I wasn't too fond of Metro when I first tried the beta on my laptop.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I bought a Windows 8 key for $15 - for future use - no plans to install it yet on current Win7 machine.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

No problems here.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ive been running Windows 8 for a while, I really don't think it is worth the update from Windows 7. It seems to run most games fine but it can be slower in certain circumstances which I didn't notice happening in Windows 7. I use the Desktop in Windows 8, 95 percent of the time so whats the point of moving to it. I also prefer Aero in Windows 7. Its not terrible or anything I just don't know that its worth the hassle. I can tell you steam has quit running on its own for some reason so now I have to click on it to start it up even though it is suppose to start on windows start up. Just all of a sudden started doing this recently.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
marqmajere
GeeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

Skyrim
WoW
Battlefield 3
Diablo 3
StarCraft 2
GTA 4
Any steam game

Those are the games I've played on Windows 8 pro. No issues. It's a good OS.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:42 PM   #14
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I bought a Windows 8 key for $15 - for future use - no plans to install it yet on current Win7 machine.
Where did you get a key for $15?

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Hadberz
Radeon R200

Hadberz is still being judged by the masses

No problems here.

Played the below with no issues.
Guild Wars 2
Eve Online
Fallout New Vegas
Warlock
Fallen Enchantress

One thing I notice is my startup and shutdown times blow away Win 7 times on my computer and I didn't do a clean install. Just installed Win 8 right over all my crap.

Metro sucks though, so either buy Start8 or get the free Classic Shell then you can have the start button/menu back just like in Win 7.
Hadberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Currently playing on Windows 8:

Skyrim
Borderlands 2
X-Com
Civ V
MechWarrior Online
DC Universe Online
Star Trek Online
World of Tanks
Age of Empires Online
MInecraft

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:16 PM   #17
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Unless Windows 8 plays all games faster, AND I can find it cheap (under $100), then I'm not even remotely interested in it.

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Unless Windows 8 plays all games faster, AND I can find it cheap (under $100), then I'm not even remotely interested in it.
Its already cheap, $40 upgrade through normal channels in the US.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:27 PM   #19
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Its already cheap, $40 upgrade through normal channels in the US.
Huh? Where?

But is it's performance BETTER than Windows 7 for gaming? The same performance is not reason enough for me to even want to learn another operating system.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Nascar24

Quote:
Huh? Where?

But is it's performance BETTER than Windows 7 for gaming? The same performance is not reason enough for me to even want to learn another operating system.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...1-001b2166c2c0
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #21
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Eh download only. Unless I could boot it onto a DVD or something...still, not going to upgrade until it performs better than windows 7. No reason to otherwise.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:19 PM   #22
Nascar24

Quote:
Eh download only. Unless I could boot it onto a DVD or something...still, not going to upgrade until it performs better than windows 7. No reason to otherwise.
That's the only way I load stuff anymore, I have a DVD burner that isn't working anymore and am wondering why I need another one. I loaded windows 8 from Daemon tools from within windows 7. But yes you download and can also burn it to DVD as it is an ISO I do believe.

On a side note even if your not going to load it now this is promotional pricing by Microsoft and it will be going up to regular pricing in a a short amount of time. Better off buying now and holding on to it till you want to install it.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Nov 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:21 PM   #23
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Pretty much my stance... not ready to make it my main OS just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Pretty much my stance... not ready to make it my main OS just yet.
same.. I'm not in the mood to re-install, update everthing ...
Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:51 PM   #25
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Sure, you could pay $15 or so more to get a physical disc mailed out, but if you've got a DVD burner and/or a 4 GB (or larger) flash drive, you don't need to spend the extra money or wait for shipping. Once the installation files are downloaded after you purchase the product key, the Windows 8 Upgrader gives you the choice to install directly from your existing Windows installation, to make a bootable USB install flash drive, or to make an ISO to burn to DVD. Hell, I even made a USB install, backed out of setup, made an ISO to archive, backed out again, then did the upgrade from within Windows using the Uploader; what could be easier or more convenient than that?

Performance-wise, I love it; the under-the-hood and behind-the-scenes tweaks and additions make it worth it for me. Metro's alright, with some pluses, but seeing that I spend most of my time in Desktop mode on non-touchscreen equipment, I dropped $5 on Start8 and called it a day.

For $40 bucks (if you don't qualify for the $15 promo), it's not a bad deal at all

Last edited by Talon_262 : Nov 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:08 AM   #26
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thanks gays for posting your comments. Helpful, I have a spare Windows 7 install that I can rape with Windows 8 just to try crap out.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:16 AM   #27
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Thanks gays for posting your comments. Helpful, I have a spare Windows 7 install that I can rape with Windows 8 just to try crap out.
That's my plan once I can finally get off my lazy duff and put the system together, I'll run 8 on a secondary rig just to tinker with it. Who knows, if I'm impressed I just might install it on my main rig. As of now, no plans for that though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:16 AM   #28
zizbuka
Judgemental Old Guy

zizbuka is still being judged by the masses

If you're on Windows 7, you can get the upgrade for $15. It's supposed to be for people who bought a new Win7 PC, but when you checkout you can put any date. Just put September something.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com
zizbuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:42 AM   #29
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizbuka View Post
If you're on Windows 7, you can get the upgrade for $15. It's supposed to be for people who bought a new Win7 PC, but when you checkout you can put any date. Just put September something.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com
MS has already closed the loophole that let anyone fudge the purchase data to qualify; for the past week or so, they require a valid Win7 product key. Apparently, they have a way to tell whether a key you enter was activated before June 2nd or if it's otherwise ineligible, because I had it kick out three valid keys that had been initially activated before June 2nd.

However, I was able to get one promo code before they shut the loophole down; I'm kicking myself for not getting a couple of more while I had the chance.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:32 AM   #30
zizbuka
Judgemental Old Guy

zizbuka is still being judged by the masses

Glad I got mine when I did, although I'm not liking it on my desktop much. Luckily I dual-booted, so I still have Win 7. Win 8 just doesn't appeal to me on the desktop. I put it on my hybrid netbook/tablet and it works well there.
zizbuka is offline   Reply With Quote