Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Debonair
Radeon Evergreen

Debonair is still being judged by the masses

Default Why no gaming OS with windows ?

This really makes sense to me, to microsoft i'm unsure, be it technically or for a financial control basis, but why do I need vista or xp to run games ?

Why can we not have an option when we use vista to actually dual boot up in a minimum resources gaming OS. All you need is file access, some internet and direct X, and an xbox 360 new dashboard like OS (ok maybe a bit more for installing Mods and editing configuration files) but well you get the general idea. This would make PC gaming more accessible I feel to many people, while also allowing greater resource access.

All the pieces are already in place to basically allow a PC to operate in a more console centric manner. Of course there are some here that like to play games while IRCing and watching I dunno .... Stargate Atlantis.

And of course there would be some here that hate me for suggesting such a thing.

D.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nope. then why even have a PC? might as well buy a console.
Operating systems with the full thing are what make PC's different from Consoles IMO besides being able to change hardware etc and being much much more enjoyable
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I would have no problem if there was an optimised OS that was designed specifically with games in mind, but the way I use my computer it wouldn't really make me enjoy things more if I had to reboot into 'gaming mode' everytime I wanted to play a game with decent FPS.

Now, an OS that automatically put non essential resources in stasis while I game, that I would be interested in.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:54 PM   #4
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Now, an OS that automatically put non essential resources in stasis while I game, that I would be interested in.
That OS would be Windows Vista.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:17 PM   #5
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
LaBlue
aka shortbus driver

LaBlue is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Thx for the laugh.
LaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:15 AM   #7
LaBlue
aka shortbus driver

I think what he means is something like nlite but even lighter. Basically vista stripped naked with a low resource gui catered towards launching games. This could be made in some kind of mode in vista like a "game mode" and it could be launched via an entry option during boot up or inside vista.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:44 AM   #8
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
I think what he means is something like nlite but even lighter. Basically vista stripped naked with a low resource gui catered towards launching games. This could be made in some kind of mode in vista like a "game mode" and it could be launched via an entry option during boot up or inside vista.
Again, Vista unloads most of itself from memory when a game demands it.

Also, I would much rather have a full functioning OS an ALT-TAB away, than turning my PC into a console in order to gain that extra 1 FPS.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:12 AM   #9
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Many times I am forces to minimize games to answer an IM, look at an email, see what's due in class the next day, etc.

I have a PS3 that has a dedicated gaming OS.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Another idea might be to expand the games folder idea in VISTA into more of a "Media Center" like app that puts "explorer" into an even more shut down/disabled state than it currently does. That way you wouldn't loose any functionality while gaining pretty much exactly what your asking for

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:39 AM   #11
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

I think they are working on it. Not a gaming OS but a low resources mode in the OS for games.

They have been talking about it before vista got released we will see with Windows 7.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:28 AM   #12
Oui
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Oui is still being judged by the masses

Your OS uses very little CPU to run at idle, ram is dynamically managed for games. Don't expect huge performance improvements... Games are GPU limited and the OS taxes the GPU the least out of any component.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:13 AM   #13
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
Your OS uses very little CPU to run at idle, ram is dynamically managed for games.
Indeed. I fail to see the point of a dedicated gaming OS with Windows idling at <1% CPU usage (and you got a quadcore).

Which additional resources exactly would the dedicated system give? Would the dedicated system give me a new HD4870x2?!?!?!
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:19 AM   #14
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

It would give annoyances and herpes. Besides that? Not much.
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think such an OS as the OP explained already exists in say the XBox 360. The reason a PC would not have such a system is exactly the fact it is a PC. Computers are designed to do MANY things and to create an OS that makes it do essencially one thing well is to diminish the entire PC to a game box.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:33 AM   #16
Lifestealer
Radeon R520

Lifestealer is still being judged by the masses

Is that to run Crysis or what? I mean common all game run well(almost almost) on any decent pc(600$ and up) Whats the problem are you the kind of guys that dont put any shortcut on his desktop to not "tax" your pc oh yeah and no Wallpapers eitheir this will bog down windows....
Lifestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

pretty sure i remember seeing one of those custom OS things out in the intarweb designed for gaming, i know i read about it here, cant remember the name of it tho.
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:55 PM   #18
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestealer View Post
no Wallpapers eitheir this will bog down windows....
i do this still, its a habit i acquired when i had an 800mhz celeron laptop with a atirage 2 4mb card i had to play mafia on it lol
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:01 PM   #19
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
This really makes sense to me, to microsoft i'm unsure, be it technically or for a financial control basis, but why do I need vista or xp to run games ?

Why can we not have an option when we use vista to actually dual boot up in a minimum resources gaming OS. All you need is file access, some internet and direct X, and an xbox 360 new dashboard like OS (ok maybe a bit more for installing Mods and editing configuration files) but well you get the general idea. This would make PC gaming more accessible I feel to many people, while also allowing greater resource access.

All the pieces are already in place to basically allow a PC to operate in a more console centric manner. Of course there are some here that like to play games while IRCing and watching I dunno .... Stargate Atlantis.

And of course there would be some here that hate me for suggesting such a thing.

D.
Start->Run->MsConfig->Diagnostic Startup.
Restart computer.
Start->Run->services.msc
Start your graphics driver service, your sound card service and away you go.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:16 PM   #20
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Start->Run->MsConfig->Diagnostic Startup.
Restart computer.
Start->Run->services.msc
Start your graphics driver service, your sound card service and away you go.
actually for complete offline/online gaming you need these, not every game will function properly with just those 2

GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:37 PM   #21
LaBlue
aka shortbus driver

An alternative you make a batch file to stop all non essential services prior to launching the game. Maybe also turn off the gui. Then another batch file to turn them on when your done.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:40 PM   #22
ChrisW77
Stuck in the 80's

ChrisW77 is still being judged by the masses

Why not nlite your required OS, then boot straight into Hyperspin ?

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?pageid=previews

It's not just for emulators.
ChrisW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:48 PM   #23
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I have yet to be starved for performance on Vista. The games that don't play well on my computer are because of lack of hardware power, not because I have so much stuff running in the background. The days of gimping your OS to gain a performance increase are over (as we knew it anyway). I remember downloading utilities that would shut down all unecessary applications in 98 (fix em all, or something like that). But I just don't think it's needed anymore.

I mean, I just don't see the benefit of running XP or Vista with only the bare bones enabled to gain an extra 5 FPS as worth it. I mean, lets face it, you aren't going to see as huge an increase as upgrading your hardware would bring.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:19 PM   #24
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For me it's not so much the increase in fps (usually only around 5 ish for me), it's the increase in stability and decrease in stuttering.
I tried playing Most Wanted again with normal stuff loaded and yeah it stutters and stops randomly. At one point when I'm going through a tunnel it actually stops for about 5 seconds, but comes back all of a sudden.
When I did the basic services, that stuttering went away. Now I'm not sure which one it is that is causing that problem, but 99% of the time I don't need flexnet service and remote desktop and all those other services running all the time.
If I need photoshop, I'll start the licensing service myself, same for a few others. And Apple's services I never use but come on every time I plug my ipod mini into my computer, so I just disable them, I just want to charge the battery anyways.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

I use to be a believer in a gaming os. Sure having more resources would be better, but it would be a pain in the ass to keep switching between OSes. Not to mention many of us like to multi-task.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:43 PM   #26
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

I remember the old days when killing every unnecessary thing was essential. These days the only things I need to kill is BOINC and my Weather app. Antivirus, Fiewall, and many other things continue running in the background. Hell, I don't even bother Overclocking anymore, it just is not necessary.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 03:39 AM   #27
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i remember playing gta 3 on a matrox g400, i installed a second windows 2000, stripped down using nlite, shut down all the services, the game went from slideshow to playable, on a PIII500, not quite sure why it worked so well but it did, on my ex's laptop i did it too, a P4 2ghz had a mini xp boot up, and games were much smoother on that, surprising the difference it can make on a lower spec pc...
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote